Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was your favorite Titan from Titanfall 1?
gundam
megatron
that russian robot from pacific rim
goku
View Results

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Ciaphas posted:

Thanks for the advice, I'll give another try on a more conducive map (and yes I take the extra dash on all Titans)

I mean it's all pointless because Ion is Love, Ion is Life anyway :colbert:

You haven't Scorched until you've double canistered, flame waved, flame cored 3 enemy titans into exploding instantly

It's quite wonderful

Believe it or not, it's actually worth flanking with Scorch on some maps, even if it takes you 10 extra seconds, if you end up behind multiple enemy titans in a tight space while your teammates are in front, they are sooooooooo hosed.

Not worth it on a map like Homestead of course, but pretty hilarious on Complex or whatever that indoor map is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Uhhhhhhhh

http://i.imgur.com/hi9EBFE.gifv

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

victrix posted:

You haven't Scorched until you've double canistered, flame waved, flame cored 3 enemy titans into exploding instantly

It's quite wonderful

Believe it or not, it's actually worth flanking with Scorch on some maps, even if it takes you 10 extra seconds, if you end up behind multiple enemy titans in a tight space while your teammates are in front, they are sooooooooo hosed.

Not worth it on a map like Homestead of course, but pretty hilarious on Complex or whatever that indoor map is.

Yeah I just got out of my last game for the night on that indoor map and took Scorch and loving burned everyone, it was pretty great

Ion's still better though :colbert:

limited
Dec 10, 2005
Limited Sanity

RatHat posted:

Uhhhhhhhh
Well, you do get banners / camo for distance travelled, so, one way to unlock 'em in relative peace I guess!

Anyway, I wish the intro jump had more voice lines at this point. I just want to clothesline that goddamn woman on the way out of the dropship at this point.

'The frontier is worth every part of-' :fuckoff:

limited fucked around with this message at 09:16 on Nov 3, 2016

zolthorg
May 26, 2009

you never have to go afk during like 10 minute matches?

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
I am total poo poo at multiplayer, but still having fun. It would be nice to not be killed by a shotgun now and then. Any tips about killing quicker? I always feel like I'm the slower person in a fight every time.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

In Training posted:

Actually yea! in settings you can turn off tips and other parts of the UI

Holy poo poo, you can disable DoF in there.

Thanks for the tip.

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord
Netcode is only a 20Hz rate server->client. Delay is actually worse than Black Ops 3 which had garbage netcode. At 0 ping delay on gunfire is 88ms.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-DfqxpNrXFw&t=227s

Carecat fucked around with this message at 10:57 on Nov 3, 2016

Orv
May 4, 2011

Mindblast posted:

I've begun using Scorch as my battle chip brobot and have not been disappointed. Of course he can't do poo poo against cloakers but it makes sense to have a hard counter for this sort of thing.

Auto-Scorch is a pilot murderer like no other, it's really nice.

Carecat posted:

Netcode is only a 20Hz rate server->client. Delay is actually worse than Black Ops 3 which had garbage netcode. At 0 ping delay on gunfire is 88ms.

Vindication!

Orv fucked around with this message at 10:57 on Nov 3, 2016

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

Carecat posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-DfqxpNrXFw&t=227s

That explains so much.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Yeah now I feel a little better about dying all the time. Just a little though.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
It's kind of amazing how useless Nuclear Eject is now. The balance of this game feels a bit weird.

Kingtheninja posted:

I am total poo poo at multiplayer, but still having fun. It would be nice to not be killed by a shotgun now and then. Any tips about killing quicker? I always feel like I'm the slower person in a fight every time.

Honestly my biggest tip is pay attention to the radar. Don't shoot unless required to stay off of it and see where there are sound spikes and try to get the drop on dudes. My current favorite loadout is the CAR with Gun Runner and Stim. As soon as I see a dude I pop that and get in his grill going apeshit. Shotguns work well here too.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

The radar is seriously the best tool you have, and if you have the pulse knife you can make it even better. Being able to see the guy first, radar or otherwise, gives you a massive advantage.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Does anyone have a list of how many extra shots Extra Ammo gives for every weapon? It's completely inconsistent (it seems to mostly be 20% rounded up, but then some weapons completely break that) and it's annoying having to go into an actual match to check.

