Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jagermonster
May 7, 2005

Hey - NIZE HAT!

Barry Convex posted:

So, uh... aside from the Amazons themselves, where are the mythological elements?

i'm guessing Ares is behind the war or something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
He better be because I really, really don't like the idea that WW1 Germans are just Nazi's without Hitler. It's flagrantly historically inaccurate on a Mel Gibson movie level.

But yea, looks awesome. But then I said that after the SS Trailer. Honestly, of all the movies, if they gently caress this one up, they might as well pack it in.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Downey Jr. licensed his likeness to Marvel, so maybe we'll just get a VFX render of him with him phoning in the ADR for the big cash check for the next 20 years.

Cinematography fow WW looks really good. Apparently the director's done some GoT episodes. Don't recognize the name.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Jagermonster posted:

i'm guessing Ares is behind the war or something

There's no way we're getting the clay origin, is there?

Trailer looks okay, about the same as the teaser from a while back. Still not crazy about that costume though.

Jagermonster
May 7, 2005

Hey - NIZE HAT!

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Trailer looks okay, about the same as the teaser from a while back. Still not crazy about that costume though.

Haven't there been picture of Diana looking like she has a hosed up partly clay face?

edit- never mind, apparently that's a shot of the villain:

()

Jagermonster fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Nov 3, 2016

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

ufarn posted:

Downey Jr. licensed his likeness to Marvel, so maybe we'll just get a VFX render of him with him phoning in the ADR for the big cash check for the next 20 years.

Cinematography fow WW looks really good. Apparently the director's done some GoT episodes. Don't recognize the name.

That was Michelle Maclaren who worked on GoT. She was the first director hired but she left.

The director now, Patty Jenkins, made Monster.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

twistedmentat posted:

He better be because I really, really don't like the idea that WW1 Germans are just Nazi's without Hitler. It's flagrantly historically inaccurate on a Mel Gibson movie level.

Running it by historical records, this checks out.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Those posters have...color???

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

teagone posted:

I'm tilted every time someone says Gina Carano should have been Wonder Woman.

I believe in Patty Jenkins. If there's one movie in the DCEU that is universally loved by fans and critics, it has to be Wonder Woman. It just has to be. :ohdear:

[edit] I'm losing my mind waiting for this trailer.

My experience has been that Wonder Woman (at least about 5 or so years ago) had some of the most toxic fans when it comes to getting outraged about a depiction of her in another form of media. Like anytime someone was mooted as playing Wonder Woman, everyone would lose their poo poo and say why this person was wrong. (Not tall enough. Not exotic looking enough. Doesn't look strong enough. Doesn't match my plutonic idea of the most beautiful woman ever.)

I remember the outrage and glee at the cancellation over the Wonder Woman pilot from a number of years ago. (Now granted this show would have certainly sucked, but to judge something as it is still being made is the definition of not giving something a fair chance to improve.)
There was a poster on Scans_Daily who said something that to this day sticks with me when it comes to Wonder Woman fans and their depiction of her. That they'd rather have no TV show or film made about Wonder Woman then have something made that wasn't perfect.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Aphrodite posted:

That was Michelle Maclaren who worked on GoT. She was the first director hired but she left.

The director now, Patty Jenkins, made Monster.
Cinematographer. Not director. The cinematographer is Matthew Jensen according to IMDb.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
That stuff with Etta at the end was a delight.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

The Question IRL posted:

My experience has been that Wonder Woman (at least about 5 or so years ago) had some of the most toxic fans when it comes to getting outraged about a depiction of her in another form of media. Like anytime someone was mooted as playing Wonder Woman, everyone would lose their poo poo and say why this person was wrong. (Not tall enough. Not exotic looking enough. Doesn't look strong enough. Doesn't match my plutonic idea of the most beautiful woman ever.)

I remember the outrage and glee at the cancellation over the Wonder Woman pilot from a number of years ago. (Now granted this show would have certainly sucked, but to judge something as it is still being made is the definition of not giving something a fair chance to improve.)
There was a poster on Scans_Daily who said something that to this day sticks with me when it comes to Wonder Woman fans and their depiction of her. That they'd rather have no TV show or film made about Wonder Woman then have something made that wasn't perfect.

