Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Suspicious posted:

What low level cleric buff(s) will give her more hit points?

Aid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
Good point. That should help a little.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Or I get Branwen who's a much better tank out of the box.

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005
I ran Viconia as a tank in my SCS BG1 run and it worked fine. Innate magic resistance, high dexterity plus anhkeg plate and boots of avoidance made her quite survivable despite the low hp.

Karmalaa70
Jun 15, 2006

Radio Talmudist posted:

Holding down the mouse button...but drat, have I been doing something so basic incorrectly all this time?

EDIT: So I tried just clicking on an item once and it takes five seconds for BG2EE to process the input. Strange.

The EEs do have inventory lag for some people since the latest update(s), but it's usually a 2-3 second thing. The item comparison thing they added is causing it and they're aware of it, but it doesn't sound like a new patch will be anytime soon.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

Suspicious posted:

A couple of crits and she's dead.
Have you tried equipping a helmet? :v:

Viconia gets utter poo poo for HP by default iirc, but if you pick her up early that's not going to be a problem in the long run (unless she rolls poorly). Her low strength isn't ideal, but as Llamadeus said you can partially make up for that with Ankheg armor.
Of course, Jaheira and Yeslick will always do better in that role, but it's not like Viconia is entirely hopeless.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Do people actually use that spell? The duration is so short at low levels I've never found it useful as an HP buff

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

bike tory posted:

Do people actually use that spell? The duration is so short at low levels I've never found it useful as an HP buff

Not me. (Well okay, I used it in my last pen and paper session to buff a cleric boss.) I just pointed it out to make the point that yes, there are low-level health buffs Viconia has access to in BG1. I just keep her in the back lines with a sling and ankheg plate or the Mail of the Dead, as Bioware intended.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
I've never really used Viconia as a melee type, but making her sound so frail is rather odd to me. She doesn't have a penalty to HP, she just doesn't have a bonus. HP rolls are random and all, but next to a cleric with a +2 hp/level from having a 16 con, she only loses 18-20 hit points over the course of leveling up since fixed HP gains kick in at level 9 or 10 for clerics. That is a significant amount, but not a huge amount. She does have low strength, but there is the Ankheg plate and other ways around that. Her high Dex does help her AC quite a bit also without having to resort to giving her the precious Gauntlets of Dexterity, which frees up a slot for something else like a Str-booster.

She's hardly an ideal front-liner (nobody is, apart from actual warriors), but she's reasonably sturdy.

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

It must be fate that has brought us together after all these years.
Not only that, but in general buffing AC is 100x better than buffing HP.

Hell, for a bulk of both games if a 18-19 dex character that's capable of wearing heavy armor has more than a 5% chance of getting hit by the acerage enemy, you're undergeared. End of story. HP honestly means so little in the grand scheme of things.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
HP means a lot because crits will go through AC no matter how low it is. In BG1 Jaheira is usually my tank and even at -9 AC I frequently have to pull her back to heal.

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

Yeah I'm not saying HP is useless, but you're arguing that perfection is necessary because of things that have a 5% chance of happening. Mathematically that just doesn't make sense.

Unless the game actually does have some coded in bias towards drawing 20s on the RNG but that hasn't been my experience.

Smiling Knight
May 31, 2011

I think the issue comes up in places like the Bandit Camp, where you might have 7 or 8 dudes making 2 attacks a round with their bows. In this case, 20s can add up fast.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
Where am I arguing for perfection? From experience I know that "HP honestly means so little in the grand scheme of things." is completely wrong in BG1. HP matters a lot. I replayed through BG1 a couple of weeks ago and I had to heal my tank all the time even with the bracers of dexterity and the best AC gear equipped. Some of it was magic damage, which Viconia has a decent chance of ignoring, but a lot of it was physical damage, from cits or from enemies whose THAC0 is so low they can still land hits without needing crits.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"

Suspicious posted:

HP means a lot because crits will go through AC no matter how low it is. In BG1 Jaheira is usually my tank and even at -9 AC I frequently have to pull her back to heal.

