Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things

Somfin posted:

The parties don't use one method of information-gathering exclusively. Polls matter. Primary votes matter. What canvassers and phone banks hear matters. What people write in matters. What people say on Twitter matters. Politics are an information war and every scrap of information is collected from every source it possibly can be collected from.

The actual votes are gonna be an important part of that process, but they're just more data points in the ongoing war.
Ok, maybe this is true, but it's at odds with what the person I replied to was saying, so you should reply to them, and tell them they are wrong instead of quoting me.

quote:

And, of course, we must all remember that the only people saying they'll vote third party are all Libertarians living in comfortably blue states. In other words, cowards who only vote the way they do because they know that it isn't a risk, and spend 90% of their time trying to find new excuses to justify their lovely politics and horrific void morality.
This is just wrong. Also what's with calling people cowards? I've already addressed this, even if you're right, what's bad about being a coward? Are you suggesting people should engage in risky behavior with respect to voting? Do you also think using condoms is bad?

vintagepurple posted:

If the polls don't bear out results to a reasonable margin then the dems will stop taking them into account.

So vote Killary, cuz the Berninator did more to influence dem policy in one primary than Johnson, Stein, and Ла Рива did in multiple elections. gently caress, if foreign policy is your thing then even PRON HAUL and his voters did more to influence it.
Yes in some counter-factual, the Democrats would do something different than what they are doing now. I don't understand the rest of your post.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

twodot posted:

Ok, maybe this is true, but it's at odds with what the person I replied to was saying, so you should reply to them, and tell them they are wrong instead of quoting me.

I used you as an example, dude.

twodot posted:

This is just wrong. Also what's with calling people cowards? I've already addressed this, even if you're right, what's bad about being a coward? Are you suggesting people should engage in risky behavior with respect to voting? Do you also think using condoms is bad?

Do you think that people living in swing states should vote for (to use the most odiously popular example) Gary Johnson?

E: gently caress it, I'm not gonna bother with the runaround.

Do you think handing the country to Trump is a good outcome if it means a bunch of people get to vote for their perfect candidate, given that those perfect candidates do not want to win?

Somfin fucked around with this message at 10:53 on Oct 30, 2016

Sethex
Jun 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
https://mobile.twitter.com/Channel4News/status/794232437337247744

Looks like Zizek sees trump as less dangerous than Clinton. Funny that.

Sethex
Jun 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

VitalSigns posted:

Hi I have a question: how do we get leaders who oppose imperialism into office if we don't vote for them. For the purposes of this question, let's assume that millions of people are cool with voting for an imperialist such as Trump who is promising them endless colonial wars in the middle east until we've looted all the oil, because, well, because those millions demonstrably exist so it's a reasonable assumption.

Please write a long crazy screed about this rather than this boring-as-gently caress argument about what came first the accelerationists or the term 'a-c-c-e-l-e-r-a-t-i-o-n-i-s-t-s', tia

I would love to see American boots on the ground in the middle east a second time. That would be the end of US imperialism for the long run for sure.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Sethex posted:

https://mobile.twitter.com/Channel4News/status/794232437337247744

Looks like Zizek sees trump as less dangerous than Clinton. Funny that.

And?

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

He dumb af.

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

Bip Roberts posted:

He dumb af.

:agreed:

zizek is pretty much hot garbage

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Trump earning the coveted CineD vote.

Sethex
Jun 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
So like are you guys conventional unironic Democrats?

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

Somfin posted:

Do you think that people living in swing states should vote for (to use the most odiously popular example) Gary Johnson?
No. No one should vote for Gary Johnson.

quote:

Do you think handing the country to Trump is a good outcome if it means a bunch of people get to vote for their perfect candidate, given that those perfect candidates do not want to win?
This is plainly a bad outcome, but you're the one suggesting engaging in risky behavior is good. Why call people cowards unless you think they should be risking a Trump win? I'm the one that thinks people shouldn't risk a Trump win.
Edit:

Somfin posted:

I used you as an example, dude.
In what possible sense could I be an example of you describing how political parties form platforms?

twodot fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Nov 4, 2016

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

twodot posted:

Yes in some counter-factual, the Democrats would do something different than what they are doing now. I don't understand the rest of your post.

Why, to use your verb, is "signalling" the major parties with a third-party vote only a good choice for voters in non-swing states?

