Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

comingafteryouall posted:

You sure you don't mean FF9? Cause FF8 was clearly Ultimecia. FF9 has the god of death come from nowhere after you defeat Kuja.

yeah but i can't remember who the gently caress ultimecia was at the end of ff8. and why she hated SEeD so much.

also lol that god of death was basically the creators saying "yeah lets drag this out a little farther"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde

Chokes McGee posted:

look who doesn't like someone punching you in the face for violating rules that no one told or will ever tell you

wear dragon armor

to be fair I mostly base my opinion of SaGa on Unlimited SaGa, the game where the developers said "You know what our obtuse JRPG series needs to be more like? A bad 1980s board game." and everyone thought that was a good idea.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Augus posted:

Fun fact: 99% of your opinions about FF games are based on stuff you're misremembering from when you were 5 and you're actually wrong about everything.

Much like our opinions on politics.

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN

Great! Thanks for finding it.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Best FF is FF1. Not attacking empty space where someone used to be is for loving scrubs.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.

Agrajag posted:

agreed, i wish they actually went deeper into developing JENOVA it was way more interesting than Shepyloth. It was alos super long ago so my memory of ff7 is vague.

They keep trying to make Sephiroth like sympathetic long past the point where that makes any sense given his actions do not justify sympathy. He'd have been a much better fake villain who dies partway through.

Which actually ties this back in with the election, gently caress showing Trump supporters sympathy because their actions do not justify it.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Instant Sunrise posted:

Hillary's Shepard would be a femshep that's mostly paragon, but she does all the sidequests, gets everyone through the suicide mission alive and gets the best ending.

Trump picks the default John Shepard and does all the renegade options, does no sidequests or loyalty missions, kills everyone in the suicide mission and makes all the worst decisions in 3.

And the game still ends the same way.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

PT6A posted:

Yeah, you obviously missed the part of the game where they did nothing but develop JENOVA.

I call bullshit. I don't remember anything about JENOVA except Shepyloth getting emo about his origins and fawning over the thing that was in some chamber.

Mr. Belding
May 19, 2006
^
|
<- IS LAME-O PHOBE ->
|
V
mcmagic is a good example of how anyone with a heterodox opinion gets dogpiled without anyone meaningfully engaging with their arguments.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Instant Sunrise posted:

Hillary's Shepard would be a femshep that's mostly paragon, but she does all the sidequests, gets everyone through the suicide mission alive and gets the best ending.

Trump picks the default John Shepard and does all the renegade options, does no sidequests or loyalty missions, kills everyone in the suicide mission and makes all the worst decisions in 3.
Trump killed Wrex.

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."
I thought god tier poo poo posting was frowned upon in d&d

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Mr. Belding posted:

mcmagic is a good example of how anyone with a heterodox opinion gets dogpiled without anyone meaningfully engaging with their arguments.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H47ow4_Cmk0

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.
i only had an n64 as a kid and we never had a super nintendo, so i have no real knowledge about final fantasy beyond cultural osmosis.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

RVProfootballer posted:

Those are Nate's own explanations
I know. That's what I said: it's a good summary. A lot of people here do not know or understand it enough and still post about it.

comingafteryouall
Aug 2, 2011

Kit Walker posted:

FFT was the best story and also had some of the best characters. Political intrigue, murdering the aristocracy including your own relatives, being branded a heretic by the Church and then fighting supernatural demons from a myth that the Church has been suppressing because the reality of it was that the Judas-equivalent was actually the good guy? Sign me the gently caress up

This is the truth right here. FFT's world is awesome. Plus, you have child soldier war orphans join your party to get revenge on the man who killed their parents. You have the political revolutionary who succumbs to the promise of power, losing his ideals and ultimately hurting those he cares about most. You have political elites who are literally blood sucking vampires.

FFT is the best.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
USPol talking about Final Fantasy?

FFVIII's redeeming factor was that seifer was a pretty decent villain. Just saying.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Celery Jello posted:

to be fair I mostly base my opinion of SaGa on Unlimited SaGa, the game where the developers said "You know what our obtuse JRPG series needs to be more like? A bad 1980s board game." and everyone thought that was a good idea.

Only things I remember from the first PlayStation SaGa game was how wildly imbalanced it was when you started and walking in on some NPC loving a slime and being indignant I interrupted.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?

Agrajag posted:

I call bullshit. I don't remember anything

You're almost there

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Radish posted:

poo poo I can't remember either. I can recall Selphie trying to make Booyaka a social media meme but not the end villain...