Put on a helmet and then quit worrying about crits.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
When was the last time you played the game? Helmets prevent double damage, they don't stop the base damage from going through.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Yeah helmets are nice but even taking normal damage off crits is enough to require regular healing. Unless you're resting a lot and spending lots of spells, your tanks absorb a lot of attacks in this game. It's not a huge issue, health potions are plentiful and healing magic's not hard to come by, but for a low-hp character like Viconia even a helmet won't protect you from the serious danger of a short string of lucky crits.

Radio Talmudist
Sep 29, 2008
https://www.gog.com/game/baldurs_gate_2_enhanced_edition

Not sure if this was posted, but the EE editions of BG and BG2 (and Icewind Dale as well, IIRC) are being sold at a huge discount right now. I'm seeing like 6$ USD from where I am.

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

Smiling Knight posted:

I think the issue comes up in places like the Bandit Camp, where you might have 7 or 8 dudes making 2 attacks a round with their bows. In this case, 20s can add up fast.

See if you're letting that happen then you probably aren't using CC as well as the game expects you to. BG's gameplay is all about minimizing enemy opportunities while maximizing your own. If you're letting 7 or 8 enemy attack rolls happen in the first place you have bigger problems than your tank's AC or HP.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

Suspicious posted:

When was the last time you played the game? Helmets prevent double damage, they don't stop the base damage from going through.
You could have just written that you assume all enemies only hit her on crits. I mean, with a helmet on, there's no effective difference between a hit and a crit, so writing crit is kinda superfluous at that point. It's not really unreasonable to think you were talking about crits in the sense of taking extra damage.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
^^^ Fair enough.

Head Hit Keyboard posted:

See if you're letting that happen then you probably aren't using CC as well as the game expects you to. BG's gameplay is all about minimizing enemy opportunities while maximizing your own. If you're letting 7 or 8 enemy attack rolls happen in the first place you have bigger problems than your tank's AC or HP.

Not everything goes according to plan though, or your approach could be suboptimal, or you might be misremembering some details, or you might not know what's ahead in the first place if this is your first time playing. It's nice to have a tank that can take some hits before dying to fall back on.

Radio Talmudist
Sep 29, 2008
It's been a little while since I've played chapter 2 of BG2, but I'm getting the feeling I should do planar sphere/unseeing eye quests last. My party is around level 11, would I be able to do either or should I tackle other side quests first?

So I asked Jaheria to leave my party because I wanted to try Viconia. Jaheria seems pissed and now I'm wondering if her relationship with the bhaalspawn is permanantly strained...mechanically, is it possible for them to mend their relationship, or does asking her to leave mean a romance is now impossible?

Radio Talmudist fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Nov 4, 2016

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Radio Talmudist posted:

It's been a little while since I've played chapter 2 of BG2, but I'm getting the feeling I should do planar sphere/unseeing eye quests last. My party is around level 11, would I be able to do either or should I tackle other side quests first?

Both should be doable

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
The Unseeing Eye level-scales and arguably gets harder the later you do it (Gauths get upgraded to Beholders iirc, and you get a level-dependent undead spawn which, if you do it late enough, means Lich + Greater Mummies + Bone Golem or something like that).

Planar Sphere doesn't level-scale and would be hard at your current level, depending on gear.

All romances end when you kick Charname's love interest out of the party unless you mod that behavior away.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

If the romance is already considered "complete", it continues- at least that was my experience with Aerie.

Radio Talmudist
Sep 29, 2008
Thank you! Another question; if I dismiss an NPC and then take them back, do they recoup the XP they didn't earn while I was adventuring with other NPCs, or stay where they where when I dismissed them? And if I dismiss Valgyar, where does he go if I want to get him back?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Radio Talmudist posted:

Thank you! Another question; if I dismiss an NPC and then take them back, do they recoup the XP they didn't earn while I was adventuring with other NPCs, or stay where they where when I dismissed them? And if I dismiss Valgyar, where does he go if I want to get him back?

