Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

ijyt posted:

Dang, it takes a special kind of dick to do that. Plus if anyone tries that "but you can't see through solid walls :smug:" then I guess "you can't disembark either :colbert:" is the answer.

e: I don't trust myself to not gently caress up a paint job with the whole paint before assembly thing, especially for infantry, and I prime black anyway. From what you guys have said it sounds like more hassle than it's worth for a part of the model you won't see anyway.

Unless everything you paint is getting entered into a contest where it'll be under intense scrutiny.

They are open top. You would disembark from any point on the model. If the doors count as part of the model then yes, you would have a huge disembark footprint. The bigger issue is move blocking since they take up so much space you could block off large parts of the board with open pods.

re: painting: prime on sprue, then paint. No one cares about the interiors/undersides of models.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Proletariat Beowulf posted:

Sticky Tack doesn't stick well to wine corks that I've collected from my drunk family onto model bases--I guess pin it with paper clips is what some of y'all were saying? I'll give it a try on my next infantry paint-fest.
I superglued some sticky tack to the corks I use. Even when you pull off the big glob, a thin layer is still stuck to the cork to give it something to "grab".

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Proletariat Beowulf posted:

'Bout to eBay the poo poo out of some nitrile gloves. Also a little helper magnifying light, perhaps. Sticky Tack doesn't stick well to wine corks that I've collected from my drunk family onto model bases--I guess pin it with paper clips is what some of y'all were saying? I'll give it a try on my next infantry paint-fest.

Yeah I swear by magnifying lights myself. If you're painting without either a strong lamp or a magnifying glass then you're really missing out.

JesusIsTehCool
Aug 26, 2002
I really like my two ottlights I have. Got one from my grandmother who used to use it for needle point but didn't want it anymore and it made such a difference I got a second one so that I could put one on either side of what I was painting. I have astigmatism and am pretty light sensitive though so results may differ with people who don't have defective eyes.

Nichol
May 18, 2004

Sly Dog

Uroboros posted:

I partial assemble. Some things like drop pod doors are built so precisely that paint adds enough thickness to certain areas of the model to make them not close properly.
thin your paints

Seriously though, with a drop pod, assemble without gluing all the vertical struts in, prime, paint, then glue together. I can't imagine trying to paint the interior assembled!!

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Nichol posted:

Seriously though, with a drop pod, assemble without gluing all the vertical struts in, prime, paint, then glue together. I can't imagine trying to paint the interior assembled!!

Lol. I was trying to think earlier about how hard it would be to paint a Rhino's interior if it was fully assembled. Be like trying to assemble a ship in a bottle at that point.

Not that people see the interior very often for a Rhino. Drop-pod is a bigger deal. (Honestly impressed GW even cared to detail the rhino's interior)

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
If you're painting pieces separately, mount them on something so you're not holding them by the paint. Here's the techpriest I'm working on, with his separate backpack:

I stuck a paperclip in the cork, bent it, and glued the very tip of it into the well at the back of the backpack. The area that's in will be completely covered once I glue it together, at which point I'll scrape the paint off the nubs on the back of the techpriest and it'll glue flush. I find painting in assemblies is usually more of a pain in the rear end than is required, but I did it on my retro Ultras so I wouldn't be slopping bright red all over them. For them I got a cavalry base and had four pegs sticking out that I'd glue to bolters then snap the bolters off when they were done.

Zaphod42 posted:

Lol. I was trying to think earlier about how hard it would be to paint a Rhino's interior if it was fully assembled. Be like trying to assemble a ship in a bottle at that point.
I tried this when I was a teenager. The results were as good as you'd expect.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Yeah I tend to paint things in pieces as well. I just need to be better at making mounting pieces for the arms and such, using blue-tac on the end of an old brush works even if it slides around a bit too much at times.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?

