Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Agrajag posted:

What's to stop them from doing it to Tim Kaine, if they can find enough dirt on him?

The Jesuit?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Agrajag posted:

Except the new reality that your vote doesn't matter because the GOP, if they do nt like the outcome, will use the FBI to replace the candidate of choice.

I genuinely don't think that would pass. They're going to obstruct Clinton but they know full well they have nothing meaningful on her and while their base will eat it up repeated attempts to do this WILL have a long-term impact on them. They're gambling on it paying off but it just as likely could further poison the GOP well.

Agrajag posted:

What's to stop them from doing it to Tim Kaine, if they can find enough dirt on him?

They couldn't find enough dirt Hillary Clinton. They're not going to suddenly discover Tim Kaine murdered a man in Georgia just to watch him die.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

This comes up every ten pages in this thread, but indicting a President requires two-thirds of the Senate. It's not gonna happen.

BDawg
May 19, 2004

In Full Stereo Symphony

Agrajag posted:

What kind of dirt would there be on Tim Kaine? The time he slept in and missed church? The time he took a penny, but hasn't left a penny?

That guy has gotta be clean.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

It's been a while but did the Republicans actually think they had a real shot at Bill Clinton? That entire thing was a mess so I can't remember if it was just a meaningless show of force by the House leadership or they really thought they were going to convince 2/3 of the Senate to go along with it based on their evidence.

BDawg posted:

What kind of dirt would there be on Tim Kaine? The time he slept in and missed church? The time he took a penny, but hasn't left a penny?

That guy has gotta be clean.

They'd just make it up.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Holybshit the Richmond VA mayoral race is almost crazier than Trump. Literal convicted pedophile in the lead?

well I mean he eventually married the underage girl he impregnated, so he clearly has Good Family Values and all that

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN

FBI/GOP revive the Papist plot myth from JFK's tenure.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
The house will do the exact same thing they've done the past 8 years just cross out Obama and put Clinton.

That sentence has not changed all year.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

The GOP's attack on Kaine would be similar to the one they used against Kerry. Too boring and not strong enough for real leadership.

Also, something, something, Papist.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Radish posted:

It's been a while but did the Republicans actually think they had a real shot at Bill Clinton? That entire thing was a mess so I can't remember if it was just a meaningless show of force by the House leadership or they really thought they were going to convince 2/3 of the Senate to go along with it based on their evidence.
Meaningless show of force.

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug

Agrajag posted:

Umm, did you somehow forget the financial crisis and watching friends/family/coworkers losing their jobs in waves? I do, and I will always remember the emotional toll as well. I was like being in some kind of dreary overcast nightmare for months and months on end.

Are you saying that Republican economic policy is actually bad for the middle and lower class?? What a shocking revelation!

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Samuel Clemens posted:

This comes up every ten pages in this thread, but indicting a President requires two-thirds of the Senate. It's not gonna happen.

No, but it's great red meat for The Base to keep making useless political gestures, just like the 43rd or whatever vote the Republicans have held to repeal Obamacare.

They can say they're fighting the good fight in their fundraising FWD:FWD:FWD: e-mails while still being satisfied at not having to do any actual substantive work AND get paid the big bucks from salary as well as lobbying money. Sounds like a great gig to me!

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

BonoMan posted:

A nice, easy to read, breakdown of the bullshit behind emailgate from Vox.

http://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2016/11/4/13500018/clinton-email-scandal-bullshit
I think it's as clearly written as it can be, and I agree that it's nonsense to look at this as a deliberate attempt to hide something, and that focusing on this has robbed Americans of the chance to really understand Hillary's actual policy stuff. It still just looks squirrely as hell though. I guess pretty much all email use at that time was like that.

edit: it probably still is for lots of people. I'm glad I'm in a situation where my work and personal emails are finally completely separate; they weren't for a long time.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Nov 4, 2016

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

No, but it's great red meat for The Base to keep making useless political gestures, just like the 43rd or whatever vote the Republicans have held to repeal Obamacare.

They can say they're fighting the good fight in their fundraising FWD:FWD:FWD: e-mails while still being satisfied at not having to do any actual substantive work AND get paid the big bucks from salary as well as lobbying money. Sounds like a great gig to me!

I've always been curious how lobbying isn't considered bribery and still be able to benefit from it, on the receiving end. When it involves money, gifts, or whatever lobbyists do.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Agrajag posted:

I've always been curious how lobbying isn't considered bribery and still be able to benefit from it, on the receiving end.

