Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

SRM posted:

I've wanted to do a Knight for a while, and after getting the Renegade box set at NOVA and doing some homework on Knight schemes, I found one I really liked from Epic:

So began a project that was kind of a nightmare at every opportunity, from primers not matching paints, to paints not covering, to sourcing decals and then having those transfers rip and fall apart, to my cat knocking the drat thing over and breaking it more than once, but it's finally done and I'm finally happy with it. Joke's on me for choosing a primarily yellow color scheme, I guess:

I even painted LAKAR on the chestplate upside down and had to rewrite it, proving no step of this project was safe from frustration:

Base deets:

And you can bet I magnetized everything! I actually had a lot of fun doing that:

And all the bits:

Dude if I were Noomi I would be scared shitless of that thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Ignite Memories posted:

Dude if I were Noomi I would be scared shitless of that thing

Nooms knows no fear

Nichol
May 18, 2004

Sly Dog

SRM posted:

...frustration...

Without suffering there is no loving sick and epic hams...

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

That knight rocks SRM! Now paint up some Lamenter allies for your Ultras :D

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Zark the Damned posted:

That knight rocks SRM! Now paint up some Lamenter allies for your Ultras :D
:shepicide: fun fact, Army Painter Demonic Yellow is the single weakest, streakiest, shittiest paint I've ever used

Nichol posted:

Without suffering there is no loving sick and epic hams...
Only in death does painting end

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo
I painted a slaughterbrute. I'll probably clean up the larger spikes, but 90% of the model was done just by drybrushing and washing. I wanted to get him done quickly, but try and see if I could get something I was happy with. I dig the result and it looks great on the table.

I think the contrast on the back could be a bit better. I went for blood for the blood god in the octed instead of a bright wash that might glow and stand out.

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Lot of really dope poo poo these last few posts. :hellyeah:

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

ijyt posted:

Never once have I seen a finished model where I'd have known zenith all priming was used unless they told me. The one time it was obvious was a model that has been painted with just glazes, but it looked tabletop quality at best. Still haven't been convinced that it's worth the extra time. :shrug:

I found it saves some times as the painter mainly because it gives hints of how light would fall on the model instead of trying to figure it out. This is especially so with OSL where it gives me a better concept how the model will fill with brightness.

Also added benefit, you don't have all black, grey, or white primed models when playing with them in casual games and people can tell what the models are because of the built in shadows and highlights you get from zential.

And it doesn't take a lot more time with an airbrush. It's taking your dark color and adding white to it to made the shades.

EVIL Gibson fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Oct 31, 2016

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?
Is this a decent entry set of brushes for $30? I'm getting the masters brush cleaner with them as well.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0069FC9FO/

e: And this seems the best compressor I can find for under $200. The main complaint from reviews is the on/off being hard to reach.

https://www.amazon.com/Badger-Air-Brush-Co-TC910-Compressor/

goodness fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Oct 31, 2016

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

goodness posted:

Is this a decent entry set of brushes for $30? I'm getting the masters brush cleaner with them as well.

Those five packs of the cheaper small watercolor brushes are a good jumping off point, yeah. They'll eventually conk out on you even if you take good care of them, but they're a good ratio of quality vs price. I chewed through a few packs of them in the first couple years of painting. Once you're deeper in it's definitely worth it to spend the same amount on a couple nicer individual kolinsky sable brushes, but even then I like to keep a bunch of those da Vinci type brushes for things like basecoats and less meticulous stuff.

Autodrop Monteur
Nov 14, 2011

't zou verboden moeten worden!
I'm not very good at painting, but I'm quite happy how my Maghariba Guard turned out:

Lord Hypnostache
Nov 6, 2009

OATHBREAKER
Cross-posting from the oath thread. I used GW's Youtube channel's painting instructions for the Ghouls and Crypt Horrors. Simple and looks good.

Lord Hypnostache posted:

:ghost:Oath complete!:ghost:

I'm claiming Theme for the spooky scary skeletons.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Slimnoid posted:

Cross-posting some :spooky: from the Terrain thread.

The graveyard so far. It's about good enough for a 3'x3' table, though perhaps a bit more sparse than I'd like. For what I got done in a month I'm pretty happy with it so far.

