Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
freckle
Apr 6, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

botany posted:

excuse me

He said your unemployed garbage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

attackmole posted:

I suppose this is just academic bickering, but the smugness is usually concentrated in the TE part of STEM. And especially the engineers, gently caress those guys. Science and math people lean pretty heavily towards putzing around in academia (which is its own realm of smugness, but not in the *gently caress you my job is better than yours* way).

If you want all the problem solving challenges of STEM with none of the employability just take a pure math degree and don't bother learning to code outside of one Python class 7 years ago :suicide:.

This is true. When I started college STEM wasn't even really a buzzword, but now I get demographically lumped in with engineering weirdos. smdh

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

Covok posted:

This but unironically. It will happen, Trump will win, and Trump will destroy this country and the world.

You're thinking too small. If significant portions of the FBI (leadership included) has gone rogue and intends to use their station to influence the election, why do it half-assed? Why not just go straight-up for announcing an indictment and arresting her mid-way through election day in front of the thousands of cameras that'll be following her around?

Worst case is that afterwards they go 'oops, we jumped the gun', a couple of low-level agents get reprimanded and the agency gets purged anyway. If the agency really is trying to affect things (and they certainly aren't being subtle now), what reason is there not to do the full monty?

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.
I am in STEM and I only hate people who suck for unrelated reasons. Like Republicans or people who use toilet seat covers.

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

Lightning Knight posted:

Hey man they almost went with McMuffin. Almost. They could've been regular suck instead of ultra suck.

Utah sucks so bad that the suckage tends to leak into neighboring states

freckle
Apr 6, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Tempest_56 posted:

You're thinking too small. If significant portions of the FBI (leadership included) has gone rogue and intends to use their station to influence the election, why do it half-assed? Why not just go straight-up for announcing an indictment and arresting her mid-way through election day in front of the thousands of cameras that'll be following her around?

Worst case is that afterwards they go 'oops, we jumped the gun', a couple of low-level agents get reprimanded and the agency gets purged anyway. If the agency really is trying to affect things (and they certainly aren't being subtle now), what reason is there not to do the full monty?

FBI doesn't choose who to indict.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

freckle posted:

He said your unemployed garbage.

my unemployed garbage what

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
The Suffolk poll actually made Hill's chances in NH go up

arzy over

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Tempest_56 posted:

Probably the fact that doing so will be such a clear violation of the hatch act that they will all go to prison.

Also, the FBI doesn't indict.

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG

BlueberryCanary posted:

Is the FBI now a rogue organization? Can we trust them to follow the law and not their partisan opinions if/when Hillary is elected?

I think most of the country is questioning if the next president will follow the law or not.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

botany posted:

your unemployed garbage mom

freckle
Apr 6, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

botany posted:

:negative:

You win this round STEMLord.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
Chalk one up for Iron Dread :abuela: in ... the ... the redneck state? What even is ohio, anyway?

Depressing story from early voting: a poll worker telling somekne, loudly, "you don't NEED to vote for president, just fill out the ones you'll vote for."
:yikes:

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

turn it up TURN ME ON posted:

I am in STEM and I only hate people who suck for unrelated reasons. Like Republicans or people who use toilet seat covers.

https://twitter.com/dril/status/789388138607210496

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

WeAreTheRomans posted:

your unemployed garbage mom

MY MOTHER IS A SAINT

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
I make several thousand dollars over the national average income as a literate major I won at life

*hides incredible student debt under bed where he hopes no one notices*

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Doorknob Slobber posted:

hot take: degrees don't have anything to do with intelligence and a lot more to do with a person's ability to follow rules and orders

This breaks down once you leave the confines of classroom academia and head into peer-reviewed research. poo poo's way different, I think, from what anyone who hasn't done peer-reviewed grant-supported research toward an advanced degree would think it is like.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Lightning Knight posted:

I am a social science major and I hate that math and hard sciences are gen ed requirements because I suck at math and it's a complete waste of my time to make me take math or science above a high school level when I don't want to teach those things. Does that make me a bad person?

cliometrics is real, and strong, and he's my friend

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

Chalk one up for Iron Dread :abuela: in ... the ... the redneck state? What even is ohio, anyway?

Depressing story from early voting: a poll worker telling somekne, loudly, "you don't NEED to vote for president, just fill out the ones you'll vote for."
:yikes:

I mean, that isn't so bad, really? I think they were just trying to get people to vote for downballot senates and avoid people being like "I can't vote Trump so I can't vote at all." If I was republican, I'd try to avoid that.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

funkymonks posted:

We don't have early voting in NH.

You have absentee voting, I should have been clear.

Feral Integral
Jun 6, 2006

YOSPOS

attackmole posted:

I suppose this is just academic bickering, but the smugness is usually concentrated in the TE part of STEM. And especially the engineers, gently caress those guys. Science and math people lean pretty heavily towards putzing around in academia (which is its own realm of smugness, but not in the *gently caress you my job is better than yours* way).

If you want all the problem solving challenges of STEM with none of the employability just take a pure math degree and don't bother learning to code outside of one Python class 7 years ago :suicide:.

