Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal
Personally I feel like career progress plods along even more slowly in ATS. I suppose it doesn't help that I'm not a big fan of the system to begin with. Certifications w/ bonuses are cool, but please don't make me unlock parts and paintjobs and poo poo. Just give me a full parts catalog and let me buy stuff whenever I feel like I can afford it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Probably because I think their pay has to do with distance so you end up maybe doing 1.5 jobs in at to 1 in ets.

pwnyXpress
Mar 28, 2007

Kraps posted:

That means even more empty space between few options! They really need to add more cities.

Have you been to the American West?

USMC_Karl
Nov 17, 2003

SUPPORTER OF THE REINSTATED LAWFUL HAWAIIAN GOVERNMENT. HAOLES GET OFF DA `AINA.
I so want to play ATS because I absolutely love the Arizona/NV/California wastes, but (and get ready to laugh here folks) my computer is still running 32bit Vista. I'm hoping that since I'm getting ready to move and my computer is finally making GBS threads the bed, my wife will let me spring for a newer computer. Then I can truck around in the wastes to my heart's content.

I get that they're rescaling right now, but what is the big issue? Are the distances just stupid?

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Naw, it just doesn't take as long to get to your destination as it feels it should.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

They're not big enough at the moment. The scale is the same as ETS2, which means its super anemic for the fuckhugeness of the US.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

ShootaBoy posted:

They're not big enough at the moment. The scale is the same as ETS2, which means its super anemic for the fuckhugeness of the US.

The scale was way less than ETS2, which is why they are redoing it:

quote:

Upping the map scale from 1:35 to 1:20, meaning 75% longer roads outside the cities

ETS2 is 1:15 or 1:19 depending on if you're talking UK or EU. So everything was half size compared to ETS2 and now they are redoing it to be the same size.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.

Huh. I could have sworn they were the same scale.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!

ShootaBoy posted:

Huh. I could have sworn they were the same scale.

The rescale would be similar to the same. Is that why you got them confused?

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.

IAmTheRad posted:

The rescale would be similar to the same. Is that why you got them confused?

I don't think so, since I don't remember ever reading what scale they were bumping ATS up to until now. I just thought that EST2 was on a smaller scale than it was, and that ATS was even smaller than that. Hmm...

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay
It's not only the map scale, the timescale is also affected. In ETS an in-game hour takes about 3 minutes, in ATS it only takes like 1 minute and 40 seconds. So not only are you driving shorter distances, it takes a shorter time to do it. The "bubble" around the cities where time slows down is also much smaller, in some cities you can get stuck at red lights where time is not slowed down so if you sit there for 3 real minutes 2 hours will have passed in the game. The scale sucks and I can't understand why they decided to make ATS 1:35 to begin with, much respect to SCS for taking the decision to pretty much re-make the entire map.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

Much like ETS2, they weren't expecting ATS to sell as well as it has.

Oceanbound
Jan 19, 2008

Time to let the dead be dead.
I think the core gameplay is getting a bit stale at this point. It's been years since ETS2 came out, and ATS is basically exactly the same. Certain aspects of the gameplay are really begging to be improved or changed, but it's hard to do that when they're focused on expanding the map and changing the scaling. Like it's great that they're making the maps bigger, but each map extension takes months to complete, and I wonder when the base mechanics will become so unsatisfying that making a brand new truck simulator would become a better option.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Does ATS have ANYTHING between towns/cities? Any little weigh stations or anything?

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Yes, it has weigh stations and gas station and scenery and whatnot. It is pretty similar to ETS 2 in that regard with weight stations replacing the toll booths.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

GOOD TIMES ON METH posted:

Yes, it has weigh stations and gas station and scenery and whatnot. It is pretty similar to ETS 2 in that regard with weight stations replacing the toll booths.

Wait 'til the Oklahoma expansion...

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Does ATS have ANYTHING between towns/cities? Any little weigh stations or anything?

Out near Area 51, there's UFOs in the sky at night. Does that count?

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

They did focus a lot more on realistic scenery in ATS than in ETS. For example the grand canyon crossing. There are other details too but the problem is that you need to know what it looks like in real life to be able to appreciate them. From what I can tell very little in the base ETS scenery is based on reality. Excluding the Scandinavia expansion where there are a lot of real-life details added. I don't think many will know it but for example the city of Västerås in Sweden is extremely well made, almost ridiculously so for being a pretty much insignificant city in the game.

