Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mixodorian
Jan 26, 2009

stone cold posted:

Well, no, she's not. That's rather the point, as those are the most medically necessary abortions-never performed unless lives are at stake.

Also, cease the political correctness, the term is intact dilation and extraction.

What do you think the third one is? My money's on something good for children :kimchi:

quote:

However, Clinton stressed that she objects to the recent efforts in Congress to pass a federal law banning abortions after 20 weeks with no exceptions. "Under Roe v. Wade, it is appropriate to say in these circumstances" that abortion rights may be restricted, she said -- "so long as there's an exception for the life and health of the mother."

http://www.snopes.com/boycott36-clinton-sanders-late-term-abortion/

I might be misunderstanding, and I could be wrong on how many weeks it generally is into a pregnancy before it becomes partial birth, but it sounds like she'd be ok with a 20 week ban as long as there was an exception for health of the mother?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

Mixodorian posted:

I might be misunderstanding, and I could be wrong on how many weeks it generally is into a pregnancy before it becomes partial birth, but it sounds like she'd be ok with a 20 week ban as long as there was an exception for health of the mother?

that's rather the point, as those are the most medically necessary abortions-never performed unless lives are at stake.

ManlyGrunting posted:

I'm not sure I can vote for someone who doesn't use the third wish to free the genie. :ohdear:

Sorry you have to vote for Gary Johnson, friend.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

stone cold posted:

I thought that was one of her first two wishes...

:getin:

I think she's smart/pragmatic enough to burn a wish solely on winning the presidency, rather than getting the Republicans to implode in a manner that, say, involves Trump winning and then ruining them or something. You need to be careful with these things.

ManlyGrunting posted:

I'm not sure I can vote for someone who doesn't use the third wish to free the genie. :ohdear:

Point, but consider what Trump would do with a genie.

berserker
Aug 17, 2003

My love for you
is ticking clock

TheGreatGnocchi posted:

Well, I guess some good news is Sam Wang's model went up from 99% win to 100% on PEC :slick:

Wow I didn't think it was possible even for that to happen, but after looking on PEC I think it's just some kind of rounding thing, because if you look at the Election Outcome histogram there are still some (albeit tiny) sims in the trialing indicators that show a Trump win. If it were truly 100% you'd think that'd correlate with all 10000 results showing a Clinton win.

Mixodorian
Jan 26, 2009

stone cold posted:

that's rather the point, as those are the most medically necessary abortions-never performed unless lives are at stake.

I thought the cutoff in sane states was 24 weeks? Either way though, you seem better read on this and I'm a man so I'll give it up. As long as women are comfortable with it her position.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Islam is the Lite Rock FM posted:

You vote to run up the score on a fascist.

Can I empty-quote this? I really want to, but if not here's a :respek: consolation prize.

That's why I'm With Her and going out to volunteer to GOTV later this evening and every evening up to Election Day.

Love Trumps Hate, They Go Low We Go High, etc etc. :abuela::swoon:

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

Roland Jones posted:

I think she's smart/pragmatic enough to burn a wish solely on winning the presidency, rather than getting the Republicans to implode in a manner that, say, involves Trump winning and then ruining them or something. You need to be careful with these things.

Whether or not there's monkey's-paw-like effects depends on the genie, I suppose. If it's like Genie from Aladdin, or I Dream of Jeannie, you might be okay. If it's an rear end in a top hat genie like Norm, then caution is advisable.

Let us English
Feb 21, 2004

Actual photo of Let Us English, probably seen here waking his wife up in the morning talking about chemical formulae when all she wants is a hot cup of shhhhh

Potato Salad posted:

Cubs won.

Clark County, Nevada firewall is 55k, 5k above what it needs to be.

More polling is confirming that it really was as many as 1/4 of Floridian GOP who split for Clinton.

Got a link for those last two?

