Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Autism
Jul 1, 2009

FREEDOM
INCARNATE

BernieLomax posted:

I hate bikeshedding usually, but gamers + controversy takes it to another level.

The only bikeshedding going on here revolves around the petulance of a bunch of babies who are mad that somebody deigned to write a critique pertaining to gender and sexuality in games. It's not like the piece argued that this is the ~end of the world~ or anything. Suggesting it's worth consideration isn't bikeshedding; there's nothing trivial about something that—whether or not it came from anecdotes or what have you—reflects gross attitudes towards incredibly gendered conceptions of sexuality in its current incarnation.

We see it happen every time people try to explore these topics. The aversion to both context and thought itself is just pathetic and sad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Autism posted:

The only bikeshedding going on here revolves around the petulance of a bunch of babies who are mad that somebody deigned to write a critique pertaining to gender and sexuality in games. It's not like the piece argued that this is the ~end of the world~ or anything. Suggesting it's worth consideration isn't bikeshedding; there's nothing trivial about something that—whether or not it came from anecdotes or what have you—reflects gross attitudes towards incredibly gendered conceptions of sexuality in its current incarnation.

We see it happen every time people try to explore these topics. The aversion to both context and thought itself is just pathetic and sad.

I might argue that "game produces equal options to end user but uses boolean flag to implement feature therefore code is inherently sexist" is about as sensible criticism as "Y chromosome does not contain full information to produce viable human therefore sexism is actually entirely against men despite observable evidence"

It's not the best anectode I would have chosen to illustrate the possibility of worthwhile criticism.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Autism posted:

The main aversion is that there are tons of platforms to discuss these topics on where the discussion matters and is done with people who are familiar with the subject matter and data surrounding it

A gaming website is not and never has been one of those places

Neither is a dead gay comedy forum's games thread

TheSwizzler
May 13, 2005

LETTIN THE CAT OUTTA THE BAG
devs a doof but game is good so imma keep playing it

edit: if the sinister ess jay dub cabal makes him fix the angry lonely gay death spiral problem then i guess its all cool have my patreon bux

TheSwizzler fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Nov 3, 2016

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual
The most effective form of disagreement: buying me an AV/Title that in no way reflects what I've said or believe.

Autism
Jul 1, 2009

FREEDOM
INCARNATE

OwlFancier posted:

I might argue that "game produces equal options to end user but uses boolean flag to implement feature therefore code is inherently sexist" is about as sensible criticism as "Y chromosome does not contain full information to produce viable human therefore sexism is actually entirely against men despite observable evidence"

It's not the best anectode I would have chosen to illustrate the possibility of worthwhile criticism.

For christ's sake, this isn't an argument about code being inherently sexist. That's such a bafflingly un-nuanced interpretation of any of this.

It's a worthwhile example as an introduction to the mode of analysis. Nowhere was it suggested that this represents that code (or the code itself) is inherently sexist, but rather that it is worth considering why the variable might be "isFemale=false" as opposed to "isMale=false." Hell, the use of a variable that asserts and perpetuates a binary is similarly worthy of consideration  — particularly in the context of an industry that absolutely adores that framework for gender.

If we examine the option in the context of the industry as a whole, we see an attitude that is most certainly reflected elsewhere. While I'll give Nintendo (Maxis, too, amongst a small few others) credit for not doing this, we often see customization options (hair, clothing, etc) that are restricted on the basis of sex, reflecting a conflation of gender identity or presentation with how one is bodied. This implicitly problematizes forms of expression that are conceived of as transgressive or deviant through its outright restriction. If the game itself represents the fantasy of the developer, said fantasy suggests the acceptability of this sort of behavior.

Is it just a video game? Sure. Is Tynan a dirty nazi? No, nor is Rimworld a bad game. Is anyone being violently oppressed by a line of code? No, but that doesn't mean it exists in a vacuum or outside the context of ideology.

Coolguye posted:

The main aversion is that there are tons of platforms to discuss these topics on where the discussion matters and is done with people who are familiar with the subject matter and data surrounding it

A gaming website is not and never has been one of those places

Neither is a dead gay comedy forum's games thread

A website that writes articles about games is most certainly a space for *gasp* articles about games.
I'm sorry that you want to avoid these sorts of discussions, but that's your (very, very dismissible) problem.

I'm going to drop this, but I still maintain that some of these attitudes are asinine. You don't want to read or engage with it? Then don't. That doesn't mean they shouldn't run the piece. "I don't care" and "It doesn't matter" are very different statements. That isn't a hard differentiation to make.

Autism fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Nov 3, 2016

Daynab
Aug 5, 2008

Dorkopotamis posted:

The most effective form of disagreement: buying me an AV/Title that in no way reflects what I've said or believe.

(That wasn't me btw, feel I should point this out since we've only been arguing.)

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Autism posted:

For christ's sake, this isn't an argument about code being inherently sexist. That's such a bafflingly un-nuanced interpretation of any of this.

