Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Rhyno posted:

I mean, this is the guy who wrote some of the defining teen comics of all time.

The teens defined by those runs are now balding, tho. I love Waid, but Impulse was 20 years ago, dude definitely would have walls to pass to get a teen-only book right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
That avengers del mundo art omgggg

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:
Smashing your way into our hearts one skylight at a time

Pffff, I'm way ahead of you guys because I didn't even like Champions #1.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Okay so having read champions 2, 1 ramos still can't draw kamala, and 2 waid makes his social justice jokes very obvious and writes them in such a way to where i can't tell whether he's writing it because he's trying to be like the hip and cool dad who's trying to fit in with his kids or because he thinks it's a crock of poo poo and he's trying to lambast it in the most groan worthy way imaginable

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!

Wanderer posted:

Yeah, me neither. It reads like someone trying to write a parody of a comic that's aimed at millennials.

There aren't any Millenials younger than 25. This is aimed even younger, and the issue really missed the mark pretty bad.

That micro-aggressions line didn't come off as insulting, just a really desperate "this is what kids are saying, right?"

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
To me it was just that no one seemed in-character. Kamala was this nagging Hermione-type who got angry at the idea that she could be a nagging Hermione-type. Amadeus was a 'roidy meathead who made an unironic comparison between Cyclops and Hitler. Viv was, yeah, an emotionless beep-booper. They spend half the issue on the team introducing their powers to each other despite the fact that three of them were already on the same team before. And what the frick was that page on "micro-aggression" about? Does Waid know what that word means?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I loved Avengers, Occupy Avengers, Moon Knight, and Merc with a Mouth. Champions and Spider-Woman were good too. Haven't gotten to Unworthy Thor yet but it's my last Marvel book for today and so far it's been a great day.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Poor Miserable Gurgi posted:

There aren't any Millenials younger than 25. This is aimed even younger, and the issue really missed the mark pretty bad.

That micro-aggressions line didn't come off as insulting, just a really desperate "this is what kids are saying, right?"

Millennials started being born in 1980.

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!

Rhyno posted:

Millennials started being born in 1980.

Yeah, and looking it up, it's skewed younger than I thought. Still, the cutoff is 18 or 19, and everyone in that book is younger.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I've never liked amadeus cho, especially not as the hulk, and champions hasn't been changing my mind

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
I think Occupy Avengers is hilarious as a concept.

Hawkeye asks 'How do you fight a contaminated water supply?'
Normally that would be a very good question that brings attention to political, logistical and legal problems that can't just be punched away.
But this problem is being caused by criminals and villains that can be fought and punched, thus negating the whole point and removing any nuance.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Holy poo poo the art in Avengers is so loving good.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

It seems a step down from the craziness of Weirdworld though. Still good, just more mundane.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Holy poo poo the art in Avengers is so loving good.

Del Mundo is a treasure.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Avengers art was great, but the story was confusing and kind of lacking. Will buy every issue off the art alone though because, well, holy poo poo.

Champions continued to be great, Waid achieved the impossible and made me really like Cyclops (although, to be fair, young Cyclops has always been pretty good). Dunno why people are complaining that Kamala's being written as Hermione, she's always been a total Hermione. Like that's her defining character, the principled nerd who has very strong, forceful opinions. The Nova/Spider-Man bromance continues to be great.

Beyond that Mercs for Money was also very good, and Foolkiller was basically exactly what I wanted from that comic. Foolkiller is great and I would strongly recommend everyone check it out.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Foolkiller was definitely more promising than solo I'll give it that

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Odinson has some great nipples in his comic.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Unworthy Thor is the book of the week.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Manatee Cannon posted:

I've never liked amadeus cho, especially not as the hulk, and champions hasn't been changing my mind

cho in champions doesn't even vaguely resemble cho in hulk

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Champions feels really loving weird. Like with the exception of Miles and maybe Sam (and his eternal suffering), the characters just don't read as I have been reading them in the past.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Champions was trash. I'm mainly reading it for Viv but it barely feels like the same character, and the writing on the others feels equally off and the art is hideous. Why couldn't they have gotten del Mundo instead?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

It's funny to see complaints about Waid not being and to write teens anymore as he's killing it on Archie.

ub
Feb 9, 2003

no dont
Pillbug
"Sassy" is the word that came to mind for pretty much everyone's dialog in Champions. Didn''t respect already established personalities and everyone sounded same-y. Surprisingly Bad. Gonna miss the young avengers trio we were seeing up till now.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Endless Mike posted:

It's funny to see complaints about Waid not being and to write teens anymore as he's killing it on Archie.

Difference is Archie isn't about Superheroes.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Yeah the writing in this week's Champions was bad but holy poo poo is the art dogshit. Viv deserves better imo.

How's the new Thor book?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

fadam posted:

How's the new Thor book?

Unworthy Thor #1 was the book of the week.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I liked Champions. It was nice to see a comic that was just chill.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Never doubt a Jason Aaron Thor book

It was a good opening issue

Question though because I have not read original sin and I want to make sure I have the story straight: the new watcher odinson talks to on the moon is Nick fury sr correct?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Yes, unless Aaron pulls something that is him.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Mang I really wanted the watcher back after secret ears

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Rhyno posted:

Yes, unless Aaron pulls something that is him.

ty

Synthbuttrange posted:

Mang I really wanted the watcher back after secret ears

I'm okay with nuWatcher I really dig his look

site fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Nov 3, 2016

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Codependent Poster posted:

I liked Champions. It was nice to see a comic that was just chill.

I hope actual teens will enjoy the book. Besides Nova and Cyclops, the other four have been rarely written by anyone other than their creators. I don't know if it's hip, but it was a solid read.

Avengers was just so drat good. Everyone should give this one a shot.

Unworthy Thor was awesome. Would be the best book if Avengers wasn't so great. Two Thor books a month is going to be a real treat.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Unworthy Thor is only a five issue mini series.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

site posted:

ty

I'm okay with nuWatcher I really dig his look

He looks okay but can you imagine this killjoy hosting a what if?

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Is Unworthy Thor going to actually reveal what made Thor Odinson unworthy?

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

irlZaphod posted:

Is Unworthy Thor going to actually reveal what made Thor Odinson unworthy?

Is there literally any reveal they could pull out that wouldn't be bad?

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008
Champions #1 already had me thinking that Waid's Kamala sounded nothing like Wilson's, but I don't know if anyone here will agree with me that the closest I've seen to Wilson's-without-being-written-by-Wilson was Kamala's Moon Girl and Devil Dinosaur #10 and #11 appearances, even though the centrality of Inhumanity in Lunella's book has Kamala leaning far more on it then in her own. (Amy Reeder and Brandon Montclare also dealt with the concept of microaggressions far differently than Waid did.)

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Onmi posted:

Is there literally any reveal they could pull out that wouldn't be bad?

I think this is one of those things you have to do even if it is bad.

Maybe that's why he's waiting so long. Toss it in at the end of his run. "Loki is Odin's biological son. You're the frost giant!" then walk away and let the next guy deal with it.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

He's left it so long at this point that he'd be better off leaving it dangling and for nobody to ever mention it again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

irlZaphod posted:

He's left it so long at this point that he'd be better off leaving it dangling and for nobody to ever mention it again.

It's one of those things you kind of can't never mention. I mean... you can, but then you either have to retire the character (HA!) or hope no one ever asks what the gently caress about the elephant drilling a plot hole in the room. Well... I mean you can reset the universe. But that's cheating, you can't just reset the universe when you write yourself into a corner.

• Locked thread