Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Megadyptes posted:

IW completed. what a shame.

It says something that even making a joke about Invisible War tends to require referencing a better game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Aside from NG Resonance, the trippy revisiting of locations from the original DX, and the fact that IW was the first game I had ever played where you could not only choose your gender but it would affect side quests, the only thing I remember about IW's plot and writing off hand is that it had a dude named Bud Puckett.

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot
drat, lost my job. Time to start drinking.

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

my favourite part of IW was when I threw everything I could out of the window of that office room in the cairo mosque and then went downstairs and threw it all back into the room through a tiny window.
Swapping my heal aug out for the see through walls aug made the last part of the game so much easier. thanks to the goon who suggested using that + mag rail.

It amused me how Liberty Island was split into two separate maps when the older game could handle it easy. The IW version is cut down massively as well.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

EngineerSean posted:

drat, lost my job. Time to start drinking.

desperate

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
desperate

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

desperate

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Is there anything in the world funnier than Deus Ex The Recut

I don't think so

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Pakled posted:

I don't think so

Don't believe me? It's all in the numbers.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD
Within six months.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Gobblecoque posted:

Don't believe me? It's all in the numbers.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Pakled posted:

I don't think so

it introduced me to the concept of Electronic Old Men and my situation has never been the same since.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Ruling the world

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

uber_stoat posted:

it introduced me to the concept of Electronic Old Men

And their... flexibility

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
Old men ruling the world... a new age.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
They want people deadeded, deaded. Dead, f-f-f-f. Word.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
any good videos featuring zyme usage?

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Just finished Invisible War, which I'd last played on the Xbox back at release. In my hazy memories of the game I'd always thought it was a bit under-rated. But... now, in 2016...

Jesus it loving sucks.

The returning characters have all been lobotomised and the new ones feel like they've fallen out of a YA novel. Not to mention the cripplingly crap gameplay systems that've already been analysed to death. Spent most of the game rushing through it with cloaks and speed maxed, deciding to kill anyone I had an opportunity to.

The one person I didn't manage to kill was JC Denton, who got stuck halfway through a door and proceeded to blow himself up with a rocket launcher :rip: This triggered the Mad Max Omar dystopia ending, which is probably the only appropriate ending for all this guff.

I think the worst point was Nicolette DuClare casually mentioning that unifying all the world's religions was tricky - you don't say.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
There's been a trend during the past few years where people are trying to say IW isn't that bad and only looked bad compared to the original but yeah it is that bad and the fact that it was the sequel to Deus Ex is the only reason anyone remembers it nowadays.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Gobblecoque posted:

There's been a trend during the past few years where people are trying to say IW isn't that bad and only looked bad compared to the original but yeah it is that bad and the fact that it was the sequel to Deus Ex is the only reason anyone remembers it nowadays.

Or maybe that trend was people liking different things than you. Makes you think.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
I would like it alot more if it didn't close and reopen every time I switch areas.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Actually, this is a reasonable place to cross-post this: GOG are having their sale right now, and one of the rewards for "XP" (that you get through purchases/clicking a button on their page once a day) is a free copy of Dex, which people should check out since it's basically indie 2D Deus Ex. It's short and somewhat low-budget and has occasional bugs, but I enjoyed it a lot.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

orcane posted:

Or maybe that trend was people liking different things than you. Makes you think.

True, I mean hey, some people are into eating poo poo too. Makes you think.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Gobblecoque posted:

True, I mean hey, some people are into eating poo poo too. Makes you think.

:allears:

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

orcane posted:

Some people like bad games. Which is their right, naturally.

But games do have certain qualities that can be objectively evaluated as good or bad. Even if you had fun with a game, that doesn't in and of itself mean that the game is good.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
The same also goes in the other direction. Not everything some people think is bad about DX:IW is objectively bad, it's just not their thing or not what they like(d) in games like Deus Ex.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

orcane posted:

The same also goes in the other direction. Not everything some people think is bad about DX:IW is objectively bad, it's just not their thing or not what they like(d) in games like Deus Ex.

