Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

greatn posted:

I wonder if in some polls people who already voted just aren't responding anymore, or answer the question "Will you be voting in the Nov 8 election" with the technically correct "No"

The polls that aren't loving dumb account for people who voted early.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Pakled posted:

The polls that aren't loving dumb account for people who voted early.

Funny, Nate doesn't

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

greatn posted:

Funny, Nate doesn't

538 isn't a poll, and anyone who intimates such should probably be banned by now

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

greatn posted:

I wonder if in some polls people who already voted just aren't responding anymore, or answer the question "Will you be voting in the Nov 8 election" with the technically correct "No"

Theoretically, this shouldn't happen because good pollsters would ask if the person has already voted and automatically place them in the LV category if so. Then again, no one said we're dealing exclusively with good pollsters. :v:

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...

comingafteryouall posted:

If anyone hasn't listened to that Obama speech posted earlier, do it. It is amazing. He roasts the poo poo out of Marco Rubio, the Republican Congress, and even goes after the media a little.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wVkgCkw6rq8&t=2576s

This really is fantastic. How difficult is it to get into these rallies, generally? Obama is doing one up in NH on the 7th and I'm toying with going to it.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.
Y'all really don't understand how Nate's model works.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Mind_Taker posted:

It's a god drat scam. I mean, here is the text on the ballot:

But in reality, as you said, it's a ploy by big power companies to try to block solar power and solar companies despise the proposed amendment and power companies have poured millions of dollars into getting this poo poo passed.

I take it that second part bans any kind of solar incentive/rebate program? Sneaky.

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose
This election forecast has been stabler than previous elections.

Hillary has been in the lead for this entire race, except maybe for a few days after the Republican primary and the media called her the comeback kid. The only thing up in the air is how much she will win by, and if she will have Democrat controlled Senate.

Hillary Clinton's favorability rating is garbage because it is campaign season. America is more partisan than ever, so it is not surprising that half the country hates her, since that half lean Republican. The Republican hate machine changed gears from Obama to Hillary. Obama has better favorability rating now because no one is dragging him down.

Hillary is obviously someone who loves sea otters and will take sensible steps to ensuring the sea otter population continues to recover, such as protecting marine sanctuaries. Trump will kill sea otters because their fur coats a bigly business in Russia.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Miss calling the primaries real bad, try to drive up traffic to your failing site with higher-volatility models, be out of a job in January 2017?

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Mozi posted:

You can drive without a seatbelt in NH but I need to get my car inspected yearly in VT to keep it on the road. Just one example of many.

wait there's places where you don't get your car inspected yearly?

what madness is this

Feral Integral
Jun 6, 2006

YOSPOS

theflyingorc posted:

https://twitter.com/PpollingNumbers/status/794216772459229184

Clinton doing better with Hispanics than Obama (but seriously, the 19% of Hispanics voting for Trump are the dumbest people on the planet)

This is good for Nevada and Florida.

I'm guessing this is because of south-american on south-american racism? Like they think trump is only talking about mexicans and not all south americans. Like I don't know too many Latinos and am not Latino myself, but my Venezuelan friend is always like "man, spanish people be racist as hell, you don't even know".

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Ze Pollack posted:

Miss calling the primaries real bad, try to drive up traffic to your failing site with higher-volatility models, be out of a job in January 2017?

When your post reads like a DJT 3am special, you should reconsider this and all other posts

RecoomesSexyRear
Jul 18, 2003

Instant Sunrise posted:

Missouri goons, Trump is leading the presidential race on 538, but Jason Kander is projected to win by a hairsbreadth, what would the thought process be of somebody voting for Trump and Kander on the same ballot?

Missouri loves the outsider narrative and Jason Kander is the outsider, was in the military, had that commercial of him rebuilding the ar-15 blindfolded, and he is also against right to work.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Ze Pollack posted:

That's not what happened at all

Wrenever
Jul 22, 2007

Mr. Belding posted:

That is not the argument that I'm making. What I am saying is that if a weak candidate should lose to a strong candidate by a large margin and Donald Trump does not lose to HRC by a large margin, then either he is not a weak candidate or she is not a strong candidate. I believe he is a weak candidate therefore I am likely to believe that another Democrat would have been better. You would still be welcome to believe that they are both strong candidates or that they are both weak, but there is not another democrat who is stronger out there. You could not reasonably believe that he's a weak candidate and she is a strong candidate, if you accept that a weak candidate should lose to a strong one by a large margin (which is basically the only way those words are meaningful).

I hope that's clear. If it's not I can't help you.

