Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

CommieGIR posted:

I kept reading this as Railroad Hall of Fame.

Can we have this instead?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Way behind on this thread due to vacation, but figured I'd chime in on the candy-fest that was Monday night.

I got back from vacation about 5pm, and was pretty damned tired, so I thought briefly about not even turning on the lights since I was wiped out, but figured that the last thing I needed was to keep 144 full sized candy-bars in the house (I decided to be 'that guy' this year and bought 4 boxes from Costco instead of the little snack-packs).

Instead, when the kids started showing up a bit before 7pm, I just gave every single one of them two candy bars. It was actually a lot of fun, as the kids were just stupidly stoked to see full sized candy bars dropping on top of all the dinky little pieces of candy in their bags/buckets. Some of them did funny dance/run things back to the street screaming to mom and dad that they got full sized candy bars. Was pretty funny.

Ran out about 7:30 and turned all the lights out and crashed, and to my surprise didn't get a single knock or doorbell ring after that. Made the early 70'ish kids that showed up really happy though.

Downside is that my house is probably marked by those little bastards for next year, so if I cheap out they'll be pissed.

REDjackeT
Sep 2, 2009

Rhyno posted:

Can we have this instead?

Close...

http://www.irm.org/

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

The only thing I know about Ohio is two of my aunts live there and every highway sign sets off my radar detector for some reason.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

ohio is for lovers

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

nm posted:

It's America. That would have happened even if there was no baseball.
Fixed that for you for the brutal truth

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

You Am I posted:

Yeah but even by US standards Chicago is really bad.

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

You Am I posted:

Chicago's murder rate is like the one thing this city has going for it. Don't take it away.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Any of you work for a company that deals with MILSPEC connectors? I need a specific one for work and I'm having a hell of a time finding it. I'm already waiting on a quote from Amphenol.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Deeters posted:

Any of you work for a company that deals with MILSPEC connectors? I need a specific one for work and I'm having a hell of a time finding it. I'm already waiting on a quote from Amphenol.

I get mine through Amphenol. Is this like a Cannon Plug style connector or what?

http://www.alliedelec.com/circular-connectors/circular-connectors/

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

That's not an oil leak. That's the automatic oil change and chassis protection feature.
FML. Spent a good 3 hours trying to explain the difference between virtual addresses and physical addresses to the new hire on the SMMU design team. I didn't even get to intermediate physical addresses. I was nearly convinced I should go to HR after the discussion to double check the validity of their ECE degree.

Then I had the "pleasure" of spending two hours on the phone to try to get one of our suppliers to explain why the datasheet for a part says it can be powered by up to 12VDC, yet the part won't actually operate if I give it anything more than 10.6VDC. Our specs state the part needs to work off of 11.5VDC, so of course we've got a metric fuckton of non-functional product sitting around due to this discrepancy.

Beer o'clock is gonna start real early tomorrow....

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

Yeah... I do have an O2 sensor spacer I was going to try out. Problem is, the secondary sensor is visible from under the hood (if you look anyway), so it'll probably fail the visual check. Going to throw it on tomorrow anyway though and see if it gets rid of the light. :ssh:If it does, I definitely won't be trying to hide the spacer with high temp dark paint. I MIGHT be able to get a one time waiver, but it's not likely.

Resistor/capacitor trick works better.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Brigdh posted:

FML. Spent a good 3 hours trying to explain the difference between virtual addresses and physical addresses to the new hire on the SMMU design team. I didn't even get to intermediate physical addresses. I was nearly convinced I should go to HR after the discussion to double check the validity of their ECE degree.

Then I had the "pleasure" of spending two hours on the phone to try to get one of our suppliers to explain why the datasheet for a part says it can be powered by up to 12VDC, yet the part won't actually operate if I give it anything more than 10.6VDC. Our specs state the part needs to work off of 11.5VDC, so of course we've got a metric fuckton of non-functional product sitting around due to this discrepancy.

Beer o'clock is gonna start real early tomorrow....

Jesus loving christ. This is like when I had to explain the basics of networking to a Comp Sci grad, I seriously was about ready to call in HR and another Operations guy and get him to explain it in front of them.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

CommieGIR posted:

Jesus loving christ. This is like when I had to explain the basics of networking to a Comp Sci grad, I seriously was about ready to call in HR and another Operations guy and get him to explain it in front of them.

