Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zorodius
Feb 11, 2007

EA GAMES' MASTERPIECE 'MADDEN 2018 G.O.A.T. EDITION' IS A GLORIOUS TRIUMPH OF ART AND TECHNOLOGY. IT BRINGS GAMEDAY RIGHT TO THE PLAYER AND WHOEVER SAYS OTHERWISE CAN, YOU GUESSED IT...
SUCK THE SHIT STRAIGHT OUT OF MY OWN ASSHOLE.

BUY IT.

AugmentedVision posted:

Variety and I think it's probably healthier, since the health dangers of smoking weed (and cigarettes or anything for that matter) is that inhaling lots of smoke is bad, not some specific chemical in the smoke

wouldn't just vaping be at least as healthy? why make it so complicated

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

thathonkey posted:

what is the point of that are there some people that exclusively buy wax

I work with a guy that only buys wax or shatter. I'd rather just go in to Denver, buy an ounce of flower, and have two weeks of weed than buy a gram of wax every other day or so. To each their own, I guess.

His tolerance is pretty much hosed.

Zorodius
Feb 11, 2007

EA GAMES' MASTERPIECE 'MADDEN 2018 G.O.A.T. EDITION' IS A GLORIOUS TRIUMPH OF ART AND TECHNOLOGY. IT BRINGS GAMEDAY RIGHT TO THE PLAYER AND WHOEVER SAYS OTHERWISE CAN, YOU GUESSED IT...
SUCK THE SHIT STRAIGHT OUT OF MY OWN ASSHOLE.

BUY IT.

Illavick posted:

Look, I've made a post in this thread before and no one seemed to care. Maybe you guys just glance over youtube vids and poo poo. Maybe you just too spaced to see it. It really bears repeating. I mean it really REALLY bears repeating.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eaR9KTknePE

This is the one and only. Jesus, listen to this poo poo stoned and sink into a velvet swamp slick wet with pussy juice that holds top notes of pomegranate and nectarine.

it's pretty good

reallivedinosaur
Jun 13, 2012

Ogdober subrise! XDDD

AugmentedVision posted:

I don't think inhaling butane is all that bad

My logic: it's not very different from methane and I don't think eating farts is harmful

butane is all long gone by the time you are dabbing it

you prob inhale more every time your bic lighter misfires lighting a joint

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Despite how much more it makes you cough I would assume dabbing is less unhealthy for you than smoking, since the only exposure to butane is when you're heating the nail, so you're really just dropping the dab onto a heat source. Plus I'm guessing a lot of the carcinogenic stuff comes from the actual burning plant matter, which isn't there when you dab.

How unhealthy is smoking weed for you anyway? I rarely smoke from anything but glass and I haven't smoked a cigarette in like 4-5 years, but I still cough like a newbie on even regular-sized hits from a bong or bowl.

AugmentedVision
Feb 17, 2011

by exmarx

Kelp Me! posted:

How unhealthy is smoking weed for you anyway? I rarely smoke from anything but glass and I haven't smoked a cigarette in like 4-5 years, but I still cough like a newbie on even regular-sized hits from a bong or bowl.

I imagine it's about as unhealthy as smoking an equal mass of unfiltered tobacco.

Illavick
Sep 15, 2012

WHENA MINA RENA VATIVE

Zorodius posted:

it's pretty good

sweet validation. Thank you, kind stranger. Good name for a strand: kind stranger.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

AugmentedVision posted:

I imagine it's about as unhealthy as smoking an equal mass of unfiltered tobacco.

The smoke is about as bad for you yeah, but weed doesn't leave tar, and tobacco does.

AugmentedVision
Feb 17, 2011

by exmarx

basic hitler posted:

The smoke is about as bad for you yeah, but weed doesn't leave tar, and tobacco does.