I've worked in a DC lobbying firm.

It's organized bribery, but it's considered impolite to call it out as such. Also, something something cognitive dissonance mental gymnastics.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

ImpAtom posted:

I genuinely don't think that would pass. They're going to obstruct Clinton but they know full well they have nothing meaningful on her and while their base will eat it up repeated attempts to do this WILL have a long-term impact on them. They're gambling on it paying off but it just as likely could further poison the GOP well.

They couldn't find enough dirt Hillary Clinton. They're not going to suddenly discover Tim Kaine murdered a man in Georgia just to watch him die.

It's shot a man in Reno.

Also, I need a hit of anti-Arzy.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Tender Bender posted:

I feel like too much attention has been paid to Trump's temperament. It let's people say "Sure he's a horrible person but he'll fix things!" When even if you can look past his abysmal soul, he is an incompetent idiot. Even if he was capable enough to get things done, the things he wants to get done would financially devastate the country and cause unimaginable harm to millions of minorities as well as the lower and middle class whites who he claims to advocate more. He would destroy whatever meager gains we've made in forming a reasonable Healthcare system while doing nothing to halt rising costs. He would sabotage global environmental efforts, probably irrevocably. He would be an absolute disaster on the world stage and countless lives will be lost due to the GOP's warmongering mixed with his own incompetence. I would think highlighting those issues in the runup to the election would be good, because the people who are holding their nose to vote for him aren't going to be swayed by "grab her by the pussy". They're already telling themselves they can look past that.

Hopefully I don't ever need to think about it this post again after Tuesday.

When they say "fix things", they mean "break everything that Democrats have tried to do and hurt non-whites for us." We have a generation so brainwashed by right wing media that they see anything varying from the Republican platform of FYGM as the greatest of evils. They see no problem in harming non-whites, women, or LGBT people because they cannot comprehend the idea that the world where they, older white men, are favored above all others isn't just. Their approach to complex issues is childish at best since they buy the idea of American exceptionalism hook. line, and sinker. The environment can't possibly be bad because it gets cold sometimes and they see squirrels all the time in parks. The economy only struggles because those leeches take money from good white men for luxuries like refrigerators or telephones. Foreign powers can only defy us because we don't rightfully dominate them and the only reason terrorists exist is because we just don't give more money to the military. Those darkies just need to learn their place and not blame their problems on white men who don't personally attack them all the time, and even those that do. Most of all, compromise the the greatest sin because it means that you are turning from the one true way.

They can excuse anything Trump does because, if the don't believe him doing it is right already, then they simply don't care. His idiocy and lies are excused by them enjoying having someone speak to them on level that makes them feel smart and any lies he tells pale in comparison to KKKillary and 0bama. They are the real racists for making those darkies say mean things about white people and ask for money that only good, strong white men earn. If they didn't lie all the time, then those sub-humans would smarten up and listen to us who tell them all their problems come from just not being moral or having the ethics of whites instead of being coddled by someone just giving them money to live on. They even betray all 'Murrica by bringing in more leeches and enemy Muslims instead of just shipping them away from the Real Americans, proving how evil those DemonCraps are! Hell, they raise the most corrupted candidate ever and ignore all those emails and Ben Ghazi that scare us so much.

Crushing those evil LIEberals and their agenda to un-America things is the most important thing in the world and our glorious True Conservatives will make us feel safe again when they rule everything.

It's an incredibly bizarre, self-deluding way to go through life, but that's what the conservative base is now thanks to decades of careful programming.

Geostomp fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Nov 4, 2016

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

I've worked in a DC lobbying firm.

It's organized bribery, but it's considered impolite to call it out as such. Also, something something cognitive dissonance mental gymnastics.

Yes, but how do you get around it for not to be bribery as such? Like it's illegal to hand an official an envelope full of cash or gifts for them to do "xyz", but then how is organized lobbying getting around that?

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Google "Joe Morrissey".
First photo that comes up ... yeah. I realize you shouldn't just books by their covers, but he looks like a pedophile.

:stonk:
the filename is worth showing, too: "Joe-Morrissey-Pedophile.jpg"

Holy poo poo, this guy's in the lead?

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Samuel Clemens posted:

The GOP's attack on Kaine would be similar to the one they used against Kerry. Too boring and not strong enough for real leadership.

