Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
I thought the show did a good job considering the circumstances that have been hurting this tourney with the injuries.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Charles Gnarwin posted:

That's how I feel. If the tag team was a couple of jacked dudes (or even just Wolfe and anyone but Fulton), they'd be much more acceptable. Eric Young isn't bad as a weirdo leader and Nikki Cross is great as the rabid pug.

Pretty decent episode tonight. I like that the Dusty Classic is a tournament that goes on tour and there are a bunch of stories woven into the brackets.

Ironic that the best match of TM61's run so far was a singles match. Wish Roddy didn't lose his second match but Nakamura's boot sort of made that decision for NXT.

I think the Revival dropping out would have been better placed after the AoP match because then they get to deny DIY the match and also look like cowards for avoiding AoP in the brackets.

I mean in kayfabe that's what they did because the California matches were labelled as being pretaped (despite actually being filmed after the Full Sail ones), but, yeah, they should have reversed the running order and have Tom Phillips maybe play that up as what they did. Maybe they want the story to be that The Revival are afraid of DIY?

I'm more the opposite with Sanity, I don't mind the tag team but I don't understand what Eric Young's purpose really is, especially if Rovert(?) was right about End and Damo potentially joining, and Nikki Cross feels miscast.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I hope Sawyer's only in the group so they can kick him out, then he can continue his character of failed gimmicks.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
Trying to get confirmation on what were the pre-injury plans for the Dusty. Seemingly Roddy & Aries were going to face Itami & Ibushi.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

rovert posted:

Trying to get confirmation on what were the pre-injury plans for the Dusty. Seemingly Roddy & Aries were going to face Itami & Ibushi.

That seemed like the likely match up from the brackets which suggests TM-61 and Sanity got further than they were supposed to. Unless they were going to have Aries and Itami cost each other their quarter finals?

sticklefifer posted:

I hope Sawyer's only in the group so they can kick him out, then he can continue his character of failed gimmicks.

If End and Damo come in and kick out Young and Fulton, it'll improve the team and make them into proper European anarchists. Whoever heard of a Canadian anarchist?

GEORGE W BUSHI fucked around with this message at 08:49 on Nov 3, 2016

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
FYI: Tonight is Tozawa's final match and graduation from Dragon Gate, so he should be on his way shortly. I imagine they'll stick him in NXT and not just go straight to Raw.

Norwegian Rudo
May 9, 2013

sticklefifer posted:

FYI: Tonight is Tozawa's final match and graduation from Dragon Gate, so he should be on his way shortly. I imagine they'll stick him in NXT and not just go straight to Raw.

He'll work Raw and the new CW show as well as NXT house shows.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Cedric Alexander has the best CW treatment right now. He gets to appear on Raw for wider exposure but he also has a storyline on NXT so he gets to be on a competently made wrestling show as well.

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST
Meltzer reporting that Io Shirai will probably begin with WWE NXT sometime after April (she has a homecoming show then). Kairi is a possibility in April as well, but Stardom is still trying to keep her.

quote:

Speaking of women, it now looks like Kairi Hojo is coming with Io Shirai. Stardom knew last week that Shirai was leaving and Hojo was on the verge, and was pushing for Hojo to stay noting she'd be their top star. Right now both are scheduled to stay with Stardom through about April of next year. Shirai will have her 10th anniversary big show on 3/20 at Korakuen Hall and that will be her last major event. Hojo will have a homecoming show in April and then also probably be leaving, although Stardom is trying to convince her to stay because losing one won't be so bad but losing both will be devastating, in particular because they have nobody at their level to elevate to take their places. The promotions' big three of late have been those two and Mayu Iwatani.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Io Shirai is good, and everyone should watch Stardom.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013

rovert posted:

Confirmed.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Pretty deflated that I could've gotten that match live but at least we'll always have ring generals like The Authors of Pain

Germ Incubator
Nov 4, 2009

*Cowboy Shit*
I love Io this would be awesome, if only her sister were still wrestling, bring back Triple Tails!

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

Germ Incubator posted:

I love Io this would be awesome, if only her sister were still wrestling, bring back Triple Tails!

Yeah. :(

Threedom has been pretty great at least.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

Hojo/Shirai coming in would solve the Asuka problem immediately.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

sign meiko (the best) too and effectively kill main event joshi wrestling for the next couple years

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

RealFoxy posted:

Hojo/Shirai coming in would solve the Asuka problem immediately.

Giving Asuka more formidable opponents just makes her happier!

AMReese
Jan 31, 2011

I'm driving with my mind!
How long do joshi wrestlers stick around? I know there's some that went for decades, but I'm wondering what the average "shelf life" is in Japan. Is it similar to America?

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

until semi-recently there was an unofficial age limit and with a few exceptions for gigantic stars they stopped getting booked by 30. We're only just now in the generation following that so it's largely uncharted territory still being felt out. The big names from that era still work from time to time but it's fun gimmicky appearances nowhere near the pace they were working in the 80s and 90s

oatgan fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Nov 4, 2016

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
The jury is very much out for me but Gabe is more right than wrong in his predictions:

https://twitter.com/BookItGabe/status/794301254646321157

Solus
May 31, 2011

Drongos.
It'd be a loving travesty if he doesn't. Dude is great.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
Tommy End is better in the ring and on the mic than Finn Balor, if he gets the same level of investment from NXT and then the main roster I don't see why he can't get over to the same degree if not more so than Finn was before he got hurt.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Grozz Nuy posted:

I don't see why he can't get over to the same degree if not more so than Finn was before he got hurt.