Thanks, this is a well articulated argument that clears up some of the muddier thoughts i've had about the candidates and my attempts to achieve a more objective (or at least somewhat distanced) view of the current election.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Ze Pollack posted:

99 of 100 states is real bad, better not pay him for his work

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Here's a good article on Vermont's hippie communes: http://vermonthistory.org/research/research-resources-online/green-mountain-chronicles/back-to-the-land-communes-in-vermont-1968

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Gone Baptizin posted:

Missouri loves the outsider narrative and Jason Kander is the outsider, was in the military, had that commercial of him rebuilding the ar-15 blindfolded, and he is also against right to work.

forreal that ad owned and he should win on the strength of that alone

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

WeAreTheRomans posted:

When your post reads like a DJT 3am special, you should reconsider this and all other posts

Not a word a lie, though.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Ze Pollack posted:

You're just missing a "Sad!"

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Ah, the Trump gambit.

comingafteryouall
Aug 2, 2011

Alec Bald Snatch posted:

what madness is this

Down in TN you never have to get it expected. When I moved to a sane state, it was quite shocking that you had to get an inspection. I thought it was only emissions inspections in some super blue states.

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN

Ze Pollack posted:

February 2017: Harry Enten's 538.

More seriously though, given ESPN's dire financial situation it wouldn't be surprising if 538 gets canned after the election regardless of how accurately they predict the election.

Feral Integral
Jun 6, 2006

YOSPOS

Alec Bald Snatch posted:

what madness is this

I lived in Maryland for a little while and only time I ever got my cars inspected was when I first bought it and had to get it registered. On the eastern side of Maryland (and probably southern MD) you don't even need to get emissions tested

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

hcreight posted:

This really is fantastic. How difficult is it to get into these rallies, generally? Obama is doing one up in NH on the 7th and I'm toying with going to it.

Go! The man is amazing live.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
So Donny and Super Allah are having dueling rallies in town today. Donny is holding his at the edge of town, closer to the county line than the nearest Early Voting location. At the Jacksonville Equestrian Center.

Obama is holding his rally at the University of North Florida. Right off where several of the major roads for the city intersect.

It takes ~15 minutes to get to the nearest Early Voting location from the Equestrian Center. There are 3 - 5 Early Voting locations you could already be in line at or already have voted at from UNF, depending on whether or not you follow the speed limit or the flow of traffic.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Mel Mudkiper posted:

That's not what happened at all

You don't understand, his model predicted Trump had a 14% chance to win the primary, which was the highest of any candidate, therefore he was a lock to win and Nate was dumb for doubting him.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

I do, and still have problems with it, and I resent being lumped in with idiots who think Nate is a pollster.

E: OH GODDAMMIT

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer
Given all the shots of trump rallies with lily white assholes holding "blacks for Trump" and "Hispanics for Trump" signs I wonder if there's a contingent of white trump voters misrepresenting their ethnicity in phone polling.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Alec Bald Snatch posted:

what madness is this

In most places in the US, this is viewed as "big government! :argh:"

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Cup Runneth Over posted:

The Solyndra gambit.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Seriously, whoever keeps giving Lowtax :10bux: - I am not worth it.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

WampaLord posted:

I do, and still have problems with it, and I resent being lumped in with idiots who think Nate is a pollster.

Hey if you want I'll pass you a tenner so you can soak the idiot doing that for twenty.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

WampaLord posted:

:laffo: somebody is a big old rear end in a top hat aren't they? :allears:

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Bushiz posted:

Given all the shots of trump rallies with lily white assholes holding "blacks for Trump" and "Hispanics for Trump" signs I wonder if there's a contingent of white trump voters misrepresenting their ethnicity in phone polling.

They are just holding the signs for their friends who went to the bathroom, honest

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Not as taciturn, but still terribly powerful...

DaveWoo posted:

CNN decided to respond to the "post the map" challenge, I guess:

All of those look incredibly unlikely, but whatevs

1. LOL
2. Lol gently caress no
3. The mildest of possible Arzying
4. Haha nope
5. ROFL
6. lol

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Pakled posted:

In most places in the US, this is viewed as "big government! :argh:"

For real though, yearly seems like an excessive money grab. Every 3 years at most seems sufficient.

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Gyges posted:

Obama is holding his rally at the University of North Florida. Right off where several of the major roads for the city intersect.

And at the FIU rally, BHO literally told the crowd where the voting location was, name and address, and told them to go right after. Stuff like this matters, one-tenth of one percent at a time.

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

Soothing Vapors posted:

We already asked him this a few pages ago and his answer was "Kirsten Gillibrand," so lol

Apropos of nothing, who is that in your avatar?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Ze Pollack posted:

:lol: This isn't even remotely accurate.

He did fairly well with the Dem primaries (and his model actually did fairly well with Republican primaries, he personally refused to acknowledge Trump was winning.)
His site isn't failing (Disney has put even more resources into it.)
His model has not changed a whole lot since 2008.

There are academic criticism of his model that are "valid," but most of the people here do not understand how to make them.

Basically if you wanted to actually say that there's something "wrong" you'd need to dig into how it re-acts to polls and at an even more sophisticated level how it's weighting polls and accounting for "additional" things like uncertainty.

Ultimately he's just make a prediction based on information being given to him.

• Locked thread