No xp gain while not in party. They tell you where they're headed, I think you can force them to stay way they are or send them to bar you meet Naila and Amoen in. Save the game and try it.

Radio Talmudist
Sep 29, 2008

Skwirl posted:

No xp gain while not in party. They tell you where they're headed, I think you can force them to stay way they are or send them to bar you meet Naila and Amoen in. Save the game and try it.

Ah okay, thank you. I've also noticed my bhalspawn is like 1-2 levels higher than nearly all the NPCs I've recruited - like I'm level 11 and my NPCs are all around the level 9 range, except for yoshimo. Is that typical? I used the dungeon-be-gone mod which awards the xp you would have won at the start of the dungeon. I'm wondering if something is wonky.

EDIT: Just realized that each npc has a different value for when their next level would hit. I guess that's an AD&D/multiclass thing.

Radio Talmudist fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Nov 5, 2016

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Radio Talmudist posted:

Ah okay, thank you. I've also noticed my bhalspawn is like 1-2 levels higher than nearly all the NPCs I've recruited - like I'm level 11 and my NPCs are all around the level 9 range, except for yoshimo. Is that typical? I used the dungeon-be-gone mod which awards the xp you would have won at the start of the dungeon. I'm wondering if something is wonky.

Different classes need different amounts of XP to level up, and it doesn't automatically give NPCs the same amount of XP, there's like 6 versions of each NPC and depending on what range of levels you are when you recruit them, you recruit a one close in level, if you're at the bottom of the appropriate range they might be slightly higher level than you, if you're at the top they'll be lower level.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Skwirl posted:

Different classes need different amounts of XP to level up, and it doesn't automatically give NPCs the same amount of XP, there's like 6 versions of each NPC and depending on what range of levels you are when you recruit them, you recruit a one close in level, if you're at the bottom of the appropriate range they might be slightly higher level than you, if you're at the top they'll be lower level.

This can also result in you recruiting weirdly high level NPCs. I often end up getting the level 16 Anomen really early for whatever reason.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"

Wizard Styles posted:

The Unseeing Eye level-scales and arguably gets harder the later you do it (Gauths get upgraded to Beholders iirc, and you get a level-dependent undead spawn which, if you do it late enough, means Lich + Greater Mummies + Bone Golem or something like that).

Planar Sphere doesn't level-scale and would be hard at your current level, depending on gear.

All romances end when you kick Charname's love interest out of the party unless you mod that behavior away.

Counterpoint, do level scaling encounters last so that you get the most XP. But yeah doing that one first is vastly easier than doing it last. Planar sphere is probably the hardest one so doing it last is a good call. Easier to even do firkraag before that one imo.

Washout fucked around with this message at 08:30 on Nov 5, 2016

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
I always do my quests depending on what npcs I want to grab, but usually I do the thief stronghold quest first, it's relatively easy and give tons of xp and money.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Skwirl posted:

Most of the good/neutral ones have the option to "stay here, I'll be back" with a couple of exceptions. Jaheira always fucks off to Harper HQ, and Mazzy heads home to Trademeet. Pretty much the rest of them can be left in the wilderness somewhere, which I know for a fact because I've collected them and dumped them on the front lawn in front of my Ranger stronghold for safe keeping. Stupidly I can't leave them IN the stronghold, so they just hang out on my lawn instead. :shrug:

Before I went into Chapter Three I let anyone with someplace to go (Keldorn to his family, Cernd to his son, Rasaad to rebuild his temple) wander off, and left the rest to "watch my stronghold". I know its technically suboptimal to keep rotating people in and out all the time, but this let me do everyone's personal quest, and it felt right to have Minsc and Jaheira along to rescue Imoen despite them having spent the most time on the lawn.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Unless you have a mod of some kind, Jaheira will straight up disappear forever if you kick her out after her personal quest is far enough along.

