Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-37670091

quote:

Boris Johnson has insisted the case for leaving the EU was "blindingly obvious" after a previously unpublished article he wrote before the referendum appeared to cast doubt on his views.

In a newspaper column in February, now published by the Sunday Times, he suggested staying in the EU would be a "boon for the world and for Europe".

Mr Johnson says he was "wrestling with the issue" at the time and was merely trying to make the "alternative case".

Critics accused him of "duplicity".

Mr Johnson was a leading figure in the campaign to exit the EU and became foreign secretary after the Leave vote in the June referendum.

Amid growing pressure on the government to spell out its negotiating objectives for Brexit, Mr Johnson insisted last week that the UK could get a trade deal that was "of greater value" to the economy than access to the EU single market, which he described as an "increasingly useless" concept.

But in February's pro-Remain column, Mr Johnson backed membership of the free trade zone, describing it as "a market on our doorstep, ready for further exploitation by British firms". He added: "The membership fee seems rather small for all that access. Why are we so determined to turn our back on it?"
Media captionPolitical editor of the Sunday Times Tim Shipman said Boris Johnson "had doubts that swung both ways"

In the article, which was produced at the same time as a pro-Brexit article published in the Telegraph, Mr Johnson also warned Brexit could lead to an economic shock, Scottish independence and Russian aggression.

He wrote: "There are some big questions that the 'out' side need to answer. Almost everyone expects there to be some sort of economic shock as a result of a Brexit.

"How big would it be? I am sure that the doomsters are exaggerating the fallout - but are they completely wrong? And how can we know?"

Mr Johnson had previously admitted to writing the pro-Remain piece but its contents had not been known until now - having been revealed in a new book by Sunday Times
Asked whether he had changed his views on the issue, Mr Johnson said before the referendum was called "everybody was trying to make up their minds".

"It's perfectly true that I was wrestling with it, like a lot of people in this country," he said.

"And I wrote a long piece which came down overwhelmingly in favour of leaving. I then thought, I'd better see if I can make the alternative case to myself, so I wrote a kind of semi-parodic article in the opposite sense, which has mysteriously found its way into the paper this morning, as I think I might have sent it to a friend.
Media captionWhat's the deal with a Brexit deal vote? Nick Clegg explains

"I sent them side by side and it was blindingly obvious what the right thing to do was."

Shipman said Mr Johnson's column contradicted positions he had adopted since joining the cabinet following Theresa May's appointment as prime minister but also "dispels the myth that Johnson's case for remain was better than his argument to leave".

Lib Dem foreign affairs spokesman Tom Brake said it would "confirm many people's suspicion that he put his own career ahead of the interests of the country".

"Boris was bang on about the threat of Brexit to the economy and the unity of the country - it is a shame he did not listen to his own warning."
'Betrayal'

Leave campaigners say pre-referendum forecasts of an immediate economic shock failed to materialise, although critics of Brexit point to the fall in the value of the pound against the dollar and the euro as evidence.

Former deputy prime minister Nick Clegg, who supported a Remain vote, suggested Mr Johnson and other "opportunists and chancers" backing Brexit had lied to the British people during the referendum campaign about the economic impact of Brexit.
Media captionShould MPs vote on Brexit talks stance? Priti Patel tells the BBC's Andrew Marr the government "will deliver" on Brexit

"If I was a Brexit voter, I would feel increasingly betrayed that I voted in the belief that all these Brexiteers knew what they were doing," he told the BBC's Andrew Marr Show.

"I would be increasingly angry that these people, months after the referendum, still won't come clean about what they mean by Brexit."

Mr Clegg, who is part of a cross-party campaign urging a parliamentary vote on the UK's negotiating strategy with the EU, said having a "sensible and coherent plan" in place before beginning official talks would "strengthen" Mrs May's hand.

But International Development Secretary Priti Patel warned against MPs "using Parliament as a vehicle to subvert the democratic will of the British people".

She told Marr that MPs were already debating the government's strategy on a daily basis - pointing to two statements made by ministers during the past week.

"The job of the government is to deliver the result of the referendum. The British people have spoken and we are going to deliver for them."

The prime minister has said she wants the best access to EU markets for British business after Brexit but has signalled she also wants limits on freedom of movement - which EU leaders say is incompatible with continued membership of the single market.