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

ManlyGrunting posted:

Her third wish is that immediately after voicing her third wish, Donald Trump will find the lamp, the genie will go through the whole "You have three wishes thingy" and then once Donald makes his wish, the genie instead kicks him in the nuts and is freed from his lamp.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

stone cold posted:

Johnson's final wish would be to free the Genie, so long as it enters of its own free will into a permanent and binding contract with him to grant whatever further wishes he wants and enforce the non-aggression principal on all mankind via whatever force necessary.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

That's the original poll isn't it? I thought there was more?

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

Mixodorian posted:

I thought the cutoff in sane states was 24 weeks? Either way though, you seem better read on this and I'm a man so I'll give it up. As long as women are comfortable with it her position.

Thanks for being considerate!

Just for edification, according to the 'Partial Birth Abortion Ban Act' as upheld in Gonzales v. Carhart (2007), the procedure is banned unless the woman's life is at stake.

As for the week cutoff, it really does vary from state to state.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

Liquid Communism posted:

Johnson's final wish would be to free the Genie, so long as it enters of its own free will into a permanent and binding contract with him to grant whatever further wishes he wants and enforce the non-aggression principal on all mankind via whatever force necessary.

What's an Agrabah?

Mixodorian
Jan 26, 2009

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

Can I empty-quote this? I really want to, but if not here's a :respek: consolation prize.

That's why I'm With Her and going out to volunteer to GOTV later this evening and every evening up to Election Day.

Love Trumps Hate, They Go Low We Go High, etc etc. :abuela::swoon:

I have a ton of concerns about Hillary (mainly the company she keeps) as a firm supporter of Iran and would prefer about a dozen qualified democrats to her, but yeah I'm most likely giving her my vote just to make her vote tally larger. Since her victory over Trump will be a good symbolic repudiation of the white supremacist and sexist elements of society we are struggling against. Saying this as a New Yorker, if I was in a battleground it would've never been a question.

I voted for Peta Lindsay in 2012.

edit: thanks stone cold for the info!

Charlz Guybon posted:

That's the original poll isn't it? I thought there was more?

Sorry I can't seem to find what I saw earlier, but Lawrence O'Donnell confirmed it on his twitter if you're just looking for a confirmation. From exit interviews.

Mixodorian fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Nov 3, 2016

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

stone cold posted:

Whether or not there's monkey's-paw-like effects depends on the genie, I suppose. If it's like Genie from Aladdin, or I Dream of Jeannie, you might be okay. If it's an rear end in a top hat genie like Norm, then caution is advisable.

Given this being her life goal, I think she'd be cautious regardless.

Anyway, in not-so-happy news, just stumbled across two Bundy-related articles:

The Bundy Clan Is Now Calling for Revolution

U.S. militia girds for trouble as presidential election nears

So, yeah. That's fun.

Denzer
May 15, 2009

berserker posted:

Wow I didn't think it was possible even for that to happen, but after looking on PEC I think it's just some kind of rounding thing, because if you look at the Election Outcome histogram there are still some (albeit tiny) sims in the trialing indicators that show a Trump win. If it were truly 100% you'd think that'd correlate with all 10000 results showing a Clinton win.

They talked about this on their site earlier this week and said they were going to change it to 99.9 if this happened but I guess they changed their minds.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Roland Jones posted:

Given this being her life goal, I think she'd be cautious regardless.

Anyway, in not-so-happy news, just stumbled across two Bundy-related articles:

The Bundy Clan Is Now Calling for Revolution

U.S. militia girds for trouble as presidential election nears

So, yeah. That's fun.

Yeah the eight years of Hillary will be violent unfortunately. We really should have droned them.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Crowsbeak posted:

Yeah the eight years of Hillary will be violent unfortunately. We really should have droned them.
If only we hadn't provoked them by daring to do something other than exactly what they wanted. When you think about it, this is all on our hands, as liberals. :(

(says Fox News, anyway)

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

This is my favourite graphic:

Clinton people campaigning this week:

Hillary
Kaine

Obama
Biden
Bill
Chelsea
Bernie
Warren

Trump people campaigning this week:

Trump
Pence

Melania
Donald Jr.
Ivanka
Eric

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Voted earlier today! Took maybe 5 minutes. They had goofy fancy pens, each pen had various things taped to it, a spoon, a peacock feather, etc. :3:

Everyone was super friendly but methodical, just a great experience. Can't imagine the mess on the 8th though.

