Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
Because voters are screened for felony status or other flags prior to voting as opposed to afterwards, it's unlikely that there is even a standard mechanism for determining that the vote shouldn't have counted.

Even still, he wasn't a felon when he cast his vote, so for no reason other than logic I assume that the vote would count regardless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

If he votes democrat, he will become part of the voter fraud statistics provided by the republican party.

But for real on that note, I recall a more in-depth look at that, that some significant portion of the tiny number of "fraudulent voters" were people who voted on their way to becoming felons, and what I recall from the analysis at the time was that because of that, they weren't actually fraudulent.

Arkhamina
Mar 30, 2008

Arkham Whore.
Fallen Rib
One of the sad/ironic things I am tasked to do is have 17 year olds on adult probation sign that Voter Ineligibility form. Youngest person I've processed in adult probation was 15.

patentmagus
May 19, 2013

Bad Munki posted:

If he votes democrat, he will become part of the voter fraud statistics provided by the republican party.

But for real on that note, I recall a more in-depth look at that, that some significant portion of the tiny number of "fraudulent voters" were people who voted on their way to becoming felons, and what I recall from the analysis at the time was that because of that, they weren't actually fraudulent.

The voter fraud statistics are weird because no one really considers what it takes for a case of voter fraud to become a statistic.

For example, consider those old time sodomy laws. Based on the number of convictions, hardly anyone had ever been blown.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

http://www.omaha.com/money/nouvelle-eve-adds-to-legal-drama-from-m-s-pub/article_b484b079-0549-54f2-8a84-23b0e08b1ad8.html

Some fiber workers ruptured a gas line that caused a restaurant to burn down. Because they were displaced and their property ruined, condo and shop owners in adjacent buildings sued the fiber companies for negligence.

What benefit would there be to doing this rather than making a claim on your homeowner's and letting your insurance co duke it out with them?

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

NancyPants posted:

http://www.omaha.com/money/nouvelle-eve-adds-to-legal-drama-from-m-s-pub/article_b484b079-0549-54f2-8a84-23b0e08b1ad8.html

Some fiber workers ruptured a gas line that caused a restaurant to burn down. Because they were displaced and their property ruined, condo and shop owners in adjacent buildings sued the fiber companies for negligence.

What benefit would there be to doing this rather than making a claim on your homeowner's and letting your insurance co duke it out with them?

Not a lawyer, but they may not have had loss of use/business interruption coverage.

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.
Any number of reasons. More money, loss profits, convinced by a plaintiff attorney, your insurance suing on your behalf to recoup insurance payout, your insurance refusing to payout on it, etc

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
I realize this is a very by-the-state/county question but just in general: How difficult is it to get a court/judge to take online threats/harassment (from someone in the same city/county) seriously to get an RO?

I'm just imagining trying to convince 74 year old Judge Higgenmeyer III that "meatus420_weed_lord_" is a serious enough problem to warrant legal intervention.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Javid posted:

I realize this is a very by-the-state/county question but just in general: How difficult is it to get a court/judge to take online threats/harassment (from someone in the same city/county) seriously to get an RO?

I'm just imagining trying to convince 74 year old Judge Higgenmeyer III that "meatus420_weed_lord_" is a serious enough problem to warrant legal intervention.

Depends on the judge. The hardest part to me would be proving that he was the person who posted said things on the interwebs. I've seen people prosecuted for death threats on the internet, but this is California so we are maybe more up on our technology.

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

Also depends on what you want to do about it. Prosecute him? Sue him in civil court? Have the police pay him a visit?

All three have varying levels of difficulty in getting them to do anything and getting any lasting results. Also depends on circumstances. Are you a black guy getting harassed by a neo nazi trump supporter? Is it your kid getting harassed? Are you a grown man getting harassed on twitter?

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

EwokEntourage posted:

Also depends on what you want to do about it. Prosecute him? Sue him in civil court? Have the police pay him a visit?

All three have varying levels of difficulty in getting them to do anything and getting any lasting results. Also depends on circumstances. Are you a black guy getting harassed by a neo nazi trump supporter? Is it your kid getting harassed? Are you a grown man getting harassed on twitter?

He wants a civil restraining order, which is an enforceable court order to not come within X feet of him. If the person violates it, they go to jail.