Felony popery is very underrated crime imo

Blurred
Aug 26, 2004

WELL I WONNER WHAT IT'S LIIIIIKE TO BE A GOOD POSTER
The polls today are actually looking pretty good for Clinton so far, even though a lot of them still include polling from the weekend slump caused by the emails. The national polls are ticking back towards her, and they show her within a couple of points in Iowa and Georgia (states I'd given up on) and with a comfortable lead in Virginia. Once the polling done over the weekend (28/10 - 30/10) starts to filter out of the headline numbers, I think we'll see she's in a relatively strong position. She won't be leading by 6-8 points come election day like she was before, but I think she'll still have a bigger lead than Obama did in 2012.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
When can Hungarian McFuck, who apparently thinks electing Clinton will cause starvation and the FDA is a case of governmental overreach, be exiled from the country? There's an immigrant who really ought to be deported!

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

First photo that comes up ... yeah. I realize you shouldn't just books by their covers, but he looks like a pedophile.

You think that's bad Google image search "Joe Morrissey antebellum".

And yeah he is apparently in the lead.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

BigRed0427 posted:

It's shot a man in Reno.

Also, I need a hit of anti-Arzy.

Tim Kaine shot a man in Reno?! Better put this in the Drudge headlines!

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Just wanna say that this is a crushingly depressing post and makes me want to reach for a drink. :smithicide:

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

If he got convicted doesn't that make going to places where sex offenders aren't allowed kind of difficult for a politician? Or does he get a special exception?

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx
Politically, an impeachment based on horseshit and nonsense will always be good for us. Last time they were in the process of impeaching Bill Clinton, the voters were so upset at it, that the president's party gained seats in the house during his 6th year, which rarely happens.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Part of the reason he's in the lead is that there are too many other candidates in the race

One of them just dropped out specifically to try to gently caress Morrissey over, but it's still a 3way (edit: 6way, but 3 viable candidates)

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Here's the thing about impeachment:

The House might well vote to impeach Clinton. It's like the reddest of red meat that House Republicans could ever throw to their base. But the president isn't immediately removed from office when the House votes to impeach. If that was how it worked, they would've done it to Obama the moment they took the House in 2010.

Instead, there's a trial in the Senate, and that requires a two-thirds majority vote to remove the president from office. Even if the worst-case scenario happens on Tuesday and Democrats don't retake the Senate majority, the Republicans still don't have that. That means that, without incontrovertible evidence of legitimate wrongdoing (something that hasn't been found in 30 goddamn years of trying very, very hard), there's no way the Senate would actually remove Clinton from office, no matter how hard the House tries.

Why might they not vote to impeach? Well, because doing so would litigate the matter very publicly. Every American news outlet would be watching the entire trial like a hawk, every bit of evidence, every word of testimony, and remember that, in 30 years of trying, they have never found something to indict either Clinton with. In all likelihood, they'd fail again, and people would see how frivolous the whole thing is in much clearer detail than they were able to during the election. It'd be a massive public failure on the part of House Republicans and, best case scenario for them, would have no effect on Clinton's approval.

It's hard to say whether they'll try or not. I think there's a definite possibility, but it's a huge risk to do so when there's very little chance of actually succeeding. It's much safer to just sit there and obstruct.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

VH4Ever posted:

To those who mention about him voting: he will be, but you should know we both live in Texas.
Ahem, Texas is in play my friend. Make sure you both vote at least once.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
Someone should ask Scott Adams why Al Qaeda wants Trump to win.

(The answer is that it's actually the FBI that wants him to win, but that subtext is buried deep in the article and requires using critical thinking to remember that Al Qaeda's ability to threaten the US is considerably smaller than ISIS these days.)

ComradeCosmobot fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Nov 4, 2016

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
I think the damage from Emailgate 2: Comey's Revenge is starting to unwind.

538, I believe, has realized that the trend is over and Hillary's regaining percentage points.

Besides, it looks like Nevada can be considered a Firewall state, and Silver flat out said Trump's chances drop to 9% if he loses Nevada.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

Radish posted:

If he got convicted doesn't that make going to places where sex offenders aren't allowed kind of difficult for a politician? Or does he get a special exception?

Apparently he was only convicted of Contributing to the Delinquency of a Minor, a misdemeanor charge. Also, he stepped down as a state rep then RAN IN THE SPECIAL ELECTION TO FILL HIS SEAT, and while SERVING HIS JAIL TIME, HE WON.

