Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

When dealing with your own work history, what's the best way to handle multiple title changes? All of my relevant work experience looks roughly like this:

Company A
*Title 1
*Title 2, which was just some additional duties on top of Title 1
*Title 3, even fewer new duties on top of Title 2
Company B
*Title 4
*Title 5, which is just "Senior Title 4"

Do I still want to go ahead and list out all five of these titles one-by-one in order, or would I be better served combining these in some manner?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

asur posted:

Time out as in nothing or most of the way there? I think by most standards if you don't have the easy solution finished or almost there then you're done..

Yes, it's ok to send it over LinkedIn. You can also ask HR or the recruiter for the persons email.

Like half way there I guess? I figured out the algorithm and was sloppily writing it out/trying to debug it while I went. That is encouraging to hear that I wasn't totally expected to finish, though.

I emailed my recruiter about it but they haven't gotten back to me :argh:

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

IOwnCalculus posted:

When dealing with your own work history, what's the best way to handle multiple title changes? All of my relevant work experience looks roughly like this:

Company A
*Title 1
*Title 2, which was just some additional duties on top of Title 1
*Title 3, even fewer new duties on top of Title 2
Company B
*Title 4
*Title 5, which is just "Senior Title 4"

Do I still want to go ahead and list out all five of these titles one-by-one in order, or would I be better served combining these in some manner?

I would list titles separately in reverse chronological order since it shows progression in the role.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
I've been in my career for about 12 years. 2004-2012 were basically a progression from entry-level to junior, and 2012-present I'd put as firmly mid-career. My resume is 3 pages: 2 of my work history, 1 of education, certifications, and technical skills.

I want to update for my current role - I'm happy where I am but if something like Google or Amazon comes knocking, I'd be interested. To do so I'd have to truncate a lot of stuff out of previous positions.

Given that my next position would have more relevance to my present and recent mid-career jobs, would it be a good idea to just list the very early ones - three helpdesk jobs - without specific items and achievements? It'd just be company name, dates, title, location, and a one-line summary. This would allow me to list more present and recent projects, responsibilities, etc.

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

You wait for the war to happen like vultures.
If you want to help, prevent the war.
Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.
I have a situation I need help with:

I was laid off back in July due to downsizing in the division at my prior job. I was making a lovely 33k a year plus some benefits. Earlier this week I interviewed at a company, and they asked what salary I was making and what I was looking for. I indicated that my prior Total Compensation package was around 50k and that's where I wanted to stay. I wowed them with my interview skills, had a second interview yesterday that ended with an offer letter for the amount I asked for. I signed the letter on the spot because the job is what I want, and I had to sign an electronic copy as well. I then had to fill out an extensive online background form, listing prior addresses and jobs from the past 10 years, and I have to do a drug screen today. So far so good, but now they're saying they want a copy of my W2 form. To me, this seems excessive and it appears they are solely looking to find out my prior salary, which will expose my exaggeration of my prior wage. Am I screwed? Should I push back? I don't start for another two weeks, which should be plenty of time for any background check company to verify my past employment.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

MJP posted:

I've been in my career for about 12 years. 2004-2012 were basically a progression from entry-level to junior, and 2012-present I'd put as firmly mid-career. My resume is 3 pages: 2 of my work history, 1 of education, certifications, and technical skills.

I want to update for my current role - I'm happy where I am but if something like Google or Amazon comes knocking, I'd be interested. To do so I'd have to truncate a lot of stuff out of previous positions.

Given that my next position would have more relevance to my present and recent mid-career jobs, would it be a good idea to just list the very early ones - three helpdesk jobs - without specific items and achievements? It'd just be company name, dates, title, location, and a one-line summary. This would allow me to list more present and recent projects, responsibilities, etc.

Yeah just list the job. 3 pages is excessive and no one cares that you worked at a helpdesk 12 years ago.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I would list titles separately in reverse chronological order since it shows progression in the role.

Same

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

Inept posted:

Yeah just list the job. 3 pages is excessive and no one cares that you worked at a helpdesk 12 years ago.

The unfortunate part is even after condensing two roles - one where I got a promotion to a more senior role with sysadmin responsibilities - I still have three pages. Not the end of the world - leaving the helpdesk roles condensed lets me put in far more detail for my sysadmin roles.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Do I need to detail each one separately, then? I kept banging at it last night and I have:

Company B
*Title 5, 20xx-20xy
*Title 4, 20zz-20xx
**Detailed description of duties from both roles combined
Company A
*Title 3
*Title 2
*Title 1
**Detailed description of duties from all three roles combined

ObsidianBeast
Jan 17, 2008

SKA SUCKS

MJP posted:

The unfortunate part is even after condensing two roles - one where I got a promotion to a more senior role with sysadmin responsibilities - I still have three pages. Not the end of the world - leaving the helpdesk roles condensed lets me put in far more detail for my sysadmin roles.