It's a worthwhile example as an introduction to the mode of analysis. Nowhere was it suggested that this represents that code (or the code itself) is inherently sexist, but rather that it is worth considering why the variable might be "isFemale=false" as opposed to "isMale=false." Hell, the use of a variable that asserts and perpetuates a binary is similarly worthy of consideration  — particularly in the context of an industry that absolutely adores that framework for gender.

If we examine the option in the context of the industry as a whole, we see an attitude that is most certainly reflected elsewhere. While I'll give Nintendo (Maxis, too, amongst a small few others) credit for not doing this, we often see customization options (hair, clothing, etc) that are restricted on the basis of sex, reflecting a conflation of gender identity or presentation with how one is bodied. This implicitly problematizes forms of expression that are conceived of as transgressive or deviant through its outright restriction. If the game itself represents the fantasy of the developer, said fantasy suggests the acceptability of this sort of behavior.

Is it just a video game? Sure. Is Tynan a dirty nazi? No, nor is Rimworld a bad game. Is being violently oppressed by a line of code? No, but that doesn't mean it exists in a vacuum or outside the context of ideology.

Then I would suggest, if you are trying to perform a critical analysis of that attitude, you would be better served starting at the end result? And that criticizing variable names in code is perhaps one of the worst introductions to the validity and importance of that analysis?

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Someone has spent more on trying to own people with avatars than the cost of this game lmao

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

new phone who dis posted:

Plenty would, if they really wanted a discussion in the first place. Long form interviews are actually the best kind, and win the most awards. The writer of this piece could have actually improved their article by allowing it instead of digging their heels in. If every journalist is allowed that much control over their piece uncritically, where do they get off criticizing the work of others as needing to be changed?

Websites can be held responsible for what they publish, even if it's in an interview. They need to hold onto the right to edit if needed.

Mokinokaro fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Nov 3, 2016

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
hahhahaha lol

i guess theres some rich bisexuals out there :kiss:

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Baloogan posted:

hahhahaha lol

i guess theres some rich bisexuals out there :kiss:

Incorrect. there are no bisexuals out there.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
hahahah, holy poo poo, when I saw the thread title I assumed it was minor drama but this poo poo is gold

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009
Why are people bitching about bisexuality in a game where you can chop people's legs off to make it easier to harvest their organs? :confused:

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

hahahah, holy poo poo, when I saw the thread title I assumed it was minor drama but this poo poo is gold

Bet you're glad you don't have to sort out this shitshow.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

MadJackMcJack posted:

Why are people bitching about bisexuality in a game where you can chop people's legs off to make it easier to harvest their organs? :confused:

because if a game is gonna include sexuality it better do it loving right

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
having a "SEX SEX SEX!" update imo is great but seriously it better not break CCL or else I will scream

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

MadJackMcJack posted:

Bet you're glad you don't have to sort out this shitshow.

Oh this poo poo is all on tynan, he could've just said "game's in development, those are default values, users are free to mod them as they choose".

Honestly I haven't played this game since the alpha came out -- I got behind the game knowledge curve and Stonehearth has been more my speed. The biggest problem I've had in Stonehearth is designing tile mosaic patterns that didn't pop out into swastika designs (it's harder than you'd think).

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

Baloogan posted:

because if a game is gonna include sexuality it better do it loving right

So, removable reproductive organs, right?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Oh this poo poo is all on tynan, he could've just said "game's in development, those are default values, users are free to mod them as they choose".

Honestly I haven't played this game since the alpha came out -- I got behind the game knowledge curve and Stonehearth has been more my speed. The biggest problem I've had in Stonehearth is designing tile mosaic patterns that didn't pop out into swastika designs (it's harder than you'd think).

I was looking at stonehearth but it seemed really basic, what do you think of it?

Rougey
Oct 24, 2013
Golden title.

Took me a while to catch up, but when I did it clicked and I :allears:

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

MadJackMcJack posted:

So, removable reproductive organs, right?

i do want like, the possibility of pawns getting shot in the nuts as part of the gender update

i also do want birth control, abortions, and child rearing, screw tyarial or whatever his idiot name is if he can't do it
i want a "sex" need; and a moodlet Goon -10 if you don't get laid

next i want tylenol sylvester to implement religions in a hugely unpleasant way and get a fatwa on his dumb head

Autism
Jul 1, 2009

FREEDOM
INCARNATE
just let me export a screenshot of my whole map like in df
c'mon tynan. c'mon.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
oh i also want loving z layers and combat realism implementedi n the base game tia

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe
And here I was thinkin the gay trait just gave a small mood bump. Apparently it is worse than pessimist trait

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

OwlFancier posted:

I was looking at stonehearth but it seemed really basic, what do you think of it?

It's a basic sandbox, improving slowly, steadily, and professionally. There's a committed dev team that has its poo poo together.

The main thing is since it's got actual 3d graphics it takes a full dev team and progress is slow. It's been 3-6 months away from breakout-to-amazing for the past year.

