Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

Kharnifex posted:

they were made using crushed seashell, seaweed extract and a rubber bouncy ball.

see, it just amazes me that doing that works out cheaper than real eggs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

As far as I know I haven't encountered fake food. My friend who runs a wine business told me most of the fake wine is actually wine, it's just cheap garbage that's poured into bottles taken from good wine and then sold as such.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
to fair most wine drinkers wouldnt know the difference. The ones that come to terms with their poo poo taste are much happier since they get to enjoy boxed wine with no shame

poly and open-minded
Nov 22, 2006

In BOD we trust

ladron posted:

If I never have to hear another Korean do that "OooohhAAAHHH" stupid fake amazed poo poo they do at my using chopsticks or speaking korean it'll be too soon....

The scene - a restaurant that has a sign on the door that says "no foreigners". Being an rear end in a top hat, I went in. The adjumma comes running over and says (in English) "No foreigners!!"

Me (in korean) - why not?
her (in korean) - it's too much trouble, they don't speak korean and it's too difficult
me - ...we are speaking korean right now...

a blank glassy look comes across her face and she switches back to 'No foreigners! No foreigners!" and retreats to the kitchen

ive worked at my school in korea for 3 years. a student i have had in class for about 6 months, twice weekly, realized i spoke korean. this is a first grade class so i often code-switch. she spoke in wonder to her friend "teacher can speak korean!"

her friend was the youngest person ive ever seen do an eyeroll

Drunk & Ugly
Feb 10, 2003

GIMME GIMME GIMME, DON'T ASK WHAT FOR

gently caress off. i want to know about chinese in the uk and how they immigrate and where from mostly. i assume hong kong because of the past ties makes it easier for them to do so, but im not going to start questioning them while they run a busy shop

also the "china town" in london was just like a row restaurants, i was disappointed

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
:madmax:
Some of Canadian photographer Greg Girard's photos of Kowloon Walled City. The rest of the gallery is behind the link: http://www.businessinsider.com/inside-kowloon-walled-city-2016-10//??r=AU&IR=T

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Fauxtool posted:

to fair most wine drinkers wouldnt know the difference. The ones that come to terms with their poo poo taste are much happier since they get to enjoy boxed wine with no shame

If you've ever had domestic Chinese wine, you'd know the difference. :v:

My students in Korea never figured out I could speak any Korean. I'd get them in trouble nearly every day for cussing me or each other out in Korean, or when I could I'd put up their vocab words with Korean translations, but none of them ever seemed to connect the dots to me having any knowledge of the language and were always shocked when I understood them.

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

The Banter is better in AusGBS
My new neighbour has a 24 hour wine delivery racket, illegal where I live but they are making some made cash

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010

Drunk & Ugly posted:

gently caress off. i want to know about chinese in the uk and how they immigrate and where from mostly. i assume hong kong because of the past ties makes it easier for them to do so, but im not going to start questioning them while they run a busy shop

also the "china town" in london was just like a row restaurants, i was disappointed

Mostly from HK and Guangdong, but also ethnic Chinese from Malaysia.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Old Chinese communities come largely from Guangdong and some from Fujian. In the 70s there started to be a lot more migration from all over China, that's why you started getting real Sichuan restaurants and stuff around then.

If you're talking like Chinatowns that trace back to the 1800s or early 1900s that's going to be almost entirely Cantonese, with some Fujianese and Hakka mixed in (there are always Hakka somewhere).

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax

ladron posted:

the food and poon are not bad
From this thread and the Female Rasputin thread, all I can summarize from previous Korea-havers is that the only thing to talk about is alcohol. Does the country suck that much, or are the foreigners there that bored/boring?

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
im visiting relatives in korea sometime early 2017.

Im looking forward to being told I should get surgery to do better in work, getting blackout drunk. Not sleeping with a fan on.
Getting offered a greencard marriage from their friends and a chance to smuggle/launder money back to the US.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Drunk & Ugly posted:

I was in London last Christmas. China town used to be immigrants from Hong Kong / Guang Dong Province / Fujian Province.

But nowadays the new immigrants are from North Eastern China and Interior China like Sichuan. So the Chinese restaurants are shifting flavours and catering the food to new immigrants and students from the rest of the Mainland. You get a lot more spicy hotpot and dumplings.

