Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

achillesforever6 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U5pBZKj1VnA
I'm glad I'm not that much of a History Buff so I can enjoy movies like Apcalypto and Braveheart.

The first time I saw Apocalypto, I honestly thought that the bad guys were supposed to be Aztecs and the Mayans in the film were the remnants of the old civilization that had somehow survived their decline. Granted, I was a first year student and completely ignorant, so I'm happy Hodges covered the film and set the record straight.

He really needs to do a review of the Sharpe series soon, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

"To be quite frank, Platinum sucks at making games. Vanquish was terrible and Metal Gear Rising: Revengance was so boring it put me to sleep."

I've been tough on Spoony in the past but to be honest, I think people know he has retired and the Patreon is just goodwill payments for his past work and the livestreams.

Him getting off Twitter is good for him. Everyone except news organisations should get off Twitter.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Spoony gave me that bees video so I can't hate him at the end of the day.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Tired Moritz posted:

Spoony gave me that bees video so I can't hate him at the end of the day.

In a similar vein, his review of Dragonstrike and its VHS into cinematic thing was (I'm rather sure) my first Internet Critic Video experience, so I don't think I can hate him either.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Spoony's FF8 review hasn't aged well at all, but I loved it when it first came out. I haven't followed him in years, though; did he ever give FF9 a chance, or is he still stuck on the fact that Zidane has a tail?

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Josef K. Sourdust posted:

I've been tough on Spoony in the past but to be honest, I think people know he has retired and the Patreon is just goodwill payments for his past work and the livestreams.

Him getting off Twitter is good for him. Everyone except news organisations should get off Twitter.

And while there's certainly better ways of handling such a situation, I do find it kind of weird to keep harping on about him pulling in some Patreon money despite not putting anything out in a while. It's kind of a two way road there. Though I guess that has a lot to do with how one views the patron-creator relationship.

An underrated Spoony fav of mine: The Terror Trax stuff. The dorky, lo-fi style of him just goofing around and listening to the CDs on camera worked surprisingly well.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.
I'm pretty sure this issue largely stemmed from Spoony promising things to his patrons and not delivering.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

TheMaestroso posted:

I'm pretty sure this issue largely stemmed from Spoony promising things to his patrons and not delivering.

At this point, I feel like unless you're a patron, it's not really worth caring about. Let the poor dude suffer in obscurity; he's not even doing anything to be public anymore, and there's nothing really funny or interesting about his continued flakiness. It's just the dull, sad tale of a boring mental illness.

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

achillesforever6 posted:

His brother hasn't said anything on Facebook so that's a good sign (friended him years ago when he was more active on the TSE forums and he's a good dude)

I don't have his Facebook or anything, but I remember him on the forums and I remember the written movie reviews of box office bombs he was doing for a while. I enjoyed those and he seemed cool. Is his website still around?

Bakeneko
Jan 9, 2007

Spoony was my gateway internet critic back in the day, and for a long time he was one of the funniest ones around. I hope getting off of twitter and out of the spotlight allows him to sort his life out.

It’s a shame that we’ll never get to see his reviews of the FFXiii sequels, though. I loved them but drat, those games were the sort of glorious trainwrecks that make excellent riffing material.

Bakeneko fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Nov 3, 2016

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Actually news organizations should get off twitter, they're the least funny posters around.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

The world would be a lot better off if everyone just got off Twitter.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

MiddleOne posted:

The world would be a lot better off if everyone just got off Twitter.

give it time, people won't have a choice

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!
Remember how a while back we were joking about how the Nostalgia Critic mugs at the camera in all his video thumbnails? Well click on this link to Channel Awesome's uploaded videos and check out the mug on the new "Can an ending ruin a movie?" video. I feel like we've hit the peak of the artform. https://www.youtube.com/user/achannelthatsawesome/videos

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Lindsay was recently talking about that on... tumblr, I think. Apparently, making stupid faces on the thumbnail gets a lot more clicks.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
Check the recently trending on YouTube under gaming especially. I guarantee 9 out of 10 of them have some stupid face in the thumbnail. There's a formula people have down pat for getting clicks.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

DeusExMachinima posted:

Remember how a while back we were joking about how the Nostalgia Critic mugs at the camera in all his video thumbnails? Well click on this link to Channel Awesome's uploaded videos and check out the mug on the new "Can an ending ruin a movie?" video. I feel like we've hit the peak of the artform. https://www.youtube.com/user/achannelthatsawesome/videos

There's a video titled "Does the 60s Batman Show Suck" there and that's what you're concerned about.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Nov 3, 2016

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

There's a video titled "Does the 60s Batman Show Suck" there and that's what you're concerned about.