Right now all the core elements are there but it's still a bit simplistic. Water physics are in game for example but there's no rivers, only ponds. Combat and armor and weapons and ranged combat are all in game but the gameplay doesn't have much depth yet and needs another pass.

Overall it's a fun sandbox for designing Pretty Forts and promises to be more in the future but the gameplay isn't addicting YET in the way Rimworld can be and there's not the same sense of challenge and failure you get in DF.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It's a basic sandbox, improving slowly, steadily, and professionally. There's a committed dev team that has its poo poo together.

The main thing is since it's got actual 3d graphics it takes a full dev team and progress is slow. It's been 3-6 months away from breakout-to-amazing for the past year.

Right now all the core elements are there but it's still a bit simplistic. Water physics are in game for example but there's no rivers, only ponds. Combat and armor and weapons and ranged combat are all in game but the gameplay doesn't have much depth yet and needs another pass.

Overall it's a fun sandbox for designing Pretty Forts and promises to be more in the future but the gameplay isn't addicting YET in the way Rimworld can be and there's not the same sense of challenge and failure you get in DF.

Guess I'll keep an eye on it then, the 3d building looks nice and I like things that do what DF does without the agonizing interface but I do sort of need some crunchy gameplay mechanics or I get bored.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

Mokinokaro posted:

Websites can be held responsible for what they publish, even if it's in an interview. They need to hold onto the right to edit if needed.

This has got to be the most pathetic loving excuse for not allowing someone to have their say I've ever heard. Meanwhile, he ended up saying it in the comments anyway. Here's an idea: If you want to be treated like a professional addressing serious issues, maybe you act like one when writing the story.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Baloogan posted:

oh i also want loving z layers and combat realism implementedi n the base game tia

I want Z-layers so I can build an imposing castle with mortar turrets on top of all the towers. Also boiling oil or something I guess??

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

new phone who dis posted:

This has got to be the most pathetic loving excuse for not allowing someone to have their say I've ever heard. Meanwhile, he ended up saying it in the comments anyway. Here's an idea: If you want to be treated like a professional addressing serious issues, maybe you act like one when writing the story.

Uhh bro, I dont know if you noticed, but most people in this thread are making fun of people who have this level of care....

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Jesus christ....

I just want to grow drugs and build a spaceship.

You think Toady had a problem like this in DF?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

OwlFancier posted:

Guess I'll keep an eye on it then, the 3d building looks nice and I like things that do what DF does without the agonizing interface but I do sort of need some crunchy gameplay mechanics or I get bored.

This thread here is about as far as I could push the Stonehearth mechanics right now:

https://discourse.stonehearth.net/t/maratas-the-city-in-the-stone-wip/21166

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius

I got halfway through my hydroponics layout in my current colony before realizing it was a swastika...

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Oh drat didnt realize this phone guy was natetimm. fly away, troll.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Hihohe posted:

Jesus christ....

I just want to grow drugs and build a spaceship.

You think Toady had a problem like this in DF?
Toady avoided any possible issues both with gameplay or commentary by having a fairly storybook version of romance where dwarves just bond together somewhat randomly, instead of trying to fit OKCupid and personal experiences into some hard coded system where instead of increasingly frantic messages asking why you stopped responding, the guys just strip their clothes off and run into the winter night.

Nut to Butt
Apr 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

zedprime posted:

Toady avoided any possible issues both with gameplay or commentary by having a fairly storybook version of romance where dwarves just bond together somewhat randomly, instead of trying to fit OKCupid and personal experiences into some hard coded system where instead of increasingly frantic messages asking why you stopped responding, the guys just strip their clothes off and run into the winter night.

lol

death to fragile frankie

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

This thread here is about as far as I could push the Stonehearth mechanics right now:

https://discourse.stonehearth.net/t/maratas-the-city-in-the-stone-wip/21166

:drat:

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Autism posted:

A website that writes articles about games is most certainly a space for *gasp* articles about games.
I'm sorry that you want to avoid these sorts of discussions, but that's your (very, very dismissible) problem.

I'm going to drop this, but I still maintain that some of these attitudes are asinine. You don't want to read or engage with it? Then don't. That doesn't mean they shouldn't run the piece. "I don't care" and "It doesn't matter" are very different statements. That isn't a hard differentiation to make.

Holmes look over your absurdly voluminous posts and take stock of how many sentences have games or gaming as the subject

It's a very small minority compared to all of your wild ravings about everything from code being literature to whatever the gently caress else you're pasting from Reddit, and no you are actually not talking about games or gaming

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

I'm patiently waiting for Tynan's next meltdown. It's problably going to be more :biotruths: , so my moneys on it being a 2000 word rant about race realism.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Control Volume posted:

Uhh bro, I dont know if you noticed, but most people in this thread are making fun of people who have this level of care....

Check his rap sheet for a laugh. He's really into "journalism ethics"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

Mokinokaro posted:

Check his rap sheet for a laugh. He's really into "journalism ethics"

A video game is oppressing my bisexuality!