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

twodot posted:

No. No one should vote for Gary Johnson.

This is plainly a bad outcome, but you're the one suggesting engaging in risky behavior is good. Why call people cowards unless you think they should be risking a Trump win? I'm the one that thinks people shouldn't risk a Trump win.
Edit:

In what possible sense could I be an example of you describing how political parties form platforms?

Actually encouraging Gary Johnson votes is good because he siphons off the trump electorate more than the Shillary electorate.

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

Somfin posted:

Why, to use your verb, is "signalling" the major parties with a third-party vote only a good choice for voters in non-swing states?
In swing states, the likelihood of the population of people inclined to vote third party to actually matter makes the utility of attempting to sway the Democrats less than winning the election.

Panzeh posted:

Actually encouraging Gary Johnson votes is good because he siphons off the trump electorate more than the Shillary electorate.
This is a pretty good point.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
It isn't, because most polls shows that the second choice of Johnson voters is either evenly split between HRC and Trump, or slightly in favor of Clinton.

He is an idiot and you shouldn't vote for him, but he is not hardcore anti-choice, he is against the war on drugs (pro marijuana legalization), pro LGBT rights and against the death penalty. He's not stealing away more crazy right-wingers than he is young progressives.

Most of his typical right wing policies are the boring stuff. Private prisons, school vouchers, medical insurance and gun control.

The only major hot button issue that he is currently very clearly on the conservative side of is being super pro coal.

Edit: Yes, most of the "boring stuff" is super important and not boring at all. For general elections though, the big four buttons are LGBT rights, climate change/energy, wars and weed.

Doom Rooster fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Nov 4, 2016

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Doom Rooster posted:

For general elections though, the big four buttons are LGBT rights, climate change/energy, wars and weed.

Must be why they haven't really talked about climate change, weed, or the majority of wars the US is already involved in during the debates.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

call to action posted:

Must be why they haven't really talked about climate change, weed, or the majority of wars the US is already involved in during the debates.

They talked a lot about power/renewables (climate change) and ISIS in the two debates that I could force myself to sit through. Weed doesn't need a debate to get your targeted voters. It's established in the primaries at the latest, if you are pro or anti weed, and the relevant voters fall in line.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

twodot posted:

In swing states, the likelihood of the population of people inclined to vote third party to actually matter makes the utility of attempting to sway the Democrats less than winning the election.

So you want the Democratic Party candidate to win- you think that this is a good thing, you think that this is the right thing, you think it is such a good thing that people in swing states should compromise their deep-seated beliefs and vote Hillary- but you, personally, don't want to have to vote for her?

Sorry, I'm just trying to figure out the mindset that says "I want this person to win" and also says "I don't want to help them win" and doesn't reel from cognitive dissonance.

Somfin fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Nov 4, 2016

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

Somfin posted:

So you want the Democratic Party candidate to win- you think that this is a good thing, you think that this is the right thing- but you, personally, don't want to have to vote for her?

Sorry, I'm just trying to figure out the mindset that says "I want this person to win" and also says "I don't want to help them win" and doesn't reel from cognitive dissonance.

Step 1. Be privileged.

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

Somfin posted:

So you want the Democratic Party candidate to win- you think that this is a good thing, you think that this is the right thing, you think it is such a good thing that people in swing states should compromise their deep-seated beliefs and vote Hillary- but you, personally, don't want to have to vote for her?
I think it's the best available option. I would of course prefer the rest of the nation agree with my politics, but given the polling we have it's pretty clear that people broadly disagree with me, so I'll take what I can get. Voting for Clinton in a swing state isn't a matter of compromising your beliefs, it's a matter of doing the thing you think will result in the best outcome. Your beliefs should include supporting things that aren't your favorite thing when your favorite thing is unavailable and your least favorite thing is in danger of happening. It's not a matter of principles, this is purely consequentialist.

quote:

Voting for Clinton in Idaho doesn't do anything to help Clinton win, Trump will win Idaho, if you think you are doing anything to help Clinton win by voting for her in Idaho, you have fundamentally misunderstood how our elections work. Voting for Clinton in North Carolina or Florida arguably does something to help her win.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
Is there place all the thrown out votes go like that dumpster behind planned parenthood?