What the gently caress, Virginia. I'm ashamed I live so close to you now.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Agrajag posted:

Yes, but how do you get around it for not to be bribery as such? Like it's illegal to hand an official an envelope full of cash or gifts for them to do "xyz", but then how is organized lobbying getting around that?

Ah, but there is a solution for that, my friend! :shepface:

Basically, it's illegal for a former Representative or Senate to leave Congress and immediately turn around to lobby (ie expend valuable political connections or capital the former Congressmen have, which is exactly why they're paid so much loving money hand-over-fist) their own respective legislature.

HOWEVER, it is not illegal to immediately lobby your legislative counterpart (ie a former House Rep lobbying their Senate friends); and oh gee whiz, there's some nice Scotch at the liquor store down the block from K Street, maybe we can open a vintage bottle and have a relaxed conversation about the upcoming vote over a steak dinner at Smith & Wollensky's later?

I know this, because I personally delivered Scotch to a former Congressman and was treated to a free dinner at Smith & Wollensky's and some other seafood restaurant overlooking the Potomac near Georgetown as a reward for my good work. :ssh:

Feel free to ask me more about the wonders of lobbying (ie, my reasons for running away screaming from a prospective career in DC :gonk:)!

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

Apparently he was only convicted of Contributing to the Delinquency of a Minor, a misdemeanor charge. Also, he stepped down as a state rep then RAN IN THE SPECIAL ELECTION TO FILL HIS SEAT, and while SERVING HIS JAIL TIME, HE WON.

What the gently caress, Virginia. I'm ashamed I live so close to you now.

lol this poo poo reads like an Onion article.

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

general fuckery

Ahh, I think I get the gist of it. Similar stuff happens at my father's holding co for large projects/contracts.

Agrajag fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Nov 4, 2016

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

This guy screams "actually its ephebophilia :qqsay: "

Who is voting for this man and why?

Boot and Rally
Apr 21, 2006

8===D
Nap Ghost

Radish posted:

I don't understand impeaching the President when you can't convict in the House. I guess it gives you something to campaign on? Without it would Gore have easily one Florida? It is so obviously partisan that anyone who says "but Bill Clinton was impeached!" obviously never liked the guy to begin with, like a Red Sox fan calling the Yankees cheaters or something. Of course they would think/say/do that.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Radish posted:

He plead down to contributing to delinquency, which isn't a sex crime.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Harrow posted:

Here's the thing about impeachment:

The House might well vote to impeach Clinton. It's like the reddest of red meat that House Republicans could ever throw to their base. But the president isn't immediately removed from office when the House votes to impeach. If that was how it worked, they would've done it to Obama the moment they took the House in 2010.

Instead, there's a trial in the Senate, and that requires a two-thirds majority vote to remove the president from office. Even if the worst-case scenario happens on Tuesday and Democrats don't retake the Senate majority, the Republicans still don't have that. That means that, without incontrovertible evidence of legitimate wrongdoing (something that hasn't been found in 30 goddamn years of trying very, very hard), there's no way the Senate would actually remove Clinton from office, no matter how hard the House tries.

Why might they not vote to impeach? Well, because doing so would litigate the matter very publicly. Every American news outlet would be watching the entire trial like a hawk, every bit of evidence, every word of testimony, and remember that, in 30 years of trying, they have never found something to indict either Clinton with. In all likelihood, they'd fail again, and people would see how frivolous the whole thing is in much clearer detail than they were able to during the election. It'd be a massive public failure on the part of House Republicans and, best case scenario for them, would have no effect on Clinton's approval.

It's hard to say whether they'll try or not. I think there's a definite possibility, but it's a huge risk to do so when there's very little chance of actually succeeding. It's much safer to just sit there and obstruct.

They managed to recover from the shutdown of 2013 and blocking the Supreme Court nominee when the public forgot about it, so they might well be willing to try to muddy the waters with an impeachment stunt if they get desperate enough. Their base will be yearning for more Trump-style "conservative warriors" so I imagine they'd try it in 2018 or so to get the base more motivated to give them full control of Congress again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Samuel Clemens posted:

I wonder if anti-Catholicism will be making a comeback alongside anti-Semitism. I feel like its being held back at the moment because the Religious Right needs Cathloics to push anti-abortion stuff, but that side of the party is dying out. The alt-right doesn't seem to have a problem with them though if only because of the Crusades.

• Locked thread