He didn't go to Japan

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Tommy will live and die by how cool his music/presentation is because that's more important than anything else, honestly. If they can nail that and have something that stands out as unique he'll be a star.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

they should definitely put him in the dead end that is sanity

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice

oatgan posted:

He didn't go to Japan

cima is the ultimate inspiration to modern wrestling and tommy end did some euro dragon gate dates

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Grozz Nuy posted:

Tommy End is better in the ring and on the mic than Finn Balor, if he gets the same level of investment from NXT and then the main roster I don't see why he can't get over to the same degree if not more so than Finn was before he got hurt.

I guess the real question is how invested they are in End, but you make an interesting comparison with Balor.

Balor's NXT push was carefully managed and well-protected -- they debuted him in a hot angle (back when Full Sail still cared about The Ascension), moved him up the card at a steady pace, only gave him losses when it mattered and wouldn't hurt his status (like his first title shot against Owens), and then pulled the trigger at the right time (winning the title in Japan) before cementing him as The Guy. From the very beginning they were committed to making Balor a star. Nakamura got the same kind of push when he came over (although it was accelerated due to the mass call-ups at the time).

Will End get that same treatment? I hope so, but not sure.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

Benne posted:

I guess the real question is how invested they are in End, but you make an interesting comparison with Balor.

Balor's NXT push was carefully managed and well-protected -- they debuted him in a hot angle (back when Full Sail still cared about The Ascension), moved him up the card at a steady pace, only gave him losses when it mattered and wouldn't hurt his status (like his first title shot against Owens), and then pulled the trigger at the right time (winning the title in Japan) before cementing him as The Guy. From the very beginning they were committed to making Balor a star. Nakamura got the same kind of push when he came over (although it was accelerated due to the mass call-ups at the time).

Will End get that same treatment? I hope so, but not sure.

He's probably not enough of a pre-established 'name' like Devitt or Nakamura were to get the 'we are going to groom you to be a main eventer the whole way' treatment, but he should. Then again, Styles had to gently caress around in the midcard with Jericho for months after coming in to WWE and now he's WWE champion, so who knows.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
https://twitter.com/FLWrestlingFan/status/794353285746540544

Roddy's Florida live event debut. But what caught my eye is Tommy cutting promo in a suit. A suit is usually symbolic of someone NXT thinks of a top guy.

https://twitter.com/New_Era_15/status/794350935619289088

Normally people do they introductory promo in a shirt and flip flops or whatever.

Cool Post Beg
Mar 6, 2008

DADDY MAGIC
Top Guy Tommy is something I can get behind

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
What's Roddy using as his finish on these NXT house shows? Are they letting him use End of Heartache?

I don't suppose that necessarily indicates anything since Hideo used G2S on house shows long before he ever did it on TV, but I'm curious nonetheless.

AMReese
Jan 31, 2011

I'm driving with my mind!
I remember from that E:60 documentary that WWE was a fan of the "suit with tattoos" look that Corey Graves has (at least Michael Hayes was a fan), so I wouldn't be surprised if they're trying to replicate it.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Any stories about what's happening with the rest of the CWC who hasn't shown up beyond the tournament? I know Ibushi hasn't signed and Tozawa just got done with DG, but I haven't heard much about the rest. Is Gran Metalik still coming? Wasn't Tajiri supposed to have signed? What about Jack Gallagher, etc.?

sticklefifer fucked around with this message at 09:02 on Nov 4, 2016

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

sticklefifer posted:

Any stories about what's happening with the rest of the CWC who hasn't shown up beyond the tournament? I know Ibushi hasn't signed and Tozawa just got done with DG, but I haven't heard much about the rest. Is Gran Metalik still coming? Wasn't Tajiri supposed to have signed? What about Jack Gallagher, etc.?

#205Live

Dorada is finishing up next week(or was it this week?)

Norwegian Rudo
May 9, 2013

oatgan posted:

until semi-recently there was an unofficial age limit and with a few exceptions for gigantic stars they stopped getting booked by 30. We're only just now in the generation following that so it's largely uncharted territory still being felt out. The big names from that era still work from time to time but it's fun gimmicky appearances nowhere near the pace they were working in the 80s and 90s

That timeline is shaky. Until the early 90's AJW had the age limit, but some continued to wrestle for other promotions. The late 80's, early 90's generation are the old pros that continue to work full time still (Toyota, Aja, Kyoko, Ozaki etc).

The generation from later into the 90's are mostly retired, or just working occasionally for fun. Meiko/Borshoi have their own promotions, so are excepted, but the only other one who works full time that comes to mind is Ayako Hamada.

The later generations are basically all doing it as a hobby, so they have little reason to work for too long. I'd say most retire before they hit 30 these days.

schweens
Jan 14, 2011

kakarot ain't got shit on me

sticklefifer posted:

http://www.wwe.com/article/205-live-premieres-nov-29-on-wwe-network?sf40786467=1

All of the guys you mentioned are listed for 205 Live besides Tajiri and Ibushi. I was curious about Tajiri since it seemed he was coming to Raw and really he would be a nice addition to Raw or Smackdown.

Also, more HoHo Lun. Get hype

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

schweens posted:

Also, more HoHo Lun.

gently caress

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
A new referee Darryl Sharma from Toronto:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BMYGx_SheVQ/

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Do we know if Tajiri is working as a road agent or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Basic Chunnel posted:

Do we know if Tajiri is working as a road agent or something?

Seems unlikely as he's stil wrestling a fairly regular schedule in Japan right now

• Locked thread