Here's the few I can remember off the top of my head:

ARs
R-201: 24/30
Hemlok: 24/30

LMGs
Devotion: 55/66

Pistols
Mozambique: 4/7

Launchers
EPG: 5/8

Anti-Titan
MGL: 6/8

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Nov 3, 2016

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Lemon-Lime posted:

Does anyone have a list of how many extra shots Extra Ammo gives for every weapon? It's completely inconsistent (it seems to mostly be 20% rounded up, but then some weapons completely break that) and it's annoying having to go into an actual match to check.

Here's the few I can remember off the top of my head:

ARs
R-201: 24/30
Hemlok: 24/30

LMGs
Devotion: 55/66

Pistols
Mozambique: 4/7

Launchers
EPG: 4/8

Anti-Titan
MGL: 6/8

You can equip the mod and then go in the select weapon screen of the loadout to see the magazine size, no need to check in-game :D

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Just finished the campaign. Great game, I love how the IMC has a huge ridiculous factory complex designed just for testing killing robots. Very Portal...

I can't wait to see people speedrun this game. This must be amazing for that sort of thing.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 13:23 on Nov 3, 2016

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Daztek posted:

You can equip the mod and then go in the select weapon screen of the loadout to see the magazine size, no need to check in-game :D

No, the weapon select screen ignores attachments entirely and will always display the base magazine size.

Unrelated but they really should swap Tone and Northstar's primaries around. Tone would be way less broken with half the RoF on tagging rounds, and Pulse Beacon and Particle Wall work well in conjuction with the railgun charge mechanics. The 40mm would work well in conjunction with Tether and Cluster Missile and make Northstar a bit less awkward to use, and no part of Northstar's kit actually relies on the plasma railgun.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Lemon-Lime posted:

No, the weapon select screen ignores attachments entirely and will always display the base magazine size.

Unrelated but they really should swap Tone and Northstar's primaries around. Tone would be way less broken with half the RoF on tagging rounds, and Pulse Beacon and Particle Wall work well in conjuction with the railgun charge mechanics. The 40mm would work well in conjunction with Tether and Cluster Missile and make Northstar a bit less awkward to use, and no part of Northstar's kit actually relies on the plasma railgun.

You're right, I just checked, I swear it did though, guess my brain is broken

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Why can't I put reload on RB in this game, I'd waste 100% fewer grenades if you'd let me do that EA.

zolthorg
May 26, 2009

is there any anti titan weapons worth using other then the mgl

been getting a lot better with tips from this thread thanks all, ion is the best titan

Orv
May 4, 2011
The laser is good, just a little risky.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

I like the Archer, it's fun distracting a titan with constant lock on messages or combining it with amped weapons for some serious damage

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

zolthorg posted:

is there any anti titan weapons worth using other then the mgl

been getting a lot better with tips from this thread thanks all, ion is the best titan

The no-charge laser is practically a mgl with hitscan so go with that.

Prophecy120
Feb 4, 2003

God Bless the Enclave! God Bless America!
I switched from my R-201 setup to a level 1 Alternator and my kill count doubled in the matter of a game or two. That little gun is such a beast, it's almost unfair.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Prophecy120 posted:

I switched from my R-201 setup to a level 1 Alternator and my kill count doubled in the matter of a game or two. That little gun is such a beast, it's almost unfair.

Yup, it's what makes me top the scoreboard in most games. Can't function without it. I tried going back to the R-201, and came almost last. It's such a different playstyle.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Amp weapon -> Mastiff -> Phase shift

Most effective? No. Absolutely hilarious? Yes. Very yes.

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

I like the thunderbolt because its got the ability to attack without being in the line of fire but it also has more range then the MGL. It can also damage multiple titans with its AoE

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Conot posted:

I like the thunderbolt because its got the ability to attack without being in the line of fire but it also has more range then the MGL. It can also damage multiple titans with its AoE

It does do pretty mediocre damage per shot to individual titans, though, and you get way too little ammo for it considering that.

