Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.

Data Graham posted:

Yeah I mean UDP isn't unidirectional, it's just not-guaranteed-delivery

E: as opposed to guaranteed-not-delivery I guess

I'd tell you a UDP joke, but I'm not sure you'd get it ......

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Ok, I'll just tell him to set up echo protocol on the specific port, and I'm 99% sure I'll never hear back from him.

Do you want to hear a TCP joke?

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

spankmeister posted:

IT sec is a good gig, EXCEPT endpoint security. Antivirus is a joke. Welp that's my $0.02

They wanted me to manage Forescout, which I honestly understand but couldn't give a gently caress about, plus I wouldn't be the lead. If I go the other way with networking as I have now chosen, I get to be the SME on my poo poo and move up from there.

Said boss who gave me the choice seemed somewhat devastated but respectful, anyway.

Ren and Stimpire
Oct 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I see what you're doing there.

Yes.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Muppet Rabies posted:

I see what you're doing there.

Yes.

OK.

This is the jokes.

Ren and Stimpire
Oct 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

flosofl posted:

OK.

This is the jokes.

Haha has I just got it

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Muppet Rabies posted:

Haha has I just got it

Ok, I'm going to tell you the first part of the TCP Joke, are you ready?

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
You didn't respond in time.

Edit: I'm going to stop here because this could go on for a long time.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

You didn't respond in time.

Edit: I'm going to stop here because this could go on for a long time.

Pssht, piffle.

Yes I would like to hear a TCP joke. Would you like to tell me a TCP joke?

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

KoRMaK posted:

I had a failing power supply that would emit a high pitch squeal when under stress in a computer and it was funny/interesting to see who gave a poo poo and who didn't. Under 25 and they were onto it, the old dudes that were 35+ didnt even notice.

I once identified a server that was about to go tits-up because its power supply (non-redundant, this wasn't exactly a professional operation) sounded like it was screaming. None of my co-workers could hear it, and when it died half an hour later I looked like a loving psychic.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.

DigitalRaven posted:

I once identified a server that was about to go tits-up because its power supply (non-redundant, this wasn't exactly a professional operation) sounded like it was screaming. None of my co-workers could hear it, and when it died half an hour later I looked like a loving psychic.

Not related in the slightest but one time a computer was beeping for some reason and they had tried restarting several times and it still beeped. I walked in and leaned down to listen to it, putting my hands on it and putting my ears close. The beeping stopped.

I could not convince them that I hadn't laid hands and pulled some divine intervention poo poo.

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
It only wanted a hug. Computers get lonely too.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday

larchesdanrew posted:

Not related in the slightest but one time a computer was beeping for some reason and they had tried restarting several times and it still beeped. I walked in and leaned down to listen to it, putting my hands on it and putting my ears close. The beeping stopped.

I could not convince them that I hadn't laid hands and pulled some divine intervention poo poo.

gently caress that. Lean into the bullshit.

Whenever the technical explanation is too long or boring, I tell people I was part of an experiment at CERN that made subtle changes to my electromagnetic field, and that's enough to fix the microgravitic fluctuations that caused the problem.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Ticket: I leaned over and my tits flipped the computer

Great way to start the day!

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

pixaal posted:

I'm sorry, I'm not quite sure I understand. Can you reproduce the issue?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

SeaborneClink posted:

I'm sorry, I'm not quite sure I understand. Can you reproduce the issue?

Slower this time.

Ren and Stimpire
Oct 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

pixaal posted:

Is that considered a soft reset or a hard reset?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Muppet Rabies posted:

Is that considered a soft reset or a hard reset?

Soft reset in the initial incident, a hard reset when recreating under test conditions with stringent observation of the pertinent factors causing the original incident.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
Hot silicone on silicone workplace violence.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

a ticket came in posted:

I have a problem with the customer prints that are linked with the purchase orders I place. When I email a purchase order to a vendor the print not only goes as an attachment to the email it also prints on the purchasing printer and tries to fax. I am able to stop the fax but not the printer. This is wasting a lot of paper and means that the planners have to sort through stacks of prints to find their print outs.

nooope, not touching that one!

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.

pixaal posted:

lol at all these people assuming it's a woman and not literally me.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

You have prehensile tits?

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Resolution: Calm yo tits.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer

larchesdanrew posted:

I love it when this happens. I swear to god computers can detect an IT Technician coming around the corner and immediately fix their poo poo before you touch it.

It's like when a child has a temper tantrum and they fear getting spanked so they fix their mood quickly.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Migishu posted:

I love it when this happens. I swear to god computers can detect an IT Technician coming around the corner and immediately fix their poo poo before you touch it.

It's like when a child has a temper tantrum and they fear getting spanked so they fix their mood quickly.

When I worked at my school's helpdesk, I blamed it on "IT Radiation".

(The real answer was that apparently I'm the only person in the universe that uses sleep mode instead of doing a full shutdown before moving their computer and the old adage works)

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

18 Character Limit posted:

And then the tinnitus takes over.

What?

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

I don't quite know... it rings familiar.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer

MJP posted:

I don't quite know... it rings familiar.

WHAT?

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

WILL ALL YOU FUCKERS STOP MUMBLING AND JUST TALK CLEARLY FOR A SECOND?! THIS IS NOT GODDAMN FUNNY!

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Samizdata posted:

WILL ALL YOU FUCKERS STOP MUMBLING AND JUST TALK CLEARLY FOR A SECOND?! THIS IS NOT GODDAMN FUNNY!

This is my boss and it doesn't help that i also mumble. He was a rocker in his youth and is always complaining about his tinnitus.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Boogalo posted:

This is my boss and it doesn't help that i also mumble. He was a rocker in his youth and is always complaining about his tinnitus.

I only wish I had been a rocker. I suspect it is Meniere's.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
The number of times I've been asked to come watch a problem only to have it not occur with the same user doing the same thing as before defies statistical probability.

I've also jokingly laid hands on nonfunctional equipment and said "be healed" and then had it start right up so maybe it IS me.

Max Peck
Oct 12, 2013

You know you're having a bad day when a Cylon ambush would improve it.

Javid posted:

The number of times I've been asked to come watch a problem only to have it not occur with the same user doing the same thing as before defies statistical probability.

When a user is involved, they're never doing the same thing as before: they're doing it more carefully because they know you're watching.

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?

Javid posted:

I've also jokingly laid hands on nonfunctional equipment and said "be healed" and then had it start right up so maybe it IS me.

Yep, the thing is not only is it a waste of time but also also annoying since you won't be able to come up with a solution for it.

At some point I'd like to invoke I'd like to invoke a bit of G-Gundam in these situations: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a7ZjSxRCiqg

THIS HAND OF MINE GLOWS WITH AN AWESOME POWERRRR!

IT'S BURNING GRIP TELLS ME TO DEFEAT YOU!

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice

Max Peck posted:

When a user is involved, they're never doing the same thing as before: they're doing it more carefully because they know you're watching.

it's always so awkward too, you don't want to sound condescending as you say "no, I'm sure it crashed last time you did it, technology is so weird right?"

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

This video is very cathartic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FrbQqh0rBIo

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Mostly, but then I got sad at the laptop part. You haven't seen what pants my laptop is.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

Samizdata posted:

You haven't seen what pants my laptop is.

What

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Samizdata posted:

You haven't seen what pants my laptop is.

but now i really, really want to

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Judge Schnoopy posted:

but now i really, really want to

Pants is an expression with a seriously negative connotation.

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/pants

Rubbish; something worthless.

You're talking pants!
The film was a load (or pile) of pants.

• Locked thread