I'll reiterate what Inept said and tell you that 3 pages is way too long, especially for a 12-year career. I think 1 page is plenty, a lot of people will argue 2 is fine, but if you have 3 pages then you're listing a lot of irrelevant stuff that no one will care about. Your resume is supposed to get you to an interview, not be the interview.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Big McHuge posted:

I was laid off back in July due to downsizing in the division at my prior job. I was making a lovely 33k a year plus some benefits. Earlier this week I interviewed at a company, and they asked what salary I was making and what I was looking for. I indicated that my prior Total Compensation package was around 50k and that's where I wanted to stay. I wowed them with my interview skills, had a second interview yesterday that ended with an offer letter for the amount I asked for. I signed the letter on the spot because the job is what I want, and I had to sign an electronic copy as well. I then had to fill out an extensive online background form, listing prior addresses and jobs from the past 10 years, and I have to do a drug screen today. So far so good, but now they're saying they want a copy of my W2 form. To me, this seems excessive and it appears they are solely looking to find out my prior salary, which will expose my exaggeration of my prior wage. Am I screwed? Should I push back? I don't start for another two weeks, which should be plenty of time for any background check company to verify my past employment.

are you doing clearance level work? If so, you might not be screwed but you sure as hell shouldn't push back.

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Big McHuge posted:

I don't exactly know why background checks ask you for 10 years of work history and ways to verify like a W2, but if it makes you feel better I had to go through the exact same rigamarole for an internship last May. They wouldn't possibly have cared about my previous wages.

And "total compensation" is different than gross salary, and includes things that would be difficult to verify, I'd imagine.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

IOwnCalculus posted:

Do I need to detail each one separately, then? I kept banging at it last night and I have:

Company B
*Title 5, 20xx-20xy
*Title 4, 20zz-20xx
**Detailed description of duties from both roles combined
Company A
*Title 3
*Title 2
*Title 1
**Detailed description of duties from all three roles combined

Yes. But you don't need to do detailed descriptions for all of them unless they are pertinent to the job you're applying to- Just do a brief description of the responsibilities (maybe 1-2 bullets). Remember the point of it is to show that you got to Company A and you did such good job you ascended into Title 3. It's basically a "Oh nice he's a hard worker and isn't retarded metric" that is sometimes of higher value to an employer. Because remember, you can always be trained to do a job, you can't be trained not to be a lazy retard.

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

You wait for the war to happen like vultures.
If you want to help, prevent the war.
Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.

The Iron Rose posted:

are you doing clearance level work? If so, you might not be screwed but you sure as hell shouldn't push back.

No clearance level work. The HR rep said that a W2 might be necessary if the background check company was having issues verifying prior employment. I finished filling out the forms on Thursday at 4 PM, and her email requesting the W2 came at 7 AM the next morning. I'm pretty sure it's just a blatant attempt to look at my prior salary, it's just giving me a bad vibe that they're trying to be sneaky about it.

I think what I might do is say that I'm having issues tracking it down, but ask them what information they specifically need, and maybe there's an alternate way to provide it. Call their bluff, so to speak.

Prince Turveydrop
May 12, 2001

He was a veray parfit gentil knight.
Or provide a redacted copy.

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

Corben Goble-Garbus posted:

Or provide a redacted copy.

If things are gonna blow up anyway you might as well have fun with it.

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

So I interviewed with Microsoft once before in the spring and it took them like three or four days to get back to me telling me no. Now a little shy of a week after my recent interview, the interviewer responded to a thank you note I sent saying that I should hear back within 3 weeks.

What can I take away from this? I'm assuming I'm not like a D-lister this time around since they let me know so quick before, but I'd guess I'm not an A-lister either or the process would probably go a little bit faster, right? I don't wanna get my hopes up too high but I'm cautiously optimistic.

asur
Dec 28, 2012
I wouldn't take away anything based on response time. Just stay cautiously optimistic and bug the recruiter if they don't respond when they said they would.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

asur posted:

I wouldn't take away anything based on response time. Just stay cautiously optimistic and bug the recruiter if they don't respond when they said they would.

This. It took 2 loving months between phone interview (which was my only interview) and job offer at my current company and I have been told I was their only candidate.

