Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

This is definitely the work of Turkish Mark Penn. I can't wait until she joins a pro-Erdogan flashmob.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
The cushbomb obamacare rant on this week's premium episode is *kisses fingertips*

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

gently caress, agent lowhand compromised

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
had forgotten all about that Den Beste dude. career transition from right wing warmonger blog boy to professional anime tester is some good poo poo.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
https://twitter.com/cushbomb/status/793881463984906241

I don't think he gets the point of the 'economic anxiety' jokes.

Like, no, I don't think the guy shouting "JEW-S-A" at the media or the other one shouting about how they 'sell out for a few shekels' actually give too much of a poo poo about the real unemployment numbers or worker rights.

JohnnyC
Jun 8, 2008
Maybe not but there are a bunch of other Trump voters who do, and there's a bunch for whom there's a real blurring of racist/sexist/PC/whatever scapegoating and their actual economic concerns. Zaitchik talked about this in his appearance, and that + the excerpt from his book here http://www.alternet.org/books/gilded-rage-conversation-trump-supporter-will-surprise-you has convinced me that i'm gonna have to read it

People's economic anxieties and growing class inequality in America (hell, in most of the developed world) aren't myths, irrespective of whether you've decided for some reason that a Trump guy screaming about the Jew media makes them so. Either get used to that or be prepared for 2020 to be a real eye-opener.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

JohnnyC posted:

Maybe not but there are a bunch of other Trump voters who do, and there's a bunch for whom there's a real blurring of racist/sexist/PC/whatever scapegoating and their actual economic concerns. Zaitchik talked about this in his appearance, and that + the excerpt from his book here http://www.alternet.org/books/gilded-rage-conversation-trump-supporter-will-surprise-you has convinced me that i'm gonna have to read it

People's economic anxieties and growing class inequality in America (hell, in most of the developed world) aren't myths, irrespective of whether you've decided for some reason that a Trump guy screaming about the Jew media makes them so. Either get used to that or be prepared for 2020 to be a real eye-opener.

except hardly anyone is applying it to every trump voter? People use that joke because a ton of his support DOES come from people who proudly will tell you his main positive is he's 'not-pc' and all those other ways to say 'we hate the same people'. Trying to somehow shame people who think it's a hosed up thing that we're supposed to pretend Jew-S-A guy probably has very real concerns we should listen to by implying somehow that means people don't actually care about the poor is a pretty stupid stance.

Also the stupid rear end articles about how the poor misguided rurals and all can't help but support the guy shouting that Mexicans and Muslims are evil because they're worried about their jobs almost always takes this weird infantilizing tone that should be way more troubling than people saying 'yea I'm sure the guy shouting 'trump that bitch' really is worried about the job market'.

The idea that Trump's supporters are just Misguided Populists is ignoring actual reality and if we pretend that his rise in his party wasn't on the backs of white nationalists that had been festering in the right wing camp for generations is really foolish. Trump isn't some unique thing, he's David Duke and Goldwater wrapped up in a lovely gold wrapper, and pretending that the root cause is just that most of their support came from people very worried about factory jobs is just ignoring history.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

JohnnyC posted:

I already bought it based on the interview, haven't gotten stuck into it though. so, yeah, racist people explain the world to themselves in a racist way, so they blame their problems on Mexicans, Muslims, Jews, whatever. but the economic anxiety, inequality, it's all very real. lower middle class people are killing themselves in massive numbers by opiate overdose, and I don't think they're doing it because they want to escape a world where there is a black president.

if dumbass liberals don't get their heads round this problem, well... like you say, in 2020, if some right wing demagogue with actual political smarts shows up, if he dials back the racism a bit and amps up the economic populism, and if he actually wants to win in a way that Trump just does not, then Hillary is gonna have her head ripped off. she's barely beating a guy who doesn't give a poo poo if he wins or loses and is by his own admission a sexual predator.

probably doesn't matter anway... Hillary's gonna disintegrate into a pile of dust like a dying lich a month after the inaug, and then we'll have President Boring Whiteman.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
again who's actually denying that economic inequality is an issue that drives some people to vote for the guy shouting 'JOBS' over and over? The issue is applying it to everyone and acting like this is some new thing the foolish liberals are ignoring that will surely kill us all next election when the republicans figure it out finally. This isn't new, white nationalism has been popular in America forever, and ever since Reagan the Republican party has been gleefully courting them instead of just subtly courting them and that's been allowing them to fester and take over more and more ever since.