I'm fairly sure the loving game having to close down and then restart every time you do a level transition, which is all the time, is an objectively bad thing dude.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Good thing I didn't claim it wasn't, then. It's really lovely and even on a computer built in 2016 it manages to drag down the entire experience for a hypothetical player who likes every single other thing in the game.

I disagreed with the notion that "DX:IW is THAT BAD and the "trend" of people saying it wasn't is wrong", I never claimed it doesn't have bad things.

orcane fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Nov 4, 2016

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Mr. Fortitude posted:

I'm fairly sure the loving game having to close down and then restart every time you do a level transition, which is all the time, is an objectively bad thing dude.

Sure, that's a lovely engine. But a game with a lovely engine could still have good writing, good art direction, and good level design, and that would still make it overall a good game.

Like take Strife. It tried to do some of the same things Deus Ex achieved (an action RPG with some branching paths) but the engine it used was obsolete and really not adapted for what they wanted to do. The game was still mostly good (though I'm docking points for the sewer maze).

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Cat Mattress posted:

Sure, that's a lovely engine. But a game with a lovely engine could still have good writing, good art direction, and good level design, and that would still make it overall a good game.
Which of these qualities do you believe DE:IW possesses?

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

The one thing about IW that I unambiguously enjoyed is the mod that enables you to take control of the bots. Nothing like sneaking up some gigantic military mech, starting to hack into it and then sneaking away to a dark corner. Seconds later you're cackling and firing missiles everywhere while badly animated ragdolls spin across the screen.

It's a shame the shoebox levels can only have about 8 NPCs in them, so you can't go on a proper rampage.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Cat Mattress posted:

Like take Strife. It tried to do some of the same things Deus Ex achieved (an action RPG with some branching paths) but the engine it used was obsolete and really not adapted for what they wanted to do. The game was still mostly good (though I'm docking points for the sewer maze).

Good thing Invisible War has piss-tiny levels, poor writing, and looks that have aged like fine milk. Otherwise it might be difficult to determine if it was any good!

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Xander77 posted:

Which of these qualities do you believe DE:IW possesses?
I'm tempted to flippantly say "none", but to be fair I've never tried to play it so I'll let others do the bashing.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Invisible War's best quality is that it fucks up so bad that it retroactively makes Deus Ex look better by comparison. It's like a nightmarish alternate universe version of the original, showing us how bad it could have been and making people more appreciative of how open the gameplay was.

Plus it treats the gamer like a moron.

Case in point:

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Grrr that ladder tutorial really pisses me off! Fuckin Invisible War

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Mr. Flunchy posted:

Plus it treats the gamer like a moron.

To be fair the most common criticism of the original was that people never even finished Liberty Island because it was too open and confusing and slow.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Invisible war doesn't do a lot of things right. OTOH it does have this gem: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fp4VxZAkkdI

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

double nine posted:

Invisible war doesn't do a lot of things right. OTOH it does have this gem: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fp4VxZAkkdI

I did also enjoy one little bit of dialogue.

Midway through the game you run into the secretive ultra anti-biomod Templar militia order running a recruit stall in the Cairo mall. When you chat to them you can be all "oh yeah, genetically modified people - they're scum right? Let's wipe those suckers out." Much later, when the head of the Templars is trying to convince you to join them, he's all "ah, but you sounded so positive about it in Cairo". To which you reply "I was being sarcastic, dickhead."

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Guy Mann posted:

To be fair the most common criticism of the original was that people never even finished Liberty Island because it was too open and confusing and slow.

I read a review of Deus Ex once that lamented that it would be a good game if it wasn't for having to restart the game all the way from the beginning every time you died :suicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Mr. Flunchy posted:

I did also enjoy one little bit of dialogue.

Midway through the game you run into the secretive ultra anti-biomod Templar militia order running a recruit stall in the Cairo mall. When you chat to them you can be all "oh yeah, genetically modified people - they're scum right? Let's wipe those suckers out." Much later, when the head of the Templars is trying to convince you to join them, he's all "ah, but you sounded so positive about it in Cairo". To which you reply "I was being sarcastic, dickhead."

My favorite is when you murder Nicolette, Chad talks about how shocked he is you would murder someone, the worst crime. After you have spent the past several hours lighting orphans on fire so you can use their still smoldering corpses as weapons against other children.