On Sunday, First Minister Nicola Sturgeon said she believed a deal could be reached that would allow Scotland to retain access to the single market after Brexit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

vyelkin posted:

Also four EU members (Poland, Czech Republic, Slovakia, and Hungary) have publicly said that they will veto any deal that involves their EU citizens being denied freedom of movement to the UK.

Lol at Hungary : we want freedom of movement but gently caress those refugees

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Malcolm XML posted:

Lol at Hungary : we want freedom of movement but gently caress those refugees

Yeah Hungary especially are, uhh, kinda dicks. I'm a bit curious what the politics are like there, are there any Hungarians on SA?

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Private Speech posted:

Yeah Hungary especially are, uhh, kinda dicks. I'm a bit curious what the politics are like there, are there any Hungarians on SA?

They just had a referendum on whether or not to accept the EU's migrant resettlement quotas. 98% of voters rejected the quotas (i.e. "gently caress migrants") but not enough people showed up to make the results valid.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

vyelkin posted:

They just had a referendum on whether or not to accept the EU's migrant resettlement quotas. 98% of voters rejected the quotas (i.e. "gently caress migrants") but not enough people showed up to make the results valid.
Yeah, the opposition to the referendum decided to fight it by making it invalid, by not showing up to vote and thus keeping the total vote below the minimum required, rather than even attempt to win in the usual fashion.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Also relevant: The Pound being uh... well, pounded after May's hardline speeches.

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

"I just love beeting off"

Don't worry, my uncle, a successful business man who got oversee the bankruptcy and dissolution of a fairly large firm, has assured me that the feeling pound isn't a problem because the gains in the FTSE demonstrate investors have faith in British industry.

That there might be some sort of casual relationship between the former to the latter was apparently crazy talk with no basis. I'm convinced these are the sorts of views being put about by actual Tory ministers and advisors.

Also in case anyone is wondering pretty much the whole civil service is currently spending all their energies wishing suffering and misery on the current government.

Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy
I've lost 20% of my income since the vote, just due to the exchange rate. Every day it gets a little worse.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Measly Twerp posted:

I've lost 20% of my income since the vote, just due to the exchange rate. Every day it gets a little worse.

Yes but the evil Polish people and various brown hordes from Foreign haven't taken your job, so presumably you should be thankful in the eyes of the cretins that voted for Brexit.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Now there was an article about brexit in the paper today and some guys want some naval ship to go back into service? As if one extra boat will make it all better? What the hell

Hollow Talk
Feb 2, 2014

got any sevens posted:

Now there was an article about brexit in the paper today and some guys want some naval ship to go back into service? As if one extra boat will make it all better? What the hell

It's not a "naval ship" so much as the royal yacht Britannia which was put out of service and is moored in Edinburgh. Basically, a bunch of people want to reinstate a royal yacht in which the leaders of the British Empire Mk. II can sail the world and, more specifically, which Liam Fox can use to sail to other countries in order to impress, thus making future trade deals more likely.

Basically, Britain was great when it had the Empire, Britain will be great post-Brexit, thus we need to reinstate all the markers of having an Empire. :byoscience:

Insanely Sikh
Aug 26, 2009

Winner, SA's Sikh Of the Year, 2013
Fox will gently caress Werrity on the boat

WhitemageofDOOM
Sep 13, 2010

... It's magic. I ain't gotta explain shit.

Hollow Talk posted:

It's not a "naval ship" so much as the royal yacht Britannia which was put out of service and is moored in Edinburgh. Basically, a bunch of people want to reinstate a royal yacht in which the leaders of the British Empire Mk. II can sail the world and, more specifically, which Liam Fox can use to sail to other countries in order to impress, thus making future trade deals more likely.

Basically, Britain was great when it had the Empire, Britain will be great post-Brexit, thus we need to reinstate all the markers of having an Empire. :byoscience:

I look forward to england learning what it's like to be the country being under an empire's thumb.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

Measly Twerp posted:

Am I hugely wrong here, or is this not the case for anyone being paid in sterling e.g. every British person basically? Yours is just more immediately apparent due to (I assume) living or working somewhere that uses the Euro?

Also spare a thought for my American colleague who transferred his life savings to U.K. banks and investments two or three months before the referendum.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Hollow Talk posted:

Gonna be impressive as hell when your leader has to spend two weeks on sea to travel to a different country like a hobo.

Better get yourself a gold plated A380 with an ivory board toilet, that will really impress the local chiefs.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Raspberry Jam It In Me posted:

Gonna be impressive as hell when your leader has to spend two weeks on sea to travel to a different country like a hobo.

Not sure that's seen as a drawback by the ministers proposing it to be honest.

Hollow Talk
Feb 2, 2014

Raspberry Jam It In Me posted:

Better get yourself a gold plated A380 with an ivory board toilet, that will really impress the local chiefs.

Can't be an A380, the manufacturer's original name even had "European" in it!!! :britain: Fox will simply have to ride on a Rolls Royce turbine, Dr Strangelove-style.

Airbus Group used to be EADS, i.e. European Aeronautic Defence and Space Company

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.

ineptmule posted:

Am I hugely wrong here, or is this not the case for anyone being paid in sterling e.g. every British person basically? Yours is just more immediately apparent due to (I assume) living or working somewhere that uses the Euro?

No, because most British people spend most of their money in Britain, and while some things go up in price if the pound falls (imported goods), a lot either doesn't or goes up by a lesser amount. So your loss is much higher if you're paid in pounds and spend in something else.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

WhitemageofDOOM posted:

I look forward to england learning what it's like to be the country being under an empire's thumb.

Its been the case for a while now.

Nosfereefer
Jun 15, 2011

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM

Private Speech posted:

Good.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Gort posted:

Its been the case for a while now.

So far they've merely had to deal with the problems of being one of many sovereign countries trying to outcompete each other.

Now they will be a single nation forced to accept rules of a cartel of countries that is not just trying to get an economic advantage over Britain, but also holding a grudge.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

WhitemageofDOOM posted:

Uh we've been Americas lapdog since the 60's. Brexit wasn't the final nail in the coffin. Not sure what "power" you think we had to lose. The real hurt is going to be poor people unable to afford to eat.

steinrokkan posted:

So far they've merely had to deal with the problems of being one of many sovereign countries trying to outcompete each other.

Now they will be a single nation forced to accept rules of a cartel of countries that is not just trying to get an economic advantage over Britain, but also holding a grudge.

As I said poor people are going to get it hard. The elite will feel nothing of "being under an empire". These people have houses in multiple countries, can live wherever they want. Only the least deserving will feel the full force of brexit. Is this still enough for your schadenfreude?

This all seems like sins of the father bullshit. No one from 1827 or whenever is alive today.

Regarde Aduck fucked around with this message at 12:50 on Oct 18, 2016

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

steinrokkan posted:

It's gonna be awesome. Britain will have to give all EU citizens extraterritoriality, then I can ride through central London on a chav and randomly hit people around me with my whip. Maybe I can even break someone's legs, if they refuse to bow to me. :allears:

PST
Jul 5, 2012

If only Milliband had eaten a vegan sausage roll instead of a bacon sandwich, we wouldn't be in this mess.
The article 50 case before the Lord Chief Justice, and the summing up by both the Attorney General for the government, and Lord Pannick for the plaintifs really endorses the article a few weeks ago in the Telegraph on the respective legal 'weight' of the two leads.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/09/29/in-its-battle-for-brexit-the-government-is-bringing-a-knife-to-t/

The key part of Pannick's summing up (though the whole argument has been dense and has involved Scottish devolution, the European rights of the child, Rees-Mogg, a Jamaican common assault trial, and a 19th-century lawsuit regarding lobster factories in Newfoundland):

Namely that Royal Prerogative doesn't give the PM (Executive) the power to remove rights unless parliament specifically gives a minister that power.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Regarde Aduck posted:

Uh we've been Americas lapdog since the 60's. Brexit wasn't the final nail in the coffin. Not sure what "power" you think we had to lose. The real hurt is going to be poor people unable to afford to eat.

As I said poor people are going to get it hard. The elite will feel nothing of "being under an empire". These people have houses in multiple countries, can live wherever they want. Only the least deserving will feel the full force of brexit. Is this still enough for your schadenfreude?

This all seems like sins of the father bullshit. No one from 1827 or whenever is alive today.

I feel no schadenfreude, I just responded to a guy saying that Britain had already been subject of some empire for a long time.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!
Grate Britane will beg on its knees to rejoin the EU, and will be readmitted as the only country ever to the newly-created status of second class co-prosperity sphere member, in exchange for giving 51% of every British industry to Guy Verhofstadt, chief aide to the iron chancellor Schulz.

orange sky
May 7, 2007

https://www.reddit.com/r/sysadmin/comments/593qg4/microsoft_price_increases_for_uk/

Nice.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

blowfish posted:

Grate Britane will beg on its knees to rejoin the EU, and will be readmitted as the only country ever to the newly-created status of second class co-prosperity sphere member, in exchange for giving 51% of every British industry to Guy Verhofstadt, chief aide to the iron chancellor Schulz.

Nah, Brexit cannot fail, it can only BE failed. If things go badly after Brexit it will be the fault of the forruns and the lefty loon Remoaners who didn't BELIEVE IN BRITANE. The government will never do a u-turn and go back to the EU, the papers and the public would never stand for it.

Hollow Talk
Feb 2, 2014
This is an interesting article by the BBC's Berlin correspondent that starts with a metaphor about cookies and rolls with it in order to explain different political cultures and that tries to elucidate why Brits might not "get" that Merkel isn't just playing hard to get when she says "no".

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-37799805

suburban virgin
Jul 26, 2007
Highly qualified lurker.

Hollow Talk posted:

This is an interesting article by the BBC's Berlin correspondent that starts with a metaphor about cookies and rolls with it in order to explain different political cultures and that tries to elucidate why Brits might not "get" that Merkel isn't just playing hard to get when she says "no".

I wonder if anyone in power actually cares what their EU counterparts say/mean/want. Has the Conservative party flatly accepted the deal of ten thousand years of rule in exchange for a collapse in living standards, economic output, and international relevance? Is all the posturing and talk of the negotiating table purely for the benefit of the British Brexit audience, who will be appropriately shocked and appalled when the cruel EU apparatchiks don't play fair and let us crash drunkenly out of the system? Is it all just another setup to blame the forrens when everything goes wrong?

Hollow Talk
Feb 2, 2014

Fargo Fukes posted:

I wonder if anyone in power actually cares what their EU counterparts say/mean/want. Has the Conservative party flatly accepted the deal of ten thousand years of rule in exchange for a collapse in living standards, economic output, and international relevance? Is all the posturing and talk of the negotiating table purely for the benefit of the British Brexit audience, who will be appropriately shocked and appalled when the cruel EU apparatchiks don't play fair and let us crash drunkenly out of the system? Is it all just another setup to blame the forrens when everything goes wrong?

It's always the Polish: https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/nov/01/liam-fox-pre-brexit-deal-setback-european-union

Haramstufe Rot
Jun 24, 2016

Hollow Talk posted:

it would be hillarious if this was the plan of the UK,
because if Merkel said no lol boy, guess what the answer is gonna be

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Brexit might just get held up indefinitely or killed. I can't believe Nigel Farage is still opening his mouth to spew dumb poo poo.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-37857785

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Hollow Talk posted:

In short, German rhetoric doesn't gently caress around with "please ask me again later to save face" courtship. No is no and Theresa probably thinks poor Angela has a tic causing her to blurt something sounding like "fik dik ouch" every couple minutes but the truth is that Theresa's the only person who ever sees it.

throw to first DAMN IT
Apr 10, 2007
This whole thread has been raging at the people who don't want Saracen invasion to their homes

Perhaps you too should be more accepting of their cultures

oohhboy posted:

Brexit might just get held up indefinitely or killed. I can't believe Nigel Farage is still opening his mouth to spew dumb poo poo.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-37857785

https://twitter.com/mjrobbins/status/794151054363529220

Hollow Talk
Feb 2, 2014

EUROPEAN

FAUXTON posted:

In short, German rhetoric doesn't gently caress around with "please ask me again later to save face" courtship. No is no and Theresa probably thinks poor Angela has a tic causing her to blurt something sounding like "fik dik ouch" every couple minutes but the truth is that Theresa's the only person who ever sees it.

Pretty much.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010
"You openly gay ex-Olympic fencer judge" has to be the nicest insult ever made. I mean who reads that and goes "what a terrible person!" Even if you hate gays you have to acknowledge the fact that the guy isn't just a top level athlete but also a top level law expert.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
British courts have ruled that any Brexit article 50 declarations need to go through Parliment, instead of just being a PM fiat like Theresa May wants.

https://www.theguardian.com/politic...0-politics-live

Add a little bit of excitement to the process

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Read like literally every other post posted today. We know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

MiddleOne posted:

Read like literally every other post posted today. We know.

Ah, I lost interest at the gay judges pictures

• Locked thread