If there were so many people eager for a less racist populist right wing message why haven't they gone to guys like the Pauls who at least keep their racism coded and the overt stuff regulated to their creepy newsletters and poo poo? Trump very much taps into the social side of this stuff more than the economic. He spends, what, five minutes saying 'jobs are bad, trade deals are making them bad, I'll tear em all up' before going to "THE GODDAMN MEXICANS AND CHINESE ARE BEATING US, LIKE THEY THINK THEY'RE BETTER OR SOMETHING". That's not real economic populism, that's nationalism wrapped in a thin wrapper of economic issues.

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

https://twitter.com/amfmpm/status/794038713282101248

https://twitter.com/Bro_Pair/status/794032440893407232

Sushi in Yiddish fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Nov 3, 2016

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
cia op spotted

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
The goal is to turn the 20% or so of non-Muslim hating Trumpies into leftists. And 1/5 would be a huge amount, even it's not a full basket.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

If your a white person doing badly economically the only thing keeping you from the bottom rung of society is the color of your skin, and Trump is the candidate that promises to uphold that. A majority of people who believe this are probably idiots, but a decent number may just have not been exposed to anti-racist politics that also addresses their material conditions.

Of course most Trump voters and supporters are well off white suburbanites, and not like blue collar factory workers or coal miners. Talking about the diseased culture of middle managers and career professionals that drive them to support Trump isn't popular though.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

Golden Bee posted:

The goal is to turn the 20% or so of non-Muslim hating Trumpies into leftists. And 1/5 would be a huge amount, even it's not a full basket.

yeh but then they turn into no war but class war weirdos

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

Phobophilia posted:

yeh but then they turn into no war but class war weirdos

Yeah those exist for sure

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Atrocious Joe posted:

If your a white person doing badly economically the only thing keeping you from the bottom rung of society is the color of your skin, and Trump is the candidate that promises to uphold that. A majority of people who believe this are probably idiots, but a decent number may just have not been exposed to anti-racist politics that also addresses their material conditions.

Of course most Trump voters and supporters are well off white suburbanites, and not like blue collar factory workers or coal miners. Talking about the diseased culture of middle managers and career professionals that drive them to support Trump isn't popular though.

they're people who haven't fallen off the cliff yet, but they're smart enough to see it coming. and they're bigots so they think if all the weird foreigners are extirpated the good times will resume. wrong, but how to convince them otherwise is the problem.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

Civilized Fishbot posted:

Yeah those exist for sure

they do

in gbs

where you belong

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010
I don't think anyone thinks Trump supporters are a pay raise and a month's paid vacation away from racial harmony, but they derive a lot of motivation and feelings of legitimacy from populist concerns. I've never taken talk about "economic anxiety" as wanting to convert Trump people, but to counter them (which I think is the point of the tweet--liberals think this is a kumbaya thing because they donate to the NC GOP to feel mature). I don't think poor racist Trump supporters are going to see the light if their poverty is alleviated but I think as a political force they'd be more effectively countered by effective anti-racist progressive action that addresses their handful of legit concerns than the America's Already Great crowd trivializing those same concerns and incubating the rage at the status quo that makes Trump possible in the first place.

