Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

qirex posted:

if you're an actual professional your job buys you whatever expensive computer you need, if you're a home user with a titan x you're basically a hummer H2 driver

yeah this is the real salient point here

there are applications where you will use 100% of whatever power your computer has -- basically comes down to 3d rendering, video rendering, and engineering simulations. however, no one doing any of those things professionaly is doing it on their own computer. maybe a few low-res previews here and there but most of that can be done in near-real-time on anything these days. if speed really matters, the company has a render farm or at least they bought you a 12-core xeon that sits under your desk and just renders all day.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Nov 3, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

i decided i didnt want the stupid touchbar anyhow so i just bought the new one with a normal keyboard

first impressions are good. really like the keyboard/touchpad/form factor/look and feel

2 usb ports will just barely be enough.
but what about infinite emojimacs posibilities :(

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Sagebrush posted:

there are applications where you will use 100% of whatever power your computer has -- basically comes down to 3d rendering, video rendering, and engineering simulations. however, no one doing any of those things professionaly is doing it on their own computer. maybe a few low-res previews here and there but most of that can be done in near-real-time on anything these days. if speed really matters, the company has a render farm or at least they bought you a 12-core xeon that sits under your desk and just renders all day.

it could be a concern for small business or (true) independent contractors.

that isn't who is whining about it though

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

Sagebrush posted:

a lot of creative professionals use laptops as portable desktops, though. like, when you need to do work out of the office (or you don't even have an office), so you bring a laptop, but once at the job site it'll spend most of its time plugged in to main power. video editors trying to do rough cuts on-site, for instance.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
for the 0.01% of the population that has that kind of requirement, there are powerful PC workstation laptops.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Doc Block posted:

a lot of creative professionals use laptops as portable desktops, though. like, when you need to do work out of the office (or you don't even have an office), so you bring a laptop, but once at the job site it'll spend most of its time plugged in to main power. video editors trying to do rough cuts on-site, for instance.
this years ipad has enough power to rough cut 4k video

e: actually so does this years iphone now that I think about it

qirex fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Nov 3, 2016

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

YA BOY ETHAN COUCH posted:

they look better than windows laptops

reminder: this is the 2016 macbook pros

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

qirex posted:

most professionals make their livings using "nondemanding" applications. when I got started 20 years ago photoshop was so slow for print resolution the prepress house I worked for had a $12,000 multiprocessor mac that they ran on 3 shifts to get all the work done since everything took so long hell I used to run unsharp mask on screen resolution stuff then go get coffee and have a cigarette now that poo poo takes under a second

modern computers are fast enough for the vast majority of work, even professional work, and it's hilarious watching people who basically only care about e-peen and video james try to justify their demands as being "for professionals"

nice to know people were overpaying for underpowered macs 20 years ago same as they are today.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

atomicthumbs posted:

reminder: this is the 2016 macbook pros

i think this photo...might be doctored????

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

carry on then posted:

i think this photo...might be doctored????

Nope

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
Umm... the touchpad isn't a screen, so how is it displaying things?

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014
how can u trust anyone in the pos if even teh ADMINISTRATOR IS LYING STRAIGHT TO YOUIR FACE=

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
it's almost like the place where the actual laptop screens were badly photoshopped out are a dead giveaway!

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

i love reading yosposters explain how people in other fields use their computers

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Maximum Leader posted:

how can u trust anyone in the pos if even teh ADMINISTRATOR IS LYING STRAIGHT TO YOUIR FACE=

#NotMyDeathRobot

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Toady posted:

i love reading yosposters explain how people in other fields use their computers

corner case

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

Sagebrush posted:

for the 0.01% of the population that has that kind of requirement, there are powerful PC workstation laptops.

it'd be nice not to have to ditch my software and workflow, and not have to use windows, though.

for an upcoming project i'm gonna be doing some stop motion animation, and i'll need a computer that can be in close proximity to the camera and models so i can be checking the current frame against previous frames often (and also because the camera needs to be plugged into the computer), but still be easily repositioned when the camera needs to be moved. this computer (and camera) will also be plugged into main power all day. the computer also needs to be powerful enough to quickly move around and decode RAW files from the camera (including play them back in real time) and do some test compositing.

and while the new macbook pros can probably handle my aforementioned workload, it'd be nice if i had the option of picking one of the "good" GPUs from the current generation (good in quotes because LOL AMD) and CPU, but even the best GPU that you can get in BTO is still one of the low-end ones, and apparently the CPUs are actually slower than the ones in the last generation MBP. nevermind that they're removing useful features like magsafe, which is of concern to me given my upcoming project will involve me working around a plugged-in laptop a lot.

Doc Block fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Nov 3, 2016

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Doc Block posted:

Umm... the touchpad isn't a screen, so how is it displaying things?

