Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

Axelgear posted:

Beast is what happens when someone forgets that, if Krampus were real, people would barricade their houses every Krampusnacht and ready their guns like some kind of Bavarian Futurama episode, because savagely beating or straight-up murdering a child is not the appropriate response to disobedience.

Some here went further and pointed out that while Beast wants to be queer fiction, it's hard to hate the bible thumpers or like the gay people when the homosexuals really do eat kids. Morever they are trying for a 1:1 comparison which makes the absurdity of it more outrageous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I thought Beast's inspiration was watching Nightbreed drunk.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

NutritiousSnack posted:

Some here went further and pointed out that while Beast wants to be queer fiction, it's hard to hate the bible thumpers or like the gay people when the homosexuals really do eat kids. Morever they are trying for a 1:1 comparison which makes the absurdity of it more outrageous.

So instead of fiction... It's history, written with lightning!

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

MonsieurChoc posted:

I thought Beast's inspiration was watching Nightbreed drunk.

Yep. The problem is they forget things like the fact the "monsters" generally leave people the gently caress alone or rather don't kill them despite having bloodlust, their reacting Decker stiring poo poo up on his quest to just loving end everything.

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

So instead of fiction... It's history, written with lightning!

NutritiousSnack fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Nov 2, 2016

Desiden
Mar 13, 2016

Mindless self indulgence is SRS BIZNS

NutritiousSnack posted:

This is the part that, for whatever reason, some strains of recent "empowerment fiction" seem to miss: you don't empower the group by having them by every bit as bad as their detractors say they are.

On the other hand, it is kind of inadvertently hilarious. You've got a game that's supposed to be some sort of catharsis for the bullied teen outsider, and it basically comes off as pro-columbine.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out

Is that AJ Styles. I'm so confused...

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

A weird thread for that reference to come up in but yes, AJS went on a radio show a few years back and said some homophobic stuff about THE GAY COMMUNITY??

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

I have a challenge for you guys! What are all the things that you can do to humans in nWoD that you can't do to animals?

Stuff like:
1. Vampires get lovely Vitae off animals.
2. Animals have no human soul so can't be hit with soul loss stuff.
3. Animals go to the Dreaming Earth instead of having dreamscapes/Temenos poo poo.
4. Animals are not affected by Disquiet.
5. Animals use the higher of Wits and Dex for Defense.

I'm sure there must be other weird rules interactions but I can't think of them right now.

Dave Brookshaw
Jun 27, 2012

No Regrets

Mors Rattus posted:

I have a challenge for you guys! What are all the things that you can do to humans in nWoD that you can't do to animals?

Stuff like:
3. Animals go to the Dreaming Earth instead of having dreamscapes/Temenos poo poo.

I'm sure there must be other weird rules interactions but I can't think of them right now.

Actually, number 5 isn't true in second edition. It was for most of first edition, but a few games slipped out forgetting about it, and then it got quietly dropped.

Poltergrift
Feb 16, 2014

"When I grow up, I'm gonna be a proper swordsman. One with clothes."

Mors Rattus posted:

Stuff like:

Animals have spirits; humans don't.
A Promethean cannot become an animal, whether or not their constituent parts are animal parts; it's human or nothing.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Dave Brookshaw posted:

Actually, number 5 isn't true in second edition. It was for most of first edition, but a few games slipped out forgetting about it, and then it got quietly dropped.

...huh, really?

I may just keep it in place as one of the special benefits of being a Changing Breed in animal form anyway.

E: Especially since I had to cut the swarm-shifters for balance reasons. I feel like I need to do something nice for them to make up for that.

(If you didn't see my link earlier, guys, check it out! Currently what's up is mostly the innate benefits each 'breed' gets. Longrunners, IE, the guys who are horses or elephants or moose or other tough, untiring animals, got the ability to run people over like a car.)

Mors Rattus fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Nov 3, 2016

Doodmons
Jan 17, 2009

Dave Brookshaw posted:

Is there a Changelog somewhere of these small, quiet alterations to the rules that 2nd edition has made? Stuff like chance dice no longer having 10-again in 2E. I keep getting tripped up by stuff like that now I have a copy of Chronicles.

Interesting that Animals having the higher of Wits or Dex for defense has been dropped though, considering that that's used as the justification for Rank 1 Ephemeral Beings having the same.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Chance dice don't get 10-again in 2E?! drat, that 1:100 chance to start blowing up a roll was the main reason I still kept trying to roll them. Getting to roll that single die again when you got your unlikely success made that success feel just a little bit more lucky.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

blastron posted:

Chance dice don't get 10-again in 2E?! drat, that 1:100 chance to start blowing up a roll was the main reason I still kept trying to roll them. Getting to roll that single die again when you got your unlikely success made that success feel just a little bit more lucky.

I can sort of understand that change? Chance dice were the only open can of dramatic failures so you needed them in order to make dramatic failure happen, like, ever. Now that there's an open buffet of dramatic failure that's not really required anymore.

Kellsterik
Mar 30, 2012

Poltergrift posted:

A Promethean cannot become an animal, whether or not their constituent parts are animal parts; it's human or nothing.

Really? Noted crow-Promethean Hendaid Bran made it into the fiction anthology, I thought that was still on the table, albeit distantly.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

blastron posted:

Whaa? I don't get that change at all. I always liked that it was still hypothetically possible to, for example, blow the hell out of someone with a gunshot even if you were blinded and trapped in hurricane-force winds or whatever.

Poltergrift
Feb 16, 2014

Kellsterik posted:

Really? Noted crow-Promethean Hendaid Bran made it into the fiction anthology, I thought that was still on the table, albeit distantly.

Ah, you're right. Never mind on that one, then.