The food is also unforgettably bad because the chefs are now students making some extra cash and winging it. loving blows.

If you want to try Chinese food in London, try A Wong.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Haier posted:

From this thread and the Female Rasputin thread, all I can summarize from previous Korea-havers is that the only thing to talk about is alcohol. Does the country suck that much, or are the foreigners there that bored/boring?

No but alcohol is central to Korean culture so it is involved with a great many things.

Korea is the midwest of Asia. It's pleasant enough to live there but there isn't a lot to talk about or to sell it when compared with neighbors. It's a very good place to party, the food is repetitive when you live there but good. There's very little culture to speak of.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Haier posted:

Goonsgiving is great. I attended once and I loved it. Korean goons are the best goon hosts in the whole wide world. I only knew a few people from hosting them in Hong Kong but when I went to korea the goons offered me their homes.

As for the country itself, it's wedged between China and Japan so it does get neglected in terms of history/culture/tourism. So Korea is always trying to prove themselves. One wise goon said "Think of it like Canada" and as a Canadian I totally understood what he meant :canada:

At worse, you can call Korea - "Looks like Japan, but feels like China" but it's really modernizing and developing its own scene pretty quickly. Kpop is still bad but they grew out of Jpop and new Korean cuisine is actually amazing.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Grand Fromage posted:

No but alcohol is central to Korean culture so it is involved with a great many things.

Korea is the midwest of Asia. It's pleasant enough to live there but there isn't a lot to talk about or to sell it when compared with neighbors. It's a very good place to party, the food is repetitive when you live there but good. There's very little culture to speak of.

I rather stay in Korea than West Lafayette or anywhere in Indiana.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

caberham posted:

Indiana is bad, yes.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

caberham posted:

in all fairness you went to where else? in WL lol irl

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I would rather stay in Korea for one week - three weeks
I would rather stay in west Lafayette for three weeks - eternity

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

The Great Autismo! posted:

in all fairness you went to where else? in WL lol irl

Also went to Indianapolis.

The comedy stop over is Gary.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
gary is from west lafayette to chicago. the comedy stop over from indianapolis to west lafayette is whitestown via zionsville, two huge hubs of the KKK. lol!

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Kharnifex posted:

Last time I was in Hong Kong there was two scams running, one was smuggling meat in to beat some 0.002 cent tax per kilo and the other was fake eggs.

The whole salers sold them for cheap and disappeared, they were nice and heavy so market goers bought them, they were made using crushed seashell, seaweed extract and a rubber bouncy ball.

:wtc:

Re: Chinese diaspora. Chinese stuff in Japan kinda has a more Cantonese pronunciation. Does anyone know what's up with that? I'm thinking of how place names in HK sounded similar to the Japanese readings of the same characters, compared to me not being able to guess the Shanghai station names at all.

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Dude, they oughta call you Piledriver!

Clever Betty
How dare you insult glorious 200 year history of Indiana. Other unnamed states salivate at the idea of being the birthplace of Larry Bird, do you know?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

peanut posted:

Re: Chinese diaspora. Chinese stuff in Japan kinda has a more Cantonese pronunciation. Does anyone know what's up with that? I'm thinking of how place names in HK sounded similar to the Japanese readings of the same characters, compared to me not being able to guess the Shanghai station names at all.

Cantonese was the kind that traveled. Mandarin wasn't a thing beyond a small part of the northeast until the CCP forced it on everyone.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Kharnifex posted:

Last time I was in Hong Kong there was two scams running, one was smuggling meat in to beat some 0.002 cent tax per kilo and the other was fake eggs.

Ehh? That has to be BS or the decimal is in the wrong place as you would have to smuggle 1 ton of meat to "Save" 2 dollars and the costs of collecting that tax would far outweigh the income.

But then this is China BS, there really could be some dude smuggling a ton of meat for 2 extra dollars.

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug

oohhboy posted:

Ehh? That has to be BS or the decimal is in the wrong place as you would have to smuggle 1 ton of meat to "Save" 2 dollars and the costs of collecting that tax would far outweigh the income.

But then this is China BS, there really could be some dude smuggling a ton of meat for 2 extra dollars.

