Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pentaro
May 5, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

I boxed Chespin and just used wild pokemon throughout X. I surmise I'll do the same With Moon.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Harlock posted:

I boxed Chespin and just used wild pokemon throughout X. I surmise I'll do the same With Moon.

same

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Xander B Coolridge posted:

I also played through Pokemon X three different times to get Articuno, Moltres, and Zapdos. I caught 3 Zygardes, 3 Xerneas, and 3 Mewtwos and used those as bargaining for higher-profile legendaries.
If you have a generation with a working duplication glitch, legendaries are totally the way to go.

...that said, with the GTS gone, I have no idea if there's anything newer than Emerald that can dupe anymore.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Harlock posted:

I only ever did this with B/W and B/W 2

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

The only time I boxed a starter was Platinum, where I subbed a Tyrogue for my starter by trading an egg over

It was a lot of fun, Tyrogue is a good starter.

Hustlin Floh
Jul 20, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Someone linked to the Origin of Species column on Bulbapedia and I've been reading it since yesterday. It is fascinating.

On Bronzor and Bronzong:

:aaaaa:

It's an interesting column especially for the parts where the guy mentions he's almost 40 and that he has a collection of Sailor Moon figures.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

Kelp Plankton posted:

The only time I boxed a starter was Platinum, where I subbed a Tyrogue for my starter by trading an egg over

It was a lot of fun, Tyrogue is a good starter.

What did you evolve him into? This is important.

Note: All answers are correct. The Hitmons are awesome.

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

All the best octopodes shoot fire and ice.

Hustlin Floh posted:

It's an interesting column especially for the parts where the guy mentions he's almost 40 and that he has a collection of Sailor Moon figures.

The author seems like an odd thing to focus on when reading a column about where the inspiration for a Pokemon came from. I can understand it with a political or business column, but a fan theory about where a Pokemon came from just seems like an odd thing to care about the author's references for.

Also Hitmonlee will always be my favorite Hitmon. It never really sat too well with me the Hitmonchan was wearing clothes and boxing gloves. Plus I would imagine hitmontop used to get a pretty bad headache from standing on his head all the time which is probably why he doesn't do it anymore. The capoeira stance is pretty cool though.

Hustlin Floh
Jul 20, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It's funny to me that he even added it in.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Reinanigans posted:

what about unevolved with eviolite?

sometimes it is nice to keep something unevolved so your team can have a cute mascot.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

McDragon posted:

what about unevolved with eviolite?

sometimes it is nice to keep something unevolved so your team can have a cute mascot.

Just pick a cute mon that doesn't evolve but has halfway decent stats or typing in that case.

Sableye, Dunsparse, Mawile, Castform, Tropius, Emolga etc.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
My aS team was all pokemon that don't evolve. Was fun. Traded my starter for Relicanth, then I got Absol, Torkoal, Mawile, Seviper, and Tropius.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
Absol and Mawile are not non-evolvables in AS. Epic fail! :sad:

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
I don't use Mega Evolution.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
Irrelevant, by that logic you can put any mon on your team and give them an Everstone to hold and call them a mon that doesn't evolve as well.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
I don't count Mega Evolution as actual evolution, because at the end of the battle they are the same as when they started the battle.

MissileWaster
Jul 2, 2007

Remember that one time you totally botched that snap?

I literally just completed my living dex (minus the mythical events that I missed).

I found that Eeveelutions are a pretty hot item. I got about 30 'mons just by mass evolving Umbreons and Espeons and putting them in the GTS.

Legendaries are harder to come by. I lucked out with the legendary beasts. I traded level 90+ competitive pokemon for Suicune, Raikou, and Entei.

I also played through Pokemon X three different times to get Articuno, Moltres, and Zapdos. I caught 3 Zygardes, 3 Xerneas, and 3 Mewtwos and used those as bargaining for higher-profile legendaries.

Fortunately I've already got every legendary. Multiples of all of them except Diancie and Yveltal. I may try to score another Yveltal though, the only one I have is a shiny event one and I like keeping my shinies in a separate box from everything else.

It's good to know with the Eeveelutions though, that sounds easy enough to knock out, since I tend to play at night I'll get a nice army of Wish Umbreons for trade bait!

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
If you aren't buffed by eviolite you aren't unevolved

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Zore posted:

Just pick a cute mon that doesn't evolve but has halfway decent stats or typing in that case.

Sableye, Dunsparse, Mawile, Castform, Tropius, Emolga etc.

that's cheating :colbert:

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Reinanigans posted:

I got Hitmonchan, but purposely avoided looking at stats or trying to get a particular one because I wanted to be surprised. A fun playthrough.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Countblanc posted:

Mega Evo just means you get two stages of an evolutionary line in the same battle and get to play mind games with the unevolved form before evolving into the next stage (which often gets a different typing and ability), it's the luxury edition of evolution

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Countblanc posted:

i'm chuffed by eviolite

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Countblanc posted:

how will we know after the great eviolite removal of gen 7

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
So I recently fired up XY to finish it before Sun/Moon comes out. I skipped the sapphire remake. Anyway, I hadn't logged into my pokemon bank in over a year and lost all of my pokemon dating back to gameboy times. That super suck but there's nothing I can do it about it now.

I also see that every promotion code, QR code, or distribution is over or whatever and I missed the gap on an exploit the browser QR code thing. Are there still any working tools to hack myself back some of my old favourites even if they're hollow clones? I remember back when I was doing my pokemon bank transferring from the oldass games, there was some wifi trick I could use to spoof GTS or something and it gave me access to a few rare dudes. Barring anything easy, does the 3DSXL have a working "r4" type flash card or something I could use to manually hack my save?

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Khanstant posted:

something I could use to manually hack my save?

https://www.amazon.com/Datel-Action-Replay-Power-Saves-Pro/dp/B00IVJ1M7M

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

Kelp Plankton posted:

I got Hitmonchan, but purposely avoided looking at stats or trying to get a particular one because I wanted to be surprised. A fun playthrough.

thats terrible because doing that makes getting hitmontop incredibly unlikely, and hitmontop rules

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

sharrrk posted:

thats terrible because doing that makes getting hitmontop incredibly unlikely, and hitmontop rules

you might say it's the... top hitmon

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Wow, thank you. It's cheap, too! Cool.

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

Zore posted:

I only ever did this with B/W and B/W 2

I did it with B/W2 because the Gen 5 starters are very disappointing compared to what the game allows you to obtain (with even more options if you had the Dream World available).

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Why is that male pikachu laying eggs

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Zuzie posted:

I did it with B/W2 because the Gen 5 starters are very disappointing compared to what the game allows you to obtain (with even more options if you had the Dream World available).

Yeah, tho B/W are dire as gently caress in terms of early pokemon selection.

Thankfully they fixed that in B/W2

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

I dunno why they didn't name hitmontop after a famous capoeirista but I guess they learned their lesson after kadabra

jarbv
Jul 10, 2004

cheetah7071 posted:

We don't know how it got there, but you want it, don't you?

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

cheetah7071 posted:

That's where shinies come from.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Only 2 weeks-ish before my 3ds friends list is online again

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
similarly, I'm excited to see how many of my 3ds friends suddenly and totally coincidentally stop being listed as online for a week before the game launches after the CIA leaks

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I don't think I've looked at my 3ds friends list since xy was released

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

McDragon posted:

I dunno why they didn't name hitmontop after a famous capoeirista but I guess they learned their lesson after kadabra

yeah why didn't they go with hitmoneddiegordo