Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...
From the monthly report, an interesting bit:

Toady posted:

Thanks for another great month and for hanging with us through all the zipping around! This should be a good month for steady progress through the artifact notes. We're going to continue with artifact questing non-players, and then handle player adventurers, which should bring us back to kobold maps and getting everything ready for fort mode squad excursions.

I wonder if the dwarves that die away from home will haunt there or if you'll have to memorialize them back at the fort. It'd be pretty fitting if you could send a second expedition to recover the corpses of the first, and then successive ventures for each new wave of corpses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

PublicOpinion posted:

I wonder if the dwarves that die away from home will haunt there or if you'll have to memorialize them back at the fort. It'd be pretty fitting if you could send a second expedition to recover the corpses of the first, and then successive ventures for each new wave of corpses.

I hope you are going to be able to grab stuff other than artifacts since I hate having my books get stolen. :mad:

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Charlie72 posted:

Could also be a steakhouse

Why not both? Throw in some magma and dwarves getting incinerated by it randomly then some engravings of absurd historical events and you have something properly dwarvenly.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

PublicOpinion posted:

I want the dwarves to haunt the place they died, so that I can fill goblin forts with angry poltergeists.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
(Toady One) Continuing the player adventurer artifact rumors/witnesses/conversations etc. The game needs to understand what's going on when you, say, bring an artifact into view, place it on a pedestal, pick it back up, and then hand it to somebody. If there are people around, they'll create witness reports (which later turn into rumors) for each of those, but the final artifact location is the most important, so I have to make sure the right old reports get cancelled and so forth, even if some of the events last longer or are missed by certain people and not others, and so on. For instance, if one of the witnesses only sees the part in that sequence where you pick the artifact up, they might think you are stealing it, which is sort of reasonable, but not if you just brought it back yourself moments earlier -- they could afford to be a bit more circumspect, maybe just say something and you can be like, "nah, it's cool, I just brought this back and want to give it to somebody". But that's hard to get working, especially as the overall situation becomes murky and complicated. We'll do what we can!

I've done lots of tests of slightly different situations in the same room over and over. I have a little teleporter debug command that causes the last artifact mentioned in a conversation to appear in my hands, which really speeds things up.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
And for my next trick...

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier
I really hope these debug tools become spells. This one and the one that turns everyone into children.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!

So Math posted:

I really hope these debug tools become spells. This one and the one that turns everyone into children.

I want a spell that makes the peaceful skeleton race manage to cast off the flesh parasites and wander around peacefully without fear any longer.

Elth
Jul 28, 2011

I really wish Toady would release some of his debug commands that he uses for testing. I know I've accidentally opened a command prompt once and it seems unlikely he would comment out his dev tools in a release. Even though he doesn't like giving players tools to ruin the game for themselves, I'm sure a lot of people would love to mess around with cheats to test stuff or find bugs.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
DFhack lets you do a lot at least but yeah the real debug tools would be fun to mess with.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Speaking of DFHack...

Yeah, the 43.05 update is now out (in an alpha state). Been out for 11 days. Just didn't think of looking.

So the next Dwarf Fortress release will be in a week.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

quote:

Toady One :frogsiren:

I've updated the dev page colorations to indicate where we're at so far. It has been a slog, getting through the knowledge/rumors/incident/witness reports/historical events, since items can be moved in all sorts of ways and we haven't really been concerned about anybody remembering anything about artifact positions before this point in the game. There have been all sorts of conundrums and edge cases. Now everybody's eyes light up when a bard strolls into a room holding Classic Hamlet (which was a book about his home village, I guess), and if your adventurer walks up and wrestles the book away and stores it on a bookshelf in a distant library, witnesses at each stage will understand the who and what and where in case some Hamlet quester comes calling later on. I'm slowly starting to emerge from this sort of work, though there are still several conversation utterances and reputation effects that need to be finished.

It'll be interesting to see how this goes.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I'll be interested to see how the FPS is affected.

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!
Hopefully not a lot, when the only memories a dwarf makes of it was 'Urist McChild made an artifact kapok wood earring. It's in bin 43b-11.'

Imapanda
Sep 12, 2008

Majoris Felidae Peditum
Do ai civs embark new towns after the initial worldgen? I understand that they can conquer, but are new ones built if they haven't reached their site cap yet?

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...
I don't believe they do.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I felt like playing some DF again.
There's a mod that I always used to play with but I cannot for the life of me remember it's name.

