Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

FlamingLiberal posted:

The push during ST09 was not that big tbh. A few things they planned got cancelled, like how there were going to be 6 or so tie-in novels that took place following the events of ST09 which would explore more of that universe, but they were axed at the last minute.

I think it's pretty embarrassing that Paramount or CBS or whoever it is won't license any ST games beyond that god-awful 3rd person shooter a few years ago, and other than that a couple of phone games. It's a far cry from the early 2000s when they were putting out something like 6 full games a year.

I guess I shouldn't be surprised considering how badly CBS has mismanaged the Discovery thing.

Are they refusing to license, or is nobody interested in doing a licensed game? (possibly because Paramount wants too much money?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
Star Trek Online's space combat was a good idea but like everything else in that game, a disappointment not worth spending money on

GlenMR
Dec 11, 2005

What is this emotion called "criminal negligence"?
It's free to play now, and it's not that bad? Most everything so far has been manageable as a single player, and it functions alright as an episodic sort of thing.

It's no Bridge Commander or 25th Anniversary, but hoooooly poo poo is it better than the PS3 game.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Unpopular opinion: I sorta enjoyed Star Trek: Legacy on my Xbox 360. Buggy as gently caress interface though, and awful multiplayer.

It was no Bridge Commander though :sigh:

I picked up Starfleet Academy on Steam, since that game was my obsession back in like 1999. Unfortunately on modern machines the interface just reacts too goddamn fast. The cool rotating wireframes of all the ships go at like 20x speed.

I'd kill for a proper remake of Birth of the Federation though. Or even a patch that fixes the egregious memory leak issues.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Tighclops posted:

Star Trek Online's space combat was a good idea but like everything else in that game, a disappointment not worth spending money on

Oh that reminds me, I saw STO on the Xbox store the other day, and that's free.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Kingtheninja posted:

Amazon prime has the Blu ray versions with updated visuals. Unfortunately for me, my VPN recently stopped working with prime :(

They're on Netflix too now.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Do Starfleet officers get paid? I'm onto DS9 now and I just randomly thought about how everyone gets the money to buy drinks at Quark's when they are supposed to be post-scarcity or whatever the Federation's deal is.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

FedCred.

Flakey
Apr 30, 2009

There's no need to speak. You must only concentrate and recall all your past life. When a man thinks of the past, he becomes kinder.
Sins of a Solar Empire has a pretty sweet Star Trek total conversion. http://www.moddb.com/mods/star-trek-armada-3

In case anyone tries it, disable disasters unless you enjoy V'ger showing up 5 minutes in and being an unstoppable planet killer. :v:

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Pwnstar posted:

Do Starfleet officers get paid? I'm onto DS9 now and I just randomly thought about how everyone gets the money to buy drinks at Quark's when they are supposed to be post-scarcity or whatever the Federation's deal is.

I think it's implied at some point that Federation officers who are stationed in areas of space that still use a cash economy receive some sort of small stipend in order to engage in that economy. Or something, idk.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Either way, the federation would destroy any economy it takes part in. Look up the richest man ever. He traveled across the world on some pilgrimage. Along the way, he pumped so much gold into local economies that it became almost worthless.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

FlamingLiberal posted:

The push during ST09 was not that big tbh. A few things they planned got cancelled, like how there were going to be 6 or so tie-in novels that took place following the events of ST09 which would explore more of that universe, but they were axed at the last minute.

I think it's pretty embarrassing that Paramount or CBS or whoever it is won't license any ST games beyond that god-awful 3rd person shooter a few years ago, and other than that a couple of phone games. It's a far cry from the early 2000s when they were putting out something like 6 full games a year.

I guess I shouldn't be surprised considering how badly CBS has mismanaged the Discovery thing.
Is there any word from inside as to why CBS has such a strong level of trouble with the Star Trek license? Their treatment of it is more consistent of someone with Borderline Personality Disorder than anything else.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

mind the walrus posted:

Is there any word from inside as to why CBS has such a strong level of trouble with the Star Trek license? Their treatment of it is more consistent of someone with Borderline Personality Disorder than anything else.

Gut feeling is that they just never found a showrunner who was a.) passionate about it, b.) competent, and c.) had enough power to avoid being constantly under the thumb of studio execs.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I meant more on an executive level. There are plenty of creatives who would give their arm to do Star Trek, but at the top levels CBS seems to be barely interested in it until they totally are (but wait they aren't?) and so on and so on.

My gut feeling is the expense. Star Trek just isn't a cheap show, especially after 20 straight years of Chuck Lorre sitcoms and Law & Order, so executives will sometimes get the itch to capitalize on it before another looks at the bean counter projections and is either immediately spooked off or tries really hard to retrofit Star Trek into the Star Wars mold.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I get the impression that CBS just doesn't know what to do with the IP. They have pretty much been sitting on it until now since it left Paramount (the TV side anyway).

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Networks are risk averse. If Discovery is somehow a big hit they'll be only too eager to stump for spinoffs, but as yet it's new expensive and might go nowhere, so there's no enthusiasm about the bottom line.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Ah network TV. Where quality is accidental.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Drone posted:

I think it's implied at some point that Federation officers who are stationed in areas of space that still use a cash economy receive some sort of small stipend in order to engage in that economy. Or something, idk.

Then how the hell did Riker pay to play Dabo if he wasn't stationed on the station?

This makes much more sense.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

mind the walrus posted:

Ah network TV. Where quality is accidental.
Especially CBS where they just have a show generator that kicks out the same show every year.

QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer

MrJacobs posted:

Then how the hell did Riker pay to play Dabo if he wasn't stationed on the station?

It's likely he had his own personal funds built up for the occasions he'd need a few strips of latinum.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

FlamingLiberal posted:

Especially CBS where they just have a show generator that kicks out the same show every year.

Not exactly unique to CBS.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y1SBtxRObBc

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Drone posted:

Unpopular opinion: I sorta enjoyed Star Trek: Legacy on my Xbox 360. Buggy as gently caress interface though, and awful multiplayer.

The parts of Legacy that worked were pretty decent, but it really needed another six months minimum to polish out the rough edges and maybe kill some of the bad ideas, like that awful Stargazer mission.

Not quite Star Trek, but if anyone's looking for a Captain Sisko simulator, try Halcyon 6. It combines XCOM-like starbase and crew management, turn-based RPG combat in space and on the ground, and some vaguely Star Control exploration and questing. I like it a lot and it would probably be eating up all my free time if it weren't for Civilization VI and Overwatch seasonal events.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

mind the walrus posted:

I meant more on an executive level. There are plenty of creatives who would give their arm to do Star Trek, but at the top levels CBS seems to be barely interested in it until they totally are (but wait they aren't?) and so on and so on.

My gut feeling is the expense. Star Trek just isn't a cheap show, especially after 20 straight years of Chuck Lorre sitcoms and Law & Order, so executives will sometimes get the itch to capitalize on it before another looks at the bean counter projections and is either immediately spooked off or tries really hard to retrofit Star Trek into the Star Wars mold.

Law & Order got canceled because it was expensive to produce.

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!
Starting a re watch of DS9 now that I have the series on DVD. I haven't watch it through for at least 10 years.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
I remember being so damned excited when ds9 finally hit Netflix back in 2011. It was a great watch through.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

FlamingLiberal posted:

I get the impression that CBS just doesn't know what to do with the IP. They have pretty much been sitting on it until now since it left Paramount (the TV side anyway).

I think part of it is the stupid movie/tv rights division. It's crippled the IP, and doesn't exist with any other major property I can think of. CBS probably thinks "well, if we do anything, Paramount will probably try to steal/capitalize on it anyway, why should we give them anything?" Also the idea that they can never do a movie probably puts a cold shower on their desire to do anything.

It's a prickly IP too. Demanding nerdy fans, accessibility issues with the mainstream viewing public, and it's expensive to produce.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

D-d-d-double POST!!!

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Astroman posted:

I think part of it is the stupid movie/tv rights division. It's crippled the IP, and doesn't exist with any other major property I can think of.

Marvel is getting pretty famous for it.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Law & Order got canceled because it was expensive to produce.

And Dick Wolf just changed cities and started his little tv empire over in Chicago.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
We're rewatching all of ST for the 50th and just got to TNG season 1. I never noticed how many times they had Geordi go look out a window.

Also got to the episode where they test out the visor-relay. Of course Picard waits until they're in a dangerous unknown environment to ask a bunch of questions about normal poo poo Geordi sees.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Imagine if the studio had just fixated on the visor gimmick and kept giving it more and more screentime until the show was just Geordi running around solving mysteries with VisorVision.

Although maybe that would have been better than making him a Holodeck rapist or whatever

e: I wonder if there's a lot of American TNG fans who don't understand Geordi's name in relation to Scottie. Obviously the superfans are well aware, but does that translate to the common schmuck?

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

That just makes me think of Simon Greenall as a frantically incomprehensible engineer and Steve Coogan as captain.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

WeAreTheRomans posted:

e: I wonder if there's a lot of American TNG fans who don't understand Geordi's name in relation to Scottie. Obviously the superfans are well aware, but does that translate to the common schmuck?

As a stupid kid I just assumed Geordi was a common name from the same place as LaForge. People obviously moved around a lot in the future. And race-associated names were no longer a thing.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Sorry, what's the connection? Is it some hosed up Scottish version of George or something?

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

WeAreTheRomans posted:

Not aware even a little.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
A Geordie is a person from the environs of Newcastle. They have silly accents (think the fox in Plague Dogs if you ever read that) and a reputation for being drunks. I can't say this has ever occurred to me in the context of Trek, it's probably a joke on someone's part but Geordi is about as far from being a Geordie as it is possible to be.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Welshy!!! :saddowns:

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

skasion posted:

A Geordie is a person from the environs of Newcastle. They have silly accents (think the fox in Plague Dogs if you ever read that) and a reputation for being drunks. I can't say this has ever occurred to me in the context of Trek, it's probably a joke on someone's part but Geordi is about as far from being a Geordie as it is possible to be.

Yeah this is about as much of a joke as it is. It's a slant reference to Scottie because it's also a name associated with place, in this case Northern England rather than Scotland. But rather than make him an actual Geordie, they made him a blind black guy.

Ofc, now someone will post a link to some famous blind black guy from Newcastle I'd forgotten about. I'm not saying it's not possible, just that they went for a character who doesn't square with the traditional Geordie stereotype (white, working class)

As usual, Futurama nailed it years ago

e2: I mean, "LaForge" is a pretty on-the-nose name for an engineer as well

WeAreTheRomans fucked around with this message at 13:00 on Nov 3, 2016

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Geordi is definitely working-class. You don't see Picard and Riker rolling their pampered asses under slowly closing bulkheads.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

skasion posted:

Heh, Plague Dogs is the only reason I know about Geordies. To my shame.