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

twodot posted:

I think it's the best available option. I would of course prefer the rest of the nation agree with my politics, but given the polling we have it's pretty clear that people broadly disagree with me, so I'll take what I can get. Voting for Clinton in a swing state isn't a matter of compromising your beliefs, it's a matter of doing the thing you think will result in the best outcome. Your beliefs should include supporting things that aren't your favorite thing when your favorite thing is unavailable and your least favorite thing is in danger of happening. It's not a matter of principles, this is purely consequentialist.

Voting for Clinton in Idaho doesn't do anything to help Clinton win, Trump will win Idaho, if you think you are doing anything to help Clinton win by voting for her in Idaho, you have fundamentally misunderstood how our elections work. Voting for Clinton in North Carolina or Florida arguably does something to help her win.

Are you seriously suggesting that Idaho Democrats shouldn't bother to vote for Hillary because it "won't help?"

E: While at the same time defending voting for people who wouldn't want to win even if they could?

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

Somfin posted:

Are you seriously suggesting that Idaho Democrats shouldn't bother to vote for Hillary because it "won't help?"

E: While at the same time defending voting for people who wouldn't want to win even if they could?
If they think she's the best candidate, they should vote for her for the same reason I vote for my preferred candidate, preference signaling. Not because they think they are helping her win.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

twodot posted:

If they think she's the best candidate, they should vote for her for the same reason I vote for my preferred candidate, preference signaling. Not because they think they are helping her win.

Let's ignore that preference signalling doesn't matter or change anything. If someone's vote could help her win, then they should vote for her?

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

Somfin posted:

Let's ignore that preference signalling doesn't matter or change anything. If someone's vote could help her win, then they should vote for her?
Yes? I don't understand how this is a question, given what I said. I'll leave it up to the reader to actually decide for themselves, but I think a Trump presidency is a bad enough outcome to overrule most other concerns.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

twodot posted:

Yes? I don't understand how this is a question, given what I said.

How do you think that it gets to the point where voting for Hillary will help her win?

I'll give you a hint: you don't do it by throwing up your hands and saying it's impossible. :ssh:

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

Who What Now posted:

How do you think that it gets to the point where voting for Hillary will help her win?

I'll give you a hint: you don't do it by throwing up your hands and saying it's impossible. :ssh:
Have you not been following along? If 50% of Idaho voters start voting Stein and Clinton, I think the Stein voters can figure out it's time to switch to Clinton. As is, there's no reason to think Idaho is anywhere close to a tipping point, and voting Clinton isn't going to get Idaho to the tipping point.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

twodot posted:

Have you not been following along? If 50% of Idaho voters start voting Stein and Clinton, I think the Stein voters can figure out it's time to switch to Clinton. As is, there's no reason to think Idaho is anywhere close to a tipping point, and voting Clinton isn't going to get Idaho to the tipping point.

You give Stein voters a lot more credit than I do.

And I'll ask again, since you (purposefully) ignored it, how does Idaho reach anywhere close to a tipping point?

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Who What Now posted:

And I'll ask again, since you (purposefully) ignored it, how does Idaho reach anywhere close to a tipping point?

It really has to start with trump having a less than 10 point lead I think. There's kind of a catch 22, but it's less applicable as the difference grows.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

Who What Now posted:

Obviously they can't, ever, no matter what, because otherwise it would mean he has an obligation to try to fight for (and vote for!) the candidate that he actually wants to be President and not waste his time with worthless ideological purity signposting.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Who What Now posted:

"Aw poo poo, if we hadn't voted for Stein then Hillary could have won. Welp!"

*Next election, votes 3rd party again, proves to be useless*

Note: Mainly I don't think most third party voters (like most voters in general) really know how their state is trending.

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

Who What Now posted:

Releasing a Republican targeted bioweapon? Like I have no clue how to shift Idaho absent significant demographic changes. If you know how to flip Idaho in 2016, you should stop posting here and be someone's campaign manager. Do you think the reason Idaho is deep red is because too many Democratic sympathetic voters are voting third party?

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

twodot posted:

If you know how to flip Idaho in 2016, you should stop posting here and be someone's campaign manager.

You don't flip a state in a year. Just look at Iowa. Solid red for decades. Now a swing state with a fairly solid recent blue track record. And the reason for that is because blue voters got out and loving voted, year after year, pushing the number toward the centre, rather than looking at the polls and deciding "Ah gently caress it, my personal sacred vote won't change anything, I might as well vote for Stein."

