Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Horrible parking brake failure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

PCOS Bill posted:

I was under the impression milk in bags was all of Canada

Alberta used to have milk in bags but then something happened. We also had home milk delivery and fake bricks on the outside of our homes in which to place money for the milk deliveryman and in which he would place the milk to insulate it against the cold.

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

Powershift posted:

The update for My Summer car looks pretty awesome.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

G-Mach posted:

Well it is a documentary.

I saw Trailer Park Boys Live a couple weeks ago. It was spectacular.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Powershift posted:

Doesn't look like a keeper. He'll have to throw it back. :(

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Deteriorata posted:

Doesn't look like a keeper. He'll have to throw it back. :(

It was tough but they still ate it.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Sagebrush posted:

It's been available that way in all the parts of Canada I've lived.

Plastic gallon jugs are getting more common, though. When I was a kid it was bags or nothing.

I need to compare a gallon jug and a 4L jug and see if they're actually the same size jug. They look about the same.
What I really wish we had were the tetra-pak milk containers like I got when I was in the Czech Republic. They don't need to be refrigerated until opened.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

CharlesM posted:

I need to compare a gallon jug and a 4L jug and see if they're actually the same size jug. They look about the same.
What I really wish we had were the tetra-pak milk containers like I got when I was in the Czech Republic. They don't need to be refrigerated until opened.

We have those, it's called high temperature pasturized milk and it's usually on the shelf with the juices. More often than not it's either strawberry or chocolate flavored to mask the "cooked milk" taste that a lot of people find unpleasant.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Powershift posted:

We have those, it's called high temperature pasturized milk and it's usually on the shelf with the juices. More often than not it's either strawberry or chocolate flavored to mask the "cooked milk" taste that a lot of people find unpleasant.

Organic milk is also commonly UHT for whatever reason, perhaps because its shipped farther, or just because thats what the organic dairies invested in.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
UHT milk should be loving outlawed, so gross.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
Just here to confirm we had milk bags in elementary school here in Wisconsin. But then again were pretty much Canadian stepchildren.

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

bolind posted:

UHT milk should be loving outlawed, so gross.

When you only drink milk in coffee or cereal, UHT is fine. I like milk that I don't have to buy in friggin quart increments to prevent it from spoiling.

I am endlessly amused though that my in-laws are dairy farmers and they HAAAATE milk. They don't even keep it in the house.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
I actually really like the taste and mouth feel of UHT milk.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Preoptopus posted:

Just here to confirm we had milk bags in elementary school here in Wisconsin. But then again were pretty much Canadian stepchildren.

We had them in middle school in Illinois, but not in elementary school (same district) or high school. I think they were conducting an experiment to see if they'd keep using them.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

CharlesM posted:

Yeah when I was in the US Army we had Parmalat UHT milk. Great stuff.

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!
Kwik Trip in Wisconsin sells bagged milk. I believe in bags.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Kwik Trips are the weirdest gas stations I've ever been to, but in a good way. They're clean and look more like grocery stores. They also seem to shy away from major brands, there's a lot of knockoffs in there. But it's generally good quality.. for gas station food.

I normally tend towards Love's or Flying J when road tripping but I think when I'm doing the Minnesota/Wisconsin drives I'm going to make the shift towards the stations with a poorly spelled name.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!

xzzy posted:

Kwik Trips are the weirdest gas stations I've ever been to, but in a good way. They're clean and look more like grocery stores. They also seem to shy away from major brands, there's a lot of knockoffs in there. But it's generally good quality.. for gas station food.

Which part of the country is Kwik Trip in?

Around here, we have QuikTrip, which is completely different company with a similar name.

Throatwarbler posted:

I actually really like the taste and mouth feel of UHT milk.

Had some on my honeymoon while in Spain. Was pretty good.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Preoptopus posted:

My elementary school tried them for all of one week in AZ. One very messy week.

cursedshitbox posted:

ahahahaha loving crying.

The rage of a man who has seen things.

Biscuit Joiner
May 18, 2008

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

xergm posted:

Which part of the country is Kwik Trip in?

Googling them, they started in Wisconsin and have spread into Minnesota and Iowa.

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!
I think they have a different name in MN and IA. They have their own brands for everything and its generally pretty good, the downside is when you want something specific and they don't carry it because their shelves are full of their own brands.