The answer is no, just saved you x amount of minutes

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.
Channel Awesome started its life ripping off James Rolfe, now it is ripping off Buzzfeed. yay clickbait

PassTheRemote fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Nov 4, 2016

Ema Nymton
Apr 26, 2008

the place where I come from
is a small town
Buglord

:aaa: Well I didn't know. He really has retired?

DeusExMachinima posted:

Tracula posted:

Check the recently trending on YouTube under gaming especially. I guarantee 9 out of 10 of them have some stupid face in the thumbnail. There's a formula people have down pat for getting clicks.

The face mugging thing doesn't bother me. If you're not going to draw an original title card, you need to add something of your own to indicate that it's a review in a quick shorthand way. Phelous mugs on his thumbnails quite a lot, though he's particularly gifted in that regard.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Ema Nymton posted:

:aaa: Well I didn't know. He really has retired?

Not officially but you might as well call it at this point.

Mischalaniouse
Nov 7, 2009

*ribbit*
I forget which video producer talked about this (maybe Dan Olsen?) but apparently its been researched and people are just more likely to click on a video with a face in the thumbnail. I'm sure Phelous is aware of this and I feel his extreme over-mugging on his thumbnails is his way of both indulging in this trend and mocking it. I don't have anything to back this up with, but it just feels like that would be something he'd do.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Mischalaniouse posted:

I forget which video producer talked about this (maybe Dan Olsen?) but apparently its been researched and people are just more likely to click on a video with a face in the thumbnail. I'm sure Phelous is aware of this and I feel his extreme over-mugging on his thumbnails is his way of both indulging in this trend and mocking it. I don't have anything to back this up with, but it just feels like that would be something he'd do.

I know there's a similar reason a lot of streamers use face cams too since, based on some psychology or whatever, it helps you connect more with the person playing if you see them as well.

Infamous Sphere
Nov 8, 2010
Blargh oh my god yes, I have read fanfiction, in a way it's a guilty pleasure/so bad it's good thing. I can't read trashy romance though. Fanfiction..oh god..some of the anatomical limitations are..well..let's just say these women don't very much und

Mischalaniouse posted:

I can definitely say that people are more likely to click on a video with tits/a racy title/if you tag it with a popular thing/if you appeal to a really specific and very thirsty demographic. I'm studying Hungarian and watched a video of a Romanian woman and a Hungarian woman trying to speak each others' languages, to find that most of the top comments were people saying they'd watched it because the Romanian woman had a set of breasts. Yeah I dunno either.
"Specific niche" - my most popular video of all time is one on a Dirk Bogarde movie. I thought nobody would care when I did my Dirk Bogarde series, but I didn't realise that Dirk Bogarde fans are very loyal, and always looking for more Dirk Bogarde things. So I got quite a few new viewers from that.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.

Infamous Sphere posted:

I can definitely say that people are more likely to click on a video with tits/a racy title/if you tag it with a popular thing/if you appeal to a really specific and very thirsty demographic. I'm studying Hungarian and watched a video of a Romanian woman and a Hungarian woman trying to speak each others' languages, to find that most of the top comments were people saying they'd watched it because the Romanian woman had a set of breasts.

Nah that can't be true, if that were true...
*look at subscription list*

...well I'll be damned.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

MiddleOne posted:

The world would be a lot better off if everyone just got off

I'm sure this is especially true for people on the internet.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I hope one day Phelous does the Godzilla Creepypasta. :allears:

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
They'rrre the best. 1973

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

May your eyes avoid his dread visage

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.

Ema Nymton posted:

The face mugging thing doesn't bother me. If you're not going to draw an original title card, you need to add something of your own to indicate that it's a review in a quick shorthand way. Phelous mugs on his thumbnails quite a lot, though he's particularly gifted in that regard.