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

Somfin posted:

You don't flip a state in a year. Just look at Iowa. Solid red for decades. Now a swing state with a fairly solid recent blue track record. And the reason for that is because blue voters got out and loving voted, year after year, pushing the number toward the centre, rather than looking at the polls and deciding "Ah gently caress it, my personal sacred vote won't change anything, I might as well vote for Stein."
This seems to totally ignore my post where I said third party voters are totally capable of observing how they should vote in any given election. Maybe certain individual third party voters are idiots who will never adjust their vote, but that's not a condemnation of third party voting as a strategy. In 2016 Trump is winning Idaho, that is just a fact, and no one's attempted to dispute that.
Edit:
Also for the purposes of this thread are you claiming Iowa flipped because third party voters stopped voting third party?

twodot fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Nov 5, 2016

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

twodot posted:

Releasing a Republican targeted bioweapon? Like I have no clue how to shift Idaho absent significant demographic changes. If you know how to flip Idaho in 2016, you should stop posting here and be someone's campaign manager. Do you think the reason Idaho is deep red is because too many Democratic sympathetic voters are voting third party?

The way to change voting demographics has been known for a long time, you encourage people to vote for your party so that you can prove you have the base needed to make the changes that they want next election. The reasonable goal is to incrementally increase turnout every year until you tip the scales. But just pretending that it's impossible from the get go and you should never even try is the dumbest thing ever. How do you ever accomplish anything in your life with this outlook?

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

Who What Now posted:

The way to change voting demographics has been known for a long time, you encourage people to vote for your party so that you can prove you have the base needed to make the changes that they want next election. The reasonable goal is to incrementally increase turnout every year until you tip the scales. But just pretending that it's impossible from the get go and you should never even try is the dumbest thing ever. How do you ever accomplish anything in your life with this outlook?
Look if you want to go out and flip Idaho, I'll never tell you not to. People who aren't idiots just realize flipping other states is a way better way to spend resources. You quizzing me on how to flip Idaho just doesn't make any sense in this conversation. If flipping Idaho is possible, go out and do it! What's stopping you?

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

twodot posted:

Look if you want to go out and flip Idaho, I'll never tell you not to. People who aren't idiots just realize flipping other states is a way better way to spend resources. You quizzing me on how to flip Idaho just doesn't make any sense in this conversation. If flipping Idaho is possible, go out and do it! What's stopping you?

Trying to convince defeatist idiots is how you do it. I just explained that to you in the post you quoted. I'm sorry that it's not a magical instant fix-all, but if that's all you're willing to accept then you're going to lead a very disappointing life.

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

Who What Now posted:

Trying to convince defeatist idiots is how you do it. I just explained that to you in the post you quoted. I'm sorry that it's not a magical instant fix-all, but if that's all you're willing to accept then you're going to lead a very disappointing life.
So your stance here is that specifically Idaho is deep red because of third party voters? That if only third party voters could see the light Idaho would be contestable?

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

twodot posted:

Also for the purposes of this thread are you claiming Iowa flipped because third party voters stopped voting third party?

I'm sorry that you have fallen so far into "not perfect therefore not good," but no, I'm not saying that. Iowa hasn't loving flipped. Iowa is a swing state that is polling worryingly red.

But it sure as gently caress wouldn't have become a swing state if it didn't get close for a couple years. And it wouldn't get close if every single would-be Democratic Party voter looked at the polls and said "Yeah well the person I agree with mostly is not gonna win, it's never gonna happen, gently caress everything, I'mma put my vote toward Snake Oil McGee and his fancy teeth."

Every one of you defeatist accellerationist dipshits we can convince is another vote toward making safe states unsafe and unsafe states swing and swing states flip.

On a related note, check back through your post history in this thread. Have you noticed how often you retreat back to "Yeah, you're right, but are you really blaming me third party voters?" That's what I'm talking about when I talk about cowardice. You are to blame for your vote. If your vote could have helped and it didn't, you are to blame for it.

and every single vote helps, you fuckhead

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

Somfin posted:

and every single vote helps, you fuckhead
This is just not true, and if you think it's true, you don't understand how American elections work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

twodot posted:

This is just not true, and if you think it's true, you don't understand how American elections work.

Voting matters in the aggregate. Enough people don't vote, then it has repercussions?

• Locked thread