Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JohnnySavs
Dec 28, 2004

I have all the characteristics of a human being.
Among others, Patchwork, Chicago Express ($25 and Prime shipping!) and Alhambra are on sale at Amazon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

Mage Knight full conquest with three to four players is the only way I can feel anything

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Dice Tower guys were doing a TI 3 live play and apparently Sam didn't know the rules despite it being his number one game, then threw a hissy fit when he wasn't winning, quit, and started playing on his phone. What a bunch of loving man children. I can't believe this stupid community gave these fucks a million dollars.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

Mikey Purp posted:

My friends and I would probably learn Mage Knight together, and we are the types who get a sick pleasure out of learning heavy games, so I don't think that would be a huge worry for us. We've had marathon game days where we've played A Game of Thrones back to back and enjoyed it. That being said, according to Boardgame Geek, Mage Knight is even heavier than AGoT, so if it's so complicated and long that the replayability is affected then maybe I will save that one for later.
You really should look into Terra Mystica. It's fairly heavy, but not as complex as something like Vinhos.

quote:

RE: 2 player games: actual board games and card games are both fine, I would say not longer than 30ish minutes a game. Co-op yes, abstract maybe not as much. Basically, I'm looking for games that are engaging but close to pick-up-and-play levels of easy.
Jaipur fits that, then.
Tash-Kalar and Hive would be my recommendations otherwise, but they are abstracts.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I can't play Terra Mystica anymore because 2 in my group are tournament level players of the digital version so their turns are like 20 minutes of trying literally every combination of moves to maximize points. I'd buy one of those chess timers if they weren't $50.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Mikey Purp posted:

My friends and I would probably learn Mage Knight together, and we are the types who get a sick pleasure out of learning heavy games, so I don't think that would be a huge worry for us. We've had marathon game days where we've played A Game of Thrones back to back and enjoyed it. That being said, according to Boardgame Geek, Mage Knight is even heavier than AGoT, so if it's so complicated and long that the replayability is affected then maybe I will save that one for later.

RE: 2 player games: actual board games and card games are both fine, I would say not longer than 30ish minutes a game. Co-op yes, abstract maybe not as much. Basically, I'm looking for games that are engaging but close to pick-up-and-play levels of easy.

Nothing easier than keeping two Yomi decks in your purse for 2p Gaming on the Go, my dude.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib

Bottom Liner posted:

Dice Tower guys were doing a TI 3 live play and apparently Sam didn't know the rules despite it being his number one game, then threw a hissy fit when he wasn't winning, quit, and started playing on his phone. What a bunch of loving man children. I can't believe this stupid community gave these fucks a million dollars.

Didn't he say he'd stay out of the public eye after he melted down during a stream of The Resistance or something?

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

unpronounceable posted:

Didn't he say he'd stay out of the public eye after he melted down during a stream of The Resistance or something?

Care to share a link? Sam Healey melt down has to be like a real life Francis.

dropkickpikachu
Dec 20, 2003

Ash: You sell rocks?
Flint: Pewter City souveneirs, you want to buy some?

unpronounceable posted:

I thought that was their friend who seems to be a charity case that they let do videos for them for some reason despite having negligible social skills.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

dropkickpikachu posted:

I thought that was their friend who seems to be a charity case that they let do videos for them for some reason despite having negligible social skills.

But Tom Vassal is Dice Tower?

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

dropkickpikachu posted:

their friend who seems to be a charity case that they let do videos for them for some reason despite having negligible social skills.

Thats a terrible thing to say about Tom Vassals daughters.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

JohnnySavs posted:

Chicago Express ($25 and Prime shipping!)

This is essentially an 18XX that plays in ~60 minutes, FYI

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

ketchup vs catsup posted:

This is essentially an 18XX that plays in ~60 minutes, FYI

It's a stock holding rail game but other than that it has nothing to do with 18xx. It's an auction game.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

unpronounceable posted:

That was Jason, their supersperg friend that makes the rest look socially adjusted (almost).

foxxtrot
Jan 4, 2004

Ambassador of
Awesomeness

Bottom Liner posted:

I could probably tolerate playing with Tom or Zee, but Sam.... Sam is a deeply unlikable person.

It's also fantastic he couldn't handle his own favorite game. He used to rave about TI3 constantly when I used to put their Top 10 lists on in the background.

bean mug
Nov 11, 2011

you think you can just say things to me?

Bottom Liner posted:

Yup, and every one will play differently each time. The Volkaire expansion increases this ten fold though, and is pretty much the best thing ever.

If I haven't played Mage Knight yet should I purchase it with the expansion, or just wait until I finish everything in the base box?

dropkickpikachu
Dec 20, 2003

foxxtrot posted:

I could probably tolerate playing with Tom or Zee, but Sam.... Sam is a deeply unlikable person.

It's also fantastic he couldn't handle his own favorite game. He used to rave about TI3 constantly when I used to put their Top 10 lists on in the background.

Zee is cool, he likes all the cool solitaire games and does good concise rules summaries in his review vids. I wish he had his own thing separate from those other dingdongs.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

bean mug posted:

If I haven't played Mage Knight yet should I purchase it with the expansion, or just wait until I finish everything in the base box?

The Lost Legion expansion is essential, may as well just get them together and save yourself two trips.

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

Mikey Purp posted:

We've had marathon game days where we've played A Game of Thrones back to back and enjoyed it.

Can you guys all move to Chicago?

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Bottom Liner posted:

Man, they need to curate what they do as live stuff. Q&As are fine, but games are proving increasingly risky.