The touchpad is a screen now

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

atomicthumbs posted:

The touchpad is a screen now

Apple gonna totally rules lawyer their way to the Surface and people like Gruber will fellate them endlessly for it.

"you see they said using the laptop screen as a touch input is a bad idea which it is. that's why it was so insightful for them to have spent the last half decade perfecting the technology in the new 4D Trackview, while also having the courage to discard the now superfluous antiquated power and space hogging Retina display."

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

imho just sell an alluminum slab with subscription to keep your job going via outsourcing. it takes courage to head into the unknown.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
has anyone bitched about how bad itunes is for windows 10? because it loving sucks and its ruining apple music for me

they literally just updated it to have continutity between the phone app and the desktop, but now its all hosed up on my pc and i have to click 2 inches above any element in the gui to get it to register and theres tons of graphical glitches

there have always been tons of graphical glitches but at least the ui was mapped 1:1 with my 1440p screen resolution

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

works for me

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Dislike button posted:

has anyone bitched about how bad itunes is for windows 10? because it loving sucks and its ruining apple music for me

they literally just updated it to have continutity between the phone app and the desktop, but now its all hosed up on my pc and i have to click 2 inches above any element in the gui to get it to register and theres tons of graphical glitches

there have always been tons of graphical glitches but at least the ui was mapped 1:1 with my 1440p screen resolution

so they made it suck as much as it does on OSX? good, suffer with the rest of us.

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

lmao the new MBP doesn't actually work with existing Thunderbolt 3 docks / adapters http://plugable.com/thunderbolt-3

quote:

The version of OS X on the new MacBook Pros (late 2016) will not work with existing Certified Thunderbolt 3 docks and adapters (released prior to November 2016). These existing devices use Intel’s Thunderbolt 3 chipset (Alpine Ridge) in combination with the first generation of TI USB-C chipset (TPS65982). Apple requires the 2nd generation TPS65983 chipset for peripherals to be compatible. Certification of solutions across different device types is still in-progress for this 2nd generation chipset. From the Plugable product line, our dual display graphics adapters for DisplayPort and HDMI (TBT3-DP2X and TBT3-HDMI2X) are affected and are disabled by OS X on the new MacBooks.
also they stopped supporting line-out 192khz optical audio from the 3.5mm jack http://appleinsider.com/articles/16/11/02/new-macbook-pro-drops-optical-audio-out-through-headphone-jack

quote:

AppleInsider contacted Apple about the matter, and was told that the feature was removed due to a lack of customers using the functionality.

Linguica fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Nov 4, 2016

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

Linguica posted:

also they stopped supporting line-out 192khz optical audio from the 3.5mm jack http://appleinsider.com/articles/16/11/02/new-macbook-pro-drops-optical-audio-out-through-headphone-jack

finally they make the right call on SOMETHING

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
yeah, this is still the best laptop I've ever used

I agree that it's underpowered and the dongles are ridiculous but I does everything I need and it's very pleasant to use.

I wish it would stop correcting my typing though.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Dislike button posted:

itunes is terrible regardless of platform

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

yeah, this is still the best laptop I've ever used

I agree that it's underpowered and the dongles are ridiculous but I does everything I need and it's very pleasant to use.

I wish it would stop correcting my typing though.

sys prefs>keyboard>typing>correct spelling automatically

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Dislike button posted:

i literally use an old clunker laptop with vista on it for itunes because i don't want itunes garbaging up my desktop or regular laptop

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

iTunes crashes on my MacBook Pro after playing about 10% of every song now. cool

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

as a metric driven company that might be something apple fixes

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

"640 kB should be enough for anyone"

im not saying theres no use for more ram

im saying it has no place on your personal computer

if you need a lot of ram whatever youre doing should be done on a server

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Dislike button posted:

has anyone bitched about how bad itunes is

yes

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

mishaq posted:

im not saying theres no use for more ram

im saying it has no place on your personal computer

if you need a lot of ram whatever youre doing should be done on a server

you're wrong

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope
"personal computers should not have more than some arbitrary number of ram"
"personal computers should not have an ssd"

both opinions i have read on yospos recently.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope
"personal computers should not have a higher resolution screen than 1365x768"

- probably someone's unironic yospinion

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

I don't use itunes. I use gpodder for podcasts & bandcamp for buying music. iTunes on Windows is a bag of dicks.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

THC posted:

sys prefs>keyboard>typing>correct spelling automatically

"it just works"

*posts on an obscure internet website about commonly experienced problem*

*clincally retarded who-did-did-this-dude-convince-to-allow-him-to-use-their-credit-card-for-him-to-buy-an-account yosfailer suggests to change fundamental settings in order to fix operating system*

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

when is tim gonna give us the joocy mac mini upgrade we all want? everyone in the pos is using a 4k monitor or a CRT and nevr leaves their lairs anyhoo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

• Locked thread