Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

hahahah, holy poo poo, when I saw the thread title I assumed it was minor drama but this poo poo is gold

Hahaha same, this is incredible. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

OwlFancier posted:

If the game starts to model human pregnancy you do realise it's also going to create a demand for a morning after pill drug that you can prescribe to all your female colonists once daily so they don't get debuffed and make useless children that you have to feed and I can't loving wait for the article on the ethics of that no siree... :can:

Good thing I played before the baby leather jacket farms started to appear.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Bug Squash posted:

I'm patiently waiting for Tynan's next meltdown. It's problably going to be more :biotruths: , so my moneys on it being a 2000 word rant about race realism.

Something something 2000 word essay

https://www.reddit.com/r/RimWorld/comments/5ax9a9/some_notes_on_recent_controversies/

TheSwizzler
May 13, 2005

LETTIN THE CAT OUTTA THE BAG

Bug Squash posted:

I'm patiently waiting for Tynan's next meltdown. It's problably going to be more :biotruths: , so my moneys on it being a 2000 word rant about race realism.

"first amendment" meltdown after someone makes a backer character based on the person who wrote the article (hauling disabled, stinky jerk)

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

new phone who dis posted:

A video game is oppressing my bisexuality!

If you think I actually have a horse in this fight, you're dead wrong.

I'm just laughing at how ridiculous Tynan's reaction was (and at his defenders like you.)

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
I only heard about this rigmarole from the Fabgoon thread. Don't even care about the game because, to my disappointment, no rimming is involved. But I expect my royalty check in the mail regarding the thread title.

gandlethorpe posted:

Can't wait for his next game, "No Man's Bi".

Timestamp: Nov 3, 2016 01:02 :colbert:

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

No one tell gaming media about Dwarf Fortress, where the murder of children is common and I'm pretty sure that dwarves can marry certain animals.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
My favourite dev moment from Toady was when that one guy made a gigantic contraption that involved breeding mermaids, firing their children down chutes where they'd suffocate without water, then be taken to the butcher shop so their bones could be put onto furniture and crafting stuff, prompting Toady to go "What the gently caress." and nerf the price of mermaid bones to stop that one guy's infernal baby mermaid bone machine.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

That guys description of the whole machine was so clinical and profit-focused too, it was great

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

NightVis posted:

"first amendment" meltdown after someone makes a backer character based on the person who wrote the article (hauling disabled, stinky jerk)

How is that any different from the other backer characters?

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual
I'd just like to clarify that what I was attempting in this thread was to suggest accountability to those who, without citation or example, asserted that a person is "alt-right" a supporter of gamergate or otherwise holds the wrong political or ethical views. If you've read my posts and thought that I was somehow being intolerant of a particular sexual orientation: please let me know.

TheSwizzler
May 13, 2005

Keeshhound posted:

How is that any different from the other backer characters?

good point someone tip RPS off about Emmie

TheSwizzler
May 13, 2005

Dorkopotamis posted:

I'd just like to clarify that what I was attempting in this thread was to suggest accountability to those who, without citation or example, asserted that a person is "alt-right" a supporter of gamergate or otherwise holds the wrong political or ethical views. If you've read my posts and thought that I was somehow being intolerant of a particular sexual orientation: please let me know.

Tynan's a dumb clown who shouldn't be listened to about anything but the spergiest aspects of game design, he definitely defended goobergoblin and does interviews with breitbart.

good game tho

Solefald
Jun 9, 2010

sleepy~capy

Had a nice chat with him on twitter about this whole thing and he seemed like a reasonable chap who is planning to learn more about why what he said is pretty poo poo.

This whole situation is a bit silly really.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

Mokinokaro posted:

If you think I actually have a horse in this fight, you're dead wrong.

I'm just laughing at how ridiculous Tynan's reaction was (and at his defenders like you.)

You're correct that it's ridiculous to think that anyone should interact with any of these lovely cultural critics on any meaningful level.

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Where angels and generals fear to tread.
Remember that time last year Tynan compared Muslims to Hitler

Pretty sure there was another one there he deleted

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
He also allegedly did jump into that whole GG nonsense when it started, including defending Totalbiscuit.

EDIT: And yeah, he does mostly come off as reasonable now.