I get that feeling from him too. When it comes to thumbnails I like Jas Townsend and Son. Instead of mugging he just smiles for the camera. It's usually contextual, it could be a picture of the old timey food he's making or the person he's interviewing or what they're doing. This video on old timey nutrition doesn't feature the vegetable he's holding, but he took the time to make it look like it could be a screencap.

Look at him here peeking out from behind that lettuce being cheeky

Tune in next time to Rule of Thumbnails where I'll be discussing Guru Larry: Cluttered Thumbs and Anti-Negative Space? (Positive Space???) Be sure to like, comment, and subscribe, follow us on Twitter and

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Infamous Sphere
Nov 8, 2010
Blargh oh my god yes, I have read fanfiction, in a way it's a guilty pleasure/so bad it's good thing. I can't read trashy romance though. Fanfiction..oh god..some of the anatomical limitations are..well..let's just say these women don't very much und

MrSlam posted:

I get that feeling from him too. When it comes to thumbnails I like Jas Townsend and Son. Instead of mugging he just smiles for the camera. It's usually contextual, it could be a picture of the old timey food he's making or the person he's interviewing or what they're doing. This video on old timey nutrition doesn't feature the vegetable he's holding, but he took the time to make it look like it could be a screencap.

Look at him here peeking out from behind that lettuce being cheeky

Tune in next time to Rule of Thumbnails where I'll be discussing Guru Larry: Cluttered Thumbs and Anti-Negative Space? (Positive Space???) Be sure to like, comment, and subscribe, follow us on Twitter and

Not really "reviews" per se but Jas Townsend and Son's videos are really good and if you're interested in history and/or cooking you should definitely watch them.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Phelous gets away with the mugging because his whole gimmick is over the top sarcasm and he's clearly exaggerating.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Infamous Sphere posted:

Not really "reviews" per se but Jas Townsend and Son's videos are really good and if you're interested in history and/or cooking you should definitely watch them.

He is also super,super earnest about it to the point of being endearing.

Infamous Sphere
Nov 8, 2010

Kunster posted:

He is also super,super earnest about it to the point of being endearing.

oh yeah I love him, I love that wonderful earnestness as well. Similarly earnest - the MRE reviewer Gschultz9. And if you haven't seen Great Depression Cooking that one's also pretty cool.

CaptainQuirk
May 9, 2009
Brad Tries The One Chip Challenge
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_QV54Pbpbwg
Oh god, why would you do that?

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Allison and Phelan try gross jelly beans. Good thing skunk spray wasn't part of their package.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
New Night Mind about... a guy confessing to a murder and going on the run. Simple concept, very whatever, but it's so well done that it made people think it was actually real? And there are at least some news articles on it being a real thing...? :what:

Like, okay, this has nothing to do with Nick's stuff but... wow. Paying half-attention to the source material at all makes it obvious that it's fiction. How could anyone think that "ah yes, this random kid killed someone and is on the run and uploading many youtube videos while doing so" is even remotely real for even a moment?

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Dragonatrix posted:

New Night Mind about... a guy confessing to a murder and going on the run. Simple concept, very whatever, but it's so well done that it made people think it was actually real? And there are at least some news articles on it being a real thing...? :what:

Like, okay, this has nothing to do with Nick's stuff but... wow. Paying half-attention to the source material at all makes it obvious that it's fiction. How could anyone think that "ah yes, this random kid killed someone and is on the run and uploading many youtube videos while doing so" is even remotely real for even a moment?

Remember that Jeff The Killer is a well-loved piece of fiction on the internet, never underestimate how absolutely bottom of the barrel some people can go with spooky story stuff.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
WEre those semi credible news sources carrying the story anyway? Random clickbait sites don't count

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

Dragonatrix posted:

I pretty much figure that it is either an act, or NM is the most easily amused guy around, or horror stuff on the Internet is just that dire, because there was one series where he was like "this isn't like the other bad black-and-white and grainy series out there" *chanel is exactly that*

As for the rest of youtube thinking it's real, uh, no clue. It feels like spooky stuff has a really low bar on the net, hence every story being hyper-realistic blood and skeletons

• Locked thread