Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.
Got mine too today, it's a very nice laptop! Does anyone use their 15" in 1920x1200 scaling mode? I'm tempted to because it gives you so much space but then I'm afraid it's sometimes too small to click the right buttons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

eames posted:

Apple apparently didn't manage to work around the (known and documented) USB 3 <-> 802.11 2.4 Ghz interference issues in the new MBP. :psyduck:
That's really embarrassing.
Any chance this'll be fixed any time soon? I assume it can't be done with software?

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.

Mordiceius posted:

Finally I can stop making GBS threads up this thread with my stupidity.

Not me!

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Honj Steak posted:

Got mine too today, it's a very nice laptop! Does anyone use their 15" in 1920x1200 scaling mode? I'm tempted to because it gives you so much space but then I'm afraid it's sometimes too small to click the right buttons.

Plenty of people do. I use 1680x1050 personally. And a few psychos claim to use the full 2880x1800

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

OWC announced a Thunderbolt 3 dock

https://eshop.macsales.com/preorder/owc-thunderbolt-3-dock/?utm_source=affiliate&utm_campaign=cj

13 ports, $279, taking pre orders and shipping in Feb 17

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

I like using scaling but there is definitely a little bit of input lag even on my million dollar dgpu 15 inch

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy

Honj Steak posted:

I remote into my home computer at 1920x1200 on my 13", I use RDM and change res all the time

pzy
Feb 20, 2004

Da Boom!

Bob Morales posted:

https://eshop.macsales.com/preorder/owc-thunderbolt-3-dock/?utm_source=affiliate&utm_campaign=cj

Pretty much exactly what I was hoping for... but February? Augh!

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Thank you. :)

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Bob Morales posted:

If they follow their usual form, users will find some fatal flaw in the first revision of the product, like attaching more than 3 devices in total causes the unit to emit gamma radiation at 50 Sieverts, after which they will delete the unit from their website and act as if nothing ever happened, then a month later offer a totally new version that only gives off 10 Sieverts and costs the same.

1 Sievert is considered lethal

xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code

eames posted:

Apple apparently didn't manage to work around the (known and documented) USB 3 <-> 802.11 2.4 Ghz interference issues in the new MBP. :psyduck:

God drat.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS

Binary Badger posted:

If they follow their usual form, users will find some fatal flaw in the first revision of the product, like attaching more than 3 devices in total causes the unit to emit gamma radiation at 50 Sieverts, after which they will delete the unit from their website and act as if nothing ever happened, then a month later offer a totally new version that only gives off 10 Sieverts and costs the same.

1 Sievert is considered lethal

What happened with the first version? I think I bought that one…

eames
May 9, 2009

Cingulate posted:

That's really embarrassing.
Any chance this'll be fixed any time soon? I assume it can't be done with software?

Pure hardware/design issue. They moved the antenna from the screen to the base near the hinge due to space constraints (thinner display, thinner bezel). They also went from a 3x3 spatial streams in the old machines to down to 2x2 spatial streams in the new ones.

Possible work arounds: Wrap your USB 3.0 device/cable/connector in tinfoil or use a TB3 <-> USB3.0 hub or move closer to your router or just don't rely on high bandwidth via WiFi while USB3.0 devices are attached.

Replace "Wireless Mouse Dongle" with "Built-in WiFi Antenna" and you get the idea.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Apple :argh:

Tinfoil: this is a secret plan to get everyone to full wireless earlier.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

In case anyone is reading this thread and doesn't know stuff, Sieverts measure IONIZING radiation... like x-rays... Not normal EM radiation like radio waves that you all absorb a shitload of... None of this poo poo will kill you, except maybe your wallet.

Or, maybe, I dunno the battery explodes, but ask Samsung about that.

krooj
Dec 2, 2006
So is this wifi issue only to do with USB 3.0 devices that have lovely shielding?

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Mordiceius posted:

Well, I got a MBP. Found one on Craigslist, and talking to the guy found out he goes to the same grad school as my wife (which is loving crazy because it's a tiny school in the SF Bay Area) and works on Macs on the side.

Finally I can stop making GBS threads up this thread with my stupidity.