The low point of my career in pricing out health benefits for a major insurance company was trying to explain to my trainer, coworkers and manager that if you have X in the numerator and X in the denominator you can cancel them out and we really didn't need to document twelve extra steps that could be simplified into one basic calculation. Oh and I to this day am apparently wrong. I pretty much checked out after that meeting.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 213 days!)

Daily driving a 15 year old $2,000 Eurocar is starting to get annoying.

>KEY ON<
Yes, I know you think the back bulbs are dead because the ground isn't as resistant as you expect after I fixed that lovely ground. >CLEAR<
Yes, I know you think the front passenger blinker bulb is out due to the fact that it's a Thursday. I tried cleaning you, and replacing it, but you are still being bratty. Time to check for another lovely ground! >CLEAR<
Yes, I know the third brake light is unhappy- I noticed that when I pulled into the driveway and there was the ebbing glow of ascension behind me, with no red filter whatsoever. >CLEAR<
>START<

epic bird guy
Dec 9, 2014

West SAAB Story posted:

>KEY ON<
Yes, I know you think the back bulbs are dead because the ground isn't as resistant as you expect after I fixed that lovely ground. >CLEAR<
Yes, I know you think the front passenger blinker bulb is out due to the fact that it's a Thursday. I tried cleaning you, and replacing it, but you are still being bratty. Time to check for another lovely ground! >CLEAR<
Yes, I know the third brake light is unhappy- I noticed that when I pulled into the driveway and there was the ebbing glow of ascension behind me, with no red filter whatsoever. >CLEAR<
>START<

:same:

e: full disclosure, mine just freaks out about the brake lights most of the time. The rest is okay.

epic bird guy fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Nov 4, 2016

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

SCA Enthusiast posted:

:same:

e: full disclosure, mine just freaks out about the brake lights most of the time. The rest is okay.

That's going to be wrong bulbs and/or ground.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

I dunno with my 30 year old euro shitbox you just have to prime the pixies in the starter. After three or four turns of the key the the starter usually works.

epic bird guy
Dec 9, 2014

West SAAB Story posted:

That's going to be wrong bulbs and/or ground.

Its one of those things I just haven't quite mustered the energy to deal with yet, but thanks for the tip. I think ground is more likely because it was only fairly recently that it started doing it every time. That said, this is the car where the PO "fixed" the burned out headlight by duct taping the lamp to the inside of the plastic cover since the retaining clip was missing.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

1500quidporsche posted:

I dunno with my 30 year old euro shitbox you just have to prime the pixies in the starter. After three or four turns of the key the the starter usually works.

It always starts, runs, and performs all of the functions I would expect- it just bitches everywhere along the way about doing so. In that sense, I guess it might be Trans-British (but born a Swede).

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

SCA Enthusiast posted:

Its one of those things I just haven't quite mustered the energy to deal with yet, but thanks for the tip. I think ground is more likely because it was only fairly recently that it started doing it every time. That said, this is the car where the PO "fixed" the burned out headlight by duct taping the lamp to the inside of the plastic cover since the retaining clip was missing.

Pull all bulbs. Clean holders like hell, scrubbing until you can see the metal. Replace with new PROPER bulbs (P21 probably). If persists, what I like to do is run a 16ga run of 10' wire with two alligator clips. One goes on the metal taillight socket, and the other onto a bit of the H which isn't covered in oil, grease, and tears. If it goes away, bad ground found!

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

West SAAB Story posted:

>KEY ON<
>START<

For some reason I read that as back rubs instead of back bulbs and I was really confused

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
For my Audi 90, its the washer fluid bottle warning alert.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

For my car - not my particular one (yet, anyway), but extremely common on Delta platform GMs - it's the low coolant warning.

Can't buy just the sensor. You have to buy the entire reserve tank. It's not that big of a deal to replace it, but goddamnit, why can't they sell just the sensor?! :argh:

puberty worked me over posted:

Resistor/capacitor trick works better.

