Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

From One Punch Man?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

WeAreTheRomans posted:

Huckabee in particular only talks in embarrassingly broken metaphor (and embarrassingly broken bass playing)

In case you don't remember, basically:
- Kerry captained a patrol boat (or swiftboat) somewhere on the Mekong delta or wherever
- he stormed a couple of beaches like a Mormon Rambo, took some shrapnel on multiple occasions, and was praised by his command and got a few medals
- after 'Nam he threw away his medals and became a public face of anti-war protest
- this made a bunch of Republicans really rear end-mad, so they got a few guys (mostly who were never on his boat IIRC) to lie their old asses off that Kerry was busy getting a tan while Brave Republicans were chasing Charlie down foxholes.
- Kerry also "looked French". this 1-2 combo was enough to disqualify him from the Presidency
- yep
To be fair, Kerry is a weird looking dude.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Built 4 Cuban Linux posted:

Another tied New Hampshire poll came out: http://elections.huffingtonpost.com/pollster/polls/umass-lowell-7-news-26688

That makes the last 4 polls:
Tie
Tie
Trump +1
Trump +5

Nevada canceled out already. :ohdear:

BDawg
May 19, 2004

In Full Stereo Symphony
Morning Joe reported ABC tracking is C+3 today.

E: Link

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/hint-momentum-clinton-issues-defining-factor-poll/story?id=43281152

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Walking Dead 2, Broken Age, Beyond Good and Evil. I've been in this conversation before. :v:

Hitting a fourth is a struggle unless you count designing your own protagonist or, like, Diablo 3 here you have multiple protagonist options.

Assassin's Creed Liberation and Remember Me also come to mind.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

The Lone Badger posted:

That was a dude wasn't it?
You're probably thinking of the later Freedom Cry, which featured a male former slave as the lead. The main character of Liberation is a mixed Creole woman.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004
Sorry if this has been debunked (or less likely, verified) already but I didn't see anything in the last few pages. All my fygm facebook buddies are going apeshit about Gloria Allred paying 500k to one of the Trump accusers to come forward. Is there anything to this? Googling just turns up the same crap regurgitated on breitbartish sites.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Urdnot Fire posted:

You're probably thinking of the later Freedom Cry, which featured a male former slave as the lead.

You're right, I was.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

The Lone Badger posted:

That was a dude wasn't it?

The main character is a biracial woman called Aveline who can choose to dress as either an aristocrat or a slave to complete her mission. Unfortunately I can't vouch for the quality of the game, only that it ties in with rear end Creed 3, the most mediocre game to ever sell 12 million copies.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Fojar38 posted:

Remember when a presidential candidate bragged about being a rapist on tape and everyone forgot about it a month later

They didn't forget, they just realized they don't care.

I read someone yesterday that was saying the worst thing for the Republicans here is a narrow loss. If Trump wins, fine they get to usher in their reign of terror backed by neo-Jim Crow laws and a stasi FBI. If he gets crushed then they can say Trump was a bad candidate which is why Hillary won. However if he just gets beat then not only did he do the same as Romney, but it puts on display that Republicans as a party are absolutely ok with all of the horrible things they've claimed have unfairly been characterized on them by the left. You can read the articles of Republican women who had to defend the GOP because of course they aren't sexist and all the OP-EDs about how such and such a policy that hurts minorities is just a totally unrelated side effect. If Republicans come out for Trump like he was another empty suit Republican it says that everything they've been accused of is absolutely true and they are owning it.

Of course that requires people to actually put their feet to the fire and no one likes actually doing that to right wingers but it will be a hell of a lot harder to look Serious and talk about how this charter school project isn't just an attempt to re-implement segregation paid for by taxpayers when that person voted for the guy that went all in on white supremacy.

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 12:28 on Nov 4, 2016

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Walking Dead 2, Broken Age, Beyond Good and Evil. I've been in this conversation before. :v:

Hitting a fourth is a struggle unless you count designing your own protagonist or, like, Diablo 3 here you have multiple protagonist options.

Portal :can:

Oh, and I went to see if google had any suggestions and apparently people are counting Fran from Final Fantasy XII? I guess there really is bugger all out there.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Inferior Third Season posted:

To be fair, Kerry is a weird looking dude.

yeah, but more in an Addams Family way than "French dude"

edrith
Apr 10, 2013
hey turns out if you cut medicaid disabled kids suffer the most

quote:

As news of the cuts became public, parents and grandparents of children who have disabilities flocked to Austin in March to implore the state Senate not to do this. Mothers wept in frustration as they testified before the Texas Senate Finance Committee about the vital these early interventions play in their children's quality of life.

"This is Elijah," Mary Castro told the committee members that day, holding up a photo of her 2-year-old son. "When my son was born, my husband and I found out eight days later that he has Down syndrome. He's medically fragile and developmentally delayed."

Without the support of early childhood intervention therapists that Medicaid provided, Castro told the lawmakers, "Elijah would not be walking, signing, doing word approximations, dancing to music, or interacting with his peers. With that said he is delayed. Quite delayed. But we love him, and he loves people."

Republican Sen. Jane Nelson, who heads the Texas Senate's finance committee, tried to reassure Castro and other anguished parents that the state would make sure there would be no interruption of services, whatsoever.

"Every eligible child for these services will continue to receive them," she told the parents. "And we're going to monitor it and we're going to make sure that happens."

But that's been a promise the state has not been able to keep, and it's in the rural parts of Texas where collapse of service has already begun.

"Sometimes you need to come out to these rural areas and see how things are done — and how they have to be done — and even talk to some of the parents before you just decide to cut a program," said Waymon Stewart, the executive director of the Andrews Center in Tyler.

Stewart predicts that children with profound disabilities will suffer most from the closure of his program and others like it, especially in rural regions. It's not uncommon for early childhood intervention therapists to have to drive an hour each way to get to far-flung patients. For children who are prone to seizures, or who have to be connected to machines for daily living, long trips in the car several days a week for treatment in other clinics are simply not going to happen, he says.

gently caress you Jane Nelson, you had to know that wasn't true and you said it and did it anyways

elhondo
Sep 20, 2012
Grimey Drawer
N. Virginia congress must be close. 2nd time this week my bus stop SA reading has been interrupted by candidates. Bennett brought cookies with her. Kind of surreal to be reading this forum and have your congressperson walk up.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Civ 5 has a number of black civilization leaders.

However, they all have combat bonuses only so I've never played any of them cause I prefer peaceful games :(

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

WeAreTheRomans posted:

- this made a bunch of Republicans really rear end-mad, so they got a few guys (mostly who were never on his boat IIRC) to lie their old asses off that Kerry was busy getting a tan while Brave Republicans were chasing Charlie down foxholes.

To stress this, not only did everyone on the boat back up his version of events, but journalists actually tracked down the village and discovered the people there also told the same version of events.

The press never walked it back, and used the same "well its said now, so what can we do" talking point.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

edrith posted:

gently caress you Jane Nelson, you had to know that wasn't true and you said it and did it anyways

That's impressively evil to lie to someone's face about the medical needs of their disabled child. Like when people are a statistic it's easy to separate reality from numbers, but to look them in the eye...

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

Cingulate posted:

Civ 5 has a number of black civilization leaders.

However, they all have combat bonuses only so I've never played any of them cause I prefer peaceful games :(

Did you just skip over Haile Selassie and his absolutely incredible unique building?

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Captain Fargle posted:

Did you just skip over Haile Selassie and his absolutely incredible unique building?
Not so interested in a religion bonus, but it was mainly that the unique ability is militaristic.

Although it fits with a tall playstyle I assume? For that reason I've thought about playing him, but religious building + military unique in the end really isn't what I'm looking for.

Edit: I used to play Egypt a lot in older Civs.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Quest For Glory II posted:

do people still think theres gonna be some sort of last oppo bombshell on trump (or clinton) at this point because I feel like it's way too late in the game now

Theres no more oppo dumbs, its all spent and the people thinking there are more are fooling themselves. To be fair today is the last possible day to drop one, so i guess theres the worlds smallest chance friday afternoon something dropped, but *spoilers* the only thing that might drop are more wikileaks emails or FBI leaks.

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

Cingulate posted:

Not so interested in a religion bonus, but it was mainly that the unique ability is militaristic.

Although it fits with a tall playstyle I assume? For that reason I've thought about playing him, but religious building + military unique in the end really isn't what I'm looking for.

Edit: I used to play Egypt a lot in older Civs.

Selassie's bonuses are incredibly powerful defensive boosts. You take your little corner of the world, build it up and if anyone tries to gently caress with you you drive them out.

EDIT: Especially so if you use your Unique Building to give you a Pantheon with even further defensive bonuses.

Captain Fargle fucked around with this message at 12:41 on Nov 4, 2016

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

There's also nothing that would hurt Trump at this point since the people still voting for him are conditioned to disbelieve anything negative said about him or just don't give a poo poo and I'm sure that Clinton's team is well aware of that. The only thing to do is beat them at the polls.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Radish posted:

They didn't forget, they just realized they don't care.
They never cared, and never even thought they did. It just took them a while to figure out that others like them also didn't care. For a day or two , they were in a Keynesian beauty contest situation, where they thought they could only express the opinion they thought everyone else was having. When each deplorable realized that it wasn't only them that didn't give a poo poo, they returned to expressing their lovely opinions without remorse. They probably doubled down on it, upset that they were temporarily victims of political correctness.

Hitler B. Natural
Feb 11, 2014

Crossposting from the politoon thread

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

They never cared, and never even thought they did. It just took them a while to figure out that others like them also didn't care. For a day or two , they were in a Keynesian beauty contest situation, where they thought they could only express the opinion they thought everyone else was having. When each deplorable realized that it wasn't only them that didn't give a poo poo, they returned to expressing their lovely opinions without remorse. They probably doubled down on it, upset that they were temporarily victims of political correctness.

Yup that's a better way of putting it. Hillary really had them pegged and I'm glad a politician finally had the guts to call out the shittiness of a giant percentage of Americans. The media immediately trying to act like she had unfairly slandered good, honest people that then decided to make fools of them by going all in on hate was both disgusting and hilarious.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Captain Fargle posted:

Selassie's bonuses are incredibly powerful defensive boosts. You take your little corner of the world, build it up and if anyone tries to gently caress with you you drive them out.

EDIT: Especially so if you use your Unique Building to give you a Pantheon with even further defensive bonuses.
In principle, that works reasonably well with my (terrible) play style. I guess I should have tried him ... I think I just skipped him because skimming over the Unique, you see "Combat Bonus".

And I almost never worry about religion early.

I've mostly played northern europeans, but I've also played India a lot, and in some mod, Turkey a bit. What's the situation in Civ 6? I remember a lot of alt-right people being upset because there's a black leader in a game called Civilization and you can't actually play Hitler or something.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

This post is a good post.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

edrith posted:

Legally medicaid is required to cover services to kids, under the EPSDT mandate. Acknowledging that the cuts would have this effect isn't just politically impossible, it would open the state up to massive liability.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

gfsincere posted:

If you're willing to express a belief in public, you should have to own the social consequences of that belief.

Oh boo boo some racists lost their job for being racist, because that's the real tragedy, not all the lives they possibly hosed over and set back due to the color of the skin of the people they interacted with.

If you don't have the courage of the conviction to take a stand, for right or for wrong, what you express, you're a coward.

MLK Jr had the courage, so the Justine Saccos of the world can gently caress right off.

I remember getting dogpiled in GBS for sharing the same sentiment, as if I should feel sorry for someone who thought it'd be cute to make a racially-loaded quip on Twitter and then pretended to not understand the backlash that ensued, despite working in public relations.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

So we're past the point where anything significant can alter the election results, the polls are beginning to tighten, and we don't have a good handle on who will win.

Looks like all that's left to do is get some beer and popcorn, and wait for Tuesday. :munch:

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Voted today, in my reddish California county. Heard an old Latino guy tell a woman to vote Trump. I thought he was kidding, but she said she would, and he said, "you're doing the right thing."

I keep alternating between arzying about the election results (yes yes I know but what if) and worrying about polling place violence on the 8th or riots on the 9th. What are the odds that we get a peaceful transition without anyone getting beaten up in the street?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Ragnar34 posted:

What are the odds that we get a peaceful transition without anyone getting beaten up in the street?

Zero.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
We should know how good things are going pretty early.

The media uses two things when the state closes: Too close to call and too early to call.

If North Carolina or Florida close and the networks say "Too early to call" Clinton is walking away with the victory easily.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Inspector Gesicht posted:

The main character is a biracial woman called Aveline who can choose to dress as either an aristocrat or a slave to complete her mission. Unfortunately I can't vouch for the quality of the game, only that it ties in with rear end Creed 3, the most mediocre game to ever sell 12 million copies.

not a horrible game, though it was originally intended for a portable system and was designed as such

Urban Chaos (the first game with that name, not the unrelated one years later)

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

Cingulate posted:

In principle, that works reasonably well with my (terrible) play style. I guess I should have tried him ... I think I just skipped him because skimming over the Unique, you see "Combat Bonus".

And I almost never worry about religion early.

I've mostly played northern europeans, but I've also played India a lot, and in some mod, Turkey a bit. What's the situation in Civ 6? I remember a lot of alt-right people being upset because there's a black leader in a game called Civilization and you can't actually play Hitler or something.

Very solid game. Has a few balance issues but nothing egregious.

Obnoxiously eurocentric lineup though. Only one black leader, Norway and Brazil are in but not Inca, Ottomans, Persia, Mali etc etc. You get the idea.

Everyone in there though is at least interesting and unique.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Captain Fargle posted:

Very solid game. Has a few balance issues but nothing egregious.

Obnoxiously eurocentric lineup though. Only one black leader, Norway and Brazil are in but not Inca, Ottomans, Persia, Mali etc etc. You get the idea.

Everyone in there though is at least interesting and unique.

They obviously went to some effort to include more women as leaders too which is nice.

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

HopperUK posted:

They obviously went to some effort to include more women as leaders too which is nice.

I wouldn't say they went to more of an effort than they did in 5 tbh.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Captain Fargle posted:

I wouldn't say they went to more of an effort than they did in 5 tbh.

Fair enough, I didn't play 5 hardly at all. 4 is my jam.

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

Billy Butler: Fat Guy by Day, Doubles Machine by Night

HopperUK posted:

Including having Gorgo lead the Spartans which I think is wonderful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I remember in civ 1 it started out with a bunch of leaders whom you'd all know from your standard history books, so you'd have a barren Africa. Then they had colonization, which my dad actually was super upset about. I didn't understand why - at that time, I didn't know about slavery in the US, so I didn't get what he saw when I was putting up cotton plantations all over the south.

There was some massive shift in my personality between then and now, because back in colonization, I'd just burn down every native civilization for gold loot. And playing the remake now, decades later, I could never attack the natives.

Still playing a game literally called Colonization though.

• Locked thread