Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Just because something isn't as good as it seems doesn't mean it's not good enough.

Don't get me wrong, I expect there to be some deal breaking flaw, but I would at least like to know what the flaws are.

The Blu phones are OK, their resolutions aren't super high and the speakers sound like a can-and-string but they are still good for the money. The one I tried had some nice bits like dual-sim capability and included a case and screen protector for $100, that was a nice touch.

Amazon Prime had a deal where you could get a $50 gift card when buying one if you agreed to lock-screen ads (which could easily be removed afterwards) but the offer seems to be gone and they are only offering it for Moto G4 now:

https://www.amazon.com/b/?ie=UTF8&node=14613304011

Those are well-reviewed unlocked Motorola phones for Blu phone prices, so if you're on a budget I'd spring for one; especially since Amazon is great about returns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
Got my pixel Distronic TPU in the mail, and of course it's great. I really want a color other than black, though.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

CLAM DOWN posted:

e: also the dude asking about Live Case delays, mine just shipped this morning

That was me. Mine just shipped too.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I wrote poorly and forgot the range of smartphone prices. To be more accurate, is there something else around the $200 mark?

What's the deal with BLU phones? They seem too good to be true. Around the same price and specs as Chinese phones, but with less spyware to capture my dickpics to blackmail me when I start my political career.

E: Actually, this seems like exactly what the recommend me a phone thread is for.

If you haven't started already, then by the time you're in a position of importance, it'll probably already be acceptable. :quagmire:

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Zero VGS posted:

The Blu phones are OK, their resolutions aren't super high and the speakers sound like a can-and-string but they are still good for the money. The one I tried had some nice bits like dual-sim capability and included a case and screen protector for $100, that was a nice touch.

Amazon Prime had a deal where you could get a $50 gift card when buying one if you agreed to lock-screen ads (which could easily be removed afterwards) but the offer seems to be gone and they are only offering it for Moto G4 now:

https://www.amazon.com/b/?ie=UTF8&node=14613304011

Those are well-reviewed unlocked Motorola phones for Blu phone prices, so if you're on a budget I'd spring for one; especially since Amazon is great about returns.

Thanks, I'll definitely be considering those on top of the Nexus 5X (that I didn't realize you could get for $230 total through Project Fi). That $150 price tag on the G4 is pretty attractive. I'll put on my jorts when I get home and see how my wife's G4 feels in their pockets.

How do you get rid of the ads?

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

22 Eargesplitten posted:

How do you get rid of the ads?

Pay for the ones that aren't subsidized by them? :shrug:

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

RZA Encryption posted:

Pay for the ones that aren't subsidized by them? :shrug:

Essentially you just flash the non-subsidized image to the phone: http://www.stechguide.com/remove-amazon-ads-and-bloatware-from-moto-g4/

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Pixel XL is impressive for sure, but man would it be hard to leave my Nexus 6P 128Giger. It's just been a downright fantastic phone that you can get for a reasonable price as well if you want a little better than the 5X, but less than a Pixel(XL) and are on Verizon, Fi, or Sprint and don't want to leave. (though those Mi phones look downright wicked, however GSM only phones just make me sad I am on Sprint, until I see the price I would have to pay to be on any other carrier with my data usage (and no throttling so far)).

Onto a different note, does anyone else sync their phones contacts and calendar with Hotmail/Outlook through Exchange and having issues with it not Syncing at all in the past week or longer? I wiped my phone recently going from 6.0.1 Pure Nexus to the newest 7.0 PN build, did a nice clean install, and notice that my Contacts nor Calendar sync onto the device even though it is correctly setup to use Exchange (not the IMAP default if you let it just setup based on e-mail) and it says that everything is Synced, there is nothing on the phone.

With my other test device using Exchange Activesync for HTC Sense, everything Syncs perfect, as does using other apps like Microsofts own Outlook app (Though that POS is great for e-mail, it only has 1 way sync for Contacts for whatever the hell reason. Calendar however works fine, but doesn't sync to the phones native one) or I found a e-mail client called BlueMail that works, but is imperfect and sucks using a full email client, just to sync my drat contacts like a phone in 2016 should be able to natively do now. (why can a device that ran Windows Mobile or Palm in 2004 still have better sync than an Android device built today? Ugh.)

I don't know if it was due to the O365 change Microsoft is doing on their end or something google jacked up with gmail/Google Exchange Services, but either way, talk about frustrating.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

I loved my 6p when I got it but right now the 2ish hours of SoT, the slow HDR processing time, and the throttling (especially leaving the camera on) have me really mad at it. The random days of ridiculous unexplained battery drain I'll just chalk up to Android

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

WhyteRyce posted:

I loved my 6p when I got it but right now the 2ish hours of SoT, the slow HDR processing time, and the throttling (especially leaving the camera on) have me really mad at it. The random days of ridiculous unexplained battery drain I'll just chalk up to Android

True this, hence my recent adventures with ElementalX and forcing it into 4 A53's at 1.4Ghz 2 A57's to 1.2Ghz (With Hexacore mode enabled) and the GPU locked to 450mhz Max. Gotten around 5hrs SOT and the standby time is pretty good with PN 7.0.

Outside of my random Contact/Calendar BS going on, the rest of the device is pretty snappy and power efficient for once without any major slowdown from those changes. Its like a 1440P 5X with Stereo.

The only issue I cannot explain, is the Speakerphone. Video/Calls work great, but turn on the speaker phone, and it is the same as if I hit Mic Mute. You can't hear a thing on the other end but I can hear them fine.

No idea what's going on there, but if it was a bad mic, you would think it would present itself in another form (Again, normal calls, Video recording, etc.)

I dread having to send the thing to Google (I have Nexus Protect as well, but it hasn't been a year even) and getting a refurb of questionable quality back...

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

Is there an easier way to prevent the autocorrect of a single word with the Google keyboard? Right now I'm tapping on the word before hitting space but it's a little awkward because I have to tap twice to move the cursor back

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

EdEddnEddy posted:

True this, hence my recent adventures with ElementalX and forcing it into 4 A53's at 1.4Ghz 2 A57's to 1.2Ghz (With Hexacore mode enabled) and the GPU locked to 450mhz Max. Gotten around 5hrs SOT and the standby time is pretty good with PN 7.0.

Outside of my random Contact/Calendar BS going on, the rest of the device is pretty snappy and power efficient for once without any major slowdown from those changes. Its like a 1440P 5X with Stereo.

The only issue I cannot explain, is the Speakerphone. Video/Calls work great, but turn on the speaker phone, and it is the same as if I hit Mic Mute. You can't hear a thing on the other end but I can hear them fine.

No idea what's going on there, but if it was a bad mic, you would think it would present itself in another form (Again, normal calls, Video recording, etc.)

I dread having to send the thing to Google (I have Nexus Protect as well, but it hasn't been a year even) and getting a refurb of questionable quality back...

Oh god it's 2016 and people have gone back to flashing third party ROMs to get around phone issues :(

Really though, thanks for the suggestion. I might have to do that if I'm going to be waiting until mid December for my Pixel

WhyteRyce fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Nov 4, 2016

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

WhyteRyce posted:

Oh god it's 2016 and people have gone back to flashing third party ROMs to get around phone issues :(

Really though, thanks for the suggestion. I might have to do that if I'm going to be waiting until mid December for my Pixel

Well people who spend far too much time on XDA are

You tried a factory reset?

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.

DuckConference posted:

Is there an easier way to prevent the autocorrect of a single word with the Google keyboard? Right now I'm tapping on the word before hitting space but it's a little awkward because I have to tap twice to move the cursor back

Keyboard settings > Dictionary > English

Then add your word to the personal dictionary

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

WhyteRyce posted:

Lol, when you have the ability, it isn't too difficult to improve on OEM phone OS'es since unlike say iOS or Windows Phone, each one for Android is custom BS that seems immensely lacking once you have use a good custom Rom (Pure Nexus really is slim on actual changes, but some of the few settings he does add is great little QoL stuff. You don't really need a custom kernel to enjoy the device, but I do personally like to tinker within it a tad. Nexus/Pixel is pretty dang close to optimal Google empty and polished vs something from Samsung/LG (HTC has gotten pretty slim on their theming in recent years however. A HTC10 is a great phone as well with a fantastic camera and headphone AMP)

Though like mentioned above, you should still get a good 4hrs SoT unless you are playing games all the time and just ripping through battery. Check into the battery setting and possibly, maybe download the BetterBatteryStats that might give you a better look at what might be eating your battery so much. Even stock with Facebook and (in my case) 300ish apps, you should only loose about 3-4% an hr standby and still get 4hrs SoT. I have gotten it up to 5~ but the screen is a bit of a battery pig I can't get past without a really dark theme.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Skarsnik posted:

Well people who spend far too much time on XDA are

You tried a factory reset?

Cleared the cache. I'd care much less about factory resets if the Android backup wasn't a half baked process and the anecdotal evidence from Reddit and XDA indicates that won't do poo poo anyway.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

EdEddnEddy posted:

Lol, when you have the ability, it isn't too difficult to improve on OEM phone OS'es since unlike say iOS or Windows Phone, each one for Android is custom BS that seems immensely lacking once you have use a good custom Rom (Pure Nexus really is slim on actual changes, but some of the few settings he does add is great little QoL stuff. You don't really need a custom kernel to enjoy the device, but I do personally like to tinker within it a tad. Nexus/Pixel is pretty dang close to optimal Google empty and polished vs something from Samsung/LG (HTC has gotten pretty slim on their theming in recent years however. A HTC10 is a great phone as well with a fantastic camera and headphone AMP)

Though like mentioned above, you should still get a good 4hrs SoT unless you are playing games all the time and just ripping through battery. Check into the battery setting and possibly, maybe download the BetterBatteryStats that might give you a better look at what might be eating your battery so much. Even stock with Facebook and (in my case) 300ish apps, you should only loose about 3-4% an hr standby and still get 4hrs SoT. I have gotten it up to 5~ but the screen is a bit of a battery pig I can't get past without a really dark theme.

Sounds good but are your speakerphone and contact/calendar oddities occurring only on the third party ROM or did it happen on stock too?

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
I can't get my pixel to respond to setting an alarm with any app other than Clock. I'd like to to tell it to wake me up using Timley. On my N5x I'd disable Clock, set one alarm, and then it'd lock to Timely. The pixel doesn't do that.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

If I have a Nexus 6 "shamu" am I supposed to have gotten Nougat by now?

e: I looked on Reddit and it looks like a bunch of people are still waiting like me. Nevermind.

Mu Zeta fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Nov 4, 2016

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Mu Zeta posted:

If your go to the Android Beta site and sign up it should instantly OTA nougat to your phone. Then you can remove yourself from the beta.

ijii
Mar 17, 2007
I'M APPARENTLY GAY AND MY POSTING SUCKS.
I'm trying to salvage my Galaxy Note 2 (TMO). It took a poo poo a couple weeks back by going through a boot loop while I was texting. It appears to be working fine while hooked up to a charger. When I pull the usb from the phone, it immediately resets, the text 'Galaxy Note II' flashes on the screen, then turns off. I want to try to replace the battery with a brand new OEM battery, but it seems it's not possible to find an OEM through Amazon or the Samsung website. Should I try calling customer support? Is there a safe brand of batteries that I can trust?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Zero VGS posted:

If your go to the Android Beta site and sign up it should instantly OTA nougat to your phone. Then you can remove yourself from the beta.

Ok I just signed up and I got the OTA update notification. The only thing I'm worried about is this

quote:

You may opt-out of the program at any time to return to the stable, public version of Android. Note: If you opt-out when your device is running a beta version of Android, all user data on the device will be wiped.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Mu Zeta posted:

Ok I just signed up and I got the OTA update notification. The only thing I'm worried about is this

Oh, then uh, don't opt out. I used it to get Nougat on my 6P and it has been perfectly stable.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Mu Zeta posted:

e: I looked on Reddit and it looks like a bunch of people are still waiting like me. Nevermind.
That staggered rollout thing they do can really take a while. I know my dad's 5X got it like two weeks after mine did.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Mu Zeta posted:

You should be fine. Just do it after the OTA downloads and then install the OTA that it gave you instead. This is how I (and a lot of others) did it.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

WhyteRyce posted:

Sounds good but are your speakerphone and contact/calendar oddities occurring only on the third party ROM or did it happen on stock too?

The contact/calendar oddities are a mix I believe between Microsoft O365 changes, Google sucking at basic Microsoft support, and devices just throwing random basic function issues at me because they know it pisses me off. Its happening on both my 6P and a HTC Test device(s) I have right now so its not a device/rom issue.

The Speakerphone I don't remember when it stopped working, And I have never had this phone stock more than 5 minutes while I was getting it out of the box. It had been Bootloader Unlocked, Flashed Pure Nexus, and ran that ever since last December. Been tempted to try Stock just to test out the 7.1 Beta, but the time it takes me to Restore stuff keeps me from wanting to take the plunge that I know I will return from...

And The Speakerphone did work fine as far as I can remember up until like a month or two ago. Nobody else is complaining about it from this Rom or technically, in the same issue as me (Some had call quality issues, but not the same complete mute issue as me) which seems to span Stock and other Roms, and I never had any issue like that of the sort. So I haven't a clue and don't need it that much that I will flash stock just yet to see if that fixes it or not.

I may once 7.1 Drops just to get the phone a full going over, but that probably won't be until later this month or the next.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Mu Zeta posted:

Read what you quoted. That's for running a beta version. You will be installing a stable Nougat release. So like people said there is nothing worry about

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

ijii posted:

I'm trying to salvage my Galaxy Note 2 (TMO). It took a poo poo a couple weeks back by going through a boot loop while I was texting. It appears to be working fine while hooked up to a charger. When I pull the usb from the phone, it immediately resets, the text 'Galaxy Note II' flashes on the screen, then turns off. I want to try to replace the battery with a brand new OEM battery, but it seems it's not possible to find an OEM through Amazon or the Samsung website. Should I try calling customer support? Is there a safe brand of batteries that I can trust?

Get an Anker battery if they still make them.

Edit: Yep! https://www.amazon.com/Anker-Batter...ds=anker+note+2

Alan_Shore fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Nov 4, 2016

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme
Got my Pixel XL and the phone copy thing won't work! It appears that there are other people with the same issue as well. So I ended up having to start from scratch, but I guess that's OK as it cleans up my phone.

It's really nice to use fingerprint to input passwords from LastPass rather than type in my pw on my phone when I want to login to a site. I'm loving the phone already, we will see how I feel in a few days though.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
I just set up 2 step Google Authentication for my Nexus 5x. Two questions:

How do I get it to use the Authenticator App instead of getting the code via SMS?
What happens if I lose my phone and I want to log in to location services on another location to track down where my phone is?

nocal
Mar 7, 2007
So previously a major thing that made me consider the iPhone was 1) the speed of camera launch, combined with 2) the speed of capturing the first photograph and all subsequent photographs. All of my android phones were slow to open the app and slow to take a picture.

My Pixel is the first phone that compares to the iPhone as far as pictures, and not just in quality, but in speed. Double tap the power button, and holding down the shutter button takes pics continuously, and makes GIFs. I did this for maybe 1-2 seconds last night, it took 16 pics (all of decent quality) and instantly had made a GIF.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

So I got Nougat up and running and it feels pretty much the same. Not really sure why I was so anxious to get it. Oh well. I hope the "doze on the go" means slightly longer battery, though I'm pretty happy with how the Nexus 6 does right now.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

I've been doing the gif thing since getting my XL and it hasn't gotten old yet, but it's all been in the yospos cat thread because cat gifs.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Thermopyle posted:

This is a thing that I also want.

Also, I need to get going on my Livin' The Google Lifestyle thread...

Got my hands on it today. Easy to set up. My four year old thinks it's magic and already started asking it questions about animals.

Sound quality is damned decent, really not that far off my (old and cheap) home theater despite being far smaller. I'm sure it won't get as loud but I didn't buy it for loud.

It's basically the same thing you get by asking your phone "OK Google..." without having to dig your phone out and unlock it. Which is surprisingly awesome.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

WhyteRyce posted:

Cleared the cache. I'd care much less about factory resets if the Android backup wasn't a half baked process and the anecdotal evidence from Reddit and XDA indicates that won't do poo poo anyway.

You prefer the idea of installing a custom rom possibly made made by a 13 year old over resetting your phone based on anecdotal evidence, and are taking advice from someone who won't exchange their faulty phone over 'questionable refurbs' and made posts I genuinely though were joke copy pastes taken from xda

You carry on then

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
So I know the Verizon-branded Pixels have locked bootloaders, but do they have Android's native mobile hotspot enabled, or Verizon's pay-to-play version? I know it's incorporated into their newer capped plans, but I'm still on ULD.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 09:36 on Nov 4, 2016

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

IOwnCalculus posted:

Got my hands on it today. Easy to set up. My four year old thinks it's magic and already started asking it questions about animals.

Sound quality is damned decent, really not that far off my (old and cheap) home theater despite being far smaller. I'm sure it won't get as loud but I didn't buy it for loud.

It's basically the same thing you get by asking your phone "OK Google..." without having to dig your phone out and unlock it. Which is surprisingly awesome.

I know nothing about the Home. How do you activate it? Tell me it's not "okay google". I already accidentally trigger my phone every time I try to talk to my watch.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Anyone have an Axon 7? Seems like a great phone for the price, especially the audio. Finding shipping to Hong Kong... Not so easy.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

So I know the Verizon-branded Pixels have locked bootloaders, but do they have Android's native mobile hotspot enabled, or Verizon's pay-to-play version? I know it's incorporated into their newer capped plans, but I'm still on ULD.

There's no such thing as a branded Pixel.

It uses the native mobile hotspot, but the stock Android hotspot has long been able to obey account entitlement for hotspot. Nexus 6, 5x, 6p, and Pixel all check to see if hotspot is allowed before enabling it.

The only phone in recent memory that didn't check is the 2015 MXP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

It's been awhile since we heard about the Note 7...

http://amp.androidcentral.com/new-zealand-carriers-will-cut-access-note-7-nov-18

People still aren't retuning them, so Samsung is starting to work with carriers to blacklist the IMEIs and cut off cellular service.