Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

quote:

“I think what you’ve got to understand is that the word ‘process,’ I think, is underestimated sometimes,” Iguodala told USA TODAY Sports. “You think it’s just supposed to happen, and then when you say ‘process,’ then everyone is like, ‘Well, you’re just using that (concept) as a cover-up. Sometimes people do use it too much and it might be a cover-up, but it has only been a month (with these Warriors together), you know what I mean?

The Process is spreading

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Spacebump posted:

One more loss and it's the worse franchise start ever :negative: To newer NBA fans that might not seem so bad but if you're familiar with the 90s Mavs you understand how awful it really is.

I do remember them, there's no way this team is as bad as those.

Cool Buff Man posted:

My stepfather was friends with Dick Motta and he got a Mavs pennant signed by the whole team for me during the first year of the three Js but I can't find it anywhere. I'll send it to you if it ever find it, although that may take years

Cherokee Parks was sort of a family friend (his dad worked for the same company as my dad . . . although he didn't like his dad). My stepbrother had game worn Mavericks warmups.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Please Eat A Vegetable posted:

But really, does anyone expect a truly objective home announcer anywhere?

I like the Pistons' crew because while they are homers, they also try very hard to make every opponent sound like a mighty force that the Pistons must rise to defeat. Even last year's Sixers.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Boosh! posted:

Noah looking cooked is like, only the 5th worst thing with the Knicks right now.

He was cooked last year and they signed him to a 4 year/72 million dollar deal.

His play last year was about the level at which you sign someone for one year at a low AVV

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP
The Heat announcers are the best. They sound like a middle aged couple secretly wanting a divorce but trying to keep it together for the kids.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun
I'm pretty late to announcer chat but Craig Ackerman (doing Rockets road games this year and going full time next) is a massive improvement. Yesterday they had an impromptu triangle history lesson. Bill and Bull are in a really bad codependent homerism relationship but Bullard is one of the few announcers who seems to actually understand charge rules and occasionally throws out stats like pace, ortg and stuff. Between running an actual offense and Ackerman I'm going to try and watch every Rockets game for the first time in a few years.

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Rick posted:

I do remember them, there's no way this team is as bad as those.

Cherokee Parks was sort of a family friend (his dad worked for the same company as my dad . . . although he didn't like his dad). My stepbrother had game worn Mavericks warmups.

Lmao, his hair was always a mess

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM

WhyteRyce posted:

The Process is spreading

When Bosh makes his come back he can be The Processor

pepperchomp
Jan 27, 2007

chomp chomp chomp
The Lakers announcers are the biggest homers, I live in Hawaii and I catch a lot of Lakers games and I fuckin hate how much their announcers love their lovely team. Also is it just me, or is does Reggie Miller have the biggest hard on for Golden State?

pepperchomp fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Nov 3, 2016

pepperchomp
Jan 27, 2007

chomp chomp chomp
Double post...

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

pepperchomp posted:

The Lakers announcers are the biggest homers, I live in Hawaii and I catch a lot of Lakers games and I fuckin hate how much their announcers love their lovely team. Also is it just me, or is does Reggie Miller have the biggest hard on for Golden State?
Hows living in Hawaii, do people hoop there?

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

pepperchomp posted:

You are on record of saying they were big homers because they weren't actively rooting against the team like you think they should . . .

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Cool Buff Man posted:

My stepfather was friends with Dick Motta and he got a Mavs pennant signed by the whole team for me during the first year of the three Js but I can't find it anywhere. I'll send it to you if it ever find it, although that may take years

That'd be cool, thanks either way. If it's never found, no worries.

Jack's Flow posted:

For what it's worth, I have fond memories of the Mashburn/Jackson/Kidd seasons. We shall not mention the years before that though. Dark times. Medieval times.

90s Mavs + 90s Bulls led me to be a 90s kid that liked the Bulls and to a lesser extent the Magic because Shaq/Penny. (Like most 90s kids.) Needless to say, I didn't watch nearly as much basketball back then.

Players I incorrectly assume every 90s kid liked (unless they were a rival to your favorite team): Jordan, Pippen, Rodman, Shaq, Penny, Muggsy, Barkley, and Grant Hill. Unsurprisingly, all of those players either had great ad campaigns, were on the Bulls, or were child sized.

pepperchomp
Jan 27, 2007

chomp chomp chomp

Rick posted:

You are on record of saying they were big homers because they weren't actively rooting against the team like you think they should . . .

