Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

The problem is that the characters look like someone cut them out of a comic book and pasted them onto something completely unrelated. The whole composition of the image is just bad.

It reminds me of some Kyle Baker's horrible computer stuff where he puts poser models over images he finds on Google image search. Janin's poser model work is worlds ahead of Baker's though.

X-O fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Nov 2, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~

X-O posted:

The problem is that the characters look like someone cut them out of a comic book and pasted them onto something completely unrelated. The whole composition of the image is just bad.

It reminds me of some Kyle Baker's horrible computer stuff where he puts poser models over images he finds on Google image search. Janin's poser model work is worlds ahead of Baker's though.

Makes me think of those last issues of Imperium where some backgrounds were "lazily semi-grunge-blotch-filtered real life photo". Maybe I'm overreacting but that soured my engagement with the final arc.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I'm with X-O on this one, I think. Superman, meanwhile, continues to be great.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
What order is that meant to be read in?

1) They climb in on the top left.
2) Catwoman lowers the Ventriloquist down to a pipe below.
3) Then they jump down to a pipe that's even lower?
4) Then they rocket up towards the viewer sliding down a water pipe I guess?
5) Then your eye sort of wanders around and you see them climbing up a pipe connected to the one they were lowered onto in 'panel' 3, even though it appears to be attached to the higher pipe from 'panel' 2.
6) Then Ventriloquist is kind of sliding down a 'panel' in the top right, which might be the same pipe from 'panel' 3, except all the way across the page and also higher? Catwoman is swinging somewhere too.
7) Now Ventriloquist is crawling on the same pipe he got lowered onto in 'panel' 2, and Catwoman is swinging above(?) it.
8) Ah! Now they're all the way through the pipe maze, in the lower right, right in your face. Although given the relative size of the characters in each 'panel' pretty much everything in steps 2-7 were actually much farther away from this 'panel' than where they initially entered in 'panel' 1.

On the other hand, if Billy from Family Circus ever somehow merged with MC Escher but retained Billy's understanding of spatial perspective and geometry, this is pretty on the mark.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Superman is so great and calcifies my opinion that Damian Wayne is actually the greatest DC character they currently have.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Yeah the characters in the pipe maze look fine, but the pipes really just look like untouched cgi. I can't tell if he's even altered anything about it, it looks like something in Unreal engine.

trashbuilder
Dec 26, 2013

Look at all the poor opinions I have
I assumed it was unfinished art and refuse to believe that anyone would put that in the book and say "yup, this is a thing people will pay money for"

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

trashbuilder posted:

I assumed it was unfinished art and refuse to believe that anyone would put that in the book and say "yup, this is a thing people will pay money for"

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
Pull up digital justice

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Speaking of bad art, did anyone check out Cyborg this week? That did not look good.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

trashbuilder posted:

Again, I like Janin's art for the most part, his work in the Rebirth issue was really good. But seeing Tom King hold up that image in particular as a shining beacon of what's to come is really odd.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I had no expectations for Midnighter and Apollo and hadn't read the previous series but these first two issues have been quite well-written and enjoyable. I'm also glad the DCU apparently now has its own gay Latin Dr. Strange. I mean, I know the character's old, but I hadn't known that they'd brought the guy back from Offensive Stereotype Limbo and made him kinda cool.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Holy poo poo, this week's Superman was great. Basically a zero issue for Supersons.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

BrianWilly posted:

I had no expectations for Midnighter and Apollo and hadn't read the previous series

Please read Midnighter.

badjohny
Oct 6, 2005

I wish D.C. Would somehow one up marvel unlimited. I would pay for it day one. I know they have license issues with old content, But they could put out what they had and current content.

Then over time add in more old stuff like marvel does.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

thanks for giving me Twisted Metal Black flashbacks

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
RHATO 4 Preview

So pretty :allears:

Alucard Nacirema
Apr 22, 2008

by exmarx
Sugar & Spike will be regulars in Blue Beetle beginning with issue 3.

I have been reading DC Comics since 1992 and have never heard of them until 5 minutes ago. Have they been in anything noteworthy?

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

They were in some of the Convergence stuff I think? I think they had some back ups in something over the last year.