Nichol posted:

thin your paints

I primed the doors and painted them before I even locked them into place and painted the base pieces separate, all very thinned. Was still enough to interfere with door closure.

nilstryfe
Dec 22, 2004
Hong Kong Cavalier

How do I put him on this bike? Will a heat gun work? What about boiling water?I tried direct flame (my lighter) on a sacrificial Black Shield cape; it did not work. I want him to go on this bike and his cape to look cool either flapping out the back or draped nicely on the chassis.

Don't worry that he doesn't have any free hands to ride that's not your concern he is a Dark Angel they are full of secrets.

Bombogenesis
Mar 27, 2010

Mekkatorque 2016
Dinosaur Gum
Okay, the new Regimental Standard post has some actual funny bits at the end. GW nabbed a pretty solid social media team, and I think Perkins may join Carl oand Steve for "Guy who somehow always fucks up." in my group

Texmo
Jun 12, 2002

'Time fer a waaagh from above!

nilstryfe posted:

How do I put him on this bike? Will a heat gun work? What about boiling water?I tried direct flame (my lighter) on a sacrificial Black Shield cape; it did not work. I want him to go on this bike and his cape to look cool either flapping out the back or draped nicely on the chassis.

Don't worry that he doesn't have any free hands to ride that's not your concern he is a Dark Angel they are full of secrets.

you'd probably going to have better luck cutting the cape off and then connecting it to the upper body with green stuff than bending something that thick

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Yeah Texmo has the right approach, don't try to melt the plastic. Cut the cape so it fits on loosely, then plug the body with greenstuff, plop him on top, and let it cure.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Plastic will warp under a heat gun. User beware.

JesusIsTehCool
Aug 26, 2002
So I have been working on a table for my friend. The idea for the table was a dried river bed that had been turned into a military outpost of some kind. My friend wanted the option to have it be a 8x4 for larger games.

I started with some rescued 4 inch thick foam that someone had been holding onto for years and let me have, sadly none of us had a pick up truck and I was forced to cut it into fourths.

I drew the basic shapes of the river bed and made sure they all lined up on the edges. I then cut out the foam with a jigsaw. I also ruffed up the edges of the river bed by running the edge of a hand saw across it.

Then I glued sand down.

After letting the glue dry in the sun for a while I painted everything brown

Once it was mostly dried I covered the edges in black duck tape to keep the edges of the table from chipping.

Then I dry brushed the sand and river bed edges with a lighter brown.

You can see the wooden bridge I built while the paint was drying.

Tomorrow I am going to build some rock formations that will have some reds and oranges in them, but my friend wanted to be able to stack the boards for storage so they need to be removable pieces. Friday I am going to add some wooden walk ways along some of the river bed edge. They will be high enough so a space marine sized unit can stand on it and have their head poking over the edge kind of like a trench, they will connect to the "island" so there will be another bridge across the river and there will be some ramps down to the river bed level to. I will post some more picture on Saturday hopefully after we play our first game on it!

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED
Nice work, looking good!

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

My buddy say me checking out one of the genestealer cult boxes the other day and convinced me to halfsies on a Deathwatch: Overkill box. According to him the genestealers in the DW box don't have as many options as just buying the various boxes separately. I apologize if this has been asked somewhere up-thread but is there any site or blog post I could be pointed at that discusses the differences in what you get from the DW box compared to buying the individual unit boxes?

Also, are the Deatwatch box genestealers snap together or are they normal GW style minis?

8one6 fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Nov 3, 2016

Texmo
Jun 12, 2002

'Time fer a waaagh from above!

8one6 posted:

My buddy say me checking out one of the genestealer cult boxes the other day and convinced me to halfsies on a Deathwatch: Overkill box. According to him the genestealers in the DW box don't have as many options as just buying the various boxes separately. I apologize if this has been asked somewhere up-thread but is there any site or blog post I could be pointed at that discusses the differences in what you get from the DW box compared to buying the individual unit boxes?

Also, are the Deatwatch box genestealers snap together or are they normal GW style minis?