It's not just that. EVery call against them is wrong and all they do is praise the Lakers. It's like no other team matters. Westbrook can do an awesome dunk and they're not impressed but man when nick young makes a shot, hot drat !

Also, my friends actively ball, me not so much.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

Spoeank posted:

TNT is crazy if they have them live on mic

Sheed is pretty chill off the court. I'm not sure if that means he'll behave perfectly on broadcast TV, but he won't be leaping across the table to choke anyone.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Nets announcers are probably the most objective, because they do national calls as well.

Is it just me, or are there WAY more rematch games already?

Andrevian
Mar 2, 2010
Reggie Miller's ""the warriors aren't that bad, and the spurs aren't that good... as Patty Mills hits another three." was pretty great though. I want him to be on the microphone every time the Spurs eat the Warriors' lunch.

I don't watch many games other than Spurs games, but the only person who I truly hate when he has a microphone is Jeff Van Gundy. He whines too drat much. Enough that I'd rather turn off the volume and check the app for foul calls.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

Hopin we get an epic Sheed rant about Flint.

Tae posted:

That scheduling guy did retire, I wonder if the new philosophy is different somehow

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

Simmons is back to his old 'the Celtics almost pulled of this massive trade!!!" schtick.

https://twitter.com/shamus_clancy/status/794285182949933056

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

pepperchomp posted:

It's not just that. EVery call against them is wrong and all they do is praise the Lakers. It's like no other team matters. Westbrook can do an awesome dunk and they're not impressed but man when nick young makes a shot, hot drat !

Also, my friends actively ball, me not so much.

They spent most of the Lakers/Thunder game talking about how awesome Westbrook was though??

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

chunkles posted:

Hopin we get an epic Sheed rant about Flint.

I'm revising my earlier statement; he might go off on this.

NeuroticErotica
Sep 9, 2003

Perform sex? Uh uh, I don't think I'm up to a performance, but I'll rehearse with you...

Tae posted:

Nets announcers are probably the most objective, because they do national calls as well.

Yeah. I thought it was really weird that Dallas and Houston played each other twice in three days.

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Redgrendel2001 posted:

Simmons is back to his old 'the Celtics almost pulled of this massive trade!!!" schtick.

https://twitter.com/shamus_clancy/status/794285182949933056

I wish he'd shut up about basketball in general cuz it's clear that he hasn't paid attention or been plugged in for at least 3 years. It's not remotely amusing even if you're a boston fan

e: Just remembered the celtics get to play cleveland tonight without horford and crowder and with bradley all hosed up. Goddamn we're gonna get stomped

Cool Buff Man fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Nov 3, 2016

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I understand the 76ers and Dirk-less Mavs being super poo poo, but why are the Wizards winless? Isn't their team mostly healthy except for Mahimi?

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

I read this article last night and enjoyed it a lot, it's Jason Concepcion making the most convincing devil's advocate argument I've read for hiring D'Antoni: https://theringer.com/the-inspirational-courage-of-houstons-awful-defense-80e8f86c2221#.j1jauwlp4

pepperchomp
Jan 27, 2007

chomp chomp chomp

Rick posted:

They spent most of the Lakers/Thunder game talking about how awesome Westbrook was though??

Didn't catch that game earlier this year but trust me dude, I've lived here all my life they are poo poo birds at announcing.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

Tae posted:

I understand the 76ers and Dirk-less Mavs being super poo poo, but why are the Wizards winless? Isn't their team mostly healthy except for Mahimi?

Gortat is a bit older, Beal is a shooter who isn't shooting well, Wall has played okay but isn't shooting well from distance and is turning over the ball 6+ times a game, Oubre hasn't taken the next step, Morris is soso. Oddly enough Otto Porter has played pretty well.