You've been one of the best / most on topic posters in recent times and your questions were not stupid, please ask more,.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

eames posted:

Pure hardware/design issue. They moved the antenna from the screen to the base near the hinge due to space constraints (thinner display, thinner bezel).

The only "move" is what part of the computer the antenna is bolted to. It's still in the same place in relation to the ports. The reason all Apple's previous unibody aluminum designs had a plastic housing on the hinge part of the display is because that's where the antennas went, not up high in the display bezel like you seem to think. The last time they had antennas in the bezel was probably back when the displays had plastic housings.

Will you please stop trying to poo poo up this thread with these hyperbolic posts? You're trying to make this into a giant issue before you even know if it is more than one youtube techbro, and seemingly you'll believe and push just about any APPLE-BAD!!!! angle no matter how ludicrous (no, they're not going to force developers to use ipad pros, you dumb motherfucker).

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

what the gently caress is a tech bro

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Bob Morales posted:

If it's anything like the last one, it will be an epic piece of poo poo.

At this time, none of the many Thunderbolt 3 docks work for poo poo, according to me desperately wanting one and giving up.

edit: oh yeah, OWC's RMA process is a complete nightmare.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.

Bob Morales posted:

Prolly the dude who owns Razr.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

The McAfee who killed someone

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

Bob Morales posted:

a nerd with visible muscle tone

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic
e: rewatched the video and my observation was wrong, disregard!

Bob Morales posted:

Come spend a weekend in SF and you'll quickly learn what a tech bro is

https://justink.svbtle.com/open-letter-to-mayor-ed-lee-and-greg-suhr-police-chief

The guy making the video isn't exactly a tech bro from my experience, but I can see the comparison.

mitztronic fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Nov 3, 2016

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

BobHoward posted:

youtube techbro,

What else besides his muscles do you find so offensive

krooj
Dec 2, 2006

AlternateAccount posted:

If it's anything like the last one, it will be an epic piece of poo poo.

At this time, none of the many Thunderbolt 3 docks work for poo poo, according to me desperately wanting one and giving up.

edit: oh yeah, OWC's RMA process is a complete nightmare.

So, I just ordered one of these and am planning on using it with the 13" MBP I ordered. What's the deal with it?

Since this thread is all about nobody replying to anything - Louis isn't a tech bro at all. The guy might be borderline unstable, but I think he's just a New Yorker. The man knows his poo poo and does not give a gently caress.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

mitztronic posted:

https://justink.svbtle.com/open-letter-to-mayor-ed-lee-and-greg-suhr-police-chief

The guy making the video isn't exactly a tech bro from my experience, but I can see the comparison.

This guy clearly has never been to Detroit.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008

mitztronic posted:

Your link does nothing to illuminate what you think a tech bro is unless tech bros are basically just classist jerks.

SaturdayKnight
Mar 31, 2011

What is the probable usability gap between the retina MacBook and the new MacBook Pro? Both are running pretty low power CPUs but for my needs, I don't really know if it's worth it to go up to the Pro since the portability of the rMB is really attractive. I've almost never wished my 2013 Pro had more power, but I have certainly many times wished it was lighter.

Gonna miss the physical HDMI port though. :(

krooj
Dec 2, 2006

SaturdayKnight posted:

What is the probable usability gap between the retina MacBook and the new MacBook Pro? Both are running pretty low power CPUs but for my needs, I don't really know if it's worth it to go up to the Pro since the portability of the rMB is really attractive. I've almost never wished my 2013 Pro had more power, but I have certainly many times wished it was lighter.

Gonna miss the physical HDMI port though. :(

The 13" is probably much faster than the rMB in real world use. Remember that the rMB uses passive cooling, so while cold geekbench scores might look good on paper, the reality is that you're almost always gonna throttle on that fucker. I use one for daily coding in IntelliJ and it's borderline unusable. Running integration tests is awful.

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic

rear end Catchcum posted:

Your link does nothing to illuminate what you think a tech bro is unless tech bros are basically just classist jerks.

Sorry, I live here (in SF), that article is the pinnacle of tech bro. Privilege pouring out of every hole of his body, complains about "lesser" people, working at a startup, etc etc

Here's more on the letter and author to explain why he's a tech bro and why the letter pissed so many people off. I guess it might not obvious to an outsider what makes that letter so terrible on more than a "class" level.

mitztronic fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Nov 4, 2016

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I think those are just (many) wealthy people (in general) but I'm sure living there you see patterns.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

krooj posted:

So, I just ordered one of these and am planning on using it with the 13" MBP I ordered. What's the deal with it?

