Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
This game is
This poll is closed.
Great! 180 32.61%
Awesome! 212 38.41%
Good! 160 28.99%
Total: 552 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Well, you're in luck a lot of preorders are probably going to get cancelled.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Captain Baal posted:

I'm gonna wait and see if they'll cancel it before I get paid on thursday, but they really should have said something about needing to pay a month in advance and not four days out from payday

they sent an email last week

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Yeah and they still haven't cancelled my pre-order despite the fact they were charging you yesterday.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Why the hell is Amazon's road trip promotion not available in Canada?

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby

Wendell posted:

Same

No real pre-order option I'm tempted by tbqh. The metal book would be cool (I really love XII's) but I'm not a huge fan of the special cover art on XV's so might just get the standard version.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Wendell posted:

:canada:

I just want all the car skins.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Wendell posted:

Wait, really? That's dumb.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

e: nvm

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

well my first amazon preorder code didnt work for the roadtrip gimmick but then they sent me a new one ubidden and that one worked.

now I wonder if I can safely cancel my preorder or if its going to check on 11/29 whether my preorder is still active before it gives me the dlc

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Are people cancelling the preorder just for the Amazon DLC or something?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

ThermoPhysical posted:

Are people cancelling the preorder just for the Amazon DLC or something?

It's just that easy.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-11-02-finishing-final-fantasy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vv2DSmy3Tro

:japan:

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Good article. It also sort of bears out Sunning's speculations ages ago regarding Tabata's development shakeup - his first major move was to go "you know all that stuff Japanese game devs traditionally do? Yeah, we're not doing that anymore." Flattening out the hierarchy and re-orienting team messaging to focus on morale above all else seems like a smart move. Guess we'll find out how well it paid off.

Also I don't know how significant it was in the grand scheme of things but I do like how the additional delay is justified early in the article by one team member basically saying "we did not slave on this loving thing for so long just to release it unfinished."

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
"They forgot to add in a save system."

You forgot?????

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
this is gonna be the best final fantasy ever

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Oh no it was too late to cancel, oh well, I kinda wanted the art book at least

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

8-bit Miniboss posted:

It's just that easy.

Welp.

I just jumped on that bandwagon.

I saw the new King's Tale video and it was mostly Final Fight instead of 8-bit Final Fantasy. I didn't really like those games THAT much so I'm done with that.

I guess I have to wait 2 days to get my code now?

funkymonks
Aug 31, 2004

Pillbug
What happens when you die? I really appreciated FF13 not kicking you to the load screen upon death.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

You have a few seconds to use a Phoenix Down once your Max HP drops to zero (you can just use a potion or have a buddy pick you up if you just lose all your "normal" HP). If that fails, you may load your most recent save or return to title.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Looks like I'm getting my gently caress you edition since they're asking for me to fix my payment by friday or cancel, good to know

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Tae posted:

"They forgot to add in a save system."

You forgot?????

Have you played Rygar? It's not exactly complicated. And battery-backed save files on a cartridge weren't the norm yet - all 3 Super Mario games didn't save. Megaman had passwords, as did Metroid.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
I like how honest and blunt Tabata and Yoshida are in their interviews. That drunken three hour dinner conversation about how Nomura's Versus 13 failed and was turned into Tabata's FF15. To have been a fly on the wall there.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I really want to hear their story about how Versus XIII failed one day.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Augus posted:

So about 4 years into the project, we all realized we had no idea what we were coding anymore. About 3 months later, a bunch of American military folk storm into the offices with guns and took all of our source code and kept mentioning something in their incomprehensible moon language about "doomasday" or whatever they were talking about. Never saw the guys in the IT department after that incident.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
I can't wait for Food vs Noctis.

I will eat evvvverything

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Is it supposed to be a hat though?

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

WaltherFeng posted:

I can't wait for Food vs Noctis.

I will eat evvvverything

be careful, this is how noctis turns into a greasy neckbeard

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Die Sexmonster! posted:

Have you played Rygar? It's not exactly complicated. And battery-backed save files on a cartridge weren't the norm yet - all 3 Super Mario games didn't save. Megaman had passwords, as did Metroid.

If you played Rygar when it first came out it was incredibly complicated. I mean, I was like 8 or some poo poo and it's not like there were a lot of games like it so you'd know genre conventions or anything.