Also never kick out someone equipped with the Staff of the Magi or you will have to dive into NearInfinity to toggle its invisibility long enough to get your person back. I did this twice. :negative::

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

jng2058 posted:

Most of the good/neutral ones have the option to "stay here, I'll be back" with a couple of exceptions. Jaheira always fucks off to Harper HQ, and Mazzy heads home to Trademeet. Pretty much the rest of them can be left in the wilderness somewhere, which I know for a fact because I've collected them and dumped them on the front lawn in front of my Ranger stronghold for safe keeping. Stupidly I can't leave them IN the stronghold, so they just hang out on my lawn instead. :shrug:

Before I went into Chapter Three I let anyone with someplace to go (Keldorn to his family, Cernd to his son, Rasaad to rebuild his temple) wander off, and left the rest to "watch my stronghold". I know its technically suboptimal to keep rotating people in and out all the time, but this let me do everyone's personal quest, and it felt right to have Minsc and Jaheira along to rescue Imoen despite them having spent the most time on the lawn.

As a completionist type, I totally understand you. What I wish the game would do, since the main character is always in the party and can't die without forcing a reload, is keep all of your NPC companions at the exact same experience total as you. If you bring someone back in after you've accumulated a lot of experience in the meantime, you can level them up. I wish that you could do this for NPCs the first time you meet them as well.

If there's a mod like this, somebody let me know because I've wanted one for ages.

Radio Talmudist
Sep 29, 2008

Washout posted:

Counterpoint, do level scaling encounters last so that you get the most XP. But yeah doing that one first is vastly easier than doing it last. Planar sphere is probably the hardest one so doing it last is a good call. Easier to even do firkraag before that one imo.

I just finished the Firekraag questline, though I opted to just kill the wizard because I was getting my rear end handed to me. For Firekraag and other Dragons is it better to come back at like, chapter 6 and take them on? I can't find any scrolls of lower resistance, which I hear is really useful for stopping him. Could I technically also do planar sphere after chapter 2, or will I lose access to it if I progress in the main story? Should I do because I need as much XP as possible for the later chapters?

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.

JustJeff88 posted:

As a completionist type, I totally understand you. What I wish the game would do, since the main character is always in the party and can't die without forcing a reload, is keep all of your NPC companions at the exact same experience total as you. If you bring someone back in after you've accumulated a lot of experience in the meantime, you can level them up. I wish that you could do this for NPCs the first time you meet them as well.

If there's a mod like this, somebody let me know because I've wanted one for ages.

http://www.gibberlings3.net/readmes/readme-level1npcs.html, especially the Joinable NPCs more closely match the PC's experience option

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

Radio Talmudist posted:

I just finished the Firekraag questline, though I opted to just kill the wizard because I was getting my rear end handed to me. For Firekraag and other Dragons is it better to come back at like, chapter 6 and take them on?

You can do that. At that point you'll be overleveled for the Shadow Dragon, but Lord Firkraag can still be a threat. At least with SCS installed, I don't know if that'll hold true for the unmodded game. I'd at least try beating them just before you finish up chapter 3.

I can't find any scrolls of lower resistance, which I hear is really useful for stopping him.

Sold in Trademeet and the Adventurer's Mart. I generally do the Trademeet quests early because of the merchants there. The smith sells good scrolls.

Could I technically also do planar sphere after chapter 2, or will I lose access to it if I progress in the main story? Should I do because I need as much XP as possible for the later chapters?

You can do it in chapter 2, 3 or 6. Chapters 2 and 3 are just one big chapter anyway.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Smol posted:

http://www.gibberlings3.net/readmes/readme-level1npcs.html, especially the Joinable NPCs more closely match the PC's experience option

Much obliged.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radio Talmudist
Sep 29, 2008

Thank you for this. Another question for the thread; I've noticed that despite memorizing stoneskin, and being able to use it before, it's darked out in my spellbook and I can't use it after rests. Any idea what might be happening?

Radio Talmudist fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Nov 6, 2016