All of the anti-titan weapons have their niche, really. MGL does the most damage but is hampered by its short range, hacked Charge Rifle has good damage and is pinpoint accurate but lights you up like a Christmas tree, non-hacked Charge Rifle loses a lot of DPS but is a lot stealthier, Archer does good single-hit damage and is stealthy but has terrible DPS and relatively few shots (even with fast reload and extra ammo), Thunderbolt does splash but has bad single-target damage and few shots.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
A few scattered thoughts about Titanfall 2 after completing single player and doing a bunch of online matches:
  • Single player loving owned and was never not fun
  • It sucks that we have yet another Titanfall game where giant robots can't stomp on cars, knock over poles, or affect the environment in any way!
  • I don't like the lack of titan customization. Only six loadouts is pretty limiting and I could have sworn there were like 8 or 9 in the single player campaign
  • I was a huge Titanfall 1 apologist but yo I'm real worried about this game when at 9PM on the East Coast US in the first week of release a good half of the multiplayer modes are unplayable. Want to check out Capture the Flag, Last Titan Standing, or Pilots Only? Sorry you bought Titanfall on the PC.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack

Lemon-Lime posted:

It does do pretty mediocre damage per shot to individual titans, though, and you get way too little ammo for it considering that.

All of the anti-titan weapons have their niche, really. MGL does the most damage but is hampered by its short range, hacked Charge Rifle has good damage and is pinpoint accurate but lights you up like a Christmas tree, non-hacked Charge Rifle loses a lot of DPS but is a lot stealthier, Archer does good single-hit damage and is stealthy but has terrible DPS and relatively few shots (even with fast reload and extra ammo), Thunderbolt does splash but has bad single-target damage and few shots.

It's almost like they are balanced. :v:

Also,

zolthorg
May 26, 2009

Considering the absurd amount of cover and how much farther most titans can kill pilots I've never found myself too far from an enemy titan to hit it with the MGL.
If i wanted to sit halfway across the map on a roof and snipe at a titan with a different weapon, i'd basically just instantly die to a pilot sniper

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

This game is very unfun when it repeatedly puts me against the same 6 stack and I get to enjoy 500 to 100 stomps all morning.

runchild
May 26, 2010

420 smoke 🎨artisanal🍑 melange erryday

I am constantly cursing the MGL's short range. It mostly makes up for it by being able to deal damage while staying out of line of sight, but it makes me miss the old Mag Launcher. The range was definitely better and I think (not 100% sure) it had better bounciness AND magnetiness.

Best AT weapon IMO is hacked charge beam with Amped Wall. It is hilarious to throw a never ending series of lasers into a Titan's face while they futilely try to kill you through your impenetrable shield.

Manxome Foe
Apr 6, 2005

Beware the Jabberwock, my son! The jaws that bite, the claws that catch!
I'm having more fun with this game than I can articulate. I'm almost G3 and LOVE this game.

Add HAIL KING BEAR on Xbone because I need more people to play with.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

bear is driving! posted:

I'm having more fun with this game than I can articulate. I'm almost G3 and LOVE this game.

I knew the Titanfall Poster Guy was fronting. You weren't gonna skip this game.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

bear is driving! posted:

I added you, Xbone people should also add KarasuTengu3 so I can play with people who know how to shoot gun.

Prophecy120
Feb 4, 2003

God Bless the Enclave! God Bless America!
Haven't seen this posted yet, but PS4 goons seem to have a network to join.

https://www.titanfall.com/en_us/networks/playstation/12471/

Search for [GOON] Something Awful

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!

bear is driving! posted:

Hey I saw your message last night as I was signing off. We'll robot together soon I promise.

P.s. I'm zombie boat

Manxome Foe
Apr 6, 2005

Beware the Jabberwock, my son! The jaws that bite, the claws that catch!

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

I knew the Titanfall Poster Guy was fronting. You weren't gonna skip this game.

Of course not. As a giant robot aficionado, I must play. The fact that the game is amazing is also nice.

Also looking forward to shootin' robits with you Zombie Boat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IronDoge
Nov 6, 2008

runchild posted:

Best AT weapon IMO is hacked charge beam with Amped Wall. It is hilarious to throw a never ending series of lasers into a Titan's face while they futilely try to kill you through your impenetrable shield.

Never even considering this combo, I'll have to add it to my anti-titan class for when we're outnumbered in titans.