Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
Okay, I'll wait for Dave's pic to see the relationship with the crossmember.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

djdanno13
Apr 20, 2004

Killing Nazi Zombies since June 14 1775

Tomarse posted:

You should at least let him into the house, feed him some meals and give him a drink and have a bit of conversation and then let him go back out into the field

Lol I have offered him the house. He chooses to stay outside of his own will. Thankfully he's agreed to come in when it gets really chilly and I have a mattress waiting for him.

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009
Man reading these two threads let's me know one thing about AI. Y'all some good people in here.

djdanno13
Apr 20, 2004

So some updates. Got home from work and found Dave taking a nap out in the jeep with no shirt and black latex gloves on. I decided against waking him up. But I did take some pics! The van is now a troll van. We may have to paint the truck red now so that it can go faster.

Also 14 found some of my spare sickle blades I have laying around

Also it may be hard to see but there's a gap between the crossmember and the belhouse caused by I think some indexing posts. It's just really not made to match together and some articles I read suggest just removing the trans crossmember period. I'll confer with 14 later.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

14 is an artist.

It appears that the shade canopy had a bit of an accident at some point.

Blacknose
Jul 28, 2006

Meet frustration face to face
A point of view creates more waves
So lose some sleep and say you tried
Pretty sure he's one of the MekBoyz actually. Which is guess is a kind of artist.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

djdanno13 posted:

The van is now a troll van.

Completely reasonable for you to not know the intricacies of warhammer 40k, but I can assure you that those are orkish sigils.

e. Space orks are latent psykers. Their assemblages of machinery and jagged spiky pieces of rusty metal shouldn't' properly work, but they do anyway, because the Orks believe that they work.

djdanno13
Apr 20, 2004

I know 40k, hence red truck more faster. 40k trap sprung.

I really just forgot they were orks and had a brain fart.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Shade canopies are like horses. Once they fall over, you have to put them down.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

How hosed are the tires on the van?

Someone should salvage the license plate too.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Yeah, turns out Nebraska gets real windy, and v we didn't have that canopy secured in any real way. Oops.

Tires on the van are pretty trashed. Like, we probably shouldn't have driven 1600 miles on them bad.

License plate is still a goid valid FL tag. Registered til next June! :v:

djdanno13
Apr 20, 2004

How close are you to getting home Sims? Any crazy bus stories?

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

djdanno13 posted:

Lol I have offered him the house. He chooses to stay outside of his own will. Thankfully he's agreed to come in when it gets really chilly and I have a mattress waiting for him.

I read this post after reading a feral cat thread in PI.

Congratulations on your new house14".

Hopefully you can train him to not pee on the floor or scratch your furniture.

spog fucked around with this message at 10:19 on Nov 4, 2016

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

I'm sitting in a bus terminal in Atlanta, should be back in Orlando by 3 or so.

So far I've gotten separated from my box of tools, back in Denver, which I am REALLY not happy about to say the least. Supposedly it'll make its way to Orlando without me, but I'm still not thrilled.

Watched a big fat overall wearing redneck try to start a fight with a black woman in the Denver terminal because he said cockroach were coming out of her luggage.

Got held up in Kanas City because a lady missed the bus, got in a fight with driver, and then stood in front of the bus until the cops showed up.

And I also me a very strange man. Claimed to be a former ranger, Master aircraft mechanic, and a holder of three degrees. Told me stories about how he had broken a bus window by getting in a fight with two people trying to rob him. Also kept saying how he worked for some PMC and couldn't talk about his job.

Also met a very jolly looking grandpa guy who talked about how he couldn't wait to get back to his mushroom and LSD collection back home.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

And I also haven't really slept more than about 5 or 6 hours in the last 36 hours.

Fake edit; Also, there's a drunk steam punk guitarist wandering around this station. He got kicked off his bus. Lol

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

ExplodingSims posted:

I'm sitting in a bus terminal in Atlanta, should be back in Orlando by 3 or so.

So far I've gotten separated from my box of tools, back in Denver, which I am REALLY not happy about to say the least. Supposedly it'll make its way to Orlando without me, but I'm still not thrilled.

Watched a big fat overall wearing redneck try to start a fight with a black woman in the Denver terminal because he said cockroach were coming out of her luggage.

Got held up in Kanas City because a lady missed the bus, got in a fight with driver, and then stood in front of the bus until the cops showed up.

And I also me a very strange man. Claimed to be a former ranger, Master aircraft mechanic, and a holder of three degrees. Told me stories about how he had broken a bus window by getting in a fight with two people trying to rob him. Also kept saying how he worked for some PMC and couldn't talk about his job.

Also met a very jolly looking grandpa guy who talked about how he couldn't wait to get back to his mushroom and LSD collection back home.

Real life something awful forums

Also - sucks about your tools. I'm sure they'll turn up. We talking hand tools, or power tools also?

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Yes.

My M18 set and also all my hand tools

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

My last bus trip (greyhound, only about a 5-6 hour ride) I decided I'd never do that poo poo again. :v: I don't know why people on the bus are always crazy people.

BigFuzzyJesus
Dec 4, 2007
Now with more Jesus
Im still trying to figure out how taking greyhound is even financially viable, flights from DEN to MCO are cheaper than busses...

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

I just wasn't sure if it work out with me bringing like 100+ lbs of tools in a box.

Fees were like, $100-$200 extra vs. $15 for the bus.

ExplodingSims fucked around with this message at 13:27 on Nov 4, 2016

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
i'm 6'3", and about half of that in leg, from my rear end to my knee when sitting is probably over 2', so just picture someone who literally cannot fit in a bus seat lengthways as opposed to width.

I commuted from Kitchener to Toronto (about an hour each way) every day, on a Greyhound bus. For two years.

I'd rather walk.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Larrymer posted:

My last bus trip (greyhound, only about a 5-6 hour ride) I decided I'd never do that poo poo again. :v: I don't know why people on the bus are always crazy people.

I've always assumed it's because crazy people get banned from flying for being crazy, but Greyhound just looks the other way cause they need the fares.

Also it's way easier to bring your personal supply of whatever drugs you prefer on the bus.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
I Rode A Bus: Bad Decisions ITT

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

Pham Nuwen posted:

Also it's way easier to bring your personal supply of whatever drugs you prefer on the bus.

People bring drugs on planes, people do drugs on buses.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Dagen H posted:

I vote this for new thread title.

Fermented Tinal posted:

People bring drugs on planes, people do drugs on buses.
This is 100% true.

Also, I once looked for a bus / train ride to NYC (a 6 hour car ride for me or like 1.5 hour flight). Tickets for the bus / train were within 30 dollars of a train, and both were going to take between 12 and 16 hours.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
Take the train, the seats actually have room and it's generally enjoyable even in cattle class.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

Ewwww. There doesn't appear to be any support under the rear of the trans, either.

E:

Dagen H fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Nov 4, 2016

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

Fermented Tinal posted:

Take the train, the seats actually have room and it's generally enjoyable even in cattle class.

Outside of the Northeast, the train is useless. I took the bus once from Boston to Albany. It was me and about 10 Amish on the bus.

Fun fact: The Amish LOOOOOVE themselves some McDonalds. The bus reeked.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Dagen H posted:

Haha I was thinking this.

Once I compared a cross country train trip to the most convenient flight, and the train was far more expensive.

But I guess that's where literally YMMV. :v:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Shoulda drove the Jeep back to FL :smug:

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

ExplodingSims posted:

If I weren't in a bus right now I'd draw up a picture, the original BH had some rubber mounts it sat in that bolted to the side of it.

The new one ddf oes not. It does have some holes drilled in it that are at an angle, which appeared to line up with the crossmember, but may be off due to repositioning now

Is there no trans crossmember/mount? I think that's actually a possibility with the old front engine mounts (as opposed to the middle mounts the V8 is using. The transmission just sort of hangs out there unsupported?

e:

Dagen H posted:

Ewwww. There doesn't appear to be any support under the rear of the trans, either.

E:

Yeah, that.
So some sort of fabrication for the rear side mounts, then.

ionn
Jan 23, 2004

Din morsa.
Grimey Drawer

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Shoulda drove the Jeep back to FL :smug:

14 drives Jeep to NE.
ES drives Jeep to FL.
14 finishes up truck.
14 drives truck to FL.
Cliffhanger for next season: Will 14 drive the Jeep back to WA?

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Yeah, the transmission has no actual support. The I6 engine bolted down on the front, and the the bellhousing was held down on the sides, but the transmission is just kinda there

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Just fab some sort of crossmember out of steel that can clear the transmission and mate up to the frame and be welded to it. Sure, it makes pulling the transmission out a royal pain in the dick, but eh.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

no bones about it posted:

Just fab some sort of crossmember out of steel that can clear the transmission and mate up to the frame and be welded to it. Sure, it makes pulling the transmission out a royal pain in the dick, but eh.

There's always:

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
So my emergency toilet paper.

Request: further truck work and pics go here to avoid bouncing endless relay noise between the two threads. Pics more once I find my second loving phone hahaha

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
Alternatively, just avoid bumps and stopping when you get the transmission running so nothing can jostle it out of place

stone soup
Jul 8, 2004
Whittle a temporary wooden x-member in better-than-nothing fashion

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Fabricate a sling for the transmission out of an interlocking mesh of zip ties.

There's just about no automotive problem you can't solve with some combination of zip ties and jb weld, right? With maybe the odd C clamp or if you want to get really fancy, a ratchet strap or two.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Why do I imagine 14 trying to fabricate a trans crossmember out of trees on the side of I75 somewhere in Georgia

• Locked thread