It would depend on the harassment (it would almost certainly need to be threats), and it would sure help if the harasser has actually met the OP in person.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

My end goal is that they're legally prohibited from my physical proximity and from contacting me in any way. At that point either he follows it and I get what I want, or he doesn't and he goes to jail, which would solve the problem in a different manner. If the gun he claims to own gets confiscated that's a bonus but I don't think non-domestic ROs trigger that restriction. (His existing criminal record may or may not already bar him from gun ownership; I want that question to pass through the courthouse, too)

I'm calling legal aid type places here when they're open tomorrow, but I harbor a suspicion that this is supposed to be a DIY type process.

Let's say "meatus420weedlord" is also in his facebook URL, with the "420" tattooed on him if there were any doubts, and his real name on there matches the name on the criminal record info I turned up, and obviously the photos are the same guy. Is that likely to be sufficient to prove the correct person is being filed against?

(It's not actually something stupidly common like 420)

There have been veiled threats, and the guy has physically shown up at my/other people I know's residence and refused to leave. If it was just hot air I wouldn't give it this much thought.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

That doesn't sound like evidence that that dude is who you say he is if he denies making those statements (but he also might be stupid).
Also, veld threats aren't always enough. Showing up at your house probably helps though
Permanent ROs are actually a pretty big deal (and do take away your guns in CA at least) and judges are careful when granting them.

I do recommend an attorney if you actually want this to stick

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

What kind of attorney does this stuff?

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Javid posted:

What kind of attorney does this stuff?

Family law or criminal generally.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

Thanks. I'll start there.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Javid posted:

Thanks. I'll start there.

Legal aid might also be able to help depending on the circumstances, so you might start there if you have an income that would qualify.

Note that if he's done anything criminal threats like, the easiest way to get an RO is if he gets charged with a crime against you. Probably unlikely given only veiled threats though. If he says anything serious and you believe him to own a gun and knows where he lives, do not hesitate to call the police. This depends on how bored the local PD is. LAPD's probably not going to care, for example.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

From my legal aid experience, you're most likely to get assistance there if it's a DV situation. But in Texas, the DA office has independent authority to seek protective orders if you apply for them. They're also only likely to do so in the event of past physical domestic violence, but you might call your local DA to see if they have a process. Doing this pro se is really tricky, and if you can afford a lawyer, it's definitely worth running down your legal aid and DA office options.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Azuth0667 posted:

There is a company that keeps calling my cellphone to try and sell me health insurance and has been doing this for nearly a year. This number is enrolled in the Federal Do Not Call Registry. I've never done business with this company before and its employees don't follow any of the laws related to telemarketing. This company was operating under a fictitious name and I managed to track down the LLC behind the name using the Department of State's database. The information I found included the registered agent and authorized persons. Basically I want this company to stop calling me and be held accountable for their actions. What should my next step be?

https://complaints.donotcall.gov/complaint/complaintcheck.aspx

Then block the number.

You're overthinking this. It's gonna happen. Don't get your panties in a twist over it. Report and block.

Arkhamina
Mar 30, 2008

Arkham Whore.
Fallen Rib
Something we were discussing in the office this week... We had a client with (supposedly) 8 children with 5 different moms. First time I have seen a judge write special probation orders to take a class in Birth control.

How does court ordered child support work when there are that many Payees? Every kid gets a check for 10$, or some sort of order of need/1st in, first paid thing?

Comedy note: He really didn't know the term birth control. I explained it meant using a rubber to not have more kids. Garnishing unlikely, too as his conviction was Possession w/ intent Coca.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

I dunno about where you are, but in California that term has been found unconstitutional. Can't recall if it was a federal or state case.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

I'm hoping that it's unconstitutional to call it birth control but not to require a family planning class.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
In California? Probably both.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Birth control is known to the state of California to cause cancer

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

Cancer is known to the state of California to cause cancer

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

nm posted:

I dunno about where you are, but in California that term has been found unconstitutional. Can't recall if it was a federal or state case.

I thought that case was about actually requiring the use of birth control, not requiring a class?

nm
Jan 28, 2008

ulmont posted:

I thought that case was about actually requiring the use of birth control, not requiring a class?

I apparently misread and thought it was birth control, not a class in.

However, the class would also likely not be legal as it has no nexus to the charge of possession.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

nm posted:

I apparently misread and thought it was birth control, not a class in.

