Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

mango sentinel posted:

How do I strip primer from a plastic mini?

What kind of primer is it? Simple Green takes Krylon off for me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

mango sentinel posted:

Same way you take paint off any other model. Simple Green or Dettol depending where you are. Leave it in overnight and scrub it off with a toothbrush after 24 hours. The OP has info about it if you're still unsure:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3705692#post442594521

On just Simple Green:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3210214&userid=126494&perpage=40&pagenumber=9#post412328648
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3210214&userid=126494&perpage=40&pagenumber=9#post412362416

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
I guess ruined is a bit strong, but they're certainly textured.

Also I didn't realize simple green would strip primer effectively. Thanks guys.

It's not even humid today, I think I was just spraying from a little too far.

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth
Auto primer is the best primer. Those speciality primers are bunk. If I want a specific color as a base coat I'll use lotion then workable fixative.

Anyway, I just got some Tamiya clear red and I'm gonna put it on acryluc. Do I need to do anything before I apply the tamiya? I though it was "against the rules" to do solvent based paint on top of acrylic...

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

mango sentinel posted:

Those don't honestly look that bad.

I've certainly painted much worse when it comes to table top quality troops. Though they were gaunts, so having a couple of sketchy ones don't really stand out all that much from a big pile.

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

He damned me for a eunuch,
and my mother for a whore.

Fun Shoe

mango sentinel posted:

Yeah, that's one thing that can cause fuzziness like that. How long did you shake the rattlecan of primer? That can also affect how it goes on.

If you have the scratch, I highly recommend getting an airbrush and compressor setup. Makes priming an absolute breeze, especially if you want to experiment with zenithal priming for preshading, and humidity ceases to be a factor. Plus you can get some excellent blending/fading effects with thin enough paint. (It's taken the apparent death of my TC-828 compressor to make me realize how useless I am without an airbrush. ...Well, my compressor died and I picked the wrong spray primer to use on Bones minis and now I'm way behind on a project.)

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

SRM posted:

Same way you take paint off any other model. Simple Green or Dettol depending where you are. Leave it in overnight and scrub it off with a toothbrush after 24 hours. The OP has info about it if you're still unsure:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3705692#post442594521

On just Simple Green:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3210214&userid=126494&perpage=40&pagenumber=9#post412328648
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3210214&userid=126494&perpage=40&pagenumber=9#post412362416

only get dettol if you can't find Fair Power spray

it's so much better at stripping and easier to work with

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Dr. Gargunza posted:

Yeah, that's one thing that can cause fuzziness like that. How long did you shake the rattlecan of primer? That can also affect how it goes on.

If you have the scratch, I highly recommend getting an airbrush and compressor setup. Makes priming an absolute breeze, especially if you want to experiment with zenithal priming for preshading, and humidity ceases to be a factor. Plus you can get some excellent blending/fading effects with thin enough paint. (It's taken the apparent death of my TC-828 compressor to make me realize how useless I am without an airbrush. ...Well, my compressor died and I picked the wrong spray primer to use on Bones minis and now I'm way behind on a project.)
Shook the can a good 3-4 minutes. It's just Krylon flat and has been fine before, so I'm more inclined to say user error.
Speaking of Bones, that's primed Reaper minis just fine, but they get kind of weird and tacky afterwards. Is that just a side effect of the plastic formulation Reaper uses or what? Hasn't effected any actual painting aside from cat hairs sticking more often.

An air brush would be cool, but I currently don't have a space where I could use one in the apartment. I'll keep an eye on the Patriot 105 to go on sale around Black Friday though.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
I'm glad we're getting into the season for airbrush sales, because I want to pick one up myself.

What's the difference between any given airbrush of a general quality? Is there any merit to buying a Krome over a 105 with an ultrafine needle in it?

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Moola posted:

only get dettol if you can't find Fair Power spray

it's so much better at stripping and easier to work with

Not necessarily true any more, IIRC they changed the active ingredients and Power Spray isn't good any more? I could be misremembering though.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Zark the Damned posted:

Not necessarily true any more, IIRC they changed the active ingredients and Power Spray isn't good any more? I could be misremembering though.

Unfortunately this is the case. I hate brown dettol and really wish FPS still worked.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
this is the worst news I have heard all day

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
If you're in the UK buy Biostrip. It behaves like nitromoors but doesn't melt plastic. I've left stuff in it for weeks.

http://www.biostrip.co.uk/

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Yeah, Biostrip 20 is the absolute best thing for stripping models, as long as they aren't resin. And if you have to use can primer, I recommend Halfords Matt Black.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
halfords grey primer is also really good

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

DiHK posted:

Auto primer is the best primer. Those speciality primers are bunk. If I want a specific color as a base coat I'll use lotion then workable fixative.

Anyway, I just got some Tamiya clear red and I'm gonna put it on acryluc. Do I need to do anything before I apply the tamiya? I though it was "against the rules" to do solvent based paint on top of acrylic...

Normally true, but IIRC Tamiya's lacquers use some primer-esque formula that is a bit more gentle than other lacquers.

If you want to play it safe, I'd say seal the mini before applying.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
Can you guys talk to me a little about how you base?

For my Warhams I'm just gonna throw down some PVA glue around their feet and dredge it in some sand.

I just bought my first Malifaux kit though and want those to have a little more effort. What are some fundamentals I should know about basing? Do you guys normally decorate the base before attaching your mini?

I do know to check gardening stores for to get less expensive flocking stuff, especially slate.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

Yeah, Biostrip 20 is the absolute best thing for stripping models, as long as they aren't resin. And if you have to use can primer, I recommend Halfords Matt Black.

Krylon primers have always done great by me, and I've even had okay luck with Rustoleum primers. I've also really liked GW's primers but I've only really used Macragge Blue and Rhinox Hide. They're spendy though. Army Painter's primers have been good to me so long as I've followed the instructions to the letter.

mango sentinel posted:

For my Warhams I'm just gonna throw down some PVA glue around their feet and dredge it in some sand.

I just bought my first Malifaux kit though and want those to have a little more effort. What are some fundamentals I should know about basing? Do you guys normally decorate the base before attaching your mini?

I do know to check gardening stores for to get less expensive flocking stuff, especially slate.

I just use ballast from railroad supply/Woodland Scenics. I mix in some finer and coarser ballast, paint some watered down PVA glue on the base with a brush after assembly, then prime the whole thing. The primer seals in the basing material and if you're priming black, it'll also get into the recesses a bit and provide some shading for drybrushing later. I sometimes also put rocks (real pebbles or cut up corks) and other debris on the base if I want skulls or rubble or whatever. Adding grass or snow or something like that afterwards also really elevates a base, and is super easy. Just put some glue down after everything's all done and put some grass or snow on it, tap the model off and blow on it to make sure any loose flock is gone, and you're done.

SRM fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Nov 3, 2016

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

mango sentinel posted:

Personally I use dried herbs for foliage and dried tea granules from used teabags for soil (mix various kinds for a more natural looking variety of soil types) with a VERY small amount of static grass

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

mango sentinel posted:

Shook the can a good 3-4 minutes. It's just Krylon flat and has been fine before, so I'm more inclined to say user error.
Speaking of Bones, that's primed Reaper minis just fine, but they get kind of weird and tacky afterwards. Is that just a side effect of the plastic formulation Reaper uses or what? Hasn't effected any actual painting aside from cat hairs sticking more often.

An air brush would be cool, but I currently don't have a space where I could use one in the apartment. I'll keep an eye on the Patriot 105 to go on sale around Black Friday though.

My big recommendation if your airbrushing inside a small space is to get a collapsible fume hood. You spray with it running and it sucks most of the bullshit out a window

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

mango sentinel posted:

Woodland Scenics stuff goes a really long way.

Now for small model count games I do like to look at stuff like fancy base inserts and resin bases.

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

He damned me for a eunuch,
and my mother for a whore.

Fun Shoe

w00tmonger posted:

My big recommendation if your airbrushing inside a small space is to get a collapsible fume hood. You spray with it running and it sucks most of the bullshit out a window

Seconded here. You can search Amazon for a "portable spray booth"; the one offered by Master Airbrush folds down into a handy case with a handle when not in use. Some of the compressors they offer are small enough to only take up a couple of cubic feet, even with the tank (and you can order tankless compressors, but those aren't recommended as highly as ones with tanks).

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

Neurolimal posted:

Normally true, but IIRC Tamiya's lacquers use some primer-esque formula that is a bit more gentle than other lacquers.

If you want to play it safe, I'd say seal the mini before applying.

Thanks. BTW that's krylon, not lotion. The lotion goes in the basket.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Dr. Gargunza posted:

Seconded here. You can search Amazon for a "portable spray booth"; the one offered by Master Airbrush folds down into a handy case with a handle when not in use. Some of the compressors they offer are small enough to only take up a couple of cubic feet, even with the tank (and you can order tankless compressors, but those aren't recommended as highly as ones with tanks).

Thirded. I have one of these and it's great:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sUTy824G3mo

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh

mango sentinel posted:

I'm going whole hog on jungle bases with a mix of Vallejo texture paints (black lava and dark earth) plus some etched-brass jungle plants.

Avenging Dentist fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Nov 3, 2016

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

Moola posted:

Personally I use dried herbs for foliage and dried tea granules from used teabags for soil (mix various kinds for a more natural looking variety of soil types) with a VERY small amount of static grass

I've been doing this too, for a few models. Dried used tea is especially good stuff and I recommend it if you want a virtually inexhaustible supply of ground flock.

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

mango sentinel posted:

methylated spirits

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

mango sentinel posted:

I paint with the figure very lightly superglued to a base (often a trash base specifically for this purpose). I'll do the basing separately, then do touch-ups/gap filling after I move the completed figure over.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
I prefer non slotted miniatures specifically because you can do them separate to the base then stick them on later

I hate having to glue in the slotted mini then base around its feet :argh:

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

Moola posted:

I hate having to glue in the slotted mini then base around its feet :argh:

Saw them tabs off and drill a pinhole instead. It's what I do for all my guys that have tabs.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
I do that for plastics for sure

bit more of a hassle for metal models though

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

It's not too bad if you pick up a modelling saw with a serrated blade. I just look at it as basically the same as cutting off gates on resin models.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
oh I meant the pinning not the cutting of the tab, clippers and sanding do that fine

takes ages to bore a decent hole with my hand drill though yeesh

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

I only have an issue on metals when I'm using insanely small bits, like around #80. Those just don't seem to want to bite into the pewter, but it could be because I'm using cheapo bits. You could always get an electric drill like the Tamiya one...

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
I might get that actually

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Moola posted:

I might get that actually

It's a model kit in and of itself :ssh:

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

mango sentinel posted:

I assembled my gremlins off-base, blue-tacking them to dimes while I worked on sculpting the custom bases from coffee stirrers and toothpicks. Then I glued them onto the bases and painted everything. After that, I put a little foliage on there and then used a layer of pouring medium for the swamp water. Pics in my post history

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

TTerrible posted:

Thirded. I have one of these and it's great:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sUTy824G3mo

Do they go on sale for less than $80 often?

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

ijyt posted:

It's a model kit in and of itself :ssh:

what the fuuuuuick???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Moola posted:

what the fuuuuuick???

It's a pretty great little hobbyist gag, considering that this presentation saves all of a few cents and is likely beat out by the packaging requirement.