Wall is my dark horse candidate to be traded in the upcoming offseason.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

chunkles posted:

I read this article last night and enjoyed it a lot, it's Jason Concepcion making the most convincing devil's advocate argument I've read for hiring D'Antoni: https://theringer.com/the-inspirational-courage-of-houstons-awful-defense-80e8f86c2221#.j1jauwlp4

If Houston's plan for hiring D'Antoni is really to just up the value of their roster for potential trades then that's pretty interesting. I'm sort of tired of giving Morey the benefit of the doubt, though.

pepperchomp posted:

Didn't catch that game earlier this year but trust me dude, I've lived here all my life they are poo poo birds at announcing.

Maybe you should actually check out some other teams' broadcasts.

Rick fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Nov 3, 2016

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

Rick posted:

If Houston's plan for hiring D'Antoni is really to just up the value of their roster for potential trades then that's pretty interesting. I'm sort of tired of giving Morey the benefit of the doubt, though.

Pretty sure the D'Antoni thing is mostly Leslie, although he and Morey are definitely in alignment on shot selection. I get the sense that Morey would've committed all the war crimes Hinkie did years earlier if Leslie wasn't in charge. Probably a good thing in the end that he is, even if I dislike his coach hires.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

chunkles posted:

Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

Though wise men at their end know dark is right,
Because their words had forked no lightning they
Do not go gentle into that good night.

Good men, the last wave by, crying how bright
Their frail deeds might have danced in a green bay,

Wild men who caught and sang the sun in flight,
And learn, too late, they grieved it on its way,
Do not go gentle into that good night.

Grave men, near death, who see with blinding sight
Blind eyes could blaze like meteors and be gay,

-d'antoni rockets proverb.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

chunkles posted:

Pretty sure the D'Antoni thing is mostly Leslie, although he and Morey are definitely in alignment on shot selection. I get the sense that Morey would've committed all the war crimes Hinkie did years earlier if Leslie wasn't in charge. Probably a good thing in the end that he is, even if I dislike his coach hires.

I feel like that balance has at least kept Houston in the market for free agents almost every year, and being in the market is what allowed them to get Harden and Howard. Howard didn't work out but it's not like they chose him over someone better.

But personally I think skating around mediocrity is fine because you never know how things are going to break. I think if Golden State had the injury troubles last year the year before we're talking about a Rockets final appearance.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

attackmole posted:

-d'antoni rockets proverb.

Rockets led by D'Antoni against the Warriors feels more like Charge of the Light Brigade to me. Or maybe Beethoven's Symphony No. 3, which was rededicated after Napoleon dissolved the Republic, D'Antoni of course being the defender and embodiment of enlightenment ideals who becomes a tyrant. However I appreciate the sentiment and will be raging frequently

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967
Westbrook is dropping 60 points tonight right?

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

DeRozan is probably not gonna hit 55% or w/e of his midrange jumpers all season

those are not sustainable numbers buuuuuut even if he settles around 40 or 45% he might still be a 25 PPG scorer which is still drat fine

Athanatos posted:

He's going to drop 15 in the first and tear his ACL early in the second trying way too hard to show up KD

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Athanatos posted:

What's the record for most FGA? Russ will get close to that

Ratzinc
Aug 14, 2004

MY BALLS ARE THE SIZE OF GRAPEFRUITS
27 on 27 shots is my guess.

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

Strenuous Manflurry posted:

Austin Carr for the Cavs. Cannot, cannot, cannot, cannot, cannot, cannot stand him. And I love the idea of a cantankerous grandpa on commentary, but man oh man do I hate his commentary.

Papercut posted:

Yeah he's really bad.

False

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

https://twitter.com/dekker/status/793997511518195712

Dekker with some advice for all the brothers in the struggle

e: Also check Joshua Smith on RGV :prepop:

PurpleJesus
Feb 27, 2008

We all change. When you think about it, we're all different people all through our lives, and that's okay, that's good, you gotta keep moving.

Strenuous Manflurry posted:

Austin Carr for the Cavs. Cannot, cannot, cannot, cannot, cannot, cannot stand him. And I love the idea of a cantankerous grandpa on commentary, but man oh man do I hate his commentary.

Austin Carr is the goddamn best and I won't hear a negative word against him. Also, now that I'm caught up on the thread, I will try to lurk less.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

PurpleJesus posted:

Austin Carr is the goddamn best and I won't hear a negative word against him. Also, now that I'm caught up on the thread, I will try to lurk less.

G*d bless

• Locked thread