How have I not heard of this? :stare:

I tried to install the spacer tonight... and found out it won't fit. Hell for that matter I can't even get a regular O2 socket on the sensor, thankfully the O2 sensor tools that Autozone has in their loan-a-tool program include a crowsfoot. It's cramped enough that the wires coming out of the back of the sensor are smashed into the heat shield. I'd have to use a 90 degree spacer, and extend the wires quite a bit.

Resistor/capacitor, with a bit of heat shrink, looks a hell of a lot cheaper. And doesn't stand out nearly as much as a spacer.

I was pretty surprised how easily the sensor broke loose though. My exhaust is fairly rusty (for here, anyway, but the car spent most of its life in SLC), but crowsfoot + 3/8 drive + 1 solid tap from a hammer broke it loose.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Nov 4, 2016

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

CommieGIR posted:

I get mine through Amphenol. Is this like a Cannon Plug style connector or what?

http://www.alliedelec.com/circular-connectors/circular-connectors/

It's from MIL-DTL-24231. I'm not really an electrical guy, so I just end up calling everything an Amphenol. The guy who designed the part basically told me "Yeah, that connector is really hard to find. Good luck!"

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

My wife's on her way to the University of Florida for a residency interview. I hope it goes well for her, but dear god I don't want to move to Gainesville.

I think we're single-handedly propping up the airline industry between rescheduling interviews and booking last minute flights. She hits three programs in four days next week, and she's on the waitlist for one more.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Re: vehicle warning lights.

So after owning a succession of BMWs and Volvos, my current DD Toyota kinda weirds me out because Toyota doesn't think you need any warnings of any kind. Tundra and Corolla are the same way, no bulb out, no coolant level. Oil pressure lamp and whatever the emissions kicks on a CEL for, that's it.

Hell the Volvo had a fuse and circuit for every individual bulb....which meant the dual filament bulbs had two per bulb.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
I like doggos as much as anyone can but this morning as I was 3-point turning in my street I saw our white trash neighbors dog making GBS threads in someones elses yard. I see this fucker in my backyard making GBS threads occasionally because they just let him run loose all the time. He'll be in the street and up and down everyones driveway and backyard. So I gave him a rev to redline and he stopped mid-poo poo and ran away. I know its not his fault but I don't care, would do it again.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Cage posted:

I like doggos as much as anyone can but this morning as I was 3-point turning in my street I saw our white trash neighbors dog making GBS threads in someones elses yard. I see this fucker in my backyard making GBS threads occasionally because they just let him run loose all the time. He'll be in the street and up and down everyones driveway and backyard. So I gave him a rev to redline and he stopped mid-poo poo and ran away. I know its not his fault but I don't care, would do it again.
Go and poo poo on your neighbours' porch.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
I dont want to get revved at. :ohdear:

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

angryrobots posted:

Re: vehicle warning lights.

So after owning a succession of BMWs and Volvos, my current DD Toyota kinda weirds me out because Toyota doesn't think you need any warnings of any kind. Tundra and Corolla are the same way, no bulb out, no coolant level. Oil pressure lamp and whatever the emissions kicks on a CEL for, that's it.

Hell the Volvo had a fuse and circuit for every individual bulb....which meant the dual filament bulbs had two per bulb.

On the one hand, I appreciate the utility of bulb-out warning lamps, particularly for bulbs that are difficult to check (brakes, reverse). On the minus side, those things freak the gently caress out when you convert to LEDs. Fast-blink is bad enough, and usually easy enough to fix (I had to essentially intercept the flasher function and reroute it to an external flasher unit, since it's built in to the Lighting Control Unit, and I don't want to resort to crass hackery like adding load resistors.)
I may need to convert a couple of my dash warning lamps back to incandescent. they glow dimly when not "lit". apparently just enough voltage to start lighting an LED, but not a filament bulb. ABS warning light is noticeable at night, and another one just barely lights. My Cherokee did the same thing with the check Engine lamp.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Cage posted:

So I gave him a rev to redline and he stopped mid-poo poo and ran away. I know its not his fault but I don't care, would do it again.

drat, nothing is worse than being interrupted mid poo poo, I remember being in basic training and the drill instructor yelling "PUSH AND CUT!!!" frantically trying to get it all out before I got in trouble. Never had a peaceful poo poo in basic, it was horrible.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Darchangel posted:

On the minus side, those things freak the gently caress out when you convert to LEDs.
I thought the consensus was that for brake/marker/turn bulbs, LED was generally A Bad Idea and not worth the trouble?