It's best feature was simplifying a lot of resources, so that instead of a million different types of wood there was just 'wood' for example, and also streamlining a bunch of other stuff.
Does someone know the mod that I'm looking for?

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

That was the "accelerated" module of Modest Mod, but that's been out of commission due to serious bugs for a while now. I think Meph had something like that for Masterwork, too, but I don't know how much of it made it to the v0.43 reboot.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

scamtank posted:

That was the "accelerated" module of Modest Mod, but that's been out of commission due to serious bugs for a while now. I think Meph had something like that for Masterwork, too, but I don't know how much of it made it to the v0.43 reboot.

a quick search for the forum thread for it suggests that the rebooted masterwork has that mod option included

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

It still has serious bugs as part of masterwork.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I haven't checked MW for quite a while now but last time I did it seemed like Meph was mostly waiting for another couple DF releases and riding his bike around the world... most of what is in there right now seems to be stuff other people did and had included in the mod bc Meph is too nice to say 'nope' I guess (the Succubus race stuff and whatnot).

A lot of the features you'd actually want from 34.xx are still in progress or missing and it wouldn't surprise me if there are bugs/issues in the stuff not directly worked on by Meph.

e: seems like it was updated recently so I might be totally off base here though (last edit on the MW OP is from a few days ago). I don't see that he added gunpowder/muskets to the Dwarves though which I hella miss :( A volley of shots at a Roc which then fell to the ground only to have a dwarf run up and bayonet it in the head was pretty cool. Looks like humans maybe have them though? Might do a human fort today when I get home.

Are there any mods that do anything with the siege weapons other than the DFHack thing which allows you to aim them anywhere? I want rudimentary cannons damnit... If the tech cut off is supposed to be 1400ish then that should be fine and lore friendly, esp if there are tech advancements through the library/book systems now. Would settle for exploding bolts/shot from 34.xx MW I guess.

I'd *really* like some fix to siege operators to make them actually shoot instead of having them just run away. I can kind of game it with the DFHack thing by lobbing fire over obstacles preventing direct line of sight but it is super inaccurate.

Also as a pipe dream it'd be cool if races with 'sieger' as their invasion pattern or whatever set up siege weapons (similar to Rimworld) but that seems like it is way beyond the scope of what mods could do.

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Nov 1, 2016

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Moridin920 posted:

Are there any mods that do anything with the siege weapons other than the DFHack thing which allows you to aim them anywhere? I want rudimentary cannons damnit... If the tech cut off is supposed to be 1400ish then that should be fine and lore friendly, esp if there are tech advancements through the library/book systems now. Would settle for exploding bolts/shot from 34.xx MW I guess.

I'd *really* like some fix to siege operators to make them actually shoot instead of having them just run away. I can kind of game it with the DFHack thing by lobbing fire over obstacles preventing direct line of sight but it is super inaccurate.

Siege weapons are hardcoded and not moddable at this time.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
ARISE MY MASTERS

Why has it been 3 years in game and STILL NO SIEGE

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Venom Snake posted:

ARISE MY MASTERS

Because you refuse to make dwarfs out of people in that thread and as a result the game is punishing you?

Is there an active goblin state nearby? Do you get ambushes or snatchers?

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Venom Snake posted:

ARISE MY MASTERS

It's probably not coming. Try pumping your exported wealth to an obscene amount I suppose but yeah in the new version it's super hit and miss for me.

I've noticed in the latest version you have to fill some conditions (based entirely on my own confirmation bias observations):

1. Be close to a gobbo/evil civ
2. Said civ has to have a decent population
3. You have to be a juicy target, which can be difficult if you like to embark kind of near to humans and their towns/cities
4. Armies have to be able to path to you pretty easily - nearby mountain ranges seem to make a lot of them go 'nope' and skip you over even if you are accessible
5. They might not come anyway, preferring to just take over some hamlets and villages all around you instead.

Basically all applies to tavern/library/temple guests too as far as I've noticed; sometimes I'll get tons of visitors as soon as I create the building and other times I won't get a single visitor in 10-15 years.

I think population sizes have a lot to do with it; I usually like 100-150ish old worlds but I've noticed my rate of getting decent sieges or visitor numbers with a world that young is pretty much nil. Let it go for 1000 and there are a lot more historical figs and population numbers for the game to draw on. What has become very common (esp in those younger worlds) is even if I get a siege, there will only be 2-3 sieges with decent invader numbers before it just becomes a siege with 10-20 dudes every couple years.

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

My dwarves are re- (pre-?) enacting the American presidential election. There is a KNOWN vampire, everyone knows he's a vampire, and he's been sealed behind a wall in a tiny room for literal years now, yet he STILL keeps being elected mayor

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

I know it, Urist knows it, everybody knows it! :iit:

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
My dwarves apparently love a chanting performance that involves speaking gibberish while continuously slowing down the tempo. While they are doing this a shrill flute is being played at a steady pace. I have a feeling that it sounds horrifying.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Deki posted:

My dwarves apparently love a chanting performance that involves speaking gibberish while continuously slowing down the tempo. While they are doing this a shrill flute is being played at a steady pace. I have a feeling that it sounds horrifying.

I love this game

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
Please help me. I have a 1080p display and when I use ASCII graphics, it fills up the whole screen with cool text and stuff. When I use any tileset at all I get like 10 tiles of height and huge-rear end letterbox bars at the top and bottom. Why won't it expand to fit my monitor?

EDIT: Seems to only happen when using TWBT...

30.5 Days fucked around with this message at 09:34 on Nov 4, 2016

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

I finally picked this game up and forced myself through the wiki and the tutorials. My verdict is this game is loving incredible and I'm glad I stuck with it

I haven't had anything crazy yet but I'm ready for it. I do have a question that I couldn't really find in the wiki: Can I channel water or other liquids with an irrigation system? Any time I strike a tile next to liquid it floods the area. I want to be able to form an emergecy "Flood the entire fortress" from the huge underground lake in my game.

So for instance: There's a big underground lake about 25 tiles from my fortress. I want to build an irrigation channel to that lake with a floodgate/dam that can be released with a lever in the event of elephant invasion. Is that possible?

TheHoosier fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Nov 5, 2016

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

Levers, mechanisms, and doors.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

TheHoosier posted:

I finally picked this game up and forced myself through the wiki and the tutorials. My verdict is this game is loving incredible and I'm glad I stuck with it

I haven't had anything crazy yet but I'm ready for it. I do have a question that I couldn't really find in the wiki: Can I channel water or other liquids with an irrigation system? Any time I strike a tile next to liquid it floods the area. I want to be able to form an emergecy "Flood the entire fortress" from the huge underground lake in my game.

So for instance: There's a big underground lake about 25 tiles from my fortress. I want to build an irrigation channel to that lake with a floodgate/dam that can be released with a lever in the event of elephant invasion. Is that possible?

Yeah if you build a lever you can connect it to buildings like floodgates bridges and whatever. It requires about 3 Mechanisms you can build at the mechanics workshop. 1 to build the lever, and 2 to connect the lever to the whatever. They dont need to be actually connected by anything

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

You can't put the floodgate or door IN the water though, you have to dig the tunnel, put the thing in, hook it up, then connect it to the water supply.

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Awesome, thanks. I'll explore the wiki more to figure some of this poo poo out. Some of the megaprojects sound absolutely ridiculous

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

It's worth thinking before you make a fort "Ok, in this one I'm going to work out water" or "In this fort I'm going to work out farming" and then just focus on learning that for that fort. One day I'll work out how carts and rails work...

Nettle Soup fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Nov 6, 2016

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

If you don't flood your fort the first time you try to deal with fluids, you're not playing Dwarf Fortress correctly.

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Have you heard about First Dog? It's a very good comic I just love.

Also, wear your bike helmets kids. I copped several blows to the head but my helmet left me totally unscathed.

Finally you should check out First Dog as it's a good comic I like it very much.
Fun Shoe
I remember back in 40d when building into a mountain I found an underground river that crossed Z levels (Multiple waterfalls) and fell out through a tiny chasm area. Then I accidentally channelled out the wrong tile giving the river direct access to the ground floor of my fortress. The pressurised infinite water supply washed my stockpiles out the front door of the fortress and drowned 90% of my population. Good times.

virinvictus
Nov 10, 2014

IAmTheRad posted:

If you don't flood your fort the first time you try to deal with fluids, you're not playing Dwarf Fortress correctly.

What if you flood your fort EVERY time?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elth
Jul 28, 2011

virinvictus posted:

What if you flood your fort EVERY time?

Losing is Fun!