Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?

Thermopyle posted:

I haven't had Kodi installed on my main desktop PC running Windows 10 in a long time, but I just installed it this morning.

It constantly freezes up for 30-120 seconds at a time. It does fine while playing a video, but if I stop the video, or if I alt-tab out and back, it's completely unresponsive and Windows shows it as "Not Responding".

Anyone have any ideas whats going on?

That sounds a lot like my general experience with running XBMC on Windows.

Maybe try the Krypton betas if you aren't already on those. Didn't they bump the DirectX version there? Could mean it'll run better on W10.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry
My Kodi on Windows 7 freezes up for about 10 seconds when you play a file, but only sometimes. That is with the Emby plug in, but using native paths.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Bag of Sun Chips posted:

I've currently got 3 external networked hard drives with content that streams to an Android TV (Mi Box) and an Amazon Fire. I'm looking to access my Kodi library/content when I'm traveling from a sideloaded version of Kodi on my Amazon FireStick. I currently have Dynamic DNS setup, and I have 2 questions:

I don't know how much you travel or how long you're away but the easiest thing would probably be to replace the Fire Stick with another Mi Box and a WD My Passport. It would take up more room in your luggage but at least it would be self-contained and not reliant on your internet/setup at home.

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Oct 19, 2016

MeKeV
Aug 10, 2010
Did anyone that switched over to Emby for library management, earlier in one of these threads, for the native kodi integration move back/over to Plex after they improved their kodi integration?

I feel Plex is a more polished product, and gets more development, and I'm not particularly keen on emby's dodgy 'lifetime' subscription. But day to day Emby as my kodi backend is totally fine...

redhalo
May 19, 2009

I looked in to what was dodgy about Emby's lifetime subscription, and yeah, that is odd. But, for what it's worth, to use Emby with Kodi cost absolutely nothing.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
Emby's lifetime thing is just more honest, its the lifetime of a major revision and they usually last like 5+ years. They should really just name it something else to avoid confusion though. It's a fair deal, no one really honors lifetime subs anymore they just yank them 2-3 years later when they realize its unsustainable.

In terms of Plex vs Emby, I switched back to Plex once PlexKodiConnect came around. I didn't really notice a difference between them from the server side. My reasoning was just the quality of the Emby apps isn't the greatest for my family members. I always use Kodi so it makes no difference to me what is on the backend but the Emby apps on some platforms are outsourced and kind of mediocre. Beyond that it's pretty much flip a coin. If anything I think Emby has the better server side management tools and the integrated metadata editor is fantastic. If they improved their apps I would switch again.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
Is SPMC still being maintained or did the Dev make nice with Kodi again?

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I went to emby and then switched back to plexkodiconnect.

It's easier for me because my parents use the native plex app via android tv streaming from my server.

I did have to do a fresh reinstall of kodi though, I wasn't able to get alltraces of emby out of kodi even after removing the plugin and wiping all the sources.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

I switched to emby, back to plex, and back to emby.

I just like the emby web ui more (though it's not great either). The apps only get used very rarely so that doesn't matter much to me, but the web ui I use a few times a month for editing metadata.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry
I have never used Plex with Kodi, but I used to use a shared SQL DB before I changed to Emby. Emby is better than that in every way. Run it on a Ubuntu file server that also host all my videos.

deebo
Jan 21, 2004

What does emby give me over standard kodi shared database and files hosted on a nas?

I don't currently need transcoding for anything and the internet here is too slow to access my nas from the internet.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

deebo posted:

What does emby give me over standard kodi shared database and files hosted on a nas?

I don't currently need transcoding for anything and the internet here is too slow to access my nas from the internet.

Better media management. No loving around with sql databases. Setting up a new instance of Kodi is as simple as installing the emby plugin and logging in.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh
How does it compare to headless Kodi? I know headless Kodi is still under dev, but it seems like a pretty promising way to handle cases like this.

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?

Avenging Dentist posted:

How does it compare to headless Kodi?

It is working right now.

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
if it's not rough it isn't fun.

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Better media management. No loving around with sql databases. Setting up a new instance of Kodi is as simple as installing the emby plugin and logging in.

This really is worth stressing. You don't have to go edit config files to point at the database or anything like that. You install the addon, it autodetects emby on your network via a broadcast, you enter login credentials from the UI, and it pulls your library info really fast. I'm not using it this way personally, because I found that I didn't like emby's scraping capabilities as much as the native Kodi scrapers, but it absolutely does work and was great during the period when I DID use it.

Edit: Thermopyle is 100% right on the metadata editing. When I was using Emby actively, that was a godsend. I used it for doing stuff like setting custom ratings on content that I didn't want my son to watch (because 1970s PG is very much not the same as 2016 PG).