Just IMO thank you for reading my care post

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

Phobophilia posted:

they do

in gbs

where you belong

Mods‽‽‽

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers
the problem with converting trump types to more effective economic populism is the racist element is intrinsic to their belief system, and converting someone's politics is an extremely tricky and often impossible thing to do, the only thing that seems to work is that person's immediate social in-group ostracises them while effectively challenging those views, just because well you know, that's just how our dumb monkey brains work, and even that doesn't work more often than it does

the kumbaya liberal approach would never work because it doesn't acknowledge this, they're already the enemy in the trump voter's mind, they will never listen to anything they have to say and more often than not, just become even more entrenched in their own bullshit

so I guess the real answer to can you convert trump voters over to the cause? no, and you probably shouldn't bother

Gaspar Lewis
Nov 30, 2007

by Lowtax

cat doter posted:

the problem with converting trump types to more effective economic populism is the racist element is intrinsic to their belief system, and converting someone's politics is an extremely tricky and often impossible thing to do, the only thing that seems to work is that person's immediate social in-group ostracises them while effectively challenging those views, just because well you know, that's just how our dumb monkey brains work, and even that doesn't work more often than it does

the kumbaya liberal approach would never work because it doesn't acknowledge this, they're already the enemy in the trump voter's mind, they will never listen to anything they have to say and more often than not, just become even more entrenched in their own bullshit

so I guess the real answer to can you convert trump voters over to the cause? no, and you probably shouldn't bother

...this is maybe as wrong as it's possible to be.

You describing abandoning them as a lost cause is literally the historical precedent of how we ended up with the election and the bipartisan voting blocs we have now. When the Democrats abandoned working populist causes for the progressive coalition it has now is when the idea of the urban and/or coastal elite being the entire driving engine of the party came into being. You don't get people to change by shunning them, you just built a backlog of resentment and quietly multiplying prejudices that run just under the surface until you get a loudmouth who's willing to tap into that powerful vein of anger. Address their realistic economic concerns while not condoning their social concerns at least doesn't burn the bridge altogether.

Also what the gently caress makes their xenophobia "intrinsic" beyond basic cultural osmosis and hoary old divide-and-conquer scaremongering? Did you pull out a set of loving calipers and check their racism lobes after muffling their screams with an ether rag?

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
ffs theres economic populism and theres (((economic populism)))

so you implement policies for education, and childcare, and liveable wages, and collective bargaining, and repeal right-to-work

you dont try to earmark jobs for the exclusive benefit of white people, or sabotage trade deals if there is an inch of benefit to foreigners, or repeal discrimination laws

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

Like this kid, that started out as literal nazi, but the people at his school included him instead of writing him of as a lost cause and now he's a SJW.

Bonus points for being the son of the guy who started Stormfront.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2013/07/29/derek-black-the-reluctant-racist-and-his-exit-from-white-nationalism.html

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers

Gaspar Lewis posted:

...this is maybe as wrong as it's possible to be.

You describing abandoning them as a lost cause is literally the historical precedent of how we ended up with the election and the bipartisan voting blocs we have now. When the Democrats abandoned working populist causes for the progressive coalition it has now is when the idea of the urban and/or coastal elite being the entire driving engine of the party came into being. You don't get people to change by shunning them, you just built a backlog of resentment and quietly multiplying prejudices that run just under the surface until you get a loudmouth who's willing to tap into that powerful vein of anger. Address their realistic economic concerns while not condoning their social concerns at least doesn't burn the bridge altogether.

Also what the gently caress makes their xenophobia "intrinsic" beyond basic cultural osmosis and hoary old divide-and-conquer scaremongering? Did you pull out a set of loving calipers and check their racism lobes after muffling their screams with an ether rag?

I'm simply talking about converting people to a political cause, not actual political action, in a perfect world parties like the democrats would work towards making the lives of poor and low income people better regardless of whether or not they felt it'd get them votes but that's a much larger and messier topic

and I mean intrinsic in the sense that it's like a core part of their worldview, and dislodging deeply held beliefs like that takes a loving lot and I've never seen a tactic that works beyond immediate social groups

Sandweed posted:

Like this kid, that started out as literal nazi, but the people at his school included him instead of writing him of as a lost cause and now he's a SJW.