Wandering Orange
Sep 8, 2012

Midwest gas station discussion and no mention of my favorite place to pump a load, disappointing. Everyone loves Kum And Go.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I have never visited one of those because it would be impossible to avoid making the jokes.

G-Mach
Feb 6, 2011

thebigcow posted:

I think they have a different name in MN and IA. They have their own brands for everything and its generally pretty good, the downside is when you want something specific and they don't carry it because their shelves are full of their own brands.

Kwik Trip is also under the name of Kwik Star. Kwik Trip has it's own store brands because ,"Unlike many other convenience store chains, the company is vertically integrated across most of its product lines." Kwik Trip is a privately owned by a the Zietlow family and they pay their employees pretty well plus if you want you can get 40 hours a week and they do provide full benefits like health, 401k, and profit sharing of 40% of company's profit at end of year

They are basically the Costco of the convenience/gas store world.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.
Interestingly, Quik Trip also takes good care of its folks.
e:
Incipient mechanical failure:

On a 5000+ pound car.

joat mon fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Nov 3, 2016

Joe Mama
May 10, 2008

G-Mach posted:

Kwik Trip is also under the name of Kwik Star. Kwik Trip has it's own store brands because ,"Unlike many other convenience store chains, the company is vertically integrated across most of its product lines." Kwik Trip is a privately owned by a the Zietlow family and they pay their employees pretty well plus if you want you can get 40 hours a week and they do provide full benefits like health, 401k, and profit sharing of 40% of company's profit at end of year

I concur. Kwik Trip was just taking off when I left MN. My friend works there as a second job and has nothing but good things to say about it.

Also, the best milk I've ever had was 'straight from the cow' basically. Pull the container out of the fridge, scrape off the coagulated fat and take a swig. I'll never drink any milk less than whole.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Alberta used to have milk in bags but then something happened. We also had home milk delivery and fake bricks on the outside of our homes in which to place money for the milk deliveryman and in which he would place the milk to insulate it against the cold.

:bahgawd:

That's old even for me. I remember grandpa and grandma having milk delivery and how they left tokens for the delivery man. He had a full dairy price list in tokens, like 1l of milk 2 tokens, cottage cheese 3, chocolate milk 2, etc. I thought that would be the coolest job ever when I was 5 years old.

I am thinking that disappeared in the early 80s?

I can't remember the last time I saw milk bags. I will keep an eye out next time I go shopping to see if they are even available here.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Milk chat: I don't get why half a gallon of milk costs more than a gallon at a lot of stores. At Winco they're within 20 cents of each other, but the half gallon is still more.

I don't go through enough milk to justify buying a gallon, damnit.

G-Mach posted:

QuikTrip is also privately owned, pays well for retail (except for part timers, I think they only get something like $9/hr before bonuses), and has good benefits. They're only in the south though, and I believe Dallas/Ft Worth is their largest market. Oddly, DFW is the only part of Texas they're in, aside from a couple of stragglers an hour or so outside of DFW.

Have a couple of friends who are store managers for them, they're doing pretty good for retail - something like 60k before bonuses? IIRC entry level managers start out making nearly $40k... and pretty much always bonus. Even the hourly part timers get bonuses. BONUSES FOR EVERYBODY! QT's gas is also top tier certified, and they tend to be reasonably priced for gas. I generally get my gas from them.

Their biggest competitor here is Racetrac (known as Raceway in some states). Which, interestingly enough, is a much older company, also privately held, and has close to the same number of locations. It's pretty common to see them pop up within a block of QuikTrips, and vice versa. They don't pay nearly as well though, and their gas is not top tier. Their beer (and, well, all items in the store) seem to be a little bit cheaper, their gas prices are generally with a couple of cents of the nearest QuikTrip.

Buc-ee's has started making an appearance locally. They apparently pay extremely well for retail (lowest hourly position is $13/hr according to an article I dug up, shift managers make $18/hour), but their restrooms are clean enough to eat off of the floors (with full time employees dedicated to keeping them clean), and the one here in DFW is larger than the Whole Foods I used to work at (which was 60,000 sq ft). They're only in Texas. Hell I wouldn't mind working for them, if there was one a bit closer; the only one in DFW is an hour and a half away.

http://www.bonappetit.com/restaurants-travel/article/buc-ees-rest-stop-texas

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

Milk chat: I don't get why half a gallon of milk costs more than a gallon at a lot of stores. At Winco they're within 20 cents of each other, but the half gallon is still more.