Im A Lime
Nov 18, 2007

It took me four months, from phone screen to offer letter, to get my last job. At least it wasn't a no, so yeah, stay optimistic! (But I hope it isn't 4 months)

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

There was one time I got a random offer letter seemingly out of nowhere in December. At the time, I was pretty happy with my job, so that offer was for a different position I'd interviewed for in April.... turns out the hiring manager went on maternity leave :sg:

Cautious optimism is a good mindset to approach the hunt!

No Egrets
May 30, 2013

That's right, and it's an Armani.
I think this is the right thread to ask a question about my current situation:

I'm a microbiologist that's been out of work for a month now. I've been on probably 10 interviews with a few second interviews that all seemed to go well. The job I'm most interested in is with a research team at a university I interviewed with about a week ago. Their projected date for filling the position was around the first week in December. Well, my second choice at a private lab just extended an offer to me to start in a couple weeks. How should I approach the university to see if they're actually interested in extending me an offer? Should I just send an email to them that's basically "I have another job offer, are you considering me still"? Is that a dick thing to do? All the articles I've found deal with playing two job offers against one another, not an actual offer and a "potential" offer. I've never been in this position and am really worried.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

No Egrets posted:

I think this is the right thread to ask a question about my current situation:

I'm a microbiologist that's been out of work for a month now. I've been on probably 10 interviews with a few second interviews that all seemed to go well. The job I'm most interested in is with a research team at a university I interviewed with about a week ago. Their projected date for filling the position was around the first week in December. Well, my second choice at a private lab just extended an offer to me to start in a couple weeks. How should I approach the university to see if they're actually interested in extending me an offer? Should I just send an email to them that's basically "I have another job offer, are you considering me still"? Is that a dick thing to do? All the articles I've found deal with playing two job offers against one another, not an actual offer and a "potential" offer. I've never been in this position and am really worried.

I don't know what more you can do, but youre a highly skilled employee doing them a favor by telling them to hurry up or they'll lose out. Say you have another offer in hand and you'd like to be with them but need a firm offer very soon even if the start date isn't for a few weeks.

No Egrets
May 30, 2013

CarForumPoster posted:

I don't know what more you can do, but youre a highly skilled employee doing them a favor by telling them to hurry up or they'll lose out. Say you have another offer in hand and you'd like to be with them but need a firm offer very soon even if the start date isn't for a few weeks.

Just wanted to say that this worked like a charm. I sent an email explaining the situation and I got a call back 35 minutes later from the university with an offer. Thanks!

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

So I just got off the phone with a company willing to hire me, which is nice and exciting and all that, but I'm kind of concerned. The offer they made was 30k a year, which isn't a particularly good improvement to my 27.5k a year that I currently make, which they know. They also are aware of the fact that my current employer is downsizing at the end of the year, and that I'll be out of a job in two months time either way.

The sticking point is, my current job is a five minute walk from my apartment, whereas the new one is a one and a half hour drive across state lines and toll roads. In addition to the fact that I'll likely move closer once my lease is up, and rent in the area is about 30-40% higher than where I'm currently living, I'm hesitant to accept the offer.

So they know they've got me in a place where making a counter offer is tough, but I don't know if I can make ends meet with the daily travel time and all that. Is this something I should bring up, or just be happy for what I've got?

ryanbruce
May 1, 2002

The "Dell Dude"
This one sounds like it comes down to personal factors, but if I were in your shoes, I'd push hard for a better offer. Is this job worth a decrease in pay once you move to a more expensive neighborhood?

Even on living where you are now, it's barely break even. I'm assuming 2x$1 for tolls, and that it's only 1.5hrs total drive not 3.

27,500 / 2080 hours = $13.22/hr
(30,000 - 520) / (2080+78) = $13.66/hr

I would advise you use these next 2 months to find something better if you can.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

No Egrets posted:

Just wanted to say that this worked like a charm. I sent an email explaining the situation and I got a call back 35 minutes later from the university with an offer. Thanks!

Did you negotiate? TELL ME YOU NEGOTIATED

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

So I just got off the phone with a company willing to hire me, which is nice and exciting and all that, but I'm kind of concerned. The offer they made was 30k a year, which isn't a particularly good improvement to my 27.5k a year that I currently make, which they know. They also are aware of the fact that my current employer is downsizing at the end of the year, and that I'll be out of a job in two months time either way.

The sticking point is, my current job is a five minute walk from my apartment, whereas the new one is a one and a half hour drive across state lines and toll roads. In addition to the fact that I'll likely move closer once my lease is up, and rent in the area is about 30-40% higher than where I'm currently living, I'm hesitant to accept the offer.