Additional plans are to have some trees, a couple hills, and a decent line of fencing. Possibly a pumpkin patch just for the heck of it. I might try my hand at scratch-building some mausoleums to give some semi-large pieces of blocking terrain, with maybe casting it so I can just pump out copies as I see fit. I'm definitely going to make a giant hanging tree, complete with dangling bodies, as befitting a happy place like Malifaux.

:aaaaa: Looks like I got a plan for Frostgrave terrain now. (they'll probably look frozen)

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)

goodness posted:

e: And this seems the best compressor I can find for under $200. The main complaint from reviews is the on/off being hard to reach.

https://www.amazon.com/Badger-Air-Brush-Co-TC910-Compressor/

That's the compressor I have. Its fine reaching the on/off switch. I actually just waited till I got a 50% off coupon for Dick Blick and bought it there for like $80 or something.

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

ijyt posted:

I mean, you just brush the brush in the soap until you get a nice lather than rinse and repeat until clean. I don't get what's not to get.

All it ends up doing is colouring the soap. My brushes still end up frayed, thinning my paints just capillary draws it up into the ferrule faster .
sonicator generally shakes it out but not always.

x posting from Historicals thread.

Finished my Pak 40 :toot:

I love those oak leaves Slimnoid

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

Kommando posted:

All it ends up doing is colouring the soap. My brushes still end up frayed, thinning my paints just capillary draws it up into the ferrule faster .
sonicator generally shakes it out but not always.

x posting from Historicals thread.

Finished my Pak 40 :toot:

I love those oak leaves Slimnoid

What is the guy with the rocket launcher doing?

"Hey guys we are shooting at! Just look at this thing! Flippin' A, right?!?"

vkeios
May 7, 2007

It's actually a rangefinder and not some bizarre attempt to blow up something to his side.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

vkeios posted:

It's actually a rangefinder and not some bizarre attempt to blow up something to his side.

Yeah, either end of the tube is a lens that show an image to the user. You then adjust the lenses until both images are in focus, and because the unit is a fixed width you can now calculate the distance to the target - usually the rangefinder would do this mechanically.

Zhent
Oct 18, 2011

The difference between gods and daemons largely depends upon where one is standing at the time.
This immediately brought to mind this clip:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=36IxAWko46A&t=57s

Holding your rocket launcher sideways is a viable strategy.

Also, the model looks great. I really like the muzzle blast effect, I think it look more reasonable there than on the more futuristic weapons which shouldn't work on gunpowder.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
I'm halfway through painting a squad of minis and I've decided the colors are too dark and want to start over.

I've got some concentrated Simple Green, what dilution should I use to strip them?

Cyclomatic
May 29, 2012

"I'm past caring about what might be lost by letting alphabet soups monitor every last piece of communication between every human being on the planet."

I unironically love Big Brother.

mango sentinel posted:

I'm halfway through painting a squad of minis and I've decided the colors are too dark and want to start over.

I've got some concentrated Simple Green, what dilution should I use to strip them?

I always pour straight out of the bottle, unless you've got some sort of concentrated gel. I pour it into a new bottle to reuse after the model is done soaking.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
Does anyone itt know how bright Lupercal Green is compared to Incubii Darkness and Kabalite Green?

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
I just finished up my unit of 12 Reiksguard. I had to mix in some Knights Panther bits because that's just what I have, but I'm pretty happy with the results nonetheless:

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?
I got a bunch of Bolt Action guys and have no idea if they have been washed. Unfortunately they are already glued together so I don't know how easy it would be to wash them

counterspin
Apr 2, 2010

Dip them in simple green, scrub with toothbrush if they sturdy enough to take it, rinse. Works with any soap.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

SRM posted:

I just finished up my unit of 12 Reiksguard. I had to mix in some Knights Panther bits because that's just what I have, but I'm pretty happy with the results nonetheless:

These guys are looking solid. Almost makes me want to dig out my Warhams and get more of them painted up for my KOW force (but this month will likely be a 40k month, have stuff to prepare for the goonmeet).