I don't go through enough milk to justify buying a gallon, damnit.

That's precisely why. The gallon is cheaper by unit cost, but you'll dump half of it out when it goes bad. If they're the same price, you're actually ahead if you drink more than half of the gallon before it spoils, but we all feel guilty for dumping out excess food so we tend to buy what we will use, and not more. Stores know this and maximize their income.

Milk has a limited shelf life, so you're paying for that. You can't buy in bulk and store the excess forever.

One solution may be to increase your milk consumption by cooking more dishes that use it as an ingredient. That would give you the benefit of the lower unit cost of the gallon milk, while not feeling force to consume it as straight liquid.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

If I actually drink milk, I'm going to be chained to the toilet for the next day or so.

I can handle it as an ingredient, and can even handle a bowl of cereal, but actually drinking a glass of milk makes my digestive system go into "gently caress you and die" mode. A smoothie makes me gassy as hell for a bit, but I'm not making GBS threads myself with them.

Somehow Winco only charges a little over $1 for a gallon, while even Wal-Mart is around $3. Guessing they're selling it as a loss leader..

I'll probably go through a bit more milk once I get a blender again and start making my own smoothies. But for now I pretty much only use it for cereal, oatmeal, coffee, and I add it to scrambled eggs before I cook them.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Nov 3, 2016

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Being able to digest lactose probably isnt the greatest perk of being white, but sometimes it feels like it.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

Cause they're ripping you off. At my local grocery store a half-gallon is like $2.79 and a gallon is $3.89 or something. So half the size costs more by volume than the larger package, as is normal, but it's not literally more expensive than the larger one.

milk chat

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

I... don't really feel ripped off after seeing your prices.

I think the gallons are around $1.10 there, though.

I just checked Kroger's weekly ad.. half gallons are on sale this week for $0.99. :sigh: But gently caress if I want to spend 10 more minutes in another store several miles away (though on my way home) to save 35 cents. Kroger is generally the most affordable of the major grocery chains here, but still a lot more than Winco. Our major chains are Kroger, Safeway (operating as both Tom Thumb and Albertsons), Winco, Sprouts, and Wal-Mart Neighborhood Market. And WM just closed a bunch of their neighborhood markets. We have several smaller chains here - United (operating as Market Street, which is their upscale brand, but I think United is primarily a Texas-only thing), H-E-B (very much a Texas-only thing, operating as Central Market - also their upscale brand), Whole Foods, Fiesta, Save-A-Lot, Aldi, Trader Joe's, and a couple of others I can't think of - but none of those are close to me. And aside from Aldi and Fiesta, they're a lot more expensive on everything.

I would love for H-E-B to open an actual H-E-B store in DFW - they're the main grocery chain in the Austin area, and their stores are awesome for both prices and selection - but they've gone on record multiple times saying they have no plans of expanding north of I-20, aside from their Central Market brand.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Nov 3, 2016

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Apparently milk prices work much like gas prices: I'm in Norway, where the usual container is a liter, the large and less common container is 1.75l, and it costs about $2/L (so around $8/gallon).

It's protectionism instead of taxes this time around, though.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
For some reason, all groceries are fuckoff expensive in Norway. Only place I've ever seen half a cucumber for sale.

Milk here (Denmark) is between $0.75 and $1.50 per liter, depending on fanciness (probably comes from the same loving dairy.) But then it's always fresh and delicious.

Best milk? Organic, non-homogenized 1.5%. Cold but not too cold.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Probably because we try to keep farming alive in a country that's mostly unsuited to it - it's basically us paying to keep the countryside populated (or the farmers out of the cities, I guess).

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I go through a gallon of milk pretty quickly. Sucks for you nerds who can't drink it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Deteriorata posted:

That's precisely why. The gallon is cheaper by unit cost, but you'll dump half of it out when it goes bad. If they're the same price, you're actually ahead if you drink more than half of the gallon before it spoils, but we all feel guilty for dumping out excess food so we tend to buy what we will use, and not more. Stores know this and maximize their income.

Milk has a limited shelf life, so you're paying for that. You can't buy in bulk and store the excess forever.

One solution may be to increase your milk consumption by cooking more dishes that use it as an ingredient. That would give you the benefit of the lower unit cost of the gallon milk, while not feeling force to consume it as straight liquid.

Brb, gonna buy up milk by the gallon and then make a killing in the bootleg cheese market