Tactics Ogre is also better than FFT (but FFT is still very good).

Ogre Battle 64 is the best of the Tactics Ogre series.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I will hunt you down like the animal you are

He's right, though.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Final Fantasy VI you loving pleb :colbert:

Je suis ne ce pas unne empty quote.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Who What Now posted:

It's the only one I haven't played. :negative:

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Mr. Belding posted:

Post your materia map, you crystal loving moron.

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde

seiferguy posted:

FFVIII's redeeming factor was that seifer was a pretty decent villain. Just saying.

Seifer was a bad carbon copy of Pokey from EarthBound.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Florida still has 4 more days left for early voting counting today. Sunday is also Souls to the Polls.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

This is the truth right here. FFT's world is awesome. Plus, you have child soldier war orphans join your party to get revenge on the man who killed their parents. You have the political revolutionary who succumbs to the promise of power, losing his ideals and ultimately hurting those he cares about most. You have political elites who are literally blood sucking vampires.

FFT is the best.

Tidus, a loving cali surfer bro who play volleyball. Case closed.

comingafteryouall
Aug 2, 2011

FizFashizzle posted:

yeah but i can't remember who the gently caress ultimecia was at the end of ff8. and why she hated SEeD so much.

also lol that god of death was basically the creators saying "yeah lets drag this out a little farther"

Ultimecia is like a time traveling witch that wants to destroy all of time for reasons? Or maybe she wanted to fold all time into the future so she could rule over everything? Has about the same amount of motivation as most final FF bosses IMO.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

FFT is the best.

Oh yeah, and the best part? You start as a squire and never officially get knighted. You can pretend to be a knight but at the core of it you're really nothing more than a glorified squire who can throw rocks and yell at your crew to move faster taking down mythological demons and two clashing armies simultaneously

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

seiferguy posted:

Seifer would be an alt-right fuckboi on Twitter nowadays.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

Mr. Belding posted:

No. The thread spent the first several months attempting to engage him, learned it was pointless, and now doesn't care

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

seiferguy posted:

Of course you would say that. :rolleyes:

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Agrajag posted:

I call bullshit. I don't remember anything about JENOVA except Shepyloth getting emo about his origins and fawning over the thing that was in some chamber.

Really? You don't remember the Reunion, and the fact that the real Sephiroth was a legless piece of poo poo at the centre of the earth and it turns out JENOVA was the villain you'd been fighting all along?

Check out the LP.

ABen
Jul 11, 2008

Look - we need to have a stiff upper lip about this Black Death business.

Talmonis posted:

The clear best Final Fantasy games are IV, VI, IX and Tactics, in no particular order. :colbert:

This is a good post.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.
Hot Take: Final Fantasy is an overrated franchise.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Cingulate posted:

I know. That's what I said: it's a good summary. A lot of people here do not know or understand it enough and still post about it.

Sorry, my point was there are probably other factors that are important but either not easy to explain in a short article or potentially unflattering to 538's method that Nate did not bring up. I do agree that the correlation between states is probably the biggest deal, but the weighting and adjustment of polls by 538 is another big deal that Nate didn't touch on.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Kit Walker posted:

Oh yeah, and the best part? You start as a squire and never officially get knighted. You can pretend to be a knight but at the core of it you're really nothing more than a glorified squire who can throw rocks and yell at your crew to move faster taking down mythological demons and two clashing armies simultaneously

much like Cloud Strife pretending to be a SOLDIER when he's actually a nerd.
it all fits together

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Augus posted:

Fun fact: 99% of your opinions about FF games are based on stuff you're misremembering from when you were 5 and you're actually wrong about everything.

I played zero ff games before age 20.

I honestly think I would have enjoyed 7 if I'd played it when it came out and I was in, uh, middle school I think, but by the time I got to it the crappy, hamfisted writing was intolerable and cloud was an unlikable angstbucket.

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

This.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Who What Now posted:

He's right, though.

Snes Ogre Battle was the best. Because the game punished you for winning.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I will hunt you down like the animal you are

He's right though.

Edit: I did really enjoy the Zero series.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Truth. Phantasy Star all the way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Yeah, I got that part, and that's fine. But it didn't really address the accusations that Hillary was unfair to her by simply being a defense attorney and vigorously defending her client within the boundaries of the law (at that time). And I still have no idea why this is news on 11/3.

Maybe I'm just flipping out.

• Locked thread