Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hate Fibration
Apr 8, 2013

FLÄSHYN!

value-brand cereal posted:

Hate Fibration if you ever get into start kin discourse again on tumblr, please consider starting the argument that Lucifer/Satankin are factkin and not mythkin, and anyone who says otherwise is a filthy atheist. Thanks in advance. I think it would be hilarious just for the arguments this could produce.

When I was involved in the otherkin community I was struggling with a combination of gender issues and severe OCD that led to me feeling like a stranger in my own body and something so alien it didn't belong in the physical realm, issues which almost led to my death. And every pithy rationalization you've supplied here for the otherkin belief system is one that is completely illegitimate. When in the otherkin community I had to intervene in over five suicide attempts. FIVE! I was 19 and I had already stopped three people from killing themselves. Even the people who appeared to have their poo poo together were messed up. I ran across doctors, lawyers, engineers, and even an FBI agent. They all had enough issues to start a news stand. I am so tired of dealing with crazy people.

More importantly, the decontextualization of beliefs surrounding animism, reincarnation, and tutelary animal spirits(what you called a "spirit animal" often called a "Power animal" by the new age community) in an attempt to justify the beliefs of otherkin has always struck me as very disingenuous. Religion and spirituality had, and continue to have despite what Richard Dawkins' and Sam Harris want you to believe, a profound influence on culture and the way people form groups. They serve important social functions and the removal of certain beliefs from the wider corpus of ideas forming specific religion to lend an air of credence to one's own beliefs can only be justified by a sort of calculated ignorance of the religion in question's metaphysical and cultural foundations.

In short:

No, never again.

And

You are obnoxious and I want to hit you with a sack of potatoes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Hate Fibration posted:

You are obnoxious and I want to hit you with a sack of potatoes.

Qwazes posted:

Please don't let this thread end in a religion argument...

Maybe you should pick up katamari and relax buddy :3: it'd be good for your health.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
I am a katamarikin and I am married to the king of cosmos who is really sephiroth and cloud and who told me to roll up all the bishounen so that they could bear all of our spirit babies. Also half of my soul is really Sonic.

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

What's the other half?

Ichabod Sexbeast
Dec 5, 2011

Giving 'em the old razzle-dazzle

sweeperbravo posted:

Prince Mythkin

The mythkin formerly known as Prince

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

DicktheCat posted:

What's the other half?

Also Sonic

TheSmilingJackal
Apr 30, 2007

Don't worry, it's a very heavy feather.
When I learned of the concept there was only (to my knowledge) otherkin and otakukin.

TIL that there are many types of otherkin.

I... I am not sure how to process this new knowledge. What happened? Why has this happened? What is happening right now? What is sanity? Is this what going mad feels like? Are tumbrkin a plot by the great old ones to bring the necromomicon into our reality, shattering the minds off all who read it?

Is there a cthulhukin?

JohnOfOrdo3
Nov 7, 2011

My other car is an asteroid
:black101:

TheSmilingJackal posted:

When I learned of the concept there was only (to my knowledge) otherkin and otakukin.

TIL that there are many types of otherkin.

I... I am not sure how to process this new knowledge. What happened? Why has this happened? What is happening right now? What is sanity? Is this what going mad feels like? Are tumbrkin a plot by the great old ones to bring the necromomicon into our reality, shattering the minds off all who read it?

Is there a cthulhukin?

Think you mean the Necromomikin

Hate Fibration posted:

It's the worst community. While in it I wrote a lot about the importance of critical thinking and sober self-reflection. After having a discussion with someone who was having a bit of an identity crisis about otherkin stuff, and trying to subtly nudge them out of the community altogether, this person decided to take my advice but in the worst way possible.

After a week of careful deliberation this person decided that what they were deep down, that the image that resonated with their soul in a primal, puissant, and preternatural way, that the very divine spark that animated them from the inside out took the form of...

An excavator. Painted neon pink.

I know you said you had a rough time in that community, but I think it might have all been worth it for this one line. This made my day.

Seriously though, I'm sorry how messed up that got for you. Did you ever seek professional help for the after effects of trying to handle those suicide attempts? Because it's seems like it's still raw and painful, and take it from a guy who is too lazy or stupid to seek help and decided to go to an internet forum rather than a therapist. You don't get better if you don't seek help.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

FiftyMews posted:

WELP THERE IT IS.
Thanks but my my therapist and nurse practitioner know and don't care.

get better help.

take me to the beaver
Mar 28, 2010

Hate Fibration posted:

Even the people who appeared to have their poo poo together were messed up. I ran across doctors, lawyers, engineers, and even an FBI agent. They all had enough issues to start a news stand. I am so tired of dealing with crazy people.

Got any more stories that wouldn't be too painful to tell? (Don't want to dredge up painful memories, but this sounds like fantastic thread fodder)

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
I just wanted to say that I remember the old old time of SA of 2000-2001 and when people were looking up otherkin stuff then to make fun of, it was literally all vampires and fairies and elves. For some reason there was nobody calling themselves otherkin who was calling themselves any kind of animal with the one exception of dragons - the otherkin communities would yell at the animal people for being furries and kick them out.

I just think that's funny, since apparently everyone who's an otherkin now is some sort of animal and I guess the vampire and elf dudes just hosed off to some other name.

Arctic Bunny
Aug 3, 2012

A PERFECT LOOKING NOSE
Can Easily Be Yours
Otherkin is old hat on Tumblr anyway, all the cool kids are claiming DID and usually list about a dozen alters on their blogs, quite often with accompanying pictures and tags for each of them. The most dedicated ones even have a "now fronting:" box around their about.

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

You can't make an Omelet without breaking a few eggs. Vote Greens.

fishmech posted:

I just wanted to say that I remember the old old time of SA of 2000-2001 and when people were looking up otherkin stuff then to make fun of, it was literally all vampires and fairies and elves. For some reason there was nobody calling themselves otherkin who was calling themselves any kind of animal with the one exception of dragons - the otherkin communities would yell at the animal people for being furries and kick them out.

I just think that's funny, since apparently everyone who's an otherkin now is some sort of animal and I guess the vampire and elf dudes just hosed off to some other name.

I remember around the same time there were people who called themselves 'lightwalkers' or 'darkwalkers'. They seriously believe they were agents of good or evil and they must do everything in their power to further their cause. Bizarre. Looking it up now, all I see is bad fantasy fiction and some stuff about video games.

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Hate Fibration posted:

It's the worst community. While in it I wrote a lot about the importance of critical thinking and sober self-reflection. After having a discussion with someone who was having a bit of an identity crisis about otherkin stuff, and trying to subtly nudge them out of the community altogether, this person decided to take my advice but in the worst way possible.

After a week of careful deliberation this person decided that what they were deep down, that the image that resonated with their soul in a primal, puissant, and preternatural way, that the very divine spark that animated them from the inside out took the form of...

This post isn't getting nearly enough love.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Hate Fibration posted:

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

Hate Fibration posted:

I want to believe there was some kind cosmic-level game of Telephone involved in forming this revelation, and somewhere along the line one kind of bobcat got turned into another.

Cassius Belli fucked around with this message at 11:49 on Nov 1, 2016

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp
It sounds like the sort of otherkin identity a really cool 4-year-old would come up with.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
Guys, I'm part dragon. That's why I enjoy spicy foods.

IT ALL MAKES SENSE NOW :byodood:

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

OWLS! posted:

This post isn't getting nearly enough love.

It's too spork monkey cheese to be believable.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

eschaton posted:

I remember a kin blog about a pink excavator kin from old tumblr mock threads so I half think they were getting trolled but eh, I'm not going to dig it up. Most, if not all, bizarre kintypes are trolls. Like slimekin, wafflekin, cisscumkin, poptartkin, etc. Pink excavator is probably another troll that everyone falls over to believe as legit because they want to get all affronted at the internet and poo poo.

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006
You say this and yet poo poo anime like Monster Musume exists.

Season 2 sooon

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Excelsiortothemax posted:

You say this and yet poo poo anime like Monster Musume exists.

Season 2 sooon

You're hosed up, man. Seriously, get help.
Unless your favourite girl is Rachnera, in which case you're still hosed up, but cool hosed up, like Hunter S. Thompson. Also, trap sprung, you got me.

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006
I self medicate through alcohol so it's ok!

Hate Fibration
Apr 8, 2013

FLÄSHYN!

value-brand cereal posted:

I remember a kin blog about a pink excavator kin from old tumblr mock threads so I half think they were getting trolled but eh, I'm not going to dig it up. Most, if not all, bizarre kintypes are trolls. Like slimekin, wafflekin, cisscumkin, poptartkin, etc. Pink excavator is probably another troll that everyone falls over to believe as legit because they want to get all affronted at the internet and poo poo.

Naaah. That person was unfortunately legit serious. They went by kit or something. I do not recall. They were also suffering from bipolar disorder and their mania often presented with psychosis, they also had borderline personality disorder. They also claimed to be a "multiple" and their various alters were a "dubstep sprite", a cybernetic dragon thing, and some other crap I don't remember. They were pretty ill and didn't manage their condition well at all.

eschaton posted:

I am amazed this tumblr wasn't deleted

Looks like their view on it changed after a while:

quote:

5: So your kintype is a hydraulic excavator like the one in your avatar/like Pinkshovel?
NO.
I AM NOT A HYDRAULIC EXCAVATOR.
6: But you refer to yourself as shovel all the time! What’s going on with that?
I saw a picture of it online and it just sort of…clicked. I’m not sure how else to describe that. In general I refer to myself more as “machinekin” than “Bucyrus RH400 hydraulic excavator” because I feel a connection to MACHINES, as a category. To compare to therians; it would be like a therian identifying with the family “felidae” rather than specifically “ocelot”. But the big pink shovel has become sort of a symbol for me. It’s big and tough. It gets poo poo done. It has a purpose. It’s a lot of things I want to be and am striving for.

When it first happened they were Very Excited about realizing they were a neon pink excavator.

Hate Fibration fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Nov 2, 2016

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006
Otherkin: Built Tough.

This thread never stops providing.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007
As an employee of bucyrus' competition, gently caress them.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Im Bagger 293-kin,
I shovel enormous quantities of dirt into my mouth, im extremely slow and expensive to transport, and I'm of very limited use.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

OwlFancier posted:

Then I look forward to 200 years in the future when otherkinning is as normal as mormonism.

mormonkin

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
To be fair, it's fun to imagine yourself as someone cooler than you are, no matter how old you get. Our dads like to think of themselves as cowboys (at least mine does), I'd give my nuts to be a Space Marine etc. It's just that you shouldn't let these fantasies take over. Hell, even assuming that *~all fictional worlds are real somewhere in the infinitely vast, wondrous multiverse~* and that you really are an incarnation of your favourite anime/40K character/power tool- so what? Right here and now you're a human being on Earth, and regardless of whether or not you're Heero Yuy you really need a bath. Like, right now.

Giant Isopod
Jan 30, 2010

Bathynomus giganteus
Yams Fan

Considering the lds doctrine of the pre-mortal spirit world where we existed before birth, I am pretty sure this is already a thing

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp

CommissarMega posted:

To be fair, it's fun to imagine yourself as someone cooler than you are, no matter how old you get. Our dads like to think of themselves as cowboys (at least mine does), I'd give my nuts to be a Space Marine etc. It's just that you shouldn't let these fantasies take over. Hell, even assuming that *~all fictional worlds are real somewhere in the infinitely vast, wondrous multiverse~* and that you really are an incarnation of your favourite anime/40K character/power tool- so what? Right here and now you're a human being on Earth, and regardless of whether or not you're Heero Yuy you really need a bath. Like, right now.
See, the less crazy folks who are into this stuff tend not to think they are LITERALLY reincarnations of wolves or excavators or whatever. I know someone who self-ID'd as a furry until she found out about the creepy ones and got embarrassed. For her it was more of a metaphor, I think. Not wish fulfillment so much as "I have personality traits that I feel are represented by images of wolves."

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
I like cats.

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

To be fair, if I were to pretend I were a machine, I'd want to pretend I were something cool like a giant pink bulldozer.

Actually, make that a neon pink F15 with purple flames on the sides and a lime green canopy. Yeah. That's cool.

Maybe this person just watched too much Transformers and really dug Devastator? Now that I think about it, how come the badguys always got to be cool poo poo like tanks and jets and stuff?

Paladinus posted:

I like cats.

What a coincidence! Me too!

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

DicktheCat posted:

What a coincidence! Me too!

Maybe we are reincarnations of each other and also of cats.

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

Paladinus posted:

Maybe we are reincarnations of each other and also of cats.

It's cats all the way down.

Also, I drew this and I'm not sorry. It is SA's "spirit airplane"

Giant Isopod
Jan 30, 2010

Bathynomus giganteus
Yams Fan

DicktheCat posted:

Missed opportunity for a "cuckpit"

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
Who is driving? Bear is driving! How can this be?

I always liked to say that my spirit animal is the cockroach. Little fuckers are indestructible and that speaks to me. Forget being a regal, majestic predator. I want to be an unkillable species. It got some people unreasonably angry.

Though if I had to have a spirit machine it'd be the lever. Simple but profoundly useful. Very practical. One of the basic tools that will never go away.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
If it's powered by shitposts, shouldn't the engines' spray be brown rather than purple?

It's a good first draft, don't get me wrong. It can just be improved.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

ToxicSlurpee posted:

I always liked to say that my spirit animal is the cockroach. Little fuckers are indestructible and that speaks to me. Forget being a regal, majestic predator. I want to be an unkillable species. It got some people unreasonably angry.

Ahahaha, could you get into the specifics of this? How would your spirit animal somehow offend them, even if you were joking?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Damn Satyr
Nov 4, 2008

A connoisseur of fine junk

DicktheCat posted:

Excuse me you left out PINK JETS © DICK THE CAT 2016-2016 DO NOT COPY ALTER OR REDISTRIBUTE

• Locked thread