I started that drat game over so many times :argh:

Blackfyre
Jul 8, 2012

I want wings.

Arist posted:

Oh no it was too late to cancel, oh well, I kinda wanted the art book at least

Don't worry if you contact SE they can still cancel it before it ships if you want.

I felt like I should but am finding it hard to will myself too.

Blackfyre
Jul 8, 2012

I want wings.
Oh has anyone seen any news on how exactly the Pro supports XV yet? Aside from a few seconds during the Pro announcement I've heard zip.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID

Blackfyre posted:

Oh has anyone seen any news on how exactly the Pro supports XV yet? Aside from a few seconds during the Pro announcement I've heard zip.

I'm actually dumb enough to consider buying a Pro just for this release, but I'd like to know that the upgrades specifically will be (outside of just resolution options?)

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Blackfyre posted:

I think they've said that there's not actually much in the way of Pro features because it was too late but post release they might actually come back and make further enhancements to it, in a similar way that they've talked about making the Windows version in that it would take a lot of work that would detract from the game during its active development stages.

The communication surrounding everything about the Pro is garbage at this point, I wouldn't buy one if I had the means to.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Sony has only talked about potential with the PS4 Pro, and we all know how potential tends to turn out. The only game with solid information is Horizon Zero Dawn.

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

Augus posted:

It's probably the same issues that affected 12/13/14 1.0. Whatever methods of development and system of checks and balances they used simply didn't scale well with larger and larger teams. Communication broke down and finished work had to be thrown out for not being good enough. Over the years, we've seen a lot of developers, both Japanese and Western, break down when trying to scale up and keep up with the expectations consumers have of modern AAA titles.

More than engine problems and manpower woes, I'd say the biggest issue was that the original Versus development team simply didn't have a clear vision of the final game and how to get there. Over the years we've heard of how the world map changed or how CGI had to be thrown out to fit the new story outline. It's the same problem with FFXIII's development in that they didn't have a clear idea of how the minute to minute gameplay would play out until the demo.

If the Versus team truly had a great game on their hands, then why did other teams keep getting the greenlight to make the games they wanted? The FFXIII sequels have a reputation for being quick cash grabs but they had hundreds of people work on them for two years, including Tri-Ace. We know from interviews that the Tabata's Type-0 team got to reboot the production in mid 2012 after coming off Type-0 for the PSP. Ex-CEO Wada personally asked Tabata to helm the rebooted game. If it was purely an engine and manpower issue, then we would see the original developers still working on it with a new engine or working alongside a contracted developer. Instead, just about every aspect of the development team was overhauled except for the composer and producer.

Barudak posted:

So about 4 years into the project, we all realized we had no idea what we were coding anymore. About 3 months later, a bunch of American military folk storm into the offices with guns and took all of our source code and kept mentioning something in their incomprehensible moon language about "doomasday" or whatever they were talking about. Never saw the guys in the IT department after that incident.

The new FFXV development team is pretty international. One of the lead designers is Malaysian. The new engine lead is a Frenchman. Development partners include XPEC from Taiwan. A lot of Japanese talent, both veteran and fresh graduates, is getting gobbled up by mobile companies so it makes sense to hire overseas talent for AAA game development.

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit

Josuke Higashikata posted:

I think they've said that there's not actually much in the way of Pro features because it was too late but post release they might actually come back and make further enhancements to it, in a similar way that they've talked about making the Windows version in that it would take a lot of work that would detract from the game during its active development stages.

The communication surrounding everything about the Pro is garbage at this point, I wouldn't buy one if I had the means to.

I read yesterday that they are planning to have the enhancements in place by the end of the year. Given that they're already done with the day one patch they're probably working on optimizing the game for the Pro right now.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I said come in! posted:

Sony has only talked about potential with the PS4 Pro, and we all know how potential tends to turn out. The only game with solid information is Horizon Zero Dawn.

Also Nioh

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)
Pre-order placed. Don't let me down Tabata-san

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

They talked about the Pro in a Japanese ATR

They're aiming for 1080p 60 fps. :stare:

e: But it will most likely fall around 40-50.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Terper posted:

They talked about the Pro in a Japanese ATR

They're aiming for 1080p 60 fps. :stare:

e: But it will most likely fall around 40-50.

And still, tonight's upgrade has been justified. :shepicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

is this game going to be really sweet and good and worth the wait or will i have to worry

• Locked thread