At the same point, I am hesitant to mock someone for getting angry at a game on the internet. I can't speak for everyone, but I know I've lost my cool a few times during games in my time, and I am just happy that those incidents were not broadcast live to a bunch of total strangers. Hell, that compounded embarrassment might even be contributing to the bad reaction.

Now, this is all the more reason to support Rodney, one of incredibly few board game media personalities with Punchablity Quotient (PQ) of less than one. Rodney comes in at a lean .52. The others being Suzanne Sheldon (.3) and Steve from the Secret Cabal (.71), and Ephive (.77). Paul of SUSD just misses the cut with a 1.3, but sadly, he must be punched. It's just science.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Paul is the only good thing keeping SUSD sane, keep your hands off of him

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

bean mug posted:

It's better to learn from the base game but once you have those rules down you're fine, you don't need to play {all scenarios} x {all characters} or anything. You also want to make sure you like the game - while Lost Legion is essential I don't think it could convert somebody who disliked the base game.

So I'd wait, but if you need to fill out an online order you might get them together.

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

bean mug posted:

Buy the base box, try it and if you like it get LL. No reason to pay an extra 40 bucks if you end up not liking it.

That said, LL is essential if you like Mage Knight. It completes the base game.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Man, there is not a lot of game in the Oregon Trail card game. I don't really get these games without any real gameplay -- do Kickstarter users just throw money at anything with cute art?

dropkickpikachu
Dec 20, 2003

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

Man, there is not a lot of game in the Oregon Trail card game. I don't really get these games without any real gameplay -- do Kickstarter users just throw money at anything with cute art?

It has the Oregon Trail license and idiots who are now just mid- or post-college with disposable income will go "OH MAN I REMEMBER AND/OR RECOGNIZE THAT HAHA YOU HAVE DIED OF DYSENTERY" and buy it sight unseen.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Oregon Trail is the Talisman of video games.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Rutibex posted:

And yet many people enjoy it. Funny how automating the boring parts makes it more enjoyable. (Here's looking at you mage knight, you silly iPhone game you)

dropkickpikachu
Dec 20, 2003

Rutibex posted:

What kind of self drag

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Chill la Chill posted:

And yet many people enjoy it. Funny how automating the boring parts makes it more enjoyable. (Here's looking at you mage knight, you silly iPhone game you)

The steam version of talisman still isn't that great, tbh

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

Does anyone have a really good video to teach Race for the Galaxy on hand? I have always wanted to play it and have it lying around, but I have never gotten past the iconography and how confusing the rulebook is.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Quidthulhu posted:

Does anyone have a really good video to teach Race for the Galaxy on hand? I have always wanted to play it and have it lying around, but I have never gotten past the iconography and how confusing the rulebook is.

Play this pc version until you get it. Race's turn-by-turn is incredibly simple but you need a live example to really get the symbology.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Magnetic North posted:

Now, this is all the more reason to support Rodney, one of incredibly few board game media personalities with Punchablity Quotient (PQ) of less than one. Rodney comes in at a lean .52. The others being Suzanne Sheldon (.3) and Steve from the Secret Cabal (.71), and Ephive (.77). Paul of SUSD just misses the cut with a 1.3, but sadly, he must be punched. It's just science.

Now combine this with Rutibex's price/weight ratio to find the optimal board game experience.

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

At the risk of promoting this game any further:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/elanlee/bears-vs-babies-a-card-game

Fat Turkey
Aug 1, 2004

Gobble Gobble Gobble!
Bottom Liners list should be kept in the OP I reckon, that's a good reference list for people to check without bookmarking page 1130 of the thread.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

You already knew the answer before you had even asked the question, my friend

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
Speaking of Talisman, I played Moonquake Escape today at PAX after kind of falling in love when i saw it setup at a stall, and holy poo poo. Imagine if Munchkin and Talisman were mashed together and made less engaging.

Edit: I kind of feared there'd be Talisman blood in it when I looked at the concentric circles and one winning point, but just kind of brushed past.

Dancer
May 23, 2011
So I think I got a great deal from the bargain bin. Caylus for 15 euro. Now if only my regular group wasn't full of wimps who think Istanbul is "on the difficult side" :( .

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Dancer posted:

So I think I got a great deal from the bargain bin. Caylus for 15 euro. Now if only my regular group wasn't full of wimps who think Istanbul is "on the difficult side" :( .

I just... what? How? It's one of the best intro games that I've seen out there.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

Magnetic North posted:

Man, they need to curate what they do as live stuff. Q&As are fine, but games are proving increasingly risky.

At the same point, I am hesitant to mock someone for getting angry at a game on the internet. I can't speak for everyone, but I know I've lost my cool a few times during games in my time, and I am just happy that those incidents were not broadcast live to a bunch of total strangers. Hell, that compounded embarrassment might even be contributing to the bad reaction.

You'd just think that after playing as many games as they have a guy like Sam would be used to getting creamed or hosed over and know how roll with the punches, let alone in a game that he says he loves. I like the Dice Tower guys and no one likes being screwed by the rules but it's pretty embarrassing to throw a hissy-fit and retreat to your phone as soon as something doesn't go your way. The Jason meltdown was way cringier though.

In other news, can any Canucks verify if Feast for Odin already came and left up North? I've been keeping an eye on 401/BGB and haven't heard a peep.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Dirk the Average posted:

I just... what? How? It's one of the best intro games that I've seen out there.

It's a good game, but it's dryer than stale toast. It's hard to get people really into it.