The Cultists and Deathwatch from Overkill are all monopose snap-fits, not multi-part kits like most. Take a look at the Overkill promotional pictures on the GW website - those are exactly the figures you get, poses and all.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!

Texmo posted:

The Cultists and Deathwatch from Overkill are all monopose snap-fits, not multi-part kits like most. Take a look at the Overkill promotional pictures on the GW website - those are exactly the figures you get, poses and all.

They are however excellent sculpts, and it gives you two units of troops and all the command options. It also gives you a unit of Aberrants (which suck) and a couple of Purestrain Genestealers (get more).

Thundercloud fucked around with this message at 08:56 on Nov 3, 2016

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
With all the eagles and iron crosses, from an outside perspective Black Templars look a little nazi-ish, don't they?

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Guy Goodbody posted:

With all the eagles and iron crosses, from an outside perspective Black Templars look a little nazi-ish, don't they?
No?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Knights_Templar

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Guy Goodbody posted:

Black Templars are 100% Teutonic Knights, not at all Nazi. Its just Nazis took things that were already around, not all Iron Crosses are Nazi inventions; they just came along and slapped swastikas on top.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teutonic_Order

quote:

The order was formed to aid Christians on their pilgrimages to the Holy Land and to establish hospitals. Its members have commonly been known as the Teutonic Knights, having a small voluntary and mercenary military membership, serving as a crusading military order for protection of Christians in the Holy Land and the Baltics during the Middle Ages.

They.... are Germanic though? :v: You see the Iron Cross on Germanic knights dating back to the 1200s, all the way up through WW1, long before Nazis took power.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Nov 3, 2016

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I use WW1 iron cross decals on my Epic Black Templars, but the connection isn't really Nazi as much as Germanic and religious.

In the Russian film Alexander Nevsky, the Templars invading Rus are basically stand-ins for the then present-day Nazi army. It's an effective historical comparison, complimented by some genius costuming.

While Nazis themselves embrace the trappings of Germany's past, there's really nothing indicating that GW is tapping into Nazi imagery for the Black Templars - it's a case where they both went to the same well for inspiration. I'd actually applaud GW's portrayal, since IIRC the Black Templars were the first desegregated studio chapter I'd seen painted. (I'd love to ask if that was intentionally to offset, subvert, or distinguish their work from what could be otherwise racist symbolism.)

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Yeah, the Nazi connotations got a lot stronger in the Americas thanks to a lot of racist biker gangs in the 60s and 70s adopting it as their symbol since they couldn't just wave around the swastika. But over time it entered the regular biker culture to the point where it's better known for the outlaw biker attitude than white supremacy.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

moths posted:

I use WW1 iron cross decals on my Epic Black Templars, but the connection isn't really Nazi as much as Germanic and religious.

In the Russian film Alexander Nevsky, the Templars invading Rus are basically stand-ins for the then present-day Nazi army. It's an effective historical comparison, complimented by some genius costuming.

While Nazis themselves embrace the trappings of Germany's past, there's really nothing indicating that GW is tapping into Nazi imagery for the Black Templars - it's a case where they both went to the same well for inspiration. I'd actually applaud GW's portrayal, since IIRC the Black Templars were the first desegregated studio chapter I'd seen painted. (I'd love to ask if that was intentionally to offset, subvert, or distinguish their work from what could be otherwise racist symbolism.)

The Black Templars are also descendants of the Imperial Fists, who in the 30k era have gotten a very strong Germanic flavor - they're very Prussian, with different subgroups standing in for the Knights Templar and Teutonic Knights.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Guy Goodbody posted:

Not by much more than the rest of the eagle and skull festooned, fascist military society of the rest of the imperium.