Ever heard of the saying "Penny-wise, Pound-foolish"? People will waste large amounts of time and effort to save amounts that come out to less than their time and effort cost them.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Wrong thread lol

Drunk & Ugly
Feb 10, 2003

GIMME GIMME GIMME, DON'T ASK WHAT FOR
https://news.vice.com/story/china-shows-off-j-20-stealth-fighter-jet-its-answer-to-the-f-22

So they have their version of our F22 but it actually flies? this flies in the face of everything I was told about competency in engineering in china in this thread

in fact it is us who have lost face

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010

Drunk & Ugly posted:

https://news.vice.com/story/china-shows-off-j-20-stealth-fighter-jet-its-answer-to-the-f-22

So they have their version of our F22 but it actually flies? this flies in the face of everything I was told about competency in engineering in china in this thread

in fact it is us who have lost face

Yes, if you take whatever People’s Liberation Army says at face value then yes.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Also one of the lesser known things about jets is the engines are really hard to make. The engineering and metallurgy is a very limited technology and the US/UK produce almost all of the good engines in the world. That's why so many planes, no matter where they're manufactured, buy the engines from those countries. An engine on a Chinese fighter is trashed and has to be replaced every couple of flights.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Just lol

"A canard fighter resembles the F22"

Who is paid to write this poo poo?

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010
unrelated

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Those Canards can't be stealthy. No vectored thrust and I doubt the engines are any good since they can't even do civilian engines right.

The nose shape is the only thing they could copy directly. The rest looks like a mash up of F35, Typhoon, Rafeel and a mig 25.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
you have it wrong, the f35 is the turd. The f22 is a technological wonder designed to fight an enemy that doesnt exist

Fauxtool fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Nov 3, 2016

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
the f-35 is good for what its meant to be: a stealth fighter we can sell to allies

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

caberham posted:

Goonsgiving is great. I attended once and I loved it. Korean goons are the best goon hosts in the whole wide world. I only knew a few people from hosting them in Hong Kong but when I went to korea the goons offered me their homes.
Whatever happened to the lovely couple that visited my family anyway? Dunno if you're in contact with the rest of the HK goons tho

Darkman Fanpage posted:

the f-35 is good for what its meant to be: a stealth fighter we can sell to allies
if by that, you mean that it's the karmic punishment for being allied to the US, then yes

The F-35 is the kind of plane you do wish upon your enemies because it is super expensive hot garbage

Imperialist Dog
Oct 21, 2008

"I think you could better spend your time on finishing your editing before the deadline today."
\
:backtowork:
Think of Japanese

peanut posted:

Think of Japanese loanwords from Chinese, Cantonese, and modern Mandarin as having an origin point from Middle Chinese during the Tang dynasty. Cantonese and Japanese followed a similar digression so if you swap a few vowels and change consonants from voiced to unvoiced you can see the similarity very quickly, like English beef vs French boeuf.

Mandarin is Chinese corrupted by horse nomad language from the north.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Grand Fromage posted:

Living in Korea for more than a year will get really repetitive if you don't make a serious point to look for different things to do. Like Grand Fromage hinted at, most things are limited in their variety (food, music, past-times, etc.). Korea really buys into the "hive-mind" effect, as as such there is a really, really, massive groupthink going on which really limits things that westerners are used to having nearly limitless variety in (food, music, shows, movies, beers, shops, hobbies, sports, etc...). When I was there I took advantage of every micro-niche hobby and sport that was available in Korea. I went downhill skiing, played hockey, tennis, went swimming, tried my hand at model-making, urban-exploration, geocaching, painting, etc.

Variety is not one of Korea's strong points (unless it involves fashion/makeup), so people visiting Korea for longer than the standard year can start to feel like they're being limited to 2-3 things to do/eat/drink/see. This is one reason why you can find so many foreign products, themed restaurants, and expat groups doing things like organizing sports/hobbies/events. If they didn't, they'd go crazy. The funny thing is that once you get through the Korean cultural veneer, they will freely admit that life gets pretty boring, really fast in Korea, and that's one reason why they have a national obsession with travelling overseas.

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
http://m.koreatimes.co.kr/phone/news/view.jsp?req_newsidx=217472

guess which country's tourists are trashing the Jeju airport? I'll give you a hint: it's somewhat topical for this thread

• Locked thread