I was pretty much onboard with Gadot's casting when it was officially announced. Though, I remember around 3 years ago I was arguing with people online when I brought up the notion of casting Elizabeth Debicki as Wonder Woman. I lobbied for her hard, but that idea made so many people angry haha. Interestingly enough, Debicki was cast as Ayesha in Guardians of the Galaxy 2; guess I had some foresight into her being cast as a superhero eventually :smug:

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The good old "I can't fap to this!" reaction.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Things I liked:
Like...a lot of it? Most of it? Visuals, bracers, dialogue, story all seems super solid. Nice dynamic between characters. Chris Pine needs to sit on me.

"Ehh" things:
Please don't tell me we're getting yet another finale with Big Blue Energy Tower that our heroes have to stop...poo poo, you're telling me that, aren't you.
It seems like we're skipping the island competition to become Wonder Woman. It's understandable -- time constraint or whatever -- but it's still pretty disappointing to me.
Like some said, not a lot of mythology here. Also disappointing.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

From the looks of things, I'm guessing they just gloss over her origin for now. The "made by Zeus" line is probably as much as they're gonna touch on it. This film kind of got made during the period where DC seemed to wiffle between her lovely new origin and her good old origin, and this seems to be them splitting the difference and calling it a day.

I'll tell you what, though...my single greatest fear right now is for them to reveal, probably during the finale or something, that what she believed about being made by Zeus was a lie and that she's actually Zeus' daughter and that's how she gets a power-up to beat the final boss or whatever. Maybe she's fighting Ares (who might be that guy) and he goes "blah blah, Diana you know so little, blah blah, you are actually my sister hahaha." I...super hope that doesn't happen, but it's unfortunately possible right now.

Incidentally, my guess is that the mask lady is Dr. Poison? I dunno.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Oh god, that shot with the bullet in slo mo while she slides through the air
That looked terrible

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The tower explosion is actually likely earlier in the movie.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

If she takes her bracers off and goes super saiyan to beat the last boss I'm going to rip my seat out of the floor of the theater and beat myself to death with it

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I didn't much care for the line delivery from Gadot but I liked the rest of the trailer. It actually looked vibrant at times, which is a welcome change.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Doesn't she explicitly mention the clay origin in the first trailer? Or just that Zeus is her father?

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

twistedmentat posted:

But yea, looks awesome. But then I said that after the SS Trailer. Honestly, of all the movies, if they gently caress this one up, they might as well pack it in.

But World War 1 Germans did have Hitler.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I wish that when they were trying to make Wonder Woman like ten years ago they would have cast Gina Torres, I think she would have been amazing.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

purple death ray posted:

If she takes her bracers off and goes super saiyan to beat the last boss I'm going to rip my seat out of the floor of the theater and beat myself to death with it
From what little we can tell, I'm thinking that final shot is of her absorbing the power of the blue finale tower, instead of calling on the power of Zeus or something. Maybe that's just wishful thinking on my part though.

Cythereal posted:

Doesn't she explicitly mention the clay origin in the first trailer? Or just that Zeus is her father?
She exact words were "I have no father. I was brought to life by Zeus." Like I said, seems like splitting the difference between two origins.

BrianWilly fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Nov 3, 2016

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.

BrianWilly posted:

From what little we can tell, I'm thinking that final shot is of her absorbing the power of the blue finale tower, instead of calling on the power of Zeus or something. Maybe that's just wishful thinking on my part though.

You seem to be reaching pretty hard based on just a flash of a scene in a trailer with no context.

mikeraskol fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Nov 3, 2016

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

purple death ray posted:

:toxx:

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I want her to take her bracers off and go super saiyan

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
She probably is the ultimate lifeform, after all.

Trailer looks pretty nice, some iffy bits (that bullet shot as she slowly power-point-slides towards it was painful) but all in all nice and the color palette is gorgeous.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Rhyno posted:

Azz's run is fantastic, who told you that?

Go punch them in their stupid face right now.

On it.

*punches Lenny in the back of the head*

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

mikeraskol posted:

You seem to be reaching pretty hard based on just a flash of a scene in a trailer with no context.
Are you telling me that you're not combing and re-combing through every pixel and frame of this video in slow motion hi-def detail over and over again?