Anyhow I have LED in my licence plate, reverse, and interior bulbs, and regular incandescents everywhere else.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

angryrobots posted:

I thought the consensus was that for brake/marker/turn bulbs, LED was generally A Bad Idea and not worth the trouble?

This all depends on the vehicle in question. I did a full LED swap on my external lights (running lights/brake/tail/turn/reverse/rear license plate) but its an '02 Focus that only flashes the turn signal fast if resistance isn't correct, which was easily fixed with a pair of load balancers. If your car has a warning center that tells you specifically "rear/left turnsignal bulb is burned out" then yeah, probably more trouble than its worth unless you want to spend $20-30+ each for CANBUS error correcting modules.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I put an LED in my glove box because it's kind of annoying to get to and it flickered and died. Didn't last as long as the stock one. Same as the LED I put on the underside of my microwave (stove lamp). It's annoying how much the quality of these can vary.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Huh, I guess a Chinese knock-off Jeep parts company that's cloning products had the gall to exhibit at SEMA where the original company was showing too.
They got busted and their stuff seized :D
http://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/news/sema-2016-counterfeiters-busted-by-us-marshalls/ar-AAjRwzE?li=BBmkt5R&ocid=spartanntp

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
(sadbrains post ahead)

Furnace update: I hosed up in the most basic way possible and now I'm a real-life Charlie Brown. I didn't do any research on which company to use, just used a company that has a good local presence and does good work, didn't realize I'd be spending so much on it. Now that I'm doing research (way after the cows left the barn) I can see that I've spent not-quite double what another company would ask for the same work. I'm completely hosed. My girlfriend is furious at me for spending all that money and everyone thinks I'm a dolt, including myself. All I had to do was not panic and do any research at all and I would have saved a ton of money that I don't really have. Now I get to make the call to cancel our satellite TV (which, honestly, is fine by me since it's so expensive) and try to convince my girlfriend not to dump my rear end because she trusted me to get this done and it went 100% pear-shaped. Went to bed last night and when I woke up it was horrible since my lovely decisions still exist and she's still mad.

:smith:

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

scuz posted:

(sadbrains post ahead)

Furnace update: I hosed up in the most basic way possible and now I'm a real-life Charlie Brown. I didn't do any research on which company to use, just used a company that has a good local presence and does good work, didn't realize I'd be spending so much on it. Now that I'm doing research (way after the cows left the barn) I can see that I've spent not-quite double what another company would ask for the same work. I'm completely hosed. My girlfriend is furious at me for spending all that money and everyone thinks I'm a dolt, including myself. All I had to do was not panic and do any research at all and I would have saved a ton of money that I don't really have. Now I get to make the call to cancel our satellite TV (which, honestly, is fine by me since it's so expensive) and try to convince my girlfriend not to dump my rear end because she trusted me to get this done and it went 100% pear-shaped. Went to bed last night and when I woke up it was horrible since my lovely decisions still exist and she's still mad.

That sucks :( Everyone makes a bad call once in awhile.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

scuz posted:

(sadbrains post ahead)

Don't underestimate the value of getting something done correctly by a good company.

There will always be someone cheaper. But 2 years down the line when the house falls down or you die of CO poisoning, you'd regret not going for the good company.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Yeah, there is real value to using a reputable company and it's worth extra for some piece of mind. That said, 2x sounds fishy though if they are literally the exact same thing. Is the other company quoting the exact same brand/model of furnace? Any accessories?

Something has to be different or the other company bids super low to get the job and then SURPRISE WE FOUND THIS OUT AS WE'RE INSTALLING IT AND IT'S GOING TO BE $$RAPE$$ EXTRA. SORRY!

CharlesM posted:

Huh, I guess a Chinese knock-off Jeep parts company that's cloning products had the gall to exhibit at SEMA where the original company was showing too.
They got busted and their stuff seized :D
http://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/news/sema-2016-counterfeiters-busted-by-us-marshalls/ar-AAjRwzE?li=BBmkt5R&ocid=spartanntp

That is awesome, although the company is probably going to just forfeit their stuff, gently caress off and just start peddling their poo poo again.

• Locked thread