I don't really know what tobacco "tar" is specifically, but if you don't think weed smoke leaves a sticky black residue wherever it travels then lol

reallivedinosaur
Jun 13, 2012

Ogdober subrise! XDDD

AugmentedVision posted:

science man posted:

In 2013 the International Lung Cancer Consortium found no significant additional lung cancer risk in tobacco users who also smoked cannabis. Nor did they find an increased risk in cannabis smokers who did not use tobacco. They concluded that "Our pooled results showed no significant association between the intensity, duration, or cumulative consumption of cannabis smoke and the risk of lung cancer overall or in never smokers." They cautioned that "Our results cannot preclude the possibility that cannabis may exhibit an association with lung cancer risk at extremely high dosage.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Long-term_effects_of_cannabis#Cancer

as far as lung cancer goes there's no cannabis link, most of the respiratory problems with cannabis have to do with the coughing and mucus production

lots of patients need the rapid onset you get with smoking vs edibles so im sure more research will be done

tobacco always seems to come out worse

reallivedinosaur
Jun 13, 2012

Ogdober subrise! XDDD
could be that "regular cannabis use" is a handful of puffs a day, vs chain smoking camels

AugmentedVision
Feb 17, 2011

by exmarx

reallivedinosaur posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Long-term_effects_of_cannabis#Cancer

as far as lung cancer goes there's no cannabis link, most of the respiratory problems with cannabis have to do with the coughing and mucus production

lots of patients need the rapid onset you get with smoking vs edibles so im sure more research will be done

tobacco always seems to come out worse

I don't dispute that, but I think it's because weed smokers smoke a lot less mass than tobacco smokers, not because tobacco smoke is inherently worse. Also don't forget that "no proven link" means "the link could not be proven with a certainty higher than 95%" when it comes to medical studies. They could be, like, 60% sure that weed causes cancer (I don't think they are), and they would publish "no proven link".

Illavick
Sep 15, 2012

WHENA MINA RENA VATIVE
Burning anything and inhaling the smoke is going to have a negative impact on your health. Weed is pretty drat light in my experience. I've had periods where I smoked only weed, smoked only cigarettes and smoked both. The cigs definitely have a big impact and the weed doesn't seem to do anything, health wise. I've never horked up a weed lougie but I sure have with tobacco.

reallivedinosaur
Jun 13, 2012

Ogdober subrise! XDDD

AugmentedVision posted:

I don't dispute that, but I think it's because weed smokers smoke a lot less mass than tobacco smokers, not because tobacco smoke is inherently worse. Also don't forget that "no proven link" means "the link could not be proven with a certainty higher than 95%" when it comes to medical studies. They could be, like, 60% sure that weed causes cancer (I don't think they are), and they would publish "no proven link".

i get the feeling tobacco is inherently worse just because chewing it give you mouth cancer and i never heard of getting mouth cancer from chewing just any old plant?

itll be cool to see real research coming out, not just propaganda reefer madness "weed makes your dick come off" stuff

reallivedinosaur
Jun 13, 2012

Ogdober subrise! XDDD
i gotta get around to scannign and posting one of the :canada: health and safety pamphlets that comes with the lovely weed stephen harper was selling

it has some nonsense in there about dont smoke weed if your a man who plans to have a family in the future and lots of other silly 50s era nonsense and the whole tone of it is all "this isnt medicine but the courts say it is, blah blah"

so square no way are those guys gonna legalize weed

e: poo poo guess they got a pdf of it

http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/dhp-mps/alt_formats/pdf/marihuana/info/cons-eng.pdf

AugmentedVision
Feb 17, 2011

by exmarx

reallivedinosaur posted:

i get the feeling tobacco is inherently worse just because chewing it give you mouth cancer and i never heard of getting mouth cancer from chewing just any old plant?

itll be cool to see real research coming out, not just propaganda reefer madness "weed makes your dick come off" stuff

Yeah that's actually a really good point. But maybe again it's a matter of quantity and you really can get mouth cancer from mint if you chew it in the same volume as people who dip?