Mokinokaro fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Nov 4, 2016

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

The brilliance of my posting illuminates the forums like a jar of shining gold when all around is dark
That 3000 word essay on Reddit is disappointingly reasonable and levelheaded coming from the designer of Shipwrecked On Planet Mengele No Man's Bi.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Mokinokaro posted:

He also allegedly did jump into that whole GG nonsense when it started, including defending Totalbiscuit.

All I know about TB was watching him be laughably bad at every game he previewed (I will never forget his PS 2 flight demo that was just him crashing on takeoff and flying into bridges). Did he do something legitimately lovely other than just be bad at games and have an annoying radio personality?

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!

Voyager I posted:

All I know about TB was watching him be laughably bad at every game he previewed (I will never forget his PS 2 flight demo that was just him crashing on takeoff and flying into bridges). Did he do something legitimately lovely other than just be bad at games and have an annoying radio personality?

Disabled comments on Youtube because they hurt his feelings?

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Autism posted:

His talk was about this exact form of analysis. One of the examples he used was a variable from the Mii object on the wii: isFemale=false

This clearly and undeniably perpetuates maleness as a default state — why is it worthless to interrogate that?
It's just ragingly anti-intellectual.

In case anyone was wondering, this is because a boolean uses less memory than any other type of variable that might be used to store a binary switch.

If the variable was isMale=false, would you say it was undeniably perpetuating femaleness as the default state? You have no other options.

That's why the digital humanities are worthless and people who don't know how to code shouldn't blather about how it has "significance."

Cup Runneth Over fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Nov 4, 2016

ReverendCode
Nov 30, 2008

Cup Runneth Over posted:

In case anyone was wondering, this is because a boolean uses less memory than any other type of variable that might be used to store a binary switch.

If the variable was isMale=false, would you say it was undeniably perpetuating femaleness as the default state? You have no other options.

That's why the digital humanities are worthless and people who don't know how to code shouldn't blather about how it has "significance."

No no, in that case, you are clearly stating that the only label worth having is maleness, and you are intentionally reducing the essence of womanhood to being a lack of some essential piece.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

ReverendCode posted:

No no, in that case, you are clearly stating that the only label worth having is maleness, and you are intentionally reducing the essence of womanhood to being a lack of some essential piece.

Yeah pretty much. winnable=false;

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

WHEN WE DON'T KNOW WHO TO HATE, WE HATE OURSELVES.-SA USER NATION (AKA ME!)
i hope everyone dies

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Danaru posted:

My favourite dev moment from Toady was when that one guy made a gigantic contraption that involved breeding mermaids, firing their children down chutes where they'd suffocate without water, then be taken to the butcher shop so their bones could be put onto furniture and crafting stuff, prompting Toady to go "What the gently caress." and nerf the price of mermaid bones to stop that one guy's infernal baby mermaid bone machine.

Okay but mermaid bones were INCREDIBLY valuable. I am not saying I would farm newborn mermaids for their bones myself but I can't bring myself to condemn an honest dwarf for doing so.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Mister Adequate posted:

Okay but mermaid bones were INCREDIBLY valuable. I am not saying I would farm newborn mermaids for their bones myself but I can't bring myself to condemn an honest dwarf for doing so.

Mermaids don't form civilizations so it's really on them for being indwarven savages.

Though it's an incredibly stark contrast from my DF playstyle, where I took the Goblins I caught in cage traps and constructed rooms for them to live out the rest of their days in peace, complete with beds for each of them and food dropped in from a hatch. :unsmith:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

rimjobworld

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
People being hurt by others' actions hurts me because then I'm reminded of my total lack of empathy. You might say I'm... triggered.

:qqsay:

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

I'm pretty sure Dwarf Fortress added an advanced attraction system that covered every possible level of attraction or lack there of and expressed them in meticulously reseated statistically plausible quantities.

I seem to recall this creating issues with gay breeding animals. Classic Dwarf Fortress stuff.

The thread title is hilarious. Tynan is an idiot. The game is fun. The RPS article was reasonable. There we go. That's my take.