Ouch, well you could always run back and grab that cs degree - you probably already have all the auxiliary credits out of the way so you could probably crush that out in a year or so. But, in my experience, a degree is not required for programming if you have the interest and will to learn it on your own time. Saves a few tens of grands if you can do the self-teaching thing

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

You have absentee voting, I should have been clear.

Where's the data on that

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Young Hegelian posted:

Yeah, but Clinton is probably stronger in Florida than either would be. It's weird that Biden is assumed to be so much better than Hillary when no one has run meaningful oppo on him since 1988.

Why? Latinos would be voting in droves against Trump no matter who the dem nominee is.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Alec Bald Snatch posted:

cliometrics is real, and strong, and he's my friend

I have no clue what that means.

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

botany posted:

MY MOTHER IS A SAINT

yes, the patron saint of garbage :v:

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I make several thousand dollars over the national average income as a literate major I won at life

Household income or Personal Income? Because one of those is very good for Newark, DE and the other is not.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I managed to handle student loans, I'm just saddled with crippling medical bills! America!

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

It sounds like there's gonna be a lot of job openings in the FBI next year.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

mcmagic posted:

Why? Latinos would be voting in droves against Trump no matter who the dem nominee is.

Nobody cares, mcmagic.

seriously, how can you talk about the exact same point for 6 months straight? what is wrong with you?

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
botany's mother is a nice lady, don't make fun of the people who work in garbage collection, I don't see you complaining about having nice clean streets with no garbage on the sidewalks. :colbert:

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Household income or Personal Income? Because one of those is very good for Newark, DE and the other is not.

:eyes shift:

which one

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

Gotta admit, it's gonna be pretty weird with inauguration day, when the entire FBI is planted on spikes and Hillary is sworn in on the blood of her enemies

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Evil Fluffy posted:

It sounds like there's gonna be a lot of job openings in the FBI next year.

Nope.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
i am a computer programmer and i have a degree in poetry composition. i am consistently ranked higher in my company than dudes with masters degrees in computer science. your loving degree does not make you special and your job does not make you special.

it is cool to have a programming job because you can get paid and save for the future, but that doesn't make you inherently make you better or smarter than someone teaching high school or working at a taco bell or running an alternative poetry jam blog and pirate radio station. it just makes you a person with a good job. congratulations, you got a good job. no need to be a dick about it.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Why not? Are there guards at the cemetery or something?

Yeah they got wise after last time

Covok posted:

Wow, that legitimately depressed me.

My grandmother was a feminist before she knew that was a term, and her understanding of feminism was very simple: "There's no such thing as 'just for boys.'" She was an english teacher, and she spent her whole life taking a hammer to any glass ceiling her students hit. Way before Title IX she fought to get girls into sports. When the local little league team barred one of her female students from joining she checked a book about baseball out of the library and started an all-girl team, coaching them herself. She kept a list of female firsts her students had achieved - first runner in a local marathon, first city councilwoman, and she would read that list at the start of the school year and ask her kids what they wanted to add to the list. Former students of hers would come by and add to the list up until the day she died. We read the whole three-ring binder of them at her funeral.

Don't be depressed. She planted those trees knowing we'd be the ones who got to sit in their shade.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

WeAreTheRomans posted:

This is true. When I started college STEM wasn't even really a buzzword, but now I get demographically lumped in with engineering weirdos. smdh

Also this. Geology wants more women, even. They're more likely to fit into small spaces in caves, and we aren't exactly allowed to use children anymore :science:

freckle
Apr 6, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Lightning Knight posted:

nice clean streets with no garbage on the sidewalks. :colbert:

Where can you find those? Japan?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Mel Mudkiper posted:

:eyes shift:

which one

Household income median is around 55k.

Personal is around 26k.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Lightning Knight posted:

I am a social science major and I hate that math and hard sciences are gen ed requirements because I suck at math and it's a complete waste of my time to make me take math or science above a high school level when I don't want to teach those things. Does that make me a bad person?

No, it makes you someone at a university with bad math teachers. Most colleges are awful at teaching math because they teach math like you're a math major who loves writing pages and pages of rigorous proofs instead of someone who wants to figure out the easiest way to get the result you need in an intuitive and straight-forward way. I'm a STEMlord in grad school w/ my B.S. in physics (ie calculus is my life) and have tutored a several of my struggling undergrad friends through Calculus. When you stop being obsessed with teaching people rigor and instead focus on teaching people how to understand the concepts behind the rigor, Calculus makes 10000% more sense. I completely despise how Calculus is generally taught because single-variable calculus is much easier to understand if you teach the concepts of it non-rigorously instead of opening your first class with "okay everyone lets derive the derivative from limits and integrals from Riemann Sums!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

theflyingorc posted:

Nobody cares, mcmagic.

seriously, how can you talk about the exact same point for 6 months straight? what is wrong with you?

Why aren't you as angry as I am that we're at the place we are now 5 days before the election where the most disgusting human being to ever run for president keeps gaining ground on a flawed democrat? This election should've been a laugher.

• Locked thread