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Originally, Native Americans set tobacco on fire in a bowl and breathed it through a 2-pronged straw into their nostrils until they passed out. Whether that is safer or more dangerous than the preservatives in cigarettes is debatable, whether this post is even on topic is debatable, but i'm high and I don't care

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

nicotine can make you trip balls. there was a TCC thread where a goon gave trip reports about smoking uncured tobacco leaf and basically seeing god

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

AFAIK chewing/dip tobacco gives you mouth cancer because they cure the tobacco over a wood fire and it absorbs the carcinogens from the smoke. It's why Swedish snus apparently doesn't give you mouth cancer, since it's steam-cured instead of fire-cured.

Also a massive part of the health risk from cigarettes comes from the chemicals in the papers: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_additives_in_cigarettes

quote:

One significant issue is that while all these chemical compounds have been approved as additives to food, they were not tested by burning. Burning changes the properties of chemicals. More than 4,000 chemical compounds are created by burning a cigarette, 69 of which are carcinogenic.[1][2]

Basically the same main reason they can't say vaping nicotine is 100% safe; the 2 main ingredients in vape juice are perfectly safe when ingested but not enough long-term research exists about when they're atomized into a mist and pulled into your lungs

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

also while most forms of getting nicotine are unhealthy, and nicotine itself can both make you trip balls and be fatally toxic in the right quantities/delivery methods (you can eat the tobacco from a cigarette with no problems, but if you drank the equivalent amount of nicotine in liquid form you'd probably get sick as hell), like most drugs, when used responsibly it's pretty awesome, increases cognition, memory retention and other great stuff. There's a reason coffee and cigarettes are the stereotypical study aids

Dual role of nicotine in addiction and cognition: A review of neuroimaging studies in humans

Meta-analysis of the acute effects of nicotine and smoking on human performance

Snow Cone Capone fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Nov 3, 2016

AugmentedVision
Feb 17, 2011

by exmarx
Weed thread getting all scientific and poo poo

AugmentedVision
Feb 17, 2011

by exmarx
Speaking of science, I'm literally a scientist and I loving love getting high and working. I wouldn't say it "opens my mind, man" or anything like that, but what it does is make me just lazy but lucid enough that, if I've been overthinking something, I cut it out and the simple approach I was missing becomes crystal clear.

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

Kelp Me! posted:

also while most forms of getting nicotine are unhealthy, and nicotine itself can both make you trip balls and be fatally toxic in the right quantities/delivery methods (you can eat the tobacco from a cigarette with no problems, but if you drank the equivalent amount of nicotine in liquid form you'd probably get sick as hell)

Good news, Cigarette Juice!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ztp0vHSSVqM

psychokitty
Jun 29, 2010

=9.9=
MEOW
BITCHES

AugmentedVision posted:

Speaking of science, I'm literally a scientist and I loving love getting high and working. I wouldn't say it "opens my mind, man" or anything like that, but what it does is make me just lazy but lucid enough that, if I've been overthinking something, I cut it out and the simple approach I was missing becomes crystal clear.

That poo poo is so loving awesome.

I too am a scientist, but currently as an avocation.

AugmentedVision
Feb 17, 2011

by exmarx
it's 420 somewhere

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
the only thing i cannot do blazed is operate morse code on my ham radio

well i can send fine, but you need a pretty sharp brain to copy what the other dude's sending. i havent been able to do it smogged out yet. and ive been licensed for 25 years and smokin for 20

Hardawn
Mar 15, 2004

Don't look at the sun, but rather what it illuminates
College Slice

basic hitler posted:

nicotine can make you trip balls. there was a TCC thread where a goon gave trip reports about smoking uncured tobacco leaf and basically seeing god

I think about that thread from time to time and wish I could replicate his mysterious dying and drying process that went down

Hardawn fucked around with this message at 11:47 on Nov 3, 2016

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Kelp Me! posted:

AFAIK chewing/dip tobacco gives you mouth cancer because they cure the tobacco over a wood fire and it absorbs the carcinogens from the smoke. It's why Swedish snus apparently doesn't give you mouth cancer, since it's steam-cured instead of fire-cured.