Senior Scarybagels
Jan 6, 2011

nom nom
Grimey Drawer

Kellsterik posted:

Also if I remember correctly wasteland affects animals.

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

"The instrument you know as a piano was once called a pianoforte, because it can play both loud and quiet notes."
The Tome of Secrets PDF just went out to V20 Dark Ages backers.

Fantastic Alice
Jan 23, 2012

Kellsterik posted:

Wasn't the crow's thing that it can't finish its pilgrimage because it can't become human? I read his post as "you could make a pig Frankenstein and it still needs to become human to stop being a promethean" and not "no, a pig corpse can not be made into one."

Poltergrift
Feb 16, 2014

xanthan posted:

Wasn't the crow's thing that it can't finish its pilgrimage because it can't become human? I read his post as "you could make a pig Frankenstein and it still needs to become human to stop being a promethean" and not "no, a pig corpse can not be made into one."

Your reading is right, but a cursory Google search tells me one of the books for the new edition involved a story in which Hendaid became a normal crow.

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011
Is there a vague idea when Changeling the Lost 2E will drop, or at least it's kickstarter will

Captain_Person
Apr 7, 2013

WHAT CAN THE HARVEST HOPE FOR, IF NOT FOR THE CARE OF THE REAPER MAN?

NutritiousSnack posted:

Is there a vague idea when Changeling the Lost 2E will drop, or at least it's kickstarter will

No Kickstarters for 2E books unfortunately.

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD

NutritiousSnack posted:

According to the publishing schedule on the website, Winter (Jan/Feb/March) 2017-ish.

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

I believe their timetable as much as I've owned secrets of the Covenants for several years

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011
Thank you both

Pocky In My Pocket posted:

I believe their timetable as much as I've owned secrets of the Covenants for several years

It's insanely weird Vampire 2E hasn't gotten a single supplement yet

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Secrets of the Covenants should be out within a month or so, at least.

Kellsterik
Mar 30, 2012
A lot of the mechanics for Changeling have been posted as open development if you're eager to get something started.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Luminous Obscurity posted:

The Tome of Secrets PDF just went out to V20 Dark Ages backers.

I've only glanced at it but it seems like it has some cool stuff in it. I really like the Wyrm based Dark Thaumaturgy path in concept but I haven't read it too closely.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Kellsterik posted:

A lot of the mechanics for Changeling have been posted as open development if you're eager to get something started.

I'd suggest waiting, having tried to get something started from those. The organization isn't great and in several places it's clear that there's gonna be changes/mods/something not fully realized yet.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

NutritiousSnack posted:

Thank you both

It's insanely weird Vampire 2E hasn't gotten a single supplement yet

The authors have been placed in protective torper. They will be woken for 3E.

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD
I jumped back a little less than two years in this thread's history to early 2015 because I wanted to see the real-time swing of reactions as Beast went from promising concept to the kickstarter release to the revisions to the actual release version and BOY HOWDY was that a mistake.

A year's worth of Magechat philosophical slapfights is NOT best taken in a single binge session.

EDIT: Okay, this was just a reflex no-content 'Whining about mage' post after several pages debating precisely what 'conflict' means, I am being too harsh.
It is nice that Mage is a game that is thought-provoking enough to induce passionate debate.

Crasical fucked around with this message at 10:11 on Nov 6, 2016

Thanqol
Feb 15, 2012

because our character has the 'poet' trait, this update shall be told in the format of a rap battle.
Hey, in Mage when writing spirits and such, when assigning attribute dots and you get 5 points or whatever is that 'assign 5 points like a player character during character gen, i.e. everything starts at 1 so I get 5/2/1'? Or is it 'assign 5 points from 0, so I get 3/1/1'?

Also Dr. Strange was pretty much the only Magelike movie I've seen stand up for the Mysterium's point of view.

Axelgear
Oct 13, 2011

If I'm wrong, please don't hesitate to tell me. It happens pretty often and I will try to change my opinion if I'm presented with evidence.
I believe it's the first one; 1/1/1 to start and then you add five dots.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Thanqol posted:

Also Dr. Strange was pretty much the only Magelike movie I've seen stand up for the Mysterium's point of view.

Meanwhile,

Kaecilius: "Death is an insult!"

Tuxedo Catfish: :black101: :denmark: :mason: :hfive:

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Axelgear posted:

I believe it's the first one; 1/1/1 to start and then you add five dots.

I've never actually been sure but I think it's actually 0/0/0. It is a point in which I recall the text being vague, though.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Mors Rattus posted:

I've never actually been sure but I think it's actually 0/0/0. It is a point in which I recall the text being vague, though.

It's less vague in Mage 2e. Pg 255, under Attributes and Skills. Paraphrasing for succinctness, 'The Rank chart gives how many total dots an entity should have". So for rank 1, 5-8, start at 0,0,0 and go up from there.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Meanwhile,

Kaecilius: "Death is an insult!"

Tuxedo Catfish: :black101: :denmark: :mason: :hfive:

Ladder is the best, but treating with the Abyss never ends well. Looking forward to Doctor Strange 2:The Banisher's Revengence

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Oh good I was not the only person thinking of Mage that entire movie

though I guess in hindsight I don't know how anyone couldn't

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kellsterik
Mar 30, 2012
Strange's whole look and style makes me want to emphasize to my Mage players "you are not a normal person who happens to have magic powers, you are A Wizard. You gaze into crystal balls and mutter arcane curses at passers-by and probably have a cape." That's why I don't personally like games where the PCs are newly Awakened, I want to move their frame of reference way out of the ballpark of the normal and into the kind of person who seriously considers bargaining with an Acamoth for power or challenging someone to the Duel Arcane over a social slight.