That's weird man.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

http://fyeahsupermanandloislane.tumblr.com/post/152692985312/clarklois-superman-i-dianasteve-wonder

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Doctor Strange was good. Not great though. The threat was far too vague and there was way too much poppy flashy whizbag effects scenes. The story was well paced and Cumberbundtcake was excellent in the role.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I'm not a big fan of Doctor Strange comics but I just got out of the movie and loved it. The New York chase and the Hong Kong battle were amazing. I also loved the final confrontation and how it played out. All the featured leads were great. I also loved the score and have Strange's theme stuck in my head. That's a first for a Marvel movie.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Hong Kong battle and the final confrontation elevate the movie for me. They're just incredible.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
The final battle is really great and Dr Strange comic booky

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
I saw Strange tonight and I was fairly disappointed. I wouldn't say it was bad, just very middle of the road.

My main issue is how the movie had this constant need to undercut nearly every good dramatic scene or action sequence with pointless slapstick or a snarky joke. The cloak wiping Strange's tears, the cloak beating the Dormammu goon to death in the background, Wong's laugh at the end of the final fight, etc, etc. It just felt so forced and awkward. I also hated how they've tried to turn the Cloak into this sentient pet thing, mostly for laughs. IMO, it's also a wasted opportunity to have only used the cosmic Ditko visuals for two sequences; the "Open your Eye" scene and the final fight. The mirror dimension folding plane stuff is fine, but it comes off as boring and unimaginative when you show it right after the Ditko stuff. My other complaint would be Cumberbatch doing a mediocre RDJr impression for the entire movie, Mordo being sparsely utilized, and the stupid Thor credits sequence.

Other than that, I really liked the Dormammu confrontation. That was really cool and clever. Rachel McAdams and Benedict Wong did fine, given their small roles. The score was actually kind of memorable, which was a nice surprise.

And the new Marvel Studios intro looks awful, it's just lovely promo art and movie clips. What a weird thing to change.

Big Mean Jerk fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Nov 4, 2016

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Loved Doctor Strange. Anyone else catch a glimpse of Nico Minoru's staff?

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.
I loved the movie. I felt like the moments of levity kept it from being too serious about itself, Tilda was amazing and every action/visual set piece was just pure joy. In particular, as many people have already mentioned, the Hong Kong fight and the final confrontation were truly spectacular. The New York chase was also mind blowing.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Also, I'm like 95% sure that Mordo called the first weapon he used when training Strange The Staff of The Living Tribunal making it my favorite Easter Egg in the film if correct. And if not correct I'm pretending I am anyway.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
You know, I've been rewatching Sucker Punch, and it makes me think about what a shame it is I really hate Zack Snyder's DCU, considering Sucker Punch and the Watchmen movie are two of my favorite films of all time. I wish he could break free because it feels like his talent is being squandered where he's at and by the end of the ride he may not get much work after.

X-O posted:

Also, I'm like 95% sure that Mordo called the first weapon he used when training Strange The Staff of The Living Tribunal making it my favorite Easter Egg in the film if correct. And if not correct I'm pretending I am anyway.

Wait, does that mean it's a staff that was used by the Living Tribunal or a staff that's merely connected to him somehow? Because I'm pretty sure if it's the former that's waaaaaay too powerful.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

WickedHate posted:

Wait, does that mean it's a staff that was used by the Living Tribunal or a staff that's merely connected to him somehow? Because I'm pretty sure if it's the former that's waaaaaay too powerful.

I think it's the MCU version of the Staff of Polar Power, an item used by the Tribunal once or twice and something Strange has used to defeat Mordo before. It siphons mystic energy from enemies.

Big Mean Jerk fucked around with this message at 08:53 on Nov 4, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popeahuntis
Apr 10, 2009

I saw Mr Dr Strange in IMAX 3D t'other day and can honestly say it's worth the extra to see it in 3D.
The film itself is kinda wrought with mediocrity in several areas but is saved by some amazing visuals, some decent characterisation here or there and also one of the best scores from Marvel Studios.
Also seconding the new Marvel Studios opener is a bit naff

• Locked thread