Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

Let'en my post flyen true
Why didn't they just put it on a cruise ship?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I FORGOT CRISES OF FATE EXISTED HOLY poo poo.

Say what you will about AAI1, it's got a pretty good soundtrack.

insanityv2
May 15, 2011

I'm gay

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

It's also intended to highlight the difference between Edgey and the Defense Attorney crew. Nick and co. ride bikes and take the occasional cab when in a rush, while Miles trots across the globe on three-story planes with elevators on a monthly basis.

I've always kind of wondered where Edgeworth got his $$$. Is he like old money? I mean there's no way a government official is paid enough to support his lifestyle right? I remember him chartering private jets to get places at multiple points during the games.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

It's a running absurd joke in the series that prosecutors make a lot of money and defense attorneys don't.

Good Lord Fisher!
Jul 14, 2006

Groovy!

I think Mia just died before she taught Phoenix how to write an invoice

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

Final case

So I have to select the sound of the explosion during the insight, despite the fact that the two other sounds prove the exact same thing, and they PROVED THEM THE FIRST TIME WE SAW THEM and NOW is the magical time I can make the point I've wanted to make and made sense to make AGES ago.

I mean I know poo poo like that is par for the course in AA but it's still annoying. Not as annoying as "you have to press every statement before some story bullshit happens that will let you prove something you could prove anyway" though.

Also game completely misunderstanding how face blindness works. They treat it like it's something wrong with your eyes so you don't see faces when it's a problem with the brains ability to recognise faces - if the seance works essentially as a recording device then we still shoulda seen the face... but I mean this is magic ghost poo poo, so whatever, we could be inside Inga's brain. Oh well, every game can't be 999

Calico Heart fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Oct 31, 2016

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Another thought for Turnabout Airlines: Hicks really should have had his phone off or in airplane mode, that's a violation of federal regulations.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Calico Heart posted:

Final case

So I have to select the sound of the explosion during the insight, despite the fact that the two other sounds prove the exact same thing, and they PROVED THEM THE FIRST TIME WE SAW THEM and NOW is the magical time I can make the point I've wanted to make and made sense to make AGES ago.

I mean I know poo poo like that is par for the course in AA but it's still annoying. Not as annoying as "you have to press every statement before some story bullshit happens that will let you prove something you could prove anyway" though.

Also game completely misunderstanding how face blindness works. They treat it like it's something wrong with your eyes so you don't see faces when it's a problem with the brains ability to recognise faces - if the seance works essentially as a recording device then we still shoulda seen the face... but I mean this is magic ghost poo poo, so whatever, we could be inside Inga's brain. Oh well, every game can't be 999

It DOESN'T work like a recording device though, it's presenting the info as the victim interpreted it. That's why things can be wrong, because the victim was wrong about what he/she heard/saw/smelled. Inga's facial blindness had to be translated to what non-face blind people could see as "I can't make heads or tails of this face" since the victim couldn't see it.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
I don't think the seances have ever shown incorrect information. What's wrong is Rayfa's interpretation of them.

Syka
Mar 24, 2007
sum n00b or wut?

Momomo posted:

I don't think the seances have ever shown incorrect information. What's wrong is Rayfa's interpretation of them.

:objection:
Case 3:the second vision in case 3 said "Plumed Punisher theme" when it was actually the Steel Samurai theme. So yeah, the visions are filtered through the victims' perception.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Syka posted:

Case 3:the second vision in case 3 said "Plumed Punisher theme" when it was actually the Steel Samurai theme. So yeah, the visions are filtered through the victims' perception.

But in case 5 doesn't Inga's seance have a voice on the phone that's later identified as a henchman? Surely the voice of his own subordinate is something he'd recognise from the start if that's what determines it.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Syka posted:

Is it not possible that that was also Rayfa's interpretation?

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Syka posted:

rayfa doesn't know about the steel samurai either

e: gah beaten by 10 minutes thats a new low

VibrantPareidolia
Oct 12, 2012

AlphaKretin posted:

But in case 5 doesn't Inga's seance have a voice on the phone that's later identified as a henchman? Surely the voice of his own subordinate is something he'd recognise from the start if that's what determines it.

That's more a question of clarity rather than perception. The first round of the seance is always more of a general overview. The fact that he heard a voice is correct, the spirit just didn't go into detail until Rayfa asked.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

insanityv2 posted:

I've always kind of wondered where Edgeworth got his $$$. Is he like old money? I mean there's no way a government official is paid enough to support his lifestyle right? I remember him chartering private jets to get places at multiple points during the games.

Phoenix Wright started out as a parody of the Japanese legal system, where basically every criminal trial resulted in some degree of a guilty verdict and prosecutor was a mad prestigious position. Ace Attorney does exaggerate, of course, but it has been a series staple that prosecutors can do basically whatever they want. Klavier smuggled out a Borginian cocoon by using prosecutor post, and Godot unearthed Misty Fey with a casual inquiry.

But Edgey is also from the house of von Karma, and they certainly like to dress like old money.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I forgot that Officer Michael Meekins was in Ace Attorney Investigations: Miles Edgeworth.

E: "I'll take this investigation from here. Yup, he's dead." Love Lang.