Since this thread is all about nobody replying to anything - Louis isn't a tech bro at all. The guy might be borderline unstable, but I think he's just a New Yorker. The man knows his poo poo and does not give a gently caress.

krooj posted:

Doesn't stay connected. Constantly dropping devices.

SaturdayKnight
Mar 31, 2011

krooj posted:

The 13" is probably much faster than the rMB in real world use. Remember that the rMB uses passive cooling, so while cold geekbench scores might look good on paper, the reality is that you're almost always gonna throttle on that fucker. I use one for daily coding in IntelliJ and it's borderline unusable. Running integration tests is awful.

Good point, I totally forgot about the throttling. Regardless, I'd rather wait until that single USB-C became a single thunderbolt 3 so I wouldn't be getting this generation anyway. The Pro Air is probably the way to go. It did get a bit more portable so might as well.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

BobHoward posted:

The only "move" is what part of the computer the antenna is bolted to. It's still in the same place in relation to the ports. The reason all Apple's previous unibody aluminum designs had a plastic housing on the hinge part of the display is because that's where the antennas went, not up high in the display bezel like you seem to think. The last time they had antennas in the bezel was probably back when the displays had plastic housings.

Will you please stop trying to poo poo up this thread with these hyperbolic posts? You're trying to make this into a giant issue before you even know if it is more than one youtube techbro, and seemingly you'll believe and push just about any APPLE-BAD!!!! angle no matter how ludicrous (no, they're not going to force developers to use ipad pros, you dumb motherfucker).

Yeah, I'm leaning toward bullshit myself. I use a samsung T3 all the time, and have no impact on either the drive data speed or my 802.11ac WLAN with the rMBP (2015 15"). For the last 5 years specifically, part of what I do at my work is security related to Layers 1-3 for wireless networking. I use my rMBP a *ton* with that stuff and a lot my tools live on VMs on the T3 drive. If there were issues, you'd think I'd see a marked increase in duty cycles across the 5GHz bands I'm using for my network. But I don't (and I actively track that stuff for some of the things I do). That aside, even disregarding the RF interference I should definitely be seeing (that I don't actually see), I should be seeing a *ton* of excessive CTS/RTS at Layer2. Which I'm not.

Until I see more reports and/or actually experience myself, I'm gonna file this under "keep an eye on it, but it's probably nothing"

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I'm pretty sure that Youtube guy has an axe to grind about Apple since he claimed they were planning on suing him for teaching people how to repair Macs. Then of course there was no lawsuit at all.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

Mu Zeta posted:

I'm pretty sure that Youtube guy has an axe to grind about Apple since he claimed they were planning on suing him for teaching people how to repair Macs. Then of course there was no lawsuit at all.

his whole persona is that he's not a bullshitter (whether you believe that or not is fine). that's how he gets views and his business.
he demoed it live. never cut away and never hid the macbook where there could be some manipulation going on.
during the demo he switches to a hard drive that he says was causing the same problem. except when he did it on air the wifi actually worked, albeit it loaded the website a bit slower from the first demo. if it was an axe-to-grind segment that usb-c hard drive would have broken the wifi first try.
he then switches to a dell xps 15(?) and it gets no lag at all.

the last part i watched was him trying to connect to an external monitor via usb-c and getting flashes on the ext monitor and mouse lag.

yes. it could just be his macbook pro that he bought, maybe he totally set this all up. those are definite possibilities. but watching that video it seems pretty convincing.

also he demoed the keyboard on the new macbook pro which he says are louder than the older macbook pros and the dell he had. not sure if he purposely hit harder. i don't recall them being that loud.

here is the link and you can judge for yourself. keep in mind i only watched the first 25 minutes or so and maybe the last hour contains really dumb poo poo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NYVjIjBMx6o

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

New MacBook Pros Not Compatible With Some Early Thunderbolt 3 Devices

Fuckin lmao

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I'm going to wait for another refresh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I need a new computer :(

I'll get one and swap it in somewhere when the new ones are out, thoughts?