You racist.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Giffen's Sugar and Spike from Legends of Tomorrow, where they're hired to cover up their kooky embarrassing golden/silver age stuff (ie: Alfred hires them when someone takes off with Batman's rainbow and zebra suits.)
There's a trade coming sometime soon.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Nov 4, 2016

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

I hate to even consider saying this, but I'm getting a big kick out of RHatO's Artemis. I actually think this snarky schtick is working better for her than a lot of her prior interpretations.

Now how will they gently caress this up? STAY TUNED

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

BrianWilly posted:

I hate to even consider saying this, but I'm getting a big kick out of RHatO's Artemis. I actually think this snarky schtick is working better for her than a lot of her prior interpretations.

Jason shoots her and says "Looks like your ART of time"

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

I'm frankly disappointed that Jason, whose alter-ego is Red Hood, is calling someone else Red. His brand is getting so diluted and its his own fault. "Artie" would be funnier, and let him keep his own thing going on.

Alucard Nacirema
Apr 22, 2008

by exmarx

purple death ray posted:

They were in some of the Convergence stuff I think? I think they had some back ups in something over the last year.

You racist.

Oh learn a new tune already

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Alucard Nacirema posted:

Stop posting

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Alucard Nacirema posted:

I can hum a few bars of "you're a huge loving bigot" if you like?

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Superman #10 was fantastic.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Alucard Nacirema posted:

k

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tbud8rLejLM

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

i'm more a fan of

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JFGQdvYIJ0M

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

BrianWilly posted:

I almost hesitate to ask, but how is that book? I mean, it's a Red Hood book, so I'm obviously wary, but the idea of those three characters together is interesting to me.

Alucard Nacirema
Apr 22, 2008

by exmarx

I like talking about comics but I don't want to be cyber bullied while doing it

Alucard Nacirema fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Nov 4, 2016

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I really hope this isn't a gimmick because holy poo poo you're the dumbest and most pathetic motherfucker on this planet.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Alucard Nacirema posted:

Are we supposed to feel sorry for you? Because I really don't.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Alucard Nacirema posted:

On the other hand you make people feel lovely and awful when they get actual representation in comics by going "Well, you might have been neglected in comics for years because society is lovely but no heroes should ever be like you." So you have no right to complain about cyber bullying. You lose the right to talk about cyber-bullying when you whine that heroes shouldn't be minorities because a previous version of that hero wasn't. You're doing nothing but making people feel bad about something that makes them happy and reminding them that there are lovely bigots (like you!) who want nothing more than to make them feel bad.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Nov 4, 2016

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Just to be crystal loving clear: it isnt bullying to insult or marginalize someone for being an intolerant bigot. That isnt how bullying works. You dumb backwards-rear end idiotic homophobic worthless racist motherfucker.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

purple death ray posted:

I'm frankly disappointed that Jason, whose alter-ego is Red Hood, is calling someone else Red. His brand is getting so diluted and its his own fault. "Artie" would be funnier, and let him keep his own thing going on.

Well duh, of course Jason would call her "Red". They are Mr. and Mrs. Red and Bizarro is their child :v:

Dexie posted:

I almost hesitate to ask, but how is that book? I mean, it's a Red Hood book, so I'm obviously wary, but the idea of those three characters together is interesting to me.

Pretty darn good. And not only because I'm saying it, for pretty much everyone RHATO is one of the biggest surprises from Rebirth.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Lick! The! Whisk! posted:

Superman is so great and calcifies my opinion that Damian Wayne is actually the greatest DC character they currently have.

I didn't like Damian Wayne in concept or from previous admittedly limited exposure but in Superman he read like they'd distilled the paranoia from the pre Infinite Crisis bomb shelter dwelling rear end in a top hat Batman and it made me smile

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Alucard's ignorance is no longer a topic of conversation in this thread. So drop it.

And Alucard if you think about bringing up some nonsense about diversity, race, sexual orientation, or whatever again in this thread or any other, just don't.

Now that's the end of that.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Dexie posted:

My genuine reaction is that it's fine. A lot of your enjoyment will live and die based on how interesting you find these characters, so you have an advantage there. Jason's melodramatic narration can get a bit much at times -- the book basically runs on them -- but I've read far worse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Well duh, of course Jason would call her "Red". They are Mr. and Mrs. Red and Bizarro is their child :v:

Correct.

I never even knew Artimis existed before the new RHATO volume and she's already one of my favorite characters.