Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
beejay
Apr 7, 2002

Man the gif of Bryant on the last out and that Rizzo one make me well up all over again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheChaosPath
Jul 22, 2005

IcePhoenix posted:

It definitely happened at some point.

Yeah he had his hands on his head I think

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Does anybody have a good gif of Dex's homer in the first? I missed it because I'm a bad fan and don't deserve a winning team.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
https://twitter.com/ARizzo44/status/794283663387201536

:allears:

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

This one? I don't see the "oh my god" part, but it was in the 10th at 3rd base.

That one is great but I swear I saw a shot of him saying "Oh my God!"

Maybe it was in a replay or recap.

I remember it being a fairly tight shot of his head and shoulders with his face towards the camera.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
https://twitter.com/D_Ross3/status/794094687581851649

Gonna miss you so bad, grandpa

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Friendly reminder to fellow Cubs posters that if you're buying WS items off MLB/Fanatics' sites, you can get a 25% off code from 20 oz Dr. Pepper bottles. You have to send in a photo of the UPC via text and it takes a few hours to get the code but a $1.79 bottle is well worth it. I saved about $70 off my order.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
https://twitter.com/ManuclearBomb/status/794220135888416768

https://twitter.com/EliGieryna/status/794046235694940160

I love Heyward, so goddamn much. Think I might buy a Jersey gotta support a black man(since Dex is probably gone :smith:)

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Dexo posted:

I love Heyward, so goddamn much. Think I might buy a Jersey gotta support a black man(since Dex is probably gone :smith:)

It's to bad the Heyward and Dex contracts can't be switched.

It's also to bad that the Cubs have a plethora of outfielders right now which means we won't throw a truckload of money at Fowler when he really deserves it.

You go, we go Dex.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

Gonna miss you so bad, grandpa

I remember literally a year ago when every Cubs fan here was screaming for Ross to get shot into a cannon, because his OPS+ in 2015 was like 40 or something like that and he just had a terrible, terrible year.

And then he rebounded to be actually pretty good. Way to say goodbye, old man. :unsmith:

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Timby posted:

I remember literally a year ago when every Cubs fan here was screaming for Ross to get shot into a cannon, because his OPS+ in 2015 was like 40 or something like that and he just had a terrible, terrible year.

And then he rebounded to be actually pretty good. Way to say goodbye, old man. :unsmith:

I choose my favorite players entirely on sentiment so I never have to get stats-mad :unsmith:

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 14 hours!

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

I didn't because the website wouldn't let me. My mom got a copy for me at her workplace in the suburbs. I posted on Facebook asking anyone if they could get an extra copy for me and my high school prom date of all people got me another one.

Can someone make this avatar sized for me please? I'll love you forever. Now should I call off work tomorrow to go to the parade? My wife can't go so I'll be alone

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

TMMadman posted:

It's to bad the Heyward and Dex contracts can't be switched.

It's also to bad that the Cubs have a plethora of outfielders right now which means we won't throw a truckload of money at Fowler when he really deserves it.

You go, we go Dex.

Meh. I think Heyward will be fine.

Looking at how this dude approached the season still playing elite defense, still 100% focused, still running the bases well. Still grinding, regardless of how loving inept he was on offense.

I severely doubt next year he's going to come back being unable to hit a goddamn 93 mph fastball.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Dexo posted:

Meh. I think Heyward will be fine.

Looking at how this dude approached the season still playing elite defense, still 100% focused, still running the bases well. Still grinding, regardless of how loving inept he was on offense.

I severely doubt next year he's going to come back being unable to hit a goddamn 93 mph fastball.

I'm in the same boat. Heyward had a rough year at the plate that wasn't helped at all by those injuries to his hand and wrist early in the season. It's not like he forgot how to hit just because he came to Chicago. He didn't suddenly transform into Corey Patterson, for heaven's sake.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
WSCR is replaying a slightly condensed radio call of the entire 10th inning right now.

http://player.radio.com/listen/station/670-the-score

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Bugsy posted:

WSCR is replaying a slightly condensed radio call of the entire 10th inning right now.

I wish Len Kasper had gotten to call that game.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

How I feel after I read what I post

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Bugsy posted:

I'm not lying about being stressed out listening to this, Dan!