Bonus points for being the son of the guy who started Stormfront.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2013/07/29/derek-black-the-reluctant-racist-and-his-exit-from-white-nationalism.html

this is literally exactly what I was talking about, his immediate social in-group rejected then effectively challenged his views, the social pressure coupled with the education (since he's clearly a bright guy) was the lynch pin in that, you take that same tactic outside of small social groups and the impact is lessened extremely

I'm not saying abandon them completely as a lost cause, I'm saying this is very much a local, social and educational issue, that once you take this into the broader context of national politics or the internet, then yeah it's p.much a loving lost cause

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009
“He was subject to a vicious hate campaign,” he said. “A minority of students there made a cause out of hating Derek. In fact, some of them actually made hating him and harassing him in every way part of their identity.”

haha too good

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

That Steve de Beste segment on the latest episode is a great illustration of the sheer stupidity in early blogging era. If you knew how to put words in coherent sentences and liked to delve into controversial topics, you could get respect from people who should've known better - writers with actual reputation and paying gigs. And then:

quote:

With a heavy heart I am here to report that the word has come in, by way of Steven’s brother and Brickmuppet. The final update to Chizumatic was on October 14.

Named after a character in Mahoromatic, Chizumatic was one of the oldest anime blogs. Its domain predated Ani-nouto by a few months in 2006, but the blog itself started at denbeste.nu with a review of Lain in October 2004. Back then, Author was still gestating in the depths of LiveJournal, Omo’s domain was “serenana.info”, Jeff Lawson still had years to go.

From the beginning, Chizumatic offered a strong editorial voice for the most competent direction and the cutest girls, as well as an excellent understanding of the classical blogging, which Steven brought with him from the political arena. Explanations and WMG/TMW were another hallmark. Did you think too that the crow in Haibane Renmei represented Rakka’s dog? We aren’t getting such insights anymore and the animeblogging has become poorer for that.

Though it would've been great if all the DARK ENLIGHTMENT and libertarian dorks just switched to full-time anime reviews instead of doing their vulture poo poo and contributing to human misery.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
Lotta memorable mental images in 55. I think the Matt forney claw prize machine is my fav

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

fatherboxx posted:

That Steve de Beste segment on the latest episode is a great illustration of the sheer stupidity in early blogging era. If you knew how to put words in coherent sentences and liked to delve into controversial topics, you could get respect from people who should've known better - writers with actual reputation and paying gigs. And then:

Though it would've been great if all the DARK ENLIGHTMENT and libertarian dorks just switched to full-time anime reviews instead of doing their vulture poo poo and contributing to human misery.

Guess who like Den Beste's writing.

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

Ha ha holy poo poo

https://twitter.com/ItsTonyNow/status/794233370280624129

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!

"Oh my gosh that's shiney!"

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

Who the gently caress is eating at the start

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Is that what rednecks sound like in Canada?

Literally
Jul 2, 2009

Puppy Galaxy posted:

Who the gently caress is eating at the start

In my imagination they were sitting around a dinner table and recording their casual conversation. Don't ruin this for me.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005
Aren't unboxings usually done by people who don't need help opening a package?

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

PostNouveau posted:

Is that what rednecks sound like in Canada?

nah it's a low-key version of Democrat voice caused by autism

red19fire
May 26, 2010

A cat that can't stop vomiting and making GBS threads on everything probably wasn't meant to survive on this earth.

Literally
Jul 2, 2009

red19fire posted:

A cat that can't stop vomiting and making GBS threads on everything probably wasn't meant to survive on this earth.

Did Amber's cat die?

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

https://twitter.com/BuzzFeedBen/status/794304476702265344

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Lohan squealed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

https://twitter.com/mutludc/status/794307039434510336