G-Prime fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Oct 25, 2016

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Also, editing metadata and stuff is way better with the Emby web ui.

Tapedump
Aug 31, 2007
College Slice
NUC Kodi HDMI handshake issue?

Point me in the right direction.. I have a problem with a NUC, LibreELEC (and OpenELEC), and audio that stops working in between uses. Is this a better thread than the HTPC one?

Problem is:

NUC (D54250WYK) -> mini HDMI to HDMI cable -> Vizio M60-C3 TV. TV has Toslink optical audio out to Yamaha soundbar, with TV speakers off.

Logitech Harmony controls the works. The soundbar always stays on, the NUC always stays on, and the TV gets turned off and on.

Given a combination of criteria unknown to me, each time I use Kodi, the audio will not play. A restart of the NUC fixes this sometimes, but not always. This is what confuses me the most, the inconsistent behavior.

I suspect it's an HDMI handshake or some such issue occurring when the TV turns off and therefore breaks the "chain" of NUC-thru_TV-to_soundbar, but I don't know how to diagnose or fix it.

Can anyone talk this out with me? I follow directions very well. The wife is down my throat about this, so I am not opposed to buying an AVR if that will keep things working.

(Notes: OpenElec Isengard on a Zotac AD-10 never did this, and I have other NUCs that I could make available for testing. However, I used the oldest NUC I have, a Haswell model, in hopes of having better compatibility than the Broadwells I have. I also realize these are stupid overkill for Kodi.)

Tapedump fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Oct 26, 2016

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?
I've got the same box and have yet to experience any problems after three years or so of usage.

What do your audio output settings in Kodi look like?

Tapedump
Aug 31, 2007
College Slice
I'll post them in just a bit when I get home.

Do you also have a third device like a sound bar, or are you straight NUC <-> mini HDMI to HDMI patch cable <-> TV's input?

Edit: Here we go...

Tapedump fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Oct 26, 2016

Bigsteve
Dec 15, 2000

Cock It!
Quick question, SPMC has suddenly started to stop playing consistently around the 10 minute mark of movies. I noticed that this was just movies.
My tv shows play fine. They are stored on different disks. I have just tried some movies on a different disk and they play fine.

This rules out the network so im assuming my hard drive is going to die soon? Checking transfer rates and so on.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

Bigsteve posted:

Quick question, SPMC has suddenly started to stop playing consistently around the 10 minute mark of movies. I noticed that this was just movies.
My tv shows play fine. They are stored on different disks. I have just tried some movies on a different disk and they play fine.

This rules out the network so im assuming my hard drive is going to die soon? Checking transfer rates and so on.

can you play the vids in VLC?

BeerMarket
Feb 5, 2014

Anyone else been experiencing issues with PlayOn lately? I can barely get Netflix videos to play from the Kodi addon, and HBO Go stuff is pretty much a 100% failure rate.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
I need a quick recommendation for a box to use in a hotel room to throw videos on and watch. Maxing out at 60fps 1080p mkv's, mostly lower, I need something that will run this with subtitles independently of any other hardware. What box do I get and what storage media should I be looking at?

Bigsteve
Dec 15, 2000

Cock It!

Bonzo posted:

can you play the vids in VLC?

Yeah. And if I move the file to another drive it will play fine. Bought a new data controller just in case and still drops after about 10 mins.

Gotta be the drive dying surely? Tried sections and it passes all the tests.

Tried installing kodi on my server. That also stops after 10 mins.

Time for a new drive. This is only a couple of years old. loving seagates. I have 15 year old western digital running like clockwork.

Bigsteve fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Oct 29, 2016

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
I fixed this. Or rather, I fixed it enough.

MC Fruit Stripe fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Nov 2, 2016

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
I wonder if the recent audio improvements in Shield Experience 3.3 have made using SPMC not as necessary? I've been having some issues with video freezing in SPMC and have been kinda thinking about setting up Emby and moving back to Kodi anyway. Any thoughts?

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe

EC posted:

I wonder if the recent audio improvements in Shield Experience 3.3 have made using SPMC not as necessary? I've been having some issues with video freezing in SPMC and have been kinda thinking about setting up Emby and moving back to Kodi anyway. Any thoughts?

I like SPMC just due to the recommendations and voice search integration but yeah if you need DTS:X passthru then you can use either one. Is it videos freezing over wifi? I had consistent problems with Plex/Kodi and the Shield wifi. I eventually got fed up and hardwired it which solved my problems. I'm using SPMC with the PlexKodiConnect plugin. Previously I had used Emby which worked ok but was much slower in importing new stuff into the library and wasn't consistent in its behavior.