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Bill Murray takes a load from Theo Epstein during the after party

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Dexo posted:

I Could never bring myself to actually dislike Heyward. Sure we all made jokes when he hit a soft roller to 2nd for the eight billionth time, but through it all he never phoned it in, never got disgruntled at the fans or the team, and I always felt like he was playing his heart out even if the results weren't up to par. And now in the end, he gives the team speech that pretty much the entire rest of the team attributes to turning them around in the 10th and leading to the win. The narrative was that Heyward needed a big hit to erase his 2016 regular season woes. He couldn't manage that, but he instead erased them by standing up at the last second and rallying the team to victory, which in a weird way feels much more poignant. I look forward to having him back next year :unsmith:

It'd be nice if he could fix his swing, though :v:

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus
Heading up to Chicago tomorrow for the parade and the rally. Anyone else going to be there?

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Timby posted:

I wish Len Kasper had gotten to call that game.

:sigh::hf::sigh:

He did get to call Javy's opposite field shot in the 5th at least.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

RC Cola posted:

Can someone make this avatar sized for me please? I'll love you forever. Now should I call off work tomorrow to go to the parade? My wife can't go so I'll be alone

Here you go!

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Sydin posted:

:sigh::hf::sigh:

He did get to call Javy's opposite field shot in the 5th at least.

I had a job interview this morning and the guy I interviewed with told me that his sister is married to Len Kasper.

I'm hoping that's a good sign.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
In 2015, the Angels kicked off the season against the Royals, who won the world series. In 2016, they started it off against the Cubs. In 2017, they're starting it off against the Mariners.

It is written.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I know this is entirely cliche, but gently caress, in the macro I cannot believe this really happened. I knew the Cubs were a better team than the Indians on a game-by-game basis, but being down 3-1 meant that there was no way they'd win game after game after game to actually win the series.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

MisterBibs posted:

I know this is entirely cliche, but gently caress, in the macro I cannot believe this really happened. I knew the Cubs were a better team than the Indians on a game-by-game basis, but being down 3-1 meant that there was no way they'd win game after game after game to actually win the series.

Indians pitching staff just ran out of steam in the end, I think. Tip your cap to Kluber - it's not easy to make three starts in nine days, all against the same team, and two on short rest. Both in terms of fatigue and letting the same hitters see you that much in such a small span of time, it's a marvel that he managed as well as you did. As much as I still think the Cubs are/were the better team by pure talent, I'm just imagining a scenario where Carrasco and Salazar are healthy, and the Indians can field a four man rotation without ever having to lean on the injured Bauer. Put the Cubs down 3-1 in those circumstances, and I'm not sure if the result would have been the same.

Chapman and Miller both were also obviously gassed from how much they'd been utilized the whole post season. Makes you wonder how Jansen would have looked if the Dodgers had made it - given how heavily Roberts leaned on him. The world series ended up being a war of attrition more than anything else,

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

seiferguy posted:

In 2015, the Angels kicked off the season against the Royals, who won the world series. In 2016, they started it off against the Cubs. In 2017, they're starting it off against the Mariners.

It is written.

I wholeheartedly subscribe to this magical thinking.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

An interesting thought is how much of Cleveland's success was because of their injuries to some of their starting staff. If they are healthy Tito probably doesn't lean as hard on his lights out bullpen and its possible those pitchers dump runs in circumstances where the bullpen did not. Regardless Cleveland put up a hell of a fight. They fielded a really really good team.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

ChesterJT posted:

Heading up to Chicago tomorrow for the parade and the rally. Anyone else going to be there?

Heck yeah. It is going to be nuuuuts.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

oh my god

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

IcePhoenix posted:

It definitely happened at some point.

Found it!

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

artificially stocked lake posted:

This was a really good Game 7 but yeah Twins/Braves is still better for the nervefactor of a scoreless game after 9 innings plus Jack Morris' 10 inning complete game shutout. Not a single starter made it to the 6th inning in this series which is p hosed up imo.
I was thinking about this, would anybody let Morris go 10 today? If you were blind to the result, is there actually an argument that it was a mistake?

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Yeah, that's one. That is just amazing.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

anyone know where i can watch the game again? i swear i'm going to watch it like every month til the day i die

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Hey RC Cola, check your PMs. I sent the gift certificate code to you.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Abel Wingnut posted:

anyone know where i can watch the game again? i swear i'm going to watch it like every month til the day i die

I think they are showing it on MLB Network right now.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
So hey Cubs.

Using Schwarber as the DH was pretty nice, right?

Maybe you guys should start doing that all the time!

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

TMMadman posted:

I think they are showing it on MLB Network right now.

i own neither cable nor tv

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ajkalan
Aug 17, 2011

http://mlb.nbcsports.com/2016/11/03/game-7-was-the-most-watched-baseball-game-in-15-years/

"Seventy-one percent of all people watching TV in Chicago had Game 7 on. Sixty-nine percent of all people watching TV in Cleveland were tuned in. Nice."

lol

• Locked thread