Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

If you need a good chip right now just buy an intel product and get it over with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!
Just limp for a few months with some cheapo CPU, evaluate after CES which is supposedly the launch date with mass availability by February.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Was WCCFtech the site that gets everything right because they publish literally every rumor, and thus have at least one correct?

http://wccftech.com/new-amd-zen-blender-benchmarks/

Lord Windy
Mar 26, 2010
That would be lovely if it is true. AMD getting good again would be awesome, my Phenom 840 was amazing and I miss it.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
I saw that article, but dismissed it as not-news because the Xeon E5 2680 v2 they're comparing it to is 22nm Ivy Bridge EP.

If that's the best they can do on 14nm, then things are dire indeed.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

SwissArmyDruid posted:

I saw that article, but dismissed it as not-news because the Xeon E5 2680 v2 they're comparing it to is 22nm Ivy Bridge EP.

As in the test between an Ivy Bridge Xeon and a Zen processor came out equal? If so then I guess goodbye amd CPU division.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
No, as in the unnamed chip and the Intel chip that wccft found to have an identical score.

A lot of the sheen is going to come off the Jim Keller name, that's for sure, though.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 11:23 on Nov 3, 2016

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!
Well, according to that benchmark it beats out some of the low clocked 12 core Haswell Xeons, so it might not be completely useless i guess :confuoot:

eames
May 9, 2009

blowfish posted:

Well, according to that benchmark it beats out some of the low clocked 12 core Haswell Xeons, so it might not be completely useless i guess :confuoot:

Really depends on the amount of cores I guess. :shrug:

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Probably not really. Even if they only get Ivybridge levels of performance (a bit lower than what other leaked benches have suggested, performance seemed closer to Haswell on those) they'll still do fine. The difference in per clock performance between Ivy Bridge and Broadwell/Skylake isn't all that huge. Something like 10-15% on average. And Kabylake appears to have no per clock performance improvements at all vs Skylake.

Intel's focus on performance per watt for the last few generations is why many are still running Sandybridge after all. There just hasn't been any reason to pay Intel prices for the level of performance improvement they've been offering for a long time with their newer chips. So if AMD prices their stuff right then they're fine. If they try to get top dollar then yeah they're screwed.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

Isn't Samsung 14nmFF fairly similar to Intels 22nmFF? If so then Ivy-Haswell single core performance make sense I suppose, and apparently Broadwell level multithreaded.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Given that we're basically going to see Intel stuck on the same architecture for two years, too...

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

PerrineClostermann posted:

Given that we're basically going to see Intel stuck on the same architecture for two years, too...

Not in server-land, the Purley platform with Skylake-EP and EX should be a big loving deal. AMD could be arriving with a good Sandy / Ivy / Haswell / Broadwell server competitor finally when Intel changes platforms for the first time since 2012.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Twerk from Home posted:

Not in server-land, the Purley platform with Skylake-EP and EX should be a big loving deal. AMD could be arriving with a good Sandy / Ivy / Haswell / Broadwell server competitor finally when Intel changes platforms for the first time since 2012.

And that's the crucial bit, because if server farms are going to have to move to a new platform anyways, why *not* see what the competition can bring, instead of "Oh man, we'd totally have gone with you guys... except that we JUST bought the new Intel poo poo."

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!
We appear to have some new leaks, saw these linked on Dresdenboy's twitter so not just random crap here.

quote:

Apologies if there's another thread about AMD's upcoming CPU architecture and of course desktop CPUs, if there is, delete or perhaps merge this info.
This is the current state of the retail CPUs, which have been improving by the month.

- There are some errata issues present in the current testing samples, similar in a way to the TLB bug of the Phenom. The workaround right now is done via the BIOS. The workaround however, strips around 30 ~ 40% of the CPU performance.

- The CPUs are well behind schedule and every day there's real progress and bug fixing being done. Unlike with INTEL's E0 CPUs which make it to the wild that are almost completely final silicon. AMD's samples will continue to get bug fixes right up until retail spec sampling to partners.

- In August Clock speeds were 3.8GHz, right now 4.2GHz overclocking is possible, with LN2 5GHz is doable. Again this will change of course, but it is just the current silicon that is behaving like this.

