Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Deified Data posted:

This was the case for my last two campaigns (Beastmen and Greenskins, normal and VH respectively) too, but this was probably a patch or two ago and I'm not sure if anything's changed. It seems like Chaos will almost always either wither on the vine and get wiped before you even encounter them or curbstomp the entire continent singlehanded. I always wonder what sort of thing determines their momentum.

How well Kislev holds out seems to be the factor. Also if you or the AI leaves a wounded stack that usually will be replenished with very good troops fast. On legendary I think the chaos AI can recruit everything in one turn with a billion recruitment slots too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Is it normal to lose a lot with the undead faction? I keep going into battles outnumbering them 2:1 but then get blasted to poo poo by guns or whatever. I seem to be doing alright because I can just make another huge rear end army, but still, it seems like I'm missing something.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Eventually you will need veteran undead to keep up.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Is there a way to toggle slow motion without delving into some ramshackle mouse macros?

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary

Dongattack posted:

Is there a way to toggle slow motion without delving into some ramshackle mouse macros?

This button?

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Dongattack posted:

T is defaulted to cycle battle speed forward. You can bind a key to cycle backwards, but nothing is bound by default.

Controls - Battle- near the bottom of the list

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

Plavski posted:

This button?

I meant a way to use a hot key for that button, but I communicated that poorly :negative:

^^yeah, I'll go make that macro then.

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007

Turtlicious posted:

Is it normal to lose a lot with the undead faction? I keep going into battles outnumbering them 2:1 but then get blasted to poo poo by guns or whatever. I seem to be doing alright because I can just make another huge rear end army, but still, it seems like I'm missing something.

What are you making your armies with? If the core of your army is skeletons or zombies that would explain it. I haven't played the VC campaign since around release but I assume getting grave guard and making them your infantry line is still the way to go. One stack of grave guard/monsters/support units should be able to take on any other stack, especially early on when most other factions are still low tier.

Also, what you get from raise dead on the campaign map depends on the number of casualties in a battle so when you're able to get grave guard you can throw your zombie/skeletons at a walled city and make sure to just barely win.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Skarsnik report #2: Tried consolidating the starting province. Took Karak Norn. Tried to underway intercept the returning defensive force and got wiped to a man. Time for attempt #3.

e. Report #3: Decided to raid some surrounding human settlements to get some XP and start a Waaaugh! Karak Norn takes my only settlement while I'm away. All forces wipe trying to reclaim it. Whooo

Deified Data fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Nov 4, 2016

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

I'm skipping ahead several pages to catch up. So assuming the tournament hasn't already ended, are Beans, ZearothK, Thanqol, Triskelli, or Olive Branch available for matches tonight?

Yukitsu posted:

I think I still have Vox and someone else that I haven't recorded yet, can't remember. I think Civ has turned into the giant black hole that it's pretty well known to be and stuff beyond that is a bit fuzzy. But yeah, I'm done all my games. If we're just dropping forfeits out rather than counting those as defaults, then yes, I'm at 17 and am done.

I'd post our recordings myself, but unfortunately I forgot to even save them.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Deified Data posted:

Skarsnik report #2: Tried consolidating the starting province. Took Karak Norn. Tried to underway intercept the returning defensive force and got wiped to a man. Time for attempt #3.

e. Report #3: Decided to raid some surrounding human settlements to get some XP and start a Waaaugh! Karak Norn takes my only settlement while I'm away. All forces wipe trying to reclaim it. Whooo

Ok, here's a strat.

Build Goblins. Noooooot Archers, just Goblins. Build the thing that'll get you Skulkers, and the Watch Towers.

Once you can build Skulkers, start building Skulkers en masse. Again, avoid Archers, they are useless against what you'll be fighting.

Send your Big Boss down and keep blowing up Norn's walls. He'll level up like mad, give him a wolf/lots of charge/damage.

Once you have enough guys, Underway halfway to Norn. They'll jump over to Wissenland to go steal your starter territory. That's cool, gently caress that starter territory. Next turn, run Skarsnik down and conquer Norn. Lean on your spider because it can tank their entire garrison, and use Skulkers to slaughter the Dwarves. At this point the Norn megastack will either choose to rush home to try and reclaim Norn, or it'll conquer your starter territory. Either way you now own the better city so who cares.

They'll attack Norn, and you can slaughter then with your walled city/garrison. Then you just go south and murder Grimhold.

If you really want to be a dick/pro plays, buy a Shaman/Night Goblin Warboss in the starter territory and give him 1-2 turns worth of Skulkers. If you upgraded the garrison as well, you might still lose, but you'll also kill most of Norn's army and make it easier to take both auxiliary cities. ( Or you might win! )

Never fight Dwarfs in Underway battles. Underway maps are better for Dwarfs because they don't offer much in the way of flanking/getting around them.

e: Oh, also abuse Squigs and RORs. Squigs are hilarious OP, and will gobble their way through the toughest Dwarf units. I've seen a single unit of Squigs eat an entire unit of Longbeards without going to 50% HP. They also benefit from Skarsnik's goblin buffs, which make them double hilarious. And just by conquering Norn you should unlock the first two RORs, both of which are really useful for early fights, since they give you cheap additional calv ( and let you focus on getting Squigs. ).

Rookersh fucked around with this message at 12:51 on Nov 4, 2016

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

so now that the game has had few months: is it worth getting?

Damienz
Sep 4, 2012

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

so now that the game has had few months: is it worth getting?

It was worth getting from day 1, the DLC's are amazing though. Probably my favourite TW-game so far.

Thanqol
Feb 15, 2012

because our character has the 'poet' trait, this update shall be told in the format of a rap battle.
Holy poo poo flamethrower irondrakes are amazing. I just had a battle where two units of them got 700 kills each.

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Thanqol posted:

Holy poo poo flamethrower irondrakes are amazing. I just had a battle where two units of them got 700 kills each.

I assume you must have faced a full stack of zombies then, goblins would just have routed.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Just did a VH with Belegar-- it's juuuust different enough from vanilla dwarfs to be interesting. I was somehow able to get everyone to be in a defensive/military alliance very early on (with trade agreements), and it ended up being a very warm and fuzzy play through. Once the orcs were dead, I was able to confederate all the dwarfs, I vassalized Bretonnia by giving them 15k generous gifts over and over and catching them when they lost battles to Chaos then as they confederated Bretonnia I effectively owned everything south of the Empire. Then I just bankrolled the Empire over and over as they confederated the provinces and watched my puppet kill chaos on his own. I also vassalized the Vampires, but Franz kept on making me break the alliance and revassalize it I figured burying the vamps in cannonballs and beards was fine.

gently caress fighting chaos as dwarfs, they have poo poo anti-large options and chaos cavalry always fucks them up (and Archaon loves bringing at least 6 car per stack, plus hell cannons). Either you get charge-resistant non-AP infantry or AP infantry that get knocked around and mulched up by horsies while the hell cannons rip you to shreds. I'm glad Franz was willing to fight them for me.

Bolt throwers aren't great. Better to just bring some thunderers in my honest opinion, the normal infantry are not as janky and you can checkerboard very well with them, and nailing large enemies from afar is perfectly serviceable with the more generalized grudge throwers or cannons.

Rangers are similarly not that great. They'd be better if you didn't have to get a special ranger building, but the stalk is nice for getting some sneaky volleys once melee is engaged (and also for spotting for artillery). The Axe rangers do some damage, but again I'd prefer using bows or guns instead simply because of familiarity. Still, downing an arachnarok with a poo poo ton of hatchets is always fun.

Runelords are outstanding, they get the absolutely necessary +100% charge resistance constant buff at (I think) level 2, making them the most solid Lord choice. They also get some nice utility/damage runes without having to deal with winds.

Dwarf RoRs are fine: the best one is the gyrocopter and the on-demand slayers for when you see a spider or a giant. The rest are more just on-demand fodder for spot defenses, IMHO. Also, don't grab too many RoRs before you grab Eight Peaks you'll eat so much upkeep it's astounding.

9/10 would dorf again.

note: if you do Belegar, a lot of the Dwarf achievements won't register. I couldn't get the beer industry one nor the Greathold in Karak Eight Peaks one.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Ironically, this DLC has been more awesome for me in terms of Greenskins (Gobbos) than Dwarfs even though I got it for a Dwarf playthrough.

Bolt Throwers are kind of a bummer TBH; I wanted to have good anti-cavalry artillery but Bolt Throwers don't get enough of an arc to sit safely behind your line and don't shoot quite well enough to really be a deterrent to enemy riders. Using that unit slot for Great Weapon Dwarfs ends up being the optimal choice again, since in a pinch they can fight against enemy Lords slipping through your shield units.

Runelords are awesome, but CA balanced them enough that I'm super hesistant to use them. CA did this by changing their middle skill branch such that they lose army boosts for non-Ranger shooters and elite Dwarf infantry, which was ultimately necessary because having ranks in those skills while having Runelord buffs at the same time would be absolutely ludicrous.

caedwalla
Nov 1, 2007

the eye has it

Rookersh posted:

Ok, here's a strat.

Build Goblins. Noooooot Archers, just Goblins. Build the thing that'll get you Skulkers, and the Watch Towers.

Once you can build Skulkers, start building Skulkers en masse. Again, avoid Archers, they are useless against what you'll be fighting.

Send your Big Boss down and keep blowing up Norn's walls. He'll level up like mad, give him a wolf/lots of charge/damage.

Once you have enough guys, Underway halfway to Norn. They'll jump over to Wissenland to go steal your starter territory. That's cool, gently caress that starter territory. Next turn, run Skarsnik down and conquer Norn. Lean on your spider because it can tank their entire garrison, and use Skulkers to slaughter the Dwarves. At this point the Norn megastack will either choose to rush home to try and reclaim Norn, or it'll conquer your starter territory. Either way you now own the better city so who cares.

They'll attack Norn, and you can slaughter then with your walled city/garrison. Then you just go south and murder Grimhold.

If you really want to be a dick/pro plays, buy a Shaman/Night Goblin Warboss in the starter territory and give him 1-2 turns worth of Skulkers. If you upgraded the garrison as well, you might still lose, but you'll also kill most of Norn's army and make it easier to take both auxiliary cities. ( Or you might win! )

Never fight Dwarfs in Underway battles. Underway maps are better for Dwarfs because they don't offer much in the way of flanking/getting around them.

e: Oh, also abuse Squigs and RORs. Squigs are hilarious OP, and will gobble their way through the toughest Dwarf units. I've seen a single unit of Squigs eat an entire unit of Longbeards without going to 50% HP. They also benefit from Skarsnik's goblin buffs, which make them double hilarious. And just by conquering Norn you should unlock the first two RORs, both of which are really useful for early fights, since they give you cheap additional calv ( and let you focus on getting Squigs. ).

Squigs don't benefit from the night goblin buffs, I never use squig hoppers for that reason. Squig herds are great though.

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

There is no wealth like knowledge, no poverty like ignorance.

Vox Nihili posted:

I'm skipping ahead several pages to catch up. So assuming the tournament hasn't already ended, are Beans, ZearothK, Thanqol, Triskelli, or Olive Branch available for matches tonight?

I'll be available tonight! This goes for Beans too.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
People should run a 2v2 tournament some time. Curious how that would change things.

ErKeL
Jun 18, 2013

Fangz posted:

People should run a 2v2 tournament some time. Curious how that would change things.
I would be interested as long as my partner expects me to accomplish far less than the AI.
"Dude I'm getting crushed, at least back me up."
"Nah mate this is all part of my master plan, I'll deal with the remains."

Skarsnik campaign is going amazing for me. I spent so long loving on the empire that chaos have had a free reign though and all my opposition have been crushed effortlessly.
I'm hoping it's because of my focus on goblin infantry and not just because I'm poo poo. poo poo's fun as hell though. Even if they beat my armies I can field more effortlessly.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
My Skarsnik campaign has been rather odd, the orcs, my allies, have been going on a rampage and confederated/killed all the other greenskins tribes and conquered the dwarfs but I managed to snipe Karak-8-peaks and the northern part of the World Edge Mountains before they took everything. Now I have the uglist borders ever. Meanwhile I'm trying to weaken my allies internally by putting them at war with as many people as possible while rebels tear them apart and surpisingly it's working, albeit slowly, and chaos is rampaging through the empire pretty much unopposed. Fun times.

Mukip
Jan 27, 2011

by Reene

Fangz posted:

I'd like to run a 2v2 once the present tourny is finished.

ErKeL
Jun 18, 2013
Greenskins have been my best mates as Skarsnik. They're number 1 whereas I'm only number 3 but despite them wanting a confederation, I skipped it until I have more power.
Greenskins have waaghs going on everywhere, mostly against Chaos. The only power that competes against us.

Been the most hilarious campaign for ages.

fnordcircle
Jul 7, 2004

PTUI
This Bloody Hand playthrough has been one of the more frustrating campaigns I've ever run. Not hard, just frustrating. It's because the Dwarfs got obliterated like, turn 4.

I've been hardcore allies with whatever Karak belongs to Belegar and I've spent probably 100 turns playing whack-a-stack. To the point that I can't do anything reliably other than hold these two provinces.

I've since just said gently caress it and started rampaging through greenskin lands sacking and occupying. I can take out 2-3 for every one of mine they take out but constantly responding to their stacks and their occasional wins has kept me from being able to afford more than 1 1/2 stacks and nowhere near enough Goblin Big Bosses to block their stacks as much as I'd need.

I prefer to play methodically but they have like, twice the settlements I do so it's either play defensively for forever or let them break up my provinces while I trash double of theirs. It's more orc-y but meh, not very rewarding as a slow plodding march across the badlands. Also, jesus I'm tired of fighting greenskins with greenskins.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Vox Nihili posted:

I'll be on tonight! Tournament runner being a strangler to play his games is a true shameful display

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

Thanqol posted:

The ROR irondrakes that shoot steam are my favorite unit in this game. They are monsters on the battlefield especially against VC and greenskins

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

So my achilles heel in multiplayer is and has always been Bretonnia, I just have no idea how to actually deal with them. Peasants are way too cost effective for their price and locking their lords down and killing them is way easier said then done if your opponent isn't an idiot. I usually play chaos, how the hell am I supposed to win this matchup other than bringing like 5 manticores and winning in the air?

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Just beat ESL tournament winner Ninjahund online so basically anyone who's beat me in the goon tournament is now the best player in the world.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Nanomashoes posted:

So my achilles heel in multiplayer is and has always been Bretonnia, I just have no idea how to actually deal with them. Peasants are way too cost effective for their price and locking their lords down and killing them is way easier said then done if your opponent isn't an idiot. I usually play chaos, how the hell am I supposed to win this matchup other than bringing like 5 manticores and winning in the air?

Forsaken for peasants, halberds for anything bigger. Since I'm incredibly in love with light cav types, I'd say use warhounds (probably the poison variant) as your mobile element because they'll outrun Bretonnian cav. If they commit their cav to killing the dogs you'e got eating the peasants from the back, great, they'll probably tarpit long enough for you to get your halberds into them. If they don't, you massacre the peasants and have your way with their second line, while still having your halberds free to ward off cav. When it comes to Bretonnia you just have to plan to take their air on the chin and bring no air of your own.

That's just theory crafting though.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Forsaken are good but they get deleted by peasant bowmen, the problem I'm having with bretonnia is that the bowmen are always guarded, either by other peasants or just louen and his paladins flying in on any unit you get into those guys.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

You could put your halberds up front; peasant bowmen have low ap damage and don't perform well against well armored infantry. Managing the speeds of your halberd and forsaken lines and whatever cav you take will be a lot of micro though.

It's a tough question, but I think the answer is to not give him something to focus on. You need to be threatening his line with your forsaken, and threatening his archery/line with your cav, and threatening (and punishing) his cav with your halberds, and managing magic support (but that mostly comes in when the lines meet).

e:\/Yeah, keep in mind that all of my advice will involve not using air because I don't want to keep track of air because I'm allergic to micro. I'll only use it with Bretonnia, and only because their air is really good.

wiegieman fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Nov 4, 2016

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"
You can match bretts air force now with chaos pretty well and even your turd infantry is better than theirs

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Sure your infantry is better but not 2 on 1 better with arrows flying in.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
Starting as Skarsnik is basically a race to get him level 7 or so as quick as possible to where he has army poison and deep enough into the red line upgrades to give your gobbos super boss attack/charge. An army of poisoned sneaky stabbers with mid 60s offense and ~50 charge bonus wreak unmitigated hell on dwarves, and at that point even your baseline gobbos are actually kind of scary in a fight and hard to shoot down due to the 50% block shields on the approach. Their baseline damage may still be kind of poo poo, but remember that you always have more goblins than they do anything else and the sheer volume of high accuracy but low damage melee attacks that also poison enemies and reduce their combat effectiveness is enough to overwhelm the enemy. Remember that the damage from charge bonus is armor piercing too, so if you have a free unit of goblins you can try to do the psuedo shock cavalry thing with them and repeatedly charge the enemies flank/rear with them too.

Morbidmind
Feb 24, 2013
The issue with Bret in multi is that Louie buffs all the peasants to being pretty competent troops. I also have not discovered a good counter to the two paladin, Louie with peasants build.

Maybe Dwarf buff stacking and rely on two units of thunderers held in the back to take shots on any pegasi looking to get involved.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Nanomashoes posted:

Just beat ESL tournament winner Ninjahund online so basically anyone who's beat me in the goon tournament is now the best player in the world.

Yay!

Did he call your build cheese and went on a rant over how he'd win under tournament rules?

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

ZearothK posted:

Yay!

Did he call your build cheese and went on a rant over how he'd win under tournament rules?

Nah he did a 4 handgunner ranged build to show off to the chat and I had a hellcannon so he had to attack me and just died to forsaken.
https://www.twitch.tv/ninjahund/v/98959969?t=03h58m37s

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Nanomashoes posted:

Nah he did a 4 handgunner ranged build to show off to the chat and I had a hellcannon so he had to attack me and just died to forsaken.

i hate this guy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

There is no wealth like knowledge, no poverty like ignorance.

Nanomashoes posted:

Haha, good on you Nanomashoes. Hellcannon for life.

• Locked thread