Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you like Alien 3 "Assembly Cut"?
Yes, Alien 3 "Assembly Cut" was tits.
No, Alien and Aliens are the only valid Alien films.
Nah gently caress you Alien 3 sucks in all its forms.
View Results

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

BOAT SHOWBOAT posted:

Resurrection is better than Alien 3. After Alien, Prometheus and Aliens respectively, it's the fourth best film on the series.
Fine, I'll bite: why is Resurrection better than 3?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Resurrection is more fun, its not as bleak and dire as Alien 3, and the xeno effects are consistently better than Alien 3's. I don't think either film is particularly good, but obviously for very different reasons. If I were going to watch one or the other it would depend completely on my current mood.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Groovelord Neato posted:

lol i like how it had a penis vagina that had to be digitally removed.

See the aliens just wanna Quasi face/mind rape you. The white alien seemed like it literally wanted to rape humans.

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

"To be quite frank, Platinum sucks at making games. Vanquish was terrible and Metal Gear Rising: Revengance was so boring it put me to sleep."

BOAT SHOWBOAT posted:

Cool so Prometheus was a remake of AvP and Covenant will be a remake of Resurrection.

Resurrection is better than Alien 3. After Alien, Prometheus and Aliens respectively, it's the fourth best film on the series.

Ah. Good. Now I know that I don't have to take your advice seriously. You had me going for a while there, you jokester! :)

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

who do you carry the torch for, my young man?
Part of recognising what makes Resurrection better is to understand that 3 is not as fact underrated but overrated. People see genius that isn't there because they like David Fincher and read the interesting ideas behind the movie like Vincent Ward's script into the actual movie.

But as a film - ignoring the production history and just looking at it as a movie, it isn't very good. I like Fincher as much as the next guy but I don't really like the movie's aesthetic. There are some positive aspects to the cinematography but you can also experience all of them in Samuel Bayer's 4-minute "Smells Like Teen Spirit" video rather than wasting two hours on Alien 3. Fincher didn't come into his own as a feature film director until Se7en. We can blame studio meddling and surely that's a huge part of it, but I also think he just became a better director and knew how to work with actors more to that point. People point to Alien 3's nihilism as a positive point but why? You have to earn nihilism and the movie has nothing interesting underpinning it. The start of the film totally undermines the victories of the last film, and never justifies that either. So it's a film that starts the viewer off on a bad note and just keeps being a world you don't want to spend any time on.

Resurrection on the other hand, I don't want to be mistaken as suggesting that it's brilliant. It isn't. Joss Whedon's script and dialogue is passable at best although ultimately I don't hate the core idea of Ripley being a clone. Weaver is key to the franchise's success and if they were going to find a way to bring her back, this is a better one. It also leads to one of the most horrific scenes in the entire franchise with the Ripley clones. As mentioned above the creature designs are good too. I think it's a lot more competently directed and I actually enjoy Jeunet's aesthetic throughout most of the film.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i feel like 3 gets graded on a curve due to having an insanely troubled production. and man if you read some of the scripts they didn't use that's a helluva curve.

resurrection is just bad on all fronts tho. at least 3 sorta feels like an alien flick.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Alien Resurrection is completely uninteresting because Weyland Yutani is gone. WY is just as important to the series as Ripley. Who do we get in A:R? Some goofball off the grid general and 5 mostly faceless scientists. A:R disregards WY entirely for a dumb walmart joke. Even if you hate the beginning and middle of A3, which I can sorta understand but dont agree with , the last 10minutes is much more interesting than anything in A:R.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

http://www.digitalspy.com/movies/alien/news/a812792/alien-covenant-michael-fassbender-two-characters/

Fassbender playing two parts and Danny McBride! A bit more plot details, or at least it's news to me.

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

Haha the second android is transparently a way to retcon Fassbender losing his body without breaking canon

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Right...just like Bishop2 did for Bishop 1 in Alien 3?

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

YOU'RE loving OUT A loving ALIEN!

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Baronjutter posted:

http://www.digitalspy.com/movies/alien/news/a812792/alien-covenant-michael-fassbender-two-characters/

Fassbender playing two parts and Danny McBride! A bit more plot details, or at least it's news to me.

Cool, just like they super spoiler David being an android for Prometheus. This is Ridley's punch in James Cameron's face! It's an Aliens remake.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Nov 2, 2016

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

BOAT SHOWBOAT posted:

Haha the second android is transparently a way to retcon Fassbender losing his body without breaking canon

It could be more than that though. Its possible a new version of David meets the original head and maybe the head teaches him a thing or two.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

They took David's body with them on the ship. I'm sure Shaw figured out how to put it back on.

Electromax
May 6, 2007

Tenzarin posted:

Cool, just like they super spoiler David being an android for Prometheus. This is Ridley's punch in James Cameron's face! It's an Aliens remake.

For as much as you hate Prometheus, you might just wanna ignore this movie from the get-go - you'll save yourself months of pre-, during- and post- release agitation.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
How the hell is David being an android in Prometheus a "spoiler"? Its a plot point from literally the first 5 minutes of the movie. There was nothing to spoil. That's like saying they spoiled that the movie is in space by showing a spaceship in the trailer. Its not some required element in every Alien film that there be an android masquerading as a human.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Basebf555 posted:

How the hell is David being an android in Prometheus a "spoiler"? Its a plot point from literally the first 5 minutes of the movie. There was nothing to spoil. That's like saying they spoiled that the movie is in space by showing a spaceship in the trailer. Its not some required element in every Alien film that there be an android masquerading as a human.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Basebf555 posted:

Some people are actually borderline mentally ill on what they consider a "spoiler". I had someone get mad at me because I mentioned a loving interface feature in an upcoming strategy game because "spoilers".
"I don't even want to know what genre this is, I don't even want to know if it's a movie or book or media at all! Spoilers!!!"