As an aside I want to murder Nvidia for whatever clips they used in the RJ45 slot on the Shield. It holds cables with a death grip and you need to ram a safety pin in there to get them out without damaging the port.

Dyscrasia
Jun 23, 2003
Give Me Hamms Premium Draft or Give Me DEATH!!!!
I would think SPMC is still needed until the next version of kodi. My understanding is that kodi cannot do proper pass through on android, so regardless of the shield is changes, SPMC is still needed. If I understand correctly, the current beta can do Android pass through. I've not tried it though.

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
I just spent the last two days loving with getting PlayOn to work with PseudoTV Live. Fail. Then again to get Netflix to even work with PlayOn. Fail. Error code about not having access to Widevine Content even though it's clearly enabled. It won't let me update it no matter how many times I disable my virus scan and reinstall Chrome.

My quest to marry Hulu and Netflix with my local library has been a failure with Kodi. Might as well pack my bags and go back to the Plex and individual Netflix app. The information out there on this stuff is so little and brief. I quit.

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009
Don't try to get Kodi to do everything.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

89 posted:

My quest to marry Hulu and Netflix with my local library has been a failure with Kodi. Might as well pack my bags and go back to the Plex and individual Netflix app. The information out there on this stuff is so little and brief. I quit.

Practically no one does this because it pretty much doesn't work anymore. And even when it did the user experience wasn't very good. For Hulu, Amazon Prime, and Netflix you are better served by using apps on a smart tv, a Roku, or something else.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe
I don't use Prime but I do everything else perfectly in one interface with the Shield. Best damned HTPC I've ever owned. I tried all sorts of addons and hacks to get Kodi to do everything, it was a loving nightmare that was totally unstable and the WAF was significant.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry
Yeah, that is the only complaint have about the Shield is the lack of Prime support. But my TV has it, so it's ok.

Minty Swagger
Sep 8, 2005

Ribbit Ribbit Real Good
https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/950524/amazon-prime-on-the-shield-tested-and-working-mostly-/

Looks like someone found a way to side load in the apk with it working rather well. It's worth a shot anyway!

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Do you need to root to sideload apps on the Shield?

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Internet Explorer posted:

Do you need to root to sideload apps on the Shield?

No

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

89 posted:

Here's the easiest way. Buy an android box like the Fire TV or Xiaomi Mi Box. Get a Kodi skin that allows custom entries like Amber. Add the official hulu/netflix apps to your favorites and link them to the front page.

Of course, you're dealing with a different UI when you open those apps and it isn't just one giant list of poo poo that's available but it's all remote friendly and you'll return to Kodi after you exit the app.

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps

Call Me Charlie posted:

Here's the easiest way. Buy an android box like the Fire TV or Xiaomi Mi Box. Get a Kodi skin that allows custom entries like Amber. Add the official hulu/netflix apps to your favorites and link them to the front page.

Of course, you're dealing with a different UI when you open those apps and it isn't just one giant list of poo poo that's available but it's all remote friendly and you'll return to Kodi after you exit the app.

Are Fire TVs really that powerful?

I'm not gonna lie. I can't get my computer to not occasionally bump me out of full screen mode from Kodi or Steam. It'd be nice to not worry about that. It's pretty much a given that I'll get bumped out of full screen mode once every time I watch a movie. I have no idea what application is doing that. And apparently you can't force full screen mode on a Windows application.

At the end of the day, I GUESS my Xbox One isn't doing a terrible job with the trio of Plex/Netflix/Hulu + voice control...

89 fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Nov 3, 2016

Burden
Jul 25, 2006

89 posted:

Are Fire TVs really that powerful?

I'm not gonna lie. I can't get my computer to not occasionally bump me out of full screen mode from Kodi or Steam. It'd be nice to not worry about that. It's pretty much a given that I'll get bumped out of full screen mode once every time I watch a movie. I have no idea what application is doing that. And apparently you can't force full screen mode on a Windows application.

At the end of the day, I GUESS my Xbox One isn't doing a terrible job with the trio of Plex/Netflix/Hulu + voice control...

The first firetv box is plenty powerful to play Kodi. I wouldn't recommend the stick however. I used it for a long time before I moved all my watching to Plex. Kodi worked perfect, and like another poster said find a skin that lets you set up shortcuts to apps on the firetv. Works great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe
Either the FireTV or the Shield is fine for those purposes. I've owned both and prefer the Shield but the FireTV is certainly cheaper and does have Prime "built in" so to speak. You have to sideload Kodi and I got fed up with Amazon's cat and mouse bullshit so that's the flip side.

Just don't get the Stick.

edit: beaten