Warhammer generally brushes close enough to Nazi styling to give me pause, with the Templars and Deathwatch tripping those vibes most specifically. Calling back to the Teutonic Knights and pre-Nazi Imperial Germany is maybe not the best defense, just kinda suck it up and accept hams are a little problematic.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
It's kind of impossible to avoid when so much Warhammer stuff is a parody/reaction to the political climate in 80s England, especially when a lot of GW's artists at the time were metal and punk guys.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
Yeah, ID'ing the Black Templars as Nazi whilst the entire Imperium is basically it, but orientated around anyone not homo sapiens, right down to the Ubermensch super soldiers? My sides, they hurt.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

SRM posted:

It's kind of impossible to avoid when so much Warhammer stuff is a parody/reaction to the political climate in 80s England, especially when a lot of GW's artists at the time were metal and punk guys.

Yeah you can definitely tell it's born or of the same counterculture as Judge Dredd, but I feel like Dredd had kept way more of its textual satire over time than 40k, and that's maybe why it makes me a little uncomfortable from time to time.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.

mango sentinel posted:

Yeah you can definitely tell it's born or of the same counterculture as Judge Dredd, but I feel like Dredd had kept way more of its textual satire over time than 40k, and that's maybe why it makes me a little uncomfortable from time to time.

Remember, once upon a time you could buy Rogue Trooper / Dredd / ABC Warrior paraphernalia in Games Workshop!

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

mango sentinel posted:

Warhammer generally brushes close enough to Nazi styling to give me pause, with the Templars and Deathwatch tripping those vibes most specifically. Calling back to the Teutonic Knights and pre-Nazi Imperial Germany is maybe not the best defense, just kinda suck it up and accept hams are a little problematic.
I don't get this at all - the only vaguely "Nazi styling" I see is the attire of the commissars. Calling the Templar/Iron/maltese cross out as an obvious link to Nazism is grasping at straws at best - the German army still uses the cross on their modern military equipment, for God's sake. The Black Templars and all Space Marines are pretty much space knights, pure and simple.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

mango sentinel posted:

You know there are options for armies that aren't fascist xenophobic humans, right?

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
The overt satire's pretty much gone from 40k at this point, though there are some points in some of the newer Codexes where it creeps back in now and again. Unfortunate side effect of course being that a lot of Far/Alt Right types get attracted to the hobby.

Certainly is a problem that needs to be looked at within the community and wargames in general, I can't tell you how much I'm sick of seeing God Emperor Trump photoshops/fanart.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Shockeh posted:

Yeah, ID'ing the Black Templars as Nazi whilst the entire Imperium is basically it, but orientated around anyone not homo sapiens, right down to the Ubermensch super soldiers? My sides, they hurt.

I just meant that if you knew nothing about Warhammer 40,00, the Black Templars might look a little more nazi than other armies.

mango sentinel posted:

They should do a story line where an Ork Wauugh displaces humans from dozens of systems, so they all start heading to Ultramar for safe haven. Ultramar responds by leaving the Imperium so they don't have to let them in.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Guy Goodbody posted:

I just meant that if you knew nothing about Warhammer 40,00 history in general, the Black Templars might look a little more nazi than other armies.
Fixed that for you. I mean, everyone has at least seen a crusader knight in a movie, right?

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
I think it's still pretty obvious that the Imperium are Not Good, even if it's lost the punk humor over time. I wouldn't say that unironic nazis playing the faction invalidates the satire either, otherwise Verhoeven would be considered an alt-right director.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.
So this now exists. :perfect:

https://warhammerart.com/

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
I'd say its most obvious that at least some 40k writers are Aware when reading Ultramarines and Space Wolves related stuff; its very obvious that they are used to represent Good Nazis (Hanns Scharff, Karl Plagge, John Rabbe, etc.), exceptions that prove the rule.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

This site's been around a while, and really more than anything it makes me wish I had more wallspace. I'm glad they're still adding more and more art to it; the handful of Blanche pieces there are baller.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

You can only dedicate yourself to ironic satire for so long before the irony just starts to wear away.

There's also a lot of reverse-engineering the fluff seems to try to justify it all. If ever there is a scenario wherein horrible fascism and all these other horrible things are acceptable, just plug it right into the setting so it all becomes justified.

• Locked thread