- AM4/ZEN uses an SOC design, that means even CMOS/BIOS configuration is on package (not necessarily on silicon, I can't confirm this) so it is possible to clear the "BIOS" and still have old value applied 30 minutes later. How this will be addressed remains to be seen. Perhaps it won't be the same scenario for final silicon

- Operating voltages (nominal) are 1.3v and all the way up to 1.5v should be fine it seems for AIO cooling. Frequency scaling isn't a strong point but again that may have everything to do with the process at this point rather than an inherent design limitation.

- Performance is particularly strong at this point vs. INTEL's latest offerings. Single thread performance is matching Haswell-E and of course multi-threading performance as well. Tests that are memory bandwidth dependent may go to the INTEL platform simply as a result of having more memory channels, but I can't confirm that right now and have no info on that. The important thing here is that the 16Thread/8-Core CPU is minimum 5960X performance if not better actually. (Based on Cinebench R15) with the error fix disabled.

- Can't speak to how well the IMC is working as current samples are locked to low DRAM frequencies (2133MHz and lower) and of course this has an impact on performance.

- As stated in the beginning, every week is progress and AMD is working at an unprecedented rate to get these ready by March.

- You're unlikely to see any high end boards for the CPUs prior to launch or at launch, simply because no vendors can commit to too much right now as plenty is changing at a rapid rate.

No idea on any pricing yet, but from board vendor side, Highest SKU is Less than $700USD.
March is the target time for the CPUs. I don't suspect 1st generation boards will be all that great though.

We finally have native/chipset NVme, PCI-E 3.0 + USB 3.1 with a number of lanes for each.
This one is shaping up well, and a definite contender for INTEL and AMD users alike.

That Cinebench R15 MT score
6900K @ 5.1GHz 2,100~
8C/16T ZEN @ 5.1GHz 2,000 (workaround disabled)

8core Zen runs on a 90w TPD while the 5960X and 6900s run off 130w TPD.

* All overclocking is done via Overdrive, you can't change any performance features at all in the BIOS (on to that next) at all.

* BIOS or UEFI is actually built into the CPU, so only AMD can update the "BIOS" or microcode. All overclocking must take place within the Operating system

* Right now it takes up to 30 minutes to clear the BIOS. If you remove the CPU and place it on another motherboard, it'll have the same settings applied as on the previous board. So debugging is a nightmare

* 6850K SKU (May not be final designation) is wait for it.... $300 roughly. That's 8 Cores and 16 Threads

* AMD's Hyper Threading is called SMU and it is drat good. The same efficiency as Intel's HT.

* Performance is really good, be it SuperPi, Cinebench, 3DMark etc, it's FPU performance is incredibly good and easily matching that of what Intel offers.

* Current performance is staggering even though it is limited to 2133MHz (as mentioned before) and NorthBridge Frequency is limited to 2400MHz

* There will be a nigher SKU than the 6850K, but it is a higher bin so it will certainly overclock better than 6850K and that may carry a premium price, but unlikely to be double.

* There's plenty of excitement from all board vendors about the platform, so we will see how it all pans out. (Especially with the hot mess that INTEL has in store for us H2 2017, that we can leave to another thread)

* For Gaming, the CPU is neck and neck with INTEL, even at low res where CPU bound.

AMD essentially has no Chipset for the CPUs. It's an SOC of sorts so everything is just about contained within the CPU or at least the CPU package. That does simplify the board in some ways, but the worst part is that it takes away the small differences boards had between them. Right now there's literally no difference at all between any board (all of which are far too early to be relevant). Essentially all control is in AMD's hands and in the user hands for overdrive.

You can still access traditional BIOS for SATA config, Audio, boot sequence etc but that's it really. Even DRAM frequency you'll have to set inside the OS and reboot as I don't think you can change multi once the mem training is done. We will have to see.

Again there are still way too many bugs to iron out, but the performance is there so they must work to iron out the rest of it. There's too much of a spread right now between CPUs as I said
4.1GHz vs 5.2GHz on some. But progress is being made rapidly so we will see. Overclocking is only on the OC SKUs, but as we have seen from AMD, that's almost all of them.

Its a 4 page thread so I just c/p'd the most relevant or interesting parts here. The BIOS being on package/die and requiring 30 min. to clear is one of the oddest tidbits to come out so far about Zen. Maybe just a thing for their engineering samples? I dunno.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

Apparently this leaker has some credibility which is interesting. Sounds like AMD is still struggling with GloFo (rebrand to "Albatross Industries") if they're getting 4.1Ghz stable and 5.2Ghz stable chips (likely lots of massive binning for 2017 up until close to 2018 or into 2018). How much of a performer would a Haswell-E chip be with a loss of 30% of it's performance?