So they know they've got me in a place where making a counter offer is tough, but I don't know if I can make ends meet with the daily travel time and all that. Is this something I should bring up, or just be happy for what I've got?

To the negotiation thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3768531

I'd negotiate or plan to leave.

No Egrets
May 30, 2013

CarForumPoster posted:

Did you negotiate? TELL ME YOU NEGOTIATED

I did, but I already there wasn't a ton of wiggle room with the range. They came up by 5k over the initial offer though :dance:

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

No Egrets posted:

I did, but I already there wasn't a ton of wiggle room with the range. They came up by 5k over the initial offer though :dance:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0KCWqnldEag

asur
Dec 28, 2012

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

If you are willing to walk or are willing to take on a slight risk that they pull the offer, you should negotiate for what you actually want. In general not only is the chance of a company pulling their offer low, but you don't want to work at a place that does this. After saying that, you appear to be in the unfortunate position of not having another offer or a job so you need to weigh the risk.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

A coworker and I are applying for the same job at the same company. It's a larger company that is hiring about 30 people for the same position, so we're not outright directly competing for the same spot as it would be in most other situations. Would it be weird or detrimental in any way for us to both use one another as references?

She's already applied, interviewed and used me as a reference, for which I've filled out a reference survey. It may even be too late for me anyway depending on how far they are in their process, but the position is still listed as open currently and they aren't looking to get anyone actually started until mid December sometime.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Bluedeanie posted:

A coworker and I are applying for the same job at the same company. It's a larger company that is hiring about 30 people for the same position, so we're not outright directly competing for the same spot as it would be in most other situations. Would it be weird or detrimental in any way for us to both use one another as references?

She's already applied, interviewed and used me as a reference, for which I've filled out a reference survey. It may even be too late for me anyway depending on how far they are in their process, but the position is still listed as open currently and they aren't looking to get anyone actually started until mid December sometime.

I've not run into this before but just as an outsider I'd see this as "oh great I can hire two people who work well together. "

Subyng
May 4, 2013
I am trying to do research on a company for a potential interview but I can't find any information about what exactly they do aside from them making finance software. I've scoured their website, Google, Glassdoor, LinkedIn, etc. but it's not helpful. Here's their LinkedIn description:

quote:

RPM Technologies specializes in wealth management solutions for the financial services industry. R•SUITE includes distribution and order processing solutions and record keeping platforms for investment product manufacturing.

RPM solutions have been implemented by blue-chip clients within Banking, Broker / Dealer, Credit Union and Government Financial sectors. The results are significant - reduced costs, increased sales, improved customer satisfaction and proactive response to market demands.

And here are some descriptions based on some LinkedIn stalking that I did from people who worked in similar positions:

quote:

Develop a variety of brokerage software for financial institutions by working on UI side using core Java, C#, asp.net and JavaScript.

quote:

Designed new features for enterprise software used by bank and brokerage advisors in Java to process orders for fund, equity, fixed income, and term investments

I have a background in software, but not finance or economics. I would really appreciate if anyone who is familiar with any of these descriptions or the financial tech industry could elaborate on what exactly the software that they make might possibly do? I would like to answer any potential "what do you know about our company" questions with more than "well you make finance software...and um..."

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Subyng posted:

I have a background in software, but not finance or economics. I would really appreciate if anyone who is familiar with any of these descriptions or the financial tech industry could elaborate on what exactly the software that they make might possibly do? I would like to answer any potential "what do you know about our company" questions with more than "well you make finance software...and um..."

Think of the the functionality banks deliver to consumers and businesses and how that's being delivered.

For savings/payments it'll be typical banking applications, often with a web front end that need to talk to CRM software, Account/Savings applications, credit card checks, do debt checks, applications that track/calculate interest and applications that actually recieve/transfer money to other payment providers or banks. All these applications can run on pretty much any platform you can imagine, linux/unix/windows/hp non stop/ibm zOS. You see banks moving from big monolithic applications to smaller services that are all connected (microservices/api's).

If you're familiar with stock trading you can imagine what kind of software development needs to be done for those business processes.

Most services in the finance industry are lots of different applications (and platforms) chained together so it'd be a good start to ask your invterviewer how complicated their landscape is, how many teams work to provide a typical service to consumers/companies. Which services you'll be working on if they hire you and with how many teams you'll be interacting. What kind of applications do those teams develop, and if they use the same technology.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Subyng posted:

I am trying to do research on a company for a potential interview but I can't find any information about what exactly they do aside from them making finance software. I've scoured their website, Google, Glassdoor, LinkedIn, etc. but it's not helpful. Here's their LinkedIn description:

And here are some descriptions based on some LinkedIn stalking that I did from people who worked in similar positions:

Well, I think their website explains pretty clearly what R-Wealth, -Broker, etc do. I fyoure not familiar with the terms there start by googling them.