People defending Tynan are dumb too. Defend the game as still worth playing, sure. I mean, I'd politely disagree with someone who felt this tainted the whole game (though I understand why someone would feel that way). But the guy is an idiot about this stuff, no doubt about it. His idiocy expressed itself in game mechanics, and that's gonna be called out. Just like any other lovely part of this often-wonky game would be griped about. The fact that people are doing anything but making GBS threads on Tynan is mind boggling, really. What kind of hosed up defensive tribalism reads something like a personal attack in a critique of dumb game systems?

Anyway, if he said he'd deal with it, that's a good reaction (even if his initial reaction was hilariously bad). This game doesn't have to be terrible about this stuff. There's a backer character where it casually mentions they were born a different gender from their current one, like it was no big deal. That's cool. I mean, it wasn't Tynan's idea, but it's in the game and that's cool.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Eiba posted:

I'm pretty sure Dwarf Fortress added an advanced attraction system that covered every possible level of attraction or lack there of and expressed them in meticulously reseated statistically plausible quantities.

I seem to recall this creating issues with gay breeding animals. Classic Dwarf Fortress stuff.

The thread title is hilarious. Tynan is an idiot. The game is fun. The RPS article was reasonable. There we go. That's my take.

People defending Tynan are dumb too. Defend the game as still worth playing, sure. I mean, I'd politely disagree with someone who felt this tainted the whole game (though I understand why someone would feel that way). But the guy is an idiot about this stuff, no doubt about it. His idiocy expressed itself in game mechanics, and that's gonna be called out. Just like any other lovely part of this often-wonky game would be griped about. The fact that people are doing anything but making GBS threads on Tynan is mind boggling, really. What kind of hosed up defensive tribalism reads something like a personal attack in a critique of dumb game systems?

Anyway, if he said he'd deal with it, that's a good reaction (even if his initial reaction was hilariously bad). This game doesn't have to be terrible about this stuff. There's a backer character where it casually mentions they were born a different gender from their current one, like it was no big deal. That's cool. I mean, it wasn't Tynan's idea, but it's in the game and that's cool.

That character is also one of the most useful pawns in the game and constantly shows up because of how few female starting colonists are backers.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
Couldn't Tynan have just asked to see the final article before it got posted? I mean, allow editing. Heck, I think if he had a chance to read before it was shown to the public it would have allowed him to digest it better. It seems like there is good discourse now that he is taking to heart.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

Donkringel posted:

Couldn't Tynan have just asked to see the final article before it got posted? I mean, allow editing. Heck, I think if he had a chance to read before it was shown to the public it would have allowed him to digest it better. It seems like there is good discourse now that he is taking to heart.

Amazing how the controversy evaporates when you remove the filter of click-bait outrage.

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

WHEN WE DON'T KNOW WHO TO HATE, WE HATE OURSELVES.-SA USER NATION (AKA ME!)
its very annoying when the gay guy keeps hitting on the not gay guys

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

a whole buncha crows posted:

its very annoying when the gay guy keeps hitting on the not gay guys

solution: gay conversion therapy

you need to make all those not gay guys into gay guys

Heffer
May 1, 2003

Have an option for hostile tribes to be all gay men or all lesbian women

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Replace all colonists with robots with no social relationships whatsoever

beep boop

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008

Away all Goats posted:

Replace all colonists with robots with no social relationships whatsoever

beep boop

So fun thing about that. The robot MAI mod allows you to build robo colonists. By the time I research up to them I usually have enough cores to make a male and female robo. They always fall in love and get married. One time the male robo got into a social fight with another colonist. The colonist won, accidentally killed the robo. I heard the his and the detonation killed three other colonists (including the winner) and started a fire in my dining room.

The widow was still robo-happy.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
The new thread title triggers me. Can I write a hateful article about the thread and post it on RPS now?

But seriously, someone used early access code going "okay this is final" and caused controversy about orientation in a game about harvesting prisoners organs and selling them as slaves.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

IAmTheRad posted:

The new thread title triggers me. Can I write a hateful article about the thread and post it on RPS now?

Only if you want Lowtax to laugh at you on Twitter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

IAmTheRad posted:

But seriously, someone used early access code going "okay this is final" and caused controversy about orientation in a game about harvesting prisoners organs and selling them as slaves.

It's not about that. It's just something you can do in the game.