Also a massive part of the health risk from cigarettes comes from the chemicals in the papers: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_additives_in_cigarettes

Basically the same main reason they can't say vaping nicotine is 100% safe; the 2 main ingredients in vape juice are perfectly safe when ingested but not enough long-term research exists about when they're atomized into a mist and pulled into your lungs

Though there is some evidence that nicotine alone is carcinogenic the vast majority of all the data linking tobacco and cancer is based on cigarettes and is not directly applicable. Anyone who tells you definitively that nic juice can't cause cancer is full of poo poo

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

nicotine is a nearly loving meritless poison that's good for when you can't reach for a loving drink, a pill, or a bat to hit yourself with to chill the gently caress out. That poo poo is the basis of pesticides., and is one. Using it really makes no loving sense

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

poverty goat posted:

Though there is some evidence that nicotine alone is carcinogenic the vast majority of all the data linking tobacco and cancer is based on cigarettes and is not directly applicable. Anyone who tells you definitively that nic juice can't cause cancer is full of poo poo

No I agree, nobody can say that nic juice doesn't cause cancer, for both the reasons you and me mentioned. Not only is there not enough evidence on nicotine in general and especially nicotine in that form, there's also no evidence of what 10 years of inhaling aerosolized vegetable glycerin will do to your lungs.

There is evidence on what aerosolized diacetyl will do to your longs (give you bronchiolitis obliterans) which is why early on when vaping started catching on there was a big uproar about companies using diacetyl as a sweetener in their vape juices. Sadly there's no research yet on what 30 years of vaping will do to your lungs/body because vaping hasn't existed that long yet. It may turn out to be a slow burn and 25 years from now people are gonna start dropping dead of some weird new lung disease.

basic hitler posted:

nicotine is a nearly loving meritless poison that's good for when you can't reach for a loving drink, a pill, or a bat to hit yourself with to chill the gently caress out. That poo poo is the basis of pesticides., and is one. Using it really makes no loving sense

nicotine is actually pretty great in a lot of situations :shrug: Also tabasco sauce, dish soap, and eucalyptus oil are also the basis of pesticides so it's not really a valid argument. A lot of things have 2 completely different uses.

Snow Cone Capone fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Nov 3, 2016

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

ANYWAY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uFbQK91fGnw

This looks like it would smoke extremely poorly

bonus points if you watch til the last 5-10 seconds of the video

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
i got so high last night i hallucinated that the cubs won the world series

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

i got so high last night i forgot it was game 7 of the world series

reallivedinosaur
Jun 13, 2012

Ogdober subrise! XDDD

Jonny 290 posted:

the only thing i cannot do blazed is operate morse code on my ham radio

well i can send fine, but you need a pretty sharp brain to copy what the other dude's sending. i havent been able to do it smogged out yet. and ive been licensed for 25 years and smokin for 20

i would imagine sofware would do this in the year 2016, no? do people actually sit and do it by ear for any reason other than "showing that they can"?

some code to read morse code off an audio stream seems like a first year DSP project maybe I will get high and make one one day

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

reallivedinosaur posted:

i would imagine sofware would do this in the year 2016, no? do people actually sit and do it by ear for any reason other than "showing that they can"?

some code to read morse code off an audio stream seems like a first year DSP project maybe I will get high and make one one day

"because we can" is literally the reason. Keep in mind nobody using a ham radio needs to use morse - it's mostly a relic: http://ham.stackexchange.com/questions/135/why-is-morse-code-still-in-use

I gotta say as nerdy as ham radio is it's pretty awesome to go through the file cabinet full of my dad's old QSL cards and seeing some of the ridiculous contacts he's made (people broadcasting from research vessels, McMurdo Station in Antarctica, a zoologist who literally set up a broadcast rig up a tree in a wildlife reserve in Kenya, etc.)

(not my dad's sadly)

Snow Cone Capone fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Nov 3, 2016

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

do you still have to know morse to get licensed?

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
.-- . . -.. / .. ... / .- -- .- --.. .. -. --.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape

Mozi posted:

.-- . . -.. / .. ... / .- -- .- --.. .. -. --.

Speak English yah commie

psychokitty
Jun 29, 2010

=9.9=
MEOW
BITCHES

i ran out of my sleep aid so i think i might dab and watch netflix all day

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast