Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I think there's something wrong with me I just keep watching Sportscenter highlights of the game and smiling

even their bad jokes have no effect on me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again
Your face reminds me of a bleak future
Despite the absence of hope
I give you this sacrifice

LethalGeek posted:

I don't watch like any baseball since I was a kid. this was one of the craziest best series ever right? Like I shouldn't bother watching anything else cause that seemed like as good as it gets.

The fact that it was Game 7 of the WS magnified it, but yeah. Another similarly great game was the 2009 AL Central Tiebreaker.

Senf
Nov 12, 2006

Popete posted:

The almost complete silence of thousands of people outside the stadium after the Rajai homerun was crushing. Then the rain delay just prolonged everyone's anxiety, some people wondering if it would go all night. I couldn't stop moving during the bottom of the 10th with 2 outs. It was like every force in the universe was colliding in that moment and we came out with a World Series win. It's gonna take some time to set in, but for now I'm ecstatic and it's almost 2 AM and I don't think I can sleep tonight.

gently caress yeah, dude :unsmith: Stoked you could be there for this. I can't wait to visit Chicago again some day soon and check out that new flag of yours.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Senf posted:

gently caress yeah, dude :unsmith: Stoked you could be there for this. I can't wait to visit Chicago again some day soon and check out that new flag of yours.

Thanks! I'm really happy I made it up there. It was just unreal seeing World Series Champions on the Marquee sign right out front as thousands of people sang Go Cubs Go. I'm so excited to go to opening day next year and see that flag and just experience a relaxing game and really revel in the moment.

I want everyone to experience that moment of winning a World Series. Great series Indians! I sincerely hope you guys win it soon if the Cubs don't make it.

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

:siren:Caught Cubs Posting:siren:

Thant doesn't even have a MLB tag how the gently caress am I supposed to find it right now

Mister Perky
Aug 2, 2010

Yoshifan823 posted:

I think there's something wrong with me I just keep watching Sportscenter highlights of the game and smiling

even their bad jokes have no effect on me

Nah, that's totally normal. I'm pretty sure I did a similar thing in 2010.

It's wonderful, isn't it?

I am glad Cubs fans get to experience it. Slightly bummed it had to come at Indians fans', because now they're wandering in the desert by themselves. But yeah.

It's crazy how good it feels, huh? Probably even more intense because it's been longer for you guys, and its so ingrained in the identity of the team.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

eat poo poo buck

Only registered members can see post attachments!

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib
I've watched the final out like 10 times and it makes me misty

Cubs !!

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

MisterBibs posted:

Do newspapers hold off printing until games like this end, or do they print both when it's hard to predict? Or did stuff like Dewey Defeats Truman stop that?

I think it'd be cool to have a Cubs Lose paper, if only to freak people out.

I think it depends on when they go to press, which AFAIK is still early in the morning, but it probably depends on the paper. I get the Herald, and on one day during the NLDS or NLCS, they printed "...the Cubs are ahead by 4 in the 8th..." or whatever for a game that was late (and the Cubs won,) and it was clear that that's all they could get in before they had to print.

I would presume that for very special occasions they might wait later for the outcome of an event, like an election or sporting even, in order to get the story in.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
The major Chicago papers probably held the presses would be shocked if the Cleveland papers did either. Nationally they're probably just ran with whatever was at the time what is like on the west coast where they probably got it

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

I don't know what convinced me to watch the cubs playoff run, but I'm glad I did. This was my first time ever watching pro baseball. Seems kinda cool. I might watch the cubs next season or whatever. Welp, that's my story. Bye.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
I might stop at the store on my way home in the morning, grab a case of beer, a breakfast burrito from a Mexican joint, and rewatch the game after work.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
And now I have a new avatar.

I couldn't buy it during the playoffs because I'm superstitious and didn't want to possibly jinx anything.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Islam is the Lite Rock FM posted:

I might stop at the store on my way home in the morning, grab a case of beer, a breakfast burrito from a Mexican joint, and rewatch the game after work.

I really wanna watch it again tomorrow. I didn't get to Wrigley until the 5th and we had a 5-1 lead at that point. There are so many highlights I only caught from a TV inside a merch store setup out front of Wrigley so it wasn't the best view.

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Popete posted:

I really wanna watch it again tomorrow. I didn't get to Wrigley until the 5th and we had a 5-1 lead at that point. There are so many highlights I only caught from a TV inside a merch store setup out front of Wrigley so it wasn't the best view.

I listened to Pat Hughes. That last out....

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo
https://twitter.com/MikeColeNESN/status/794039565229105152

https://twitter.com/MLB/status/794041541148823553

A large farva
Sep 5, 2006

Ramrod XTreme

Islam is the Lite Rock FM posted:

I listened to Pat Hughes. That last out....

I have to listen to the whole radio broadcast again tomorrow. It's hard to listen to Pat Hughes these days because my heart inserts Ronnie comments when I know he isn't there :smith:

Arms_Akimbo
Sep 29, 2006

It's so damn...literal.
Watching sportscenter for the first time in like five years. I forgot how hard Neil Everett is into the Grateful Dead.

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

SharkTattoos posted:

I have to listen to the whole radio broadcast again tomorrow. It's hard to listen to Pat Hughes these days because my heart inserts Ronnie comments when I know he isn't there :smith:

Yeah, of all the people, I wish we could have heard Ronnie during this year. The pure excitement would have given us smiles for eternity.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

He is genuinely adorable. :allears:

That and the Rizzo-game-ball-in-his-back-pocket moment are my favorite memories (from the last play of one of the most agonizing baseball games of all time.)

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

SharkTattoos posted:

:smith: listening to their games got me through grad school. It's why I have a Ron Santo jersey.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Atomizer posted:

He is genuinely adorable. :allears:

That and the Rizzo-game-ball-in-his-back-pocket moment are my favorite memories (from the last play of one of the most agonizing baseball games of all time.)

He is and it is. It's like he knows his body is on autopilot and completing a rote action while realizing what it means, as it's happening.

I really hope the broadcast play gets gif'd. That was the best I could find.

(stuff the game winning ball in muh pocket hells yeah)

Schlub Husband
Jan 13, 2008

*hic*
Lipstick Apathy
hey guys, this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_qNFjJn3No
but real life
eh? :D

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

It's 4:30am and I'm back in Chicago. I'm going to sleep until at least noon and then watch highlights all day.

Parade is on Friday

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

gently caress I FELL ASLEEP DURING THE SMALL RAIN DELAY

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

ZenVulgarity posted:

You done hosed up.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

ZenVulgarity posted:

Actual, literal sliced bread wasn't even invented when the cubs last won the world series and you just slept through it.

Nice work. :v:

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Duke Chin posted:

Actual, literal sliced bread wasn't even invented when the cubs last won the world series

:thumbsup:

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Good thread title

Good morning, cubs still won!!!! Its like the end of Mr Smith Goes to Washington

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
My friend is a tattoo artist...

https://www.instagram.com/p/BMVSjSnBq1e/

Also losing that game in that way was only the stuff of nightmares until last night. The curse of chief wahoo lives on.

Bigass Moth fucked around with this message at 12:31 on Nov 3, 2016

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Bigass Moth posted:

Also losing that game in that way was only the stuff of nightmares until last night. The curse of chief wahoo lives on.

:allears:

this is the best kind of schadenfreude

also sorry guys but game 7 in 91 was still better :grin:

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Bigass Moth posted:

I can only hope that last night put the nail in the coffin for Wahoo. Just start fresh next year and see if getting rid of the racist mascot finally gives us enough good karma to actually win the loving World Series.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

It's 4:30am and I'm back in Chicago. I'm going to sleep until at least noon and then watch highlights all day.

Parade is on Friday

Actually apparently it's probably going to be Monday because the cops are all tired from working until 6 AM

Also holy poo poo I can't believe this really happened.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.

SharkTattoos posted:

This is a great idea, I need to do this as well. Where can I find it?

I'm still in shock, this poo poo isn't real...what a game, what a season, my eyes burn from the tears and seeing all the images, hearing all the stories...what a night.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

MisterOblivious posted:

He is and it is. It's like he knows his body is on autopilot and completing a rote action while realizing what it means, as it's happening.

I really hope the broadcast play gets gif'd. That was the best I could find.

(stuff the game winning ball in muh pocket hells yeah)

https://giant.gfycat.com/DistortedHospitableAmericanwirehair.webm

I wouldn't call myself a real baseball fan by any means, but this clip makes me smile knowing what he and his team/organization had accomplished.

teagone fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Nov 3, 2016

The_Hat
Sep 24, 2008

For anyone curious about the Chicago Tribune's front page:

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.

teagone posted:

https://giant.gfycat.com/DistortedHospitableAmericanwirehair.webm

I wouldn't call myself a real baseball fan by any means, but this clip makes me smile knowing what he and his team/organization had accomplished.

I could watch this all day and be completely content :allears:

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Glad the blood sacrifice worked out for Chicago. Maybe now the murder rate can start going down.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I could not sleep last night and somehow made it into work this morning. Gonna take a half day though and watch the game this afternoon on MLB.tv

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

Popete posted:

I could not sleep last night and somehow made it into work this morning. Gonna take a half day though and watch the game this afternoon on MLB.tv
I can't wait to rewatch the game when I'm not physically ill the entire time

I need a gif of the Ross/Fowler crotchbump

• Locked thread