Waffleman_ fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Nov 1, 2016

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

TheKingofSprings posted:

Is it not possible that that was also Rayfa's interpretation?

Cake Attack posted:

rayfa doesn't know about the steel samurai either

e: gah beaten by 10 minutes thats a new low

Rayfa's input into the seances is the cool dance and then the Insights. The thing you see, including the floating words, are all from the victim's point of view which is why it's a first person perspective in the first place.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

The seances are like the Psyche-Locks. They don't show the objective truth, just what the subject feels is the truth.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Of all the things to stump me in this game, I can't believe the first testimony from the drone in case 5 was the worst. Literally the worst, like I ran out of badges 3 times over trying to figure out a contradiction that was too obvious for me to consider.

I sound bitter but I'm always kinda impressed when the games sneak something like that in there to stump me.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

I finally finished the DLC case last night.

I can see why people were disappointed with the finale; the culprit felt like they went down way too easily after their big transformation/reveal, though I did get a laugh out of the "right to remain silent" testimony.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
How is AAI2 so good? Its a crime that we never got this game localized. Does it actually have 4 or 5 cases? I just started the 4th.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

It has 5

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Also I was not prepared for Final Fantasy-ish music in an AA game. Soundtrack is really great overall.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

It's weird that in Investigations, a man is able to buy the deed to an amusement park's haunted house.

Like...I don't think those are real houses that have deeds.

Also I think an amusement park attraction would be worth more than a million dollars.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Case 3 is kind of a mess and Investigations in general tends to flub a bit when it comes to verisimilitude.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Case 3 is kind of a mess and Investigations in general tends to flub a bit when it comes to verisimilitude.

Most of the games post AJ do that.

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

hardest time i ever done :(

TheKingofSprings posted:

Most of the games post AJ do that.

Also AJ, with all of case 3 and 4.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Plom Bar posted:

Also AJ, with all of case 3 and 4.

Replace "cocoon" with "drugs" and 3's ok.

Case 3 was about the absurd leaps of logic the courts were willing to take being a major issue.

4's a clusterfuck where literal time travel may or may not be involved, yeah. "Our family sees good" is a whole lot better than "our family can channel the loving dead" though as a plot device.

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

TheKingofSprings posted:

Replace "cocoon" with "drugs" and 3's ok.

Case 3 was about the absurd leaps of logic the courts were willing to take being a major issue.

4's a clusterfuck where literal time travel may or may not be involved, yeah. "Our family sees good" is a whole lot better than "our family can channel the loving dead" though as a plot device.

But that's been a staple of the series since literally Case #2, but the idea of poker tells being admissible in court is also a biiiiit of a stretch. I was glad when they relegated that to investigation segments only. But then Case 6-5 happens, so....

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

God Simon is the best prosecutor. I want to replay all of 5 again just for him.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Case 3 was pretty bad, but I had no issue with time traveling Phoenix. It doesn't make a whole lot of sense, particularly with regards to Zak's psyche-lock, but it works as a storytelling device.

Plom Bar posted:

But that's been a staple of the series since literally Case #2, but the idea of poker tells being admissible in court is also a biiiiit of a stretch. I was glad when they relegated that to investigation segments only. But then Case 6-5 happens, so....

To be fair, Apollo does get punked for arguing from poker tells ("This is a cross-examination, not a cross-wild-conjecture!"), and he does always follow them up with evidence. It ends up working the same as pressing someone for new testimony.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Now that we've spent 3 games (more or less) getting to know Apollo, does that mean we get to move onto Athena in game 7? It can be a transitional thing--maybe she'll have to defend Apollo when he gets accused of murdering his mother. Let's face it, she's had an axe hanging over her since AA4 by virtue of being a parent who appeared onscreen and ended the game alive. It's time to collect. :gibs:

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Yeah, Apollo needs to be a defendant at some point. And Athena will definitely be getting the focus in AA7 unless they introduce Thor Drawley, the new hire at the agency and ace facial composite artist.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

Waffleman_ posted:

ace facial composite artist.

The quiet return of Vera Misham.

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

It is a game... where you will put your life on the line.
Lipstick Apathy
Larry meets his muse Misham and they get married and wind up in cahoots with Mask DeMasque and they go on their harmless crime sprees while Larry gets blamed for everything because of course his fingerprints are on something and Phoenix has to bail him out, again

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

nftyw posted:

Larry meets his muse Misham and they get married and wind up in cahoots with Mask DeMasque and they go on their harmless crime sprees while Larry gets blamed for everything because of course his fingerprints are on something and Phoenix has to bail him out, again

His fingerprints are on the Samurai Spear of course.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I want the next game to be a crossover with DC comics, for no reason.

Harvey Dent as the prosecutor.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Lurdiak posted:

I want the next game to be a crossover with DC comics, for no reason.

Harvey Dent as the prosecutor.

As long as we ALSO cross over with Marvel and have Jennifer Walters on defense.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

The game takes place after Harvey's been rehabilitated so he's totally normal at first and then relapses and inexplicably gets his scarred face back whenever the defense seems like they've won the case, at which point he acts way scarier and randomly fires a machine gun into the air.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Doomhammer
Feb 14, 2010

Great, now I want a what If? Batman game where Bruce Wayne became a defence attorney instead of Batman.