Also, the Peterbilt 389 is out! http://blog.scssoft.com/2016/11/peterbilt-389-release.html

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

People still buy farm sim 4 years later, I owl 3 versions and still play it, same basic game play with small additions for quality of life while playing.

Calling *ts old hat is a bit early

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones

In California I've seen a model of the Bates Motel from Psycho, and crop dusters. In Nevada I've seen flights of F-22's.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

If you're comparing it to ETS2 then yes, there's more detail put into areas outside of cities and while we're not talking about a huge level of detail here, like tons of small towns or industrial areas, it is still much more successful than ETS2 in making it seem like you're driving through an actual place, not Highway 1 Through Generic Green Field of Europe. As mentioned weigh stations are the new toll booths but there's stuff beyond that.

Even the cities themselves look and feel a lot more like cities. They're obviously still relatively tiny to anything else trying to resemble a city but Las Vegas feels like Las Vegas, LA like LA, SF like SF, and smaller locations look different from each other and aren't just literally copy/pasted with some backgrounds of landmarks in the background.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

Cling-Wrap Condom posted:

yes, it means I can live my dream of ripping fat clouds of weed smoke as I charge across the nevada desert at 3 times the speed limit carrying several tonnes of flammable material, while fully nude.

This is the sort of dream that one should live out in real life, not fantasy simulations.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

It has these:

https://fat.gfycat.com/ShockingSingleAmurstarfish.mp4

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal
I always like driving past the radio astronomy dish array out in the desert.

Yeah what the gently caress is up with those, anyway? :pwn:

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

Trustworthy posted:

I always like driving past the radio astronomy dish array out in the desert.

Yeah what the gently caress is up with those, anyway? :pwn:

What isn't up with them? :colbert:

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
As of today it now has this.

Sexy.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

If the 389 doesn't get an unofficial Optimus Prime skin I will be very disappointed.

Or if it's in the game now already. I don't have ATS yet as I am waiting for the rescale.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
Does/will anyone play ATS with traffic/speed laws? I didn't realize how much of a downer it was until I played the demo. Holding off on buying it till later but I wonder if I should feel guilty about it.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Morter posted:

Does/will anyone play ATS with traffic/speed laws? I didn't realize how much of a downer it was until I played the demo. Holding off on buying it till later but I wonder if I should feel guilty about it.

If you run a world of trucks contract, your limiter is forced on. That's the closest I get.

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.
The only speed limit is when the wheels are pointing the wrong way.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Yeah I turn the limiter off, also once you have a worker hauling for you speeding tickets are inconsequential.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

I'm a pedantic sperg so I go the speed limit and deal with traffic. I figure it's a good lesson on how to behave around trucks, seeing how obnoxious it is when AI traffic is a oval office.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

well if it's American truck sim, you need to 5 mph over the speed limit, while passing a truck doing 2mph over the speed limit in a low speed pass that takes 2 miles.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

tater_salad posted:

well if it's American truck sim, you need to 5 mph over the speed limit, while passing a truck doing 2mph over the speed limit in a low speed pass that takes 2 miles.

I tried doing that but it's so hard. :(

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal

shortspecialbus posted:

I'm a pedantic sperg so I go the speed limit and deal with traffic. I figure it's a good lesson on how to behave around trucks, seeing how obnoxious it is when AI traffic is a oval office.

Same. If I didn't care about realism and just wanted to play zoom zoom down the highway, I'd play Burnout or whatever and not ETS/ATS.

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

tater_salad posted:

Don't forget that as soon as you're almost past, you have to inexplicably slow down to match the other truck's speed.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Oh no, hill coming up, better go side by side up the hill now but the other truck has less weight so they are pulling ahead a bit.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

There's a saying it's the journey not the destination.

That doesn't apply to Trucking Sims. Max speed always! Vroom vroom. I ain't slowing down for no laws. Tickets are just operation costs.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
Well it's not like I want to zoom across the interstates but I feel like I was just being arbitrarily fined and that bugged the poo poo out of me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.
Make sure you have the (car) speed limit turned on for the GPS.

It's easy to miss the speed limit signs and sometimes they don't even exist.