However, the class would also likely not be legal as it has no nexus to the charge of possession.

So if his charge was for failure to pay child support, would waiver of 4th Amendment rights as a condition of probation be unconstitutional as having no nexus to failure to pay child support?

nm
Jan 28, 2008

joat mon posted:

So if his charge was for failure to pay child support, would waiver of 4th Amendment rights as a condition of probation be unconstitutional as having no nexus to failure to pay child support?

I've had that term dropped from some charges for that reason. Like a reckless driving or something.

Arkhamina
Mar 30, 2008

Arkham Whore.
Fallen Rib
It's Wisconsin, and it was a class, not 'use'. In probation, as part of the plea, and orders of the court, I regularly copy down specifics like 'not to be in any resale shops' 'not to be within 3 blocks of _____ street', 'Agent to do random searches of home and car for weapons'. I also see 'no physical discipline of any child' way too often. The big, standard boiler plate stuff is covered by one of 3 sets of standard rules, Domestic violence, Alcohol and drug, Standard, supplemented with sex offender rules.

Anyway, didn't want to derail, and I'm not even an agent, was just curious how max garnish worked on a flock of kids in different households.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Arkhamina posted:

It's Wisconsin, and it was a class, not 'use'. In probation, as part of the plea, and orders of the court, I regularly copy down specifics like 'not to be in any resale shops' 'not to be within 3 blocks of _____ street', 'Agent to do random searches of home and car for weapons'. I also see 'no physical discipline of any child' way too often. The big, standard boiler plate stuff is covered by one of 3 sets of standard rules, Domestic violence, Alcohol and drug, Standard, supplemented with sex offender rules.

Anyway, didn't want to derail, and I'm not even an agent, was just curious how max garnish worked on a flock of kids in different households.

I think here the State makes up the difference and puts it on dad's 'tab' to be paid...forever.

nm posted:

I've had that term dropped from some charges for that reason. Like a reckless driving or something.
Nice.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
My wife knew someone in Oregon who was dumb enough to get knocked up by a guy who already had 3 kids he wasn't caring for, and supposedly there is the assumption that you can only garnish up to x% of someone's inxome, and that it is "first in time, first in line." Then again, she wasn't so bright (see above) and he had a habit of finding a new employer (sometimes under the table) whenever the court got around to garnishing so she may have had the details wrong.

ilysespieces
Oct 5, 2009

When life becomes too painful, sometimes it's better to just become a drunk.
This came up at work and I got busy and couldn't Google. Now that I'm home I can't find all that much or I'm not searching for the right things. This is specifically in NY but I'm curious how it is elsewhere. A child is adopted, his biological mom dies, is he entitled to any of the estate if she has no will?

One coworker said yes, our boss said no, but neither was around to discuss it so we never understood why each thinks that way.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
What kind of lawyer would a theoretical creditor in a theoretical bankruptcy case need? Do bankruptcy lawyers typically work both sides?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Creditor in a bankruptcy is a bad position

Seriously weight the cost benefit analysis of the attempt of collecting anything.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.

ilysespieces posted:

This came up at work and I got busy and couldn't Google. Now that I'm home I can't find all that much or I'm not searching for the right things. This is specifically in NY but I'm curious how it is elsewhere. A child is adopted, his biological mom dies, is he entitled to any of the estate if she has no will?

One coworker said yes, our boss said no, but neither was around to discuss it so we never understood why each thinks that way.

Here are the relevant statutes. As far as I can tell, the biological child is entitled to a share of the estate in this situation.

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

Guy Axlerod posted:

What kind of lawyer would a theoretical creditor in a theoretical bankruptcy case need? Do bankruptcy lawyers typically work both sides?

You need one that does creditor's rights. They might do both, but they more likely specialize in it.

If the debtor is an individual, you're likely out of luck

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

This is why I insist on liquidation preferences when I loan friends money.

ilysespieces
Oct 5, 2009

When life becomes too painful, sometimes it's better to just become a drunk.

Konstantin posted:

Here are the relevant statutes. As far as I can tell, the biological child is entitled to a share of the estate in this situation.

Awesome, thanks, I'll bring this to work tomorrow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Subjunctive posted:

This is why I insist on liquidation preferences when I loan friends money.

LOL if you give any kind of credit that isn't for necessaries for the voyage of the vessels to any of your "friends".

:sureboat: