Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

Zas posted:

honestly in the last year d&d has become more hardline mainstream dem even than this forum, its been weird, cause they were definitely varying shades of marxist like a year and a half ago. anyway trap sprung, i read d&d sometimes

Gotta work with the terrible libs to fight the fascist. Lessons learned from 1930s Germany ideological purity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
Zizek is a bad philosopher but an entertaining comedian.

Fidel Castronaut
Dec 25, 2004

Houston, we're Havana problem.
Zizek is able to marry Lacanian psychoanalysis with Marxist ideology critique in p cool ways, especially considering Lacan is hard as gently caress to do anything with because he's hard as gently caress to follow. There's a cool article by Zizek on The Crying Game and Lacanian lack.

But all of that was written ages ago and I don't follow him anymore but it's really weird to me that he's spilled outside of academia and people outside of academia have really strong feelings about him.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

Karl Sharks
Feb 20, 2008

The Immortal Science of Sharksism-Fininism

pathetic little tramp posted:

https://twitter.com/HillaryClinton/status/794261519638921218

really really worth watching.

this is the guy who must be beaten

edit: warning there are feels

oh god too many feels

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

It's a little bit juvenile, but it's simple and it's timeless.

We let it be known that Schnorkles, for a snack, eats tiny pieces of shit.

You're picturing it and you're talking about it. That's a win in my book.
My primary stance on Zizek is that he always looks desperately in need of a shower

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

mango sentinel posted:

Zizek is a bad philosopher but an entertaining comedian.

Zizek seems like a mean practical joke someone played on a deranged person by making him a public figure despite being one of the people least suited for the job.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Loel posted:

Gotta work with the terrible libs to fight the fascist. Lessons learned from 1930s Germany ideological purity.

The straggler tankies slowly skimmed off to lf over time.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib

Lum_ posted:

More likely the worst case scenario would be records of him taking a KGB payoff. He wouldn't even have to do anything for it, the KGB had a lot of money to throw around and in the 1980s was actively trying to infiltrate Western companies for industrial espionage. Donald Trump would be the absolute worst person to do this with, but the KGB was never that bright about such things.

Of course even if this did come out (1) he'd just deny it, (2) frankly the Ukrainian intelligence service isn't above just making something like that up to ensure a Putin buddy doesn't win the election regardless, and (3) Occam's Razor tells us Random Ukrainian Guy (and Random Rick Wilson Guy) are just full of poo poo anyway.

The KGB really was the most hilariously inept intelligence org. They literally had a plan (that they came up with in a sauna) to secure the USSR's power that led directly to the USSR dissolving.

deathbysnusnu
Feb 25, 2016

Lum_ posted:

More likely the worst case scenario would be records of him taking a KGB payoff. He wouldn't even have to do anything for it, the KGB had a lot of money to throw around and in the 1980s was actively trying to infiltrate Western companies for industrial espionage. Donald Trump would be the absolute worst person to do this with, but the KGB was never that bright about such things.

Of course even if this did come out (1) he'd just deny it, (2) frankly the Ukrainian intelligence service isn't above just making something like that up to ensure a Putin buddy doesn't win the election regardless, and (3) Occam's Razor tells us Random Ukrainian Guy (and Random Rick Wilson Guy) are just full of poo poo anyway.

This is all probably just wishful thinking, but man if it were true, there is a god in heaven if what brought down Trump was hacked EMAILS.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Fidel Castronaut posted:

But all of that was written ages ago and I don't follow him anymore but it's really weird to me that he's spilled outside of academia and people outside of academia have really strong feelings about him.

its because he talks about nerd poo poo

brocretin
Nov 15, 2012

yo yo yo i loves virgins

Fidel Castronaut posted:

Zizek is able to marry Lacanian psychoanalysis with Marxist ideology critique

wow i already hate it

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Fidel Castronaut posted:

Zizek is able to marry Lacanian psychoanalysis with Marxist ideology critique in p cool ways, especially considering Lacan is hard as gently caress to do anything with because he's hard as gently caress to follow. There's a cool article by Zizek on The Crying Game and Lacanian lack.

Isn't Lacanianism all bullshit because it's based on Freudianism though? Like it makes for some interesting conversation, but is there any basis in reality?

Karl Sharks
Feb 20, 2008

The Immortal Science of Sharksism-Fininism

lol

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006
https://twitter.com/noclador/status/794260619939741700

https://twitter.com/noclador/status/794267580848603136

Themagicalgoat
Oct 5, 2016

Sinteres posted:

Isn't Lacanianism all bullshit because it's based on Freudianism though? Like it makes for some interesting conversation, but is there any basis in reality?

Short answer: No.

Long answer: Nooooooooooooooo.

IF you want to find the answer for yourself, go to graduate school (don't go to graduate school).

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Al!
Apr 2, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
theres a whole wing of political philosophy thats based on freud. I prefer D+G though i initially hated them

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/mmurraypolitics/status/794268253472387072

brocretin
Nov 15, 2012

yo yo yo i loves virgins

Themagicalgoat posted:

Short answer: No.

Long answer: Nooooooooooooooo.

IF you want to find the answer for yourself, go to graduate school (don't go to graduate school).

good defense

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

Donald Trump: willing Russian stooge or most easily played motherfuvker on the planet?

lol I'm kidding it's both

publishko
Feb 16, 2014

Sinteres posted:

in terms of science pretty much yeah but philosophically it provides a useful framework for critiquing a lot of art

in other words it's good for navel gazing

oneforthevine
Sep 25, 2015

Themagicalgoat posted:

(don't go to graduate school).

:agreed:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

:frogon:

Also
https://twitter.com/mike_giglio/status/794141231303577601
https://twitter.com/danielbenaim/status/794253421167706113

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

Donald Trump: lifelong soviet plant is the ending u get if u 100% the election

Al!
Apr 2, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Frankly im not sure how you can look at this election and not think the post-freudian political philosophers were absolutely correct, this election is freudian in the extreme

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Fidel Castronaut posted:

He got married so I think he's p much done

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos
damnit trump
https://twitter.com/SWMplsPatch/status/794269197836558337

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Did the Mosul offensive work?

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Al! posted:

Frankly im not sure how you can look at this election and not think the post-freudian political philosophers were absolutely correct, this election is freudian in the extreme

No cigar, no cigar! You're the cigar!

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

That DICK! posted:

Donald Trump: lifelong soviet plant is the ending u get if u 100% the election
TRUMP: I DID IT! I won the election. I get to be president, just like you wanted.
KGB: That's nice, tovarish, but Soviet Union no longer exist.

Not Al-Qaeda
Mar 20, 2012
jesus christ trump is actually going to win

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

huge and drat if true.

euphronius posted:

Did the Mosul offensive work?

i think they have just started pushing into the city itself today.

so what else have i missed?

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

some classic cruz sliminess

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

It's a little bit juvenile, but it's simple and it's timeless.

We let it be known that Schnorkles, for a snack, eats tiny pieces of shit.

You're picturing it and you're talking about it. That's a win in my book.
Survey Monkey's senate polls are such insanity

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006
Prolly just rehashing the old rumor that the KGB has a Trump Sex Tape (check out sex tape).

http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2016/10/veteran-spy-gave-fbi-info-alleging-russian-operation-cultivate-donald-trump

quote:

In June, the former Western intelligence officer—who spent almost two decades on Russian intelligence matters and who now works with a US firm that gathers information on Russia for corporate clients—was assigned the task of researching Trump's dealings in Russia and elsewhere, according to the former spy and his associates in this American firm. This was for an opposition research project originally financed by a Republican client critical of the celebrity mogul. (Before the former spy was retained, the project's financing switched to a client allied with Democrats.) "It started off as a fairly general inquiry," says the former spook, who asks not to be identified. But when he dug into Trump, he notes, he came across troubling information indicating connections between Trump and the Russian government. According to his sources, he says, "there was an established exchange of information between the Trump campaign and the Kremlin of mutual benefit."

This was, the former spy remarks, "an extraordinary situation." He regularly consults with US government agencies on Russian matters, and near the start of July on his own initiative—without the permission of the US company that hired him—he sent a report he had written for that firm to a contact at the FBI, according to the former intelligence officer and his American associates, who asked not to be identified. (He declines to identify the FBI contact.) The former spy says he concluded that the information he had collected on Trump was "sufficiently serious" to share with the FBI.

Mother Jones has reviewed that report and other memos this former spy wrote. The first memo, based on the former intelligence officer's conversations with Russian sources, noted, "Russian regime has been cultivating, supporting and assisting TRUMP for at least 5 years. Aim, endorsed by PUTIN, has been to encourage splits and divisions in western alliance." It maintained that Trump "and his inner circle have accepted a regular flow of intelligence from the Kremlin, including on his Democratic and other political rivals." It claimed that Russian intelligence had "compromised" Trump during his visits to Moscow and could "blackmail him."

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

Al! posted:

this election is freudian in the extreme
bigly

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

Donald Trump presents: The Gorky Park Five!

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

Al! posted:

yeah its like, ok freud was wrong about stuff and his work might not apply directly to psychological treatment anymore, but that doesn't mean his social or critical ideas should just be abandoned.

thomas bernhard, who is a much much better continental troll than zizek btw, said it best i think

quote:

FLEISCHMANN: I take it then that psychoanalysis is not a means of gaining knowledge for you?

BERNHARD: Well, no; for me it’s never been that kind of thing. I think of Freud simply as a good writer, and whenever I’ve read something of his, I’ve always gotten the feeling of having read the work of an extraordinary, magnificent writer. I’m no competent judge of his medical qualifications, and as for what’s known as psychoanalysis, I’ve personally always tended to think of it as nonsense or as a middle-aged man’s hobby-horse that turned into an old man’s hobby-horse. But Freud’s fame is well-deserved, because of course he was a genuinely great, extraordinary personality. There’s no denying that. One of the few great personalities who had a beard and was great despite his beardiness.

FLEISCHMANN: Do you have something against beards?

BERNHARD: No. But the majority of people call people who have a long beard or the longest possible beard great personalities and suppose that the longer one’s beard is, the greater the personality one is. Freud’s beard was relatively long, but too pointy; that was typical of him. Perhaps it was the typical Freudian trait, the pointy beard. It’s possible.

anyway the sexual anxiety of this election has been nauseating

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al!
Apr 2, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Samuel Clemens posted:

No cigar, no cigar! You're the cigar!

lmao

• Locked thread