And a few quotes from a bit back because I just caught up:

GalacticAcid posted:

That's not at all true.

Link is to John Hersey's seminal reporting on the aftermath of Hiroshima.
His book, Hiroshima, should be required reading. I read it as a child and to this day remembering it haunts me. It is the most convincing argument against nuclear disarmament I've ever read, outside the whole "everybody dies and the land is an irradiated wasteland" thing.
I've not actually seen David duke physically until now.

My immediate reaction is that he is a fleshy skeletor.

Donkwich
Feb 28, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Mixodorian posted:

I voted for Peta Lindsay in 2012.

Your vote for an ineligible person is still more respectable than my 2012 vote for Jill Stein. :ughh:

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

I hope Bill brings glow sticks.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
Nice map of Florida early vote. Eyeballing it, looks good for Dems

http://brianamos.com/maps/flearlyvote.html

Bassetking
Feb 20, 2008

And it is, it is a glorious thing, to be a Basset King!

Roland Jones posted:

Grab it by the pussy?

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

lol glad to see even former Klansmen realize the KKK needs a rebrand if they are going to stay relevant

Mixodorian
Jan 26, 2009

Donkwich posted:

Your vote for an ineligible person is still more respectable than my 2012 vote for Jill Stein. :ughh:

I actually had the pleasure of meeting her, she's an insanely intelligent sister. None of the usual craziness trappings you get from Green candidates

Peta actually showed up in a Hillary ad without Peta's permission and she's really not happy about it, weird coincidence.

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters

Can we get someone to print this out and rub it all over Comey's stupid face?

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Charlz Guybon posted:

Agreed. Most every populous county is blue on that map. Even my county is less red that I figured. Horray, I helping. :3:

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

following these threads for months, and I still don't know what shook and woke mean in a political context

Donkwich
Feb 28, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Charlz Guybon posted:

It looks even better when you view it as a Cartogram.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Captain Invictus posted:

I've not actually seen David duke physically until now.

My immediate reaction is that he is a fleshy skeletor.

you loving take that back or i'll fight you

skeletor is so much cooler than that shitbird

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Libertine posted:

Or the fact that the election rests on a handful of swing states that keep polling back and forth between the candidates and the overall polling this election has been wildly erratic. The no tossup electoral map on RCP right now is 273-265 Clinton. If you think a one-state single digit EV margin = 99-100% chance of victory then I'm not sure what to say at all really. I live in a double-digit (R) state so I don't really have much of a say in this election; but the people who are predicting a roman triumph for Clinton are insane to me.

I'm quoting you because you were the last serious post not as an insult or anything.

Ok.

Holy gently caress you guys calm the gently caress down and have some fun on this victory lap. Clinton's winning you stupid fucks. Also go vote.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Mixodorian posted:

You're really mangling the gently caress out of this, let me quote it again here for context:

quote:

However, Clinton stressed that she objects to the recent efforts in Congress to pass a federal law banning abortions after 20 weeks with no exceptions. "Under Roe v. Wade, it is appropriate to say in these circumstances" that abortion rights may be restricted, she said -- "so long as there's an exception for the life and health of the mother."