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

SMERSH Mouth posted:

What could it possibly do with the secondary, anterior face vagina?

Finally, a big budget cinematic depiction of a facehugger delivering the Jersey Shocker.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Basebf555 posted:

It technically doesn't get said for 15 minutes in Prometheus.

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

Tenzarin posted:

The film's great viral marketing was completely transparent about David being an android, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qgJs7uluwlU. Clearly not every, or even most people who saw Prometheus would have watched this, but it's not at-all a twist or even a "reveal" in the context of the movie, in the way that finding out Ash is a robot in the original Alien is.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

the name david is a spoiler.

ash, bishop, call...

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Tenzarin posted:

I notice you said "technically", because you obviously realize that the opening scene on the Prometheus makes it extremely clear that David is an android.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Basebf555 posted:

I notice you said "technically", because you obviously realize that the opening scene on the Prometheus makes it extremely clear that David is an android.

Maybe he was just some guy who woke up early. This movie was most likely made for people who don't watch aliens movies.

Basebf555 posted:

Its not some required element in every Alien film that there be an android masquerading as a human.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Tenzarin posted:

Maybe he was just some guy who woke up early. This movie was most likely made for people who don't watch aliens movies.

Maybe not Alien movies specifically, but the movie was made for sci-fi fans, probably even moreso than any of Scott's earlier work in the genre. I think the production design is proof enough of that.

The opening scene had multiple different cues to a genre fan that David is an android. How many sci fi fans are there anyway that don't watch this series?

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

A lot of people who had never seen an Alien film watched Prometheus.

Its the highest grossing film of the franchise

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Box office is irrelevant, Alien is almost 40 years old and countless people have seen it since its theatrical run.

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

Box office is irrelevant, Alien is almost 40 years old and countless people have seen it since its theatrical run.

Yeah true, but I was just pointing out that that it was a genuine blockbuster in its own right not just as an Alien prequel, and also anecdotally I know people who saw it but have never seen an Alien film.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

BOAT SHOWBOAT posted:

Yeah true, but I was just pointing out that that it was a genuine blockbuster in its own right not just as an Alien prequel, and also anecdotally I know people who saw it but have never seen an Alien film.

I wonder if any of them didn't realize David was a robot in the opening scene. I doubt it.

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

I wonder if any of them didn't realize David was a robot in the opening scene. I doubt it.

We agree there

brocked
Oct 25, 2005

All shall love me and despair!
is there a different cut of Prometheus? the opening scene I saw had an Engineer sacrifice himself to make DNA, then Lisbeth Salander finds early evidence of life... man, that film looks gorgeous I think I need to watch it again

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I heard there was a cut where the movie was actually good ehehehehehehehehrheh

Electromax
May 6, 2007

oldpainless posted:

I heard there was a cut where the movie was actually good ehehehehehehehehrheh

He means a non-theatrical cut.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

brocked posted:

is there a different cut of Prometheus? the opening scene I saw had an Engineer sacrifice himself to make DNA, then Lisbeth Salander finds early evidence of life... man, that film looks gorgeous I think I need to watch it again

No but there were a bunch of really good deleted scenes that shouldve been left in.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

brocked posted:

No different cut, but there are alternate versions of a few crucial scenes that definitely would have changed the movie quite a bit.

There's an alternate opening, where the Engineer sacrifices himself, and an alternate ending, where the last surviving Engineer speaks in subtitles so the audience can understand what its saying. Personally I prefer the alternate opening, and the original ending. I'd have liked a little more information up front, but not too much at the end. The alternate ending has a lot less mystery to it, which I don't like.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 222 days!
I like knowing what David and the Engineer say, especially the extended conversation. I'm not sure it would make for a better film to have those included though.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Hodgepodge posted:

I like knowing what David and the Engineer say, especially the extended conversation. I'm not sure it would make for a better film to have those included though.

The movie is so bad, all those deleted scenes could not make it any worse.

NarkyBark
Dec 7, 2003

one funky chicken
A scene I def would've kept in was one where the captain discusses a previous mission he had. It makes his exposition dump later on at least not be so random. I also preferred the alien Fiefeld creature, much creepier looking. I also like the extended engineer-Shaw sequence at the end. Doesn't do anything for the story but makes it feel not so rushed.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

NarkyBark posted:

A scene I def would've kept in was one where the captain discusses a previous mission he had. It makes his exposition dump later on at least not be so random. I also preferred the alien Fiefeld creature, much creepier looking. I also like the extended engineer-Shaw sequence at the end. Doesn't do anything for the story but makes it feel not so rushed.

The alien fiefeld should've been left in for sure, I loved that his suit was fusing to his body too, evoking the bio-organic giger feel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 222 days!

Tenzarin posted:

The movie is so bad, all those deleted scenes could not make it any worse.

Your opinion is registered and will be taken into account at the great battle at the end of time to determine if Prometheus is a good movie or not.