Alternatively knowing about their product offerings helps you:
1) feel familiar to them
and enable you to
2) explain how you can help them.

Since you can't find much info on the company, look at the job description for number 2 and read whatever articles, take whatever webinars you can on the various "keywords" in the job description. If it says "be gud at C++" and youre just okay at C++...brush up on it.

If you want a primer on finance readable by anyone (and which will likely gain you a lot of money over the course of your life) I recommend:
https://www.amazon.com/Intelligent-Investor-Definitive-Investing-Essentials/dp/0060555661

Benjamin Graham is the Colombia professor that notably influenced Warren Buffet and the book is basically an idiots guide to making reasonable investment decisions.

CarForumPoster fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Nov 9, 2016

creatine
Jan 27, 2012

So I have an interview Thursday for an entry-level lab assistant position in the Boston area with a big name lab. They're online application asked "Are you adverse to being paid $16.50/hr." I currently make $17/hr at current job but was hoping to get at least $40k annually as a first job after getting my bachelor's. Does anyone have guides on negotiating salary like this? Like do I just ask if they can start at $20/hr?

No Egrets
May 30, 2013

creatine posted:

So I have an interview Thursday for an entry-level lab assistant position in the Boston area with a big name lab. They're online application asked "Are you adverse to being paid $16.50/hr." I currently make $17/hr at current job but was hoping to get at least $40k annually as a first job after getting my bachelor's. Does anyone have guides on negotiating salary like this? Like do I just ask if they can start at $20/hr?
When I got my first lab job after getting my bachelors I took a pay cut of almost a dollar an hour because I wanted to get in the field and start getting experience. In hindsight I'm 100% sure it was unnecessary and if I had negotiated better it wouldn't have happened. That being said, I've worked for a few different labs now and can't remember having seen any of them advertise an actual hourly wage, sometimes they'd post a range, so they might be pretty firm on it. If you make it to getting the actually offer I'm pretty sure you could bump them from $16.50 to $17, but $16.50 to $20 might be a stretch. The last offer I got before my current job I followed the general "don't accept the offer immediately" advice I'd read in this thread. I called them back the next day and expressed my concerns about the salary and was able to get an extra $1.75 an hour. In the end you aren't going to hurt yourself by negotiating, especially if there's an offer on the table. I'm always leery about trying to negotiate salary during the early interview process, but I might be crazy. Good luck on your interview by the way!

creatine
Jan 27, 2012

No Egrets posted:

When I got my first lab job after getting my bachelors I took a pay cut of almost a dollar an hour because I wanted to get in the field and start getting experience. In hindsight I'm 100% sure it was unnecessary and if I had negotiated better it wouldn't have happened. That being said, I've worked for a few different labs now and can't remember having seen any of them advertise an actual hourly wage, sometimes they'd post a range, so they might be pretty firm on it. If you make it to getting the actually offer I'm pretty sure you could bump them from $16.50 to $17, but $16.50 to $20 might be a stretch. The last offer I got before my current job I followed the general "don't accept the offer immediately" advice I'd read in this thread. I called them back the next day and expressed my concerns about the salary and was able to get an extra $1.75 an hour. In the end you aren't going to hurt yourself by negotiating, especially if there's an offer on the table. I'm always leery about trying to negotiate salary during the early interview process, but I might be crazy. Good luck on your interview by the way!

Thanks! Yeah I don't expect to get $20 but would like at least $18. I'm trying to look up the area average salary and the ones I see from publicly known places has this position start around $45,000, but those are from universities that have pay grades online. I just don't know how to phrase it because this is entry level and j don't have anything that I can really leverage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.
This is somewhat related to this thread but I'm not sure where else to ask:

My husband has a job interview later this week, I've just found out that someone fairly high up in my company is good friends with the guy doing the interview and it was suggested I reach out to him to ask for him to put in a good word for my husband. Now I've talked to this guy a few times so I'm not some total stranger but we're also not buddy-buddy.

How do I word it so it doesn't sound like straight up nepotism? Or do I just leave it and hope word of mouth travels to him? Husband getting this job is a key piece that leads to me accepting a transfer for a promotion so it's in my company'a interest to help him get this job.