The standard set in Roe isn't so much a set number of weeks but instead a blend of trimesters and the more nebulous term of "Fetal Viability" including viability only conferred through artificial means (e.g. NICU with breathing assistance due to lovely baby lungs) which means that there may be an argument for a 20-week cutoff (if by cutoff you include week 20 as non-viable) but that's going to be a highly dubious argument since the earliest-known births are still 21 weeks and change. 24 weeks is more of a definite mark but even then it's pretty much a coin flip and I'd personally rather see something closer to 28 or 30 if viability is truly the factor for anti-choice crusaders. Not only would 20 weeks fall afoul of the Roe standard, but it'd fall afoul of legislation Clinton herself cosponsored as a Senator which explicitly prohibits government interference with a woman's right to choose

quote:

(A) to bear a child;

(B) to terminate a pregnancy prior to viability; or

(C) to terminate a pregnancy after viability where termination is necessary to protect the life or health of the woman;

and to clarify the meaning of "Viability" for the purposes of that legislation,

quote:

(3) VIABILITY.—The term “viability” means that stage of pregnancy when, in the best medical judgment of the attending physician based on the particular medical facts of the case before the physician, there is a reasonable likelihood of the sustained survival of the fetus outside of the woman.

That said, there has never been a viable fetus born in the 20th week. They all died shortly after leaving the womb, because even at 21 weeks not only are the lungs not fully developed, other stuff like the digestive tract and circulatory system are iffy as hell. You're still looking at developmental issues continuing through childhood with a 21 week fetus. Now, if you're looking to jump trains and get on the economic access one, Clinton has for years opposed the hyde amendment/supported overturning it, so abortions could get covered under Medicaid. Yes, the economic access aspect (usually with added points about women of color being hardest hit by economic disenfranchisement) of choice is a consistent part of her platform.

I mean, anyone who reads up on this kind of thing in places that aren't snopes is going to be at least somewhat aware of the facts - unless they are putting an effort into being pointedly wrong for cryptic reasons.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

https://twitter.com/ParkerMolloy/status/793790274870861824

Dunno if this was posted already but it makes me so loving sad.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Mixodorian posted:

as a firm supporter of Iran

:laffo:

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Hey guys, I took a break from this thread for the past 4 days. Anything happened, since Comey wrote his letter? I would look through the backlog, but I'm pretty sure that would make me insane, or certify that I am. And I know you are nice people who will help me out.
It can't really be as bad as 538 makes it look right? Nate even gives NH a 29% chance of flipping. It's especially weird if you compare it to PEC. Even the foxnews map seems better for Clinton than his.

Samfucius
Sep 8, 2010

And if you gaze long enough into a nest, the nest will gaze back into you.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM posted:

I'm quoting you because you were the last serious post not as an insult or anything.

Ok.

Holy gently caress you guys calm the gently caress down and have some fun on this victory lap. Clinton's winning you stupid fucks. Also go vote.

This really really really doesn't feel true to me, and actually I'm pretty anxious about it. She hasn't lost yet, but public opinion has momentum, and right now it looks like that momentum is against her. I think she's gonna lose. I already voted for her, and my state is solidly blue, so I feel a bit helpless at the moment.

Mixodorian
Jan 26, 2009

We killed Mohammed Mosaddegh getting the ball rolling for Iran to become an Islamic state, Iran becomes an Islamic state, still manages to be less cartoonishly evil than Israel and Saudi Arabia who we play along with. Iran is also the most educated country in the Middle East. Why is my desire for the United States to support Iran on their road of rehabilitation, which has started with electing Rouhani, funny??? (I know the choices were skewed to Khamenei's liking to start, but Iranians going for the moderate option is still a great sign)

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Samfucius posted:

This really really really doesn't feel true to me, and actually I'm pretty anxious about it. She hasn't lost yet, but public opinion has momentum, and right now it looks like that momentum is against her. I think she's gonna lose. I already voted for her, and my state is solidly blue, so I feel a bit helpless at the moment.

Therapy, it's good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fojar38
Sep 2, 2011

Sorry I meant to say I hope that the police use maximum force and kill or maim a bunch of innocent people, thus paving a way for a proletarian uprising and socialist utopia

also here's a stupid take
---------------------------->

Mixodorian posted:

as a firm supporter of Iran

:eyepop:

• Locked thread