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Hot tip, don't get any enamel pigment fixer on to the GW texture paints, it'll just have them crumble straight off the base.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Zark the Damned posted:

These guys are looking solid. Almost makes me want to dig out my Warhams and get more of them painted up for my KOW force (but this month will likely be a 40k month, have stuff to prepare for the goonmeet).

Thanks! Not gonna lie though, after painting these guys and building a bunch of Empire characters, I'm itching to paint spacemans again.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
Wrapped up a long term invoice with a client so I spoiled myself.

I've wanted a fine-detail brush for a while, so I bought an Iwata HP-C Plus

Badger for the base coats, and this guy for the rest. It's very pretty.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
Public service announcement: If anyone is looking for a Patriot 105, they routinely go on sale ($45 range) around the Black Friday to Christmas timeframe.

Slimnoid posted:

Cross-posting some :spooky: from the Terrain thread.
That stuff is great looking! Where did you find the pumpkins?

nesbit37 posted:

I actually just waited till I got a 50% off coupon for Dick Blick and bought it there for like $80 or something.
How did you get that? I've never seen anything above 25%.

Iznogood
Jul 10, 2001

Hello thread! Been lurking here and the model kits thread and have posted there yesterday because I got a new badger 150 airbrush and am wanting to learn. Since I do a lot of model kits I posted there but today IU got a gift from someone!

A friend was visiting and I asked him if he had a couple of miniature figurines from back in our rd&d days. He said sure and gifted me this set. I guess I could use advice about how to go about that. That is try to strip the paint off of them or just primne them. I know it's probably a shame to do that but they where not mad eby hand. he bought some battletech game back in the day that came with these prepainted.

So is it possible to just strip them bare? I guess priming on top would kill some tdetail but maybe for practice it's the simplest way?

Thanks!!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

berzerkmonkey posted:

That stuff is great looking! Where did you find the pumpkins?

The pumpkins are from Reaper, Secret Weapon, and HO-scale from Scenery Express. I made molds of them because I knew I'd need a lot, so that saves a lot on cost in the long run.

If you're curious on how I painted them up, I kept it pretty simple on account of doing a lot of batch-painting:

Reaper Rust Brown > GW Reikland Fleshshade > Rust Brown painted from halfway up > Coat d' Arms Flame Orange painted near the top. Stems are white > black wash > brown wash > brown/green mix wash. Green glow is GW Snot Green > P3 Necrotite Green > GW Scorpion Green.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Iznogood posted:

Hello thread! Been lurking here and the model kits thread and have posted there yesterday because I got a new badger 150 airbrush and am wanting to learn. Since I do a lot of model kits I posted there but today IU got a gift from someone!

A friend was visiting and I asked him if he had a couple of miniature figurines from back in our rd&d days. He said sure and gifted me this set. I guess I could use advice about how to go about that. That is try to strip the paint off of them or just primne them. I know it's probably a shame to do that but they where not mad eby hand. he bought some battletech game back in the day that came with these prepainted.

So is it possible to just strip them bare? I guess priming on top would kill some tdetail but maybe for practice it's the simplest way?

Thanks!!

With pre painted Miniatures quite often you cannot strip off the paint that is already there and so it is simply easier to Prime over it and then start your own paint job.

Iznogood
Jul 10, 2001

Indolent Bastard posted:

With pre painted Miniatures quite often you cannot strip off the paint that is already there and so it is simply easier to Prime over it and then start your own paint job.

Yeah got told that in the other thread. Oh well I'll try because what have I got to lose? But it's all for practice so I'll just try everything.
Thanks!

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
You can strip them by using a very quick dunk in acetone. If you do it too long they get floppy tho. I've stripped a bunch of Heroclix this way.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

El Estrago Bonito posted:

You can strip them by using a very quick dunk in acetone. If you do it too long they get floppy tho. I've stripped a bunch of Heroclix this way.

Unless the sweatshop labour really gooped on the paint I personally wouldn't risk this, but glad to know I have an option if the need arises.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
Just ruined a few minis with fuzzy primer :(

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

mango sentinel posted:

Strip them and try again. You could also take a toothbrush to them and try and get the fuzz of while leaving the primer on.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
How do I strip primer from a plastic mini?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

mango sentinel posted:

same I used a friends army painter primer and tbh... it was kinda lovely

my halfords primer designed for cars was way smoother