Also 299$ for the "6850K" 3.0Ghz 8C/16T chip running around apparently, that seems...lol, to get what he's claiming is essentially the 5960X. Like, that's Zen 4C/8T competing versus i3s, holy poo poo, I just can't see that happening, not with Haswell-E single threaded performance. That'd mean 6C/12T versus i5s (if those exist and I'm not sure why they wouldn't), and he says prices will go up to 699$ for likely the top tier handpicked Black Editions (Likely your 5Ghz on air ones). If 4C/8T are hanging around ~150$, I guess this forces Bristol Ridge to be all under 100$ to be competitive. He also makes it sound like board partners are excited because they can put in minimum effort for maximum return, like they can easily be made as cheaply as AM1 boards (I'm sure OEMs are wetting themselves over this) and the biggest difference will be VRM count and cooling.

I'm already half way to ODing on this years election, I'm not buying it because it'd be too good of a reason to replace my current rig will a full AMD one and good things don't happen in the mirror universe. gently caress that performance and price expect 3000$ 24C/48T and 4000$ 32C/64T server CPUs to undercut Intel heavily and still make profit. Bogus, unreal, not a chance. Not one bit of salt from me.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

I don't believe hexacores are a thing, IIRC the Zen blocking comes in 4C/8T blocks, no duals or half steps.

Haswell-E performance has my eyebrow raised as well. Cubs won the World Series, Trump is president, weird poo poo is happening. Maybe AMD really have it.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

NewFatMike posted:

I don't believe hexacores are a thing, IIRC the Zen blocking comes in 4C/8T blocks, no duals or half steps.

Haswell-E performance has my eyebrow raised as well. Cubs won the World Series, Trump is president, weird poo poo is happening. Maybe AMD really have it.

That seems odd to me because while CCXs would be 4C/8T each, it's still made of 4 individual cores and 2 being faulty but 6 not across the chip would seem to indicate making a 6 core chip rather than further disabling cores to a 4 core chip, sell for more and get more out of it. I dunno, maybe there is something to Zens design that would prevent this but that seems to be unusual and bad planning considering that's a whole lot of chips to start tossing. I mean I get with why bothering with a 2 core 4 thread chip because you've disabled so much already but a 6C/12T chip makes sense financially at least.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
It's me, I'm the one that buys BE chips even though I have zero desire to overclock. (at the outset at least)

I'm with Fat Mike on this, though. With Zen's design coming with core complexes in multiples of four, the only way I expect to see hexacore parts is if they have too many failed parts, and they want to make some money off otherwise defective silicon like the Phenom II X2 and X3s, (GloFo gonna GloFo) as opposed to designing a proper price point for them. Realistically? Assuming they designed the chip with this in mind, I expect AMD to saw it in half and sell a 4c/8t + a 2c/4t part, instead of having to build fallback cases for their ring interconnect to shuffle between four good cores and two bad ones way over there.

(And that's assuming that the defective cores are the two that are farthest away from the known good core complex on an 8-core part. If the two defective cores were diagonally opposed to eachother? Whoo doggy, that's not a latency problem I want to be responsible for. No, better to saw the bad core complex off and sell it as a lower-spec dual-core.)

(I don't even want to consider the case of two core complexes with three good cores each.)

And I absolutely do NOT see them doing things like locking off cores on perfectly good chips to hit a lower-tier segment either, a la... gently caress, what was it. The 960T?

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 11:26 on Nov 10, 2016

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

quote:

- AM4/ZEN uses an SOC design, that means even CMOS/BIOS configuration is on package (not necessarily on silicon, I can't confirm this) so it is possible to clear the "BIOS" and still have old value applied 30 minutes later. How this will be addressed remains to be seen. Perhaps it won't be the same scenario for final silicon

I for one look forward to botching my BIOS update and bricking my CPU.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Boiled Water posted:

I for one look forward to botching my BIOS update and bricking my CPU.
JIM! :argh: Just because it's on phones...

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

NewFatMike posted:

given glofo, they might be core harvesting

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

JIM! :argh: Just because it's on phones...

At least the chipset is also on the chip, purpose of this being ... I don't know. I recall Intel trying this strategy (and/or VRMs on the cpu?) but never really settling on anything.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Having the chipset, especially when combined with the gpu, all on the cpu, is a huge huge thing for HPC. I know some HPC people, and they've been waiting for this for over a year, even to the point of delaying some upgrades, because they got to play with some samples. One guy works with CERN on a regular basis and he's saying it's the most requested thing out of there right now.

Even if zen somehow craters on consumer market as bad as bulldozer (though I presume microsoft/sony are all over this poo poo for the next console ~pro~), it doesn't look like it'll matter that much in the long run for AMD. Their consumer share is already poo poo.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

It may be just me but here is hoping that it's not directly on chip and there is at least a dual bios (one you can gently caress with and one locked out from all but the savvy).

SwissArmyDruid posted:

It's me, I'm the one that buys BE chips even though I have zero desire to overclock. (at the outset at least)

I'm with Fat Mike on this, though. With Zen's design coming with core complexes in multiples of four, the only way I expect to see hexacore parts is if they have too many failed parts, and they want to make some money off otherwise defective silicon like the Phenom II X2 and X3s, (GloFo gonna GloFo) as opposed to designing a proper price point for them. Realistically? Assuming they designed the chip with this in mind, I expect AMD to saw it in half and sell a 4c/8t + a 2c/4t part, instead of having to build fallback cases for their ring interconnect to shuffle between four good cores and two bad ones way over there.

(And that's assuming that the defective cores are the two that are farthest away from the known good core complex on an 8-core part. If the two defective cores were diagonally opposed to eachother? Whoo doggy, that's not a latency problem I want to be responsible for. No, better to saw the bad core complex off and sell it as a lower-spec dual-core.)

(I don't even want to consider the case of two core complexes with three good cores each.)

And I absolutely do NOT see them doing things like locking off cores on perfectly good chips to hit a lower-tier segment either, a la... gently caress, what was it. The 960T?

Then theoretically another way to differentiate boards is core unlocking. Get that sweet 5th core and massively gently caress your latency, hell yea.

EmpyreanFlux fucked around with this message at 12:23 on Nov 10, 2016

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Truga posted:

Having the chipset, especially when combined with the gpu, all on the cpu, is a huge huge thing for HPC. I know some HPC people, and they've been waiting for this for over a year, even to the point of delaying some upgrades, because they got to play with some samples. One guy works with CERN on a regular basis and he's saying it's the most requested thing out of there right now.

Even if zen somehow craters on consumer market as bad as bulldozer (though I presume microsoft/sony are all over this poo poo for the next console ~pro~), it doesn't look like it'll matter that much in the long run for AMD. Their consumer share is already poo poo.

How does chipset on CPU help in an HPC system?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Latencies, I'd imagine? Also definitely power efficiency.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
AMD is re-using the SeaMicro interconnect fabric, right? If everything is entirely self-contained inside each package, that speaks to ease of scalability in HPC, doesn't it?

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

If the evolution of SeaMicro's interconnect is GMI, yes Zen uses that.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Undercutting Haswell-5960X by 3% (undercutting the 6900k by 10%) for the 8core would be a pretty good intro price for the premier 8 core SKU, and the board is likely a lot cheaper though you will only have double channel memory.

I'm more interested in how the "runt" bins are going to work though. Zen is 4 core blocks, and I presume it needs all of them to actually function in some cases like AVX.

Probably going to see Athlon/Sempron dual cores with the bells and whistles disabled like the Pentium/Celeron chips.

Anime Schoolgirl fucked around with this message at 13:07 on Nov 10, 2016

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

FaustianQ posted:

That'd mean 6C/12T versus i5s (if those exist and I'm not sure why they wouldn't)

It's quite possible Intel has been holding back due to lack of competition and would also be able to release a consumer-socket 6C/12T in pretty short order.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Exciting for sure if true. Will be interesting seeing how this Bios on a CPU goes, will it also in a way remove the need for a CMOS battery or something?

If they can bring the 5960X performance for 1/2 the price, that is going to do really well to bring that virtual kick to the nuts of Intel. The lack of Quad Channel memory will be a downer, but if the Gaming, Encoding and VM performance is still within throwing distance for 1/2 the price, that would still be pretty good IMO.

The overclocking inside Windows though I find is going to be a iffy thing. I guess you get to see results instantly, but when you throw it out of range, I hope it has a good failsafe so you can boot back to stock and try again instead of having a sort of bootloop of death if you screw something up. Hmm

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

EdEddnEddy posted:

Exciting for sure if true. Will be interesting seeing how this Bios on a CPU goes, will it also in a way remove the need for a CMOS battery or something?

If they can bring the 5960X performance for 1/2 the price, that is going to do really well to bring that virtual kick to the nuts of Intel. The lack of Quad Channel memory will be a downer, but if the Gaming, Encoding and VM performance is still within throwing distance for 1/2 the price, that would still be pretty good IMO.

The overclocking inside Windows though I find is going to be a iffy thing. I guess you get to see results instantly, but when you throw it out of range, I hope it has a good failsafe so you can boot back to stock and try again instead of having a sort of bootloop of death if you screw something up. Hmm

This is the assumption apparently, that and it should have a dual BIOS to alleviate all problems. A little concerned though that they'd have potentially low security compared to Intel chips.

FuturePastNow posted:

It's quite possible Intel has been holding back due to lack of competition and would also be able to release a consumer-socket 6C/12T in pretty short order.

I doubt it, Skylake-X has a planned 6C/6T chip and I don't think Intel is as price flexible as people assume.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

FaustianQ posted:

I doubt it, Skylake-X has a planned 6C/6T chip and I don't think Intel is as price flexible as people assume.

Skylake-X isn't even on the mainstream cheap socket.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

EdEddnEddy posted:

My hope is that this would be done through an application which can be set to start on bootup but by default would need to be started manually. Once you've stress tested and are feeling good about your OC you could set it to auto, and if anything goes wrong you could use safe mode to recover.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

FaustianQ posted:

A little concerned though that they'd have potentially low security compared to Intel chips.
How so? Isn't there plenty of stuff you can do to Intel chips through Windows software to screw things up if you want to be malicious too?

Putting the BIOS on CPU/package for a consumer x86 chip is weird but I don't see a inherent security disadvantage from doing things that way at all.

Of course I don't see much in the way of advantage for AMD there either. Maybe it makes it easier for them to do support/updates in the future through the OS?? I dunno, just guessing there. If they're going to have a secondary BIOS to control other stuff I anyways I don't see any cost savings for the mobo guys. The strangeness of it is what made me wonder if its just for the ES chips originally.

edit: the software could probably detect if windows wasn't properly shut down and on reboot it'd just go to default clocks as a recovery mode and ask if you want to reapply custom settings.

PC LOAD LETTER fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Nov 11, 2016

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The perfect day needs the perfect set of wheels.
Watch as it applies the overclock when the service starts up in Windows and makes it impossible to overclock an AMD processor and then use Linux on it.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

PC LOAD LETTER posted:

How so? Isn't there plenty of stuff you can do to Intel chips through Windows software to screw things up if you want to be malicious too?

Putting the BIOS on CPU/package for a consumer x86 chip is weird but I don't see a inherent security disadvantage from doing things that way at all.

Of course I don't see much in the way of advantage for AMD there either. Maybe it makes it easier for them to do support/updates in the future through the OS?? I dunno, just guessing there. If they're going to have a secondary BIOS to control other stuff I anyways I don't see any cost savings for the mobo guys. The strangeness of it is what made me wonder if its just for the ES chips originally.

I'm thinking that it just enables people to permanently brick the processor which is vastly more costly compared to boards. I should rephrase and say I think they'd be more vulnerable to attack, both from permanently shutting them down to and costing way more per attack compared to Intel; but I don't run a datacenter and can't evaluate whether this is a serious potential con.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

FaustianQ posted:

I'm thinking that it just enables people to permanently brick the processor
I'm not seeing anything in the leak that says you'll brick the chip. It does mention BIOS resets can take up to half a hour, which is fairly irritating and would be expensive to do in a datacenter/server environment, but not permanent.

OC software lets you change all kinds of things with Intel chips too in Windows if you're talking about stuff like hackers changing the volts to kill the CPU. Of course Overdrive/OC software would have to be installed for that to work. I don't think that will happen in a server environment. There may be some sort of vulnerability vs Intel chips but its just not apparent to me from the leak details. For all we know its only consumer chips that allow overclocking that may have any vulnerabilities here. Their sever chips could very well be locked up to prevent OC'ing. Though if they allow undervolting/clocking on the server chips, which I think they normally do, I guess a hacker could make everything run reeaaaalll slooooowww. But then that would apply to Intel chips too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
HALF A GODDAMN HOUR TO RESET YOUR BIOS?!

gently caress, I thought you guys were kidding!

The gently caress are they doing, are they including a